Type keyword(s) to search

RW Homecoming: New Orleans (2022)

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

It’s not enough to show the song is similar you have to show the writer was aware of the song.

Did not know that! Interesting.

21 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I feel like it has been acknowledged at some point that his song was at least "inspired" by Luck be a Lady.  They follow the same melody and structure, if I remember right. 

The melodies are slightly different but the main musical difference is that Luck is in a major key; Baby is in a minor key. They also share similar lyrics--eg., "Luck, let a gentleman see/How nice a dame you can be/I know the way you've treated other guys you've been with/Luck, be a lady with me."

Same, @starri. The New York Homecoming made me sad, because I had seen that season in the '90s and I loved that cast. I had trouble completing their reunion. The last two or three episodes just sat there until I could deal with them. The LA one was unpleasant in a different way. I never liked that cast and never thought they jelled in the first place, and this just verified that some things don't change. (That one episode with very little Tami wasn't bad, though. And it was nice to meet the trans teens in the last episode.) 

The New Orleans one, I'm genuinely enjoying. I'm sorry when episodes end, and I can't wait for the next one to become available. Even Julie isn't sinking it. It's hard to say why. It's just working better. Maybe they seem more sincere and more genuine in their real connections, or genuine in hoping to be connecting in ways they weren't before.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

Maybe they seem more sincere and more genuine in their real connections, or genuine in hoping to be connecting in ways they weren't before.

It helps that, again, excepting Julie, all of them seem to be there for the right reason.  Matt, Jamie, and to a lesser extent Melissa all seem to want to check out where life has taken everyone, Danny of course wants to put the trauma behind him (clearly with the experience, not just with Julie), Kelley is being a supportive friend, and Tokyo I think is looking for redemption--and earning the hell out of it.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, this is easily my fave of the reunions. Though, to be fair, I stopped watching the LA one after the first ep and the original NO season is my fave RW season.

Any word on what the next season will be if any?

I give a slight edge to the NY cast reunion because I just loved seeing how Eric,  Kevin and Julie especially came to be in the place they were.  Learning that Julie had really walked the walk in allyship and anti-racism was a nice bonus.   Heather and Julie's friendship felt like a warm hug. I felt bad for Norm, but loved how everyone rallied around him.  Becky was a big downer, but unlike this Julie her issue felt bone deep realistic and not like she was putting on a show. 

I couldn't even make it half way through episode 2 of LA.  I think they should have all stayed away.

I am liking this one a lot, so a very close second to NY for me.  Largely due to Tokyo, Melissa and Danny.  But also I see a lot of parallels between this cast reunion and the NY cast.  Even more so after hearing that Melissa's parents had come on the original show but their scenes got cut.  A parallel to Heather visiting with her dad on her original show but we never saw that footage either.  And yet in both shows, we got footage of both Julies (NY and NOLA's) parents visiting.  As someone upthread mentioned, Melissa's statement about the show being broadcast through a white lens and most especially the POV of the sheltered white girl. So that is the story gets a little more precedence.

• Love 4
(edited)

New Orleans did show Tokyo/David's mother visiting, in the David-heavy episode in which he was producing his first Real 7 and also preparing to sing the national anthem at the hockey game. So I don't think they left Shorty and Mercy out because of Melissa's race. 

I just think they had three other parental visits, and all of those connected better to issues dramatized in the season. David talked about how his mother was struggling back home, how he needed to work and be a success to help her. Then she came to see him and gave him encouragement about singing for thousands for the first time. Danny was newly out, and his parents and Paul were going to be in town at the same time, so that one was a must-do. And Julie's parents had been against her doing the show. Just by being on The Real World, she was putting in jeopardy the future her father had mapped out for her.

I really liked Melissa, but I didn't watch RWNO in 2000 thinking there should have been even more focus on her. A lot of viewers back then were actually complaining when five of the first 11 episodes were focused on her. She was getting called "ME-lissa," etc. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, DearEvette said:

But also I see a lot of parallels between this cast reunion and the NY cast.  Even more so after hearing that Melissa's parents had come on the original show but their scenes got cut.  A parallel to Heather visiting with her dad on her original show but we never saw that footage either.  And yet in both shows, we got footage of both Julies (NY and NOLA's) parents visiting.  As someone upthread mentioned, Melissa's statement about the show being broadcast through a white lens and most especially the POV of the sheltered white girl. So that is the story gets a little more precedence.

I literally JUST finished watching the NY one yesterday and immediately thought of Melissa's parents when Heather was speaking about that. 

They could have cut the entire episode built around a supposed romance that wasn't actually happening between Melissa and that dude Ryan, and given us Melissa and her parents instead, since they were and are such a trip. It was so annoying watching that episode with all the interview footage of "I could potentially date Ryan" and such, only to have it close out with Melissa acknowledging that actually Ryan just wanted to be on camera. (It did make me laugh that she had to phrase it as "attracted to the glitz and glamour of our beautiful house" because they weren't allowed to say meta stuff like that.)

• Love 1
(edited)

@Black Knight, that was Matt, wasn't it? (Identified onscreen as "Frat Matt" to distinguish between him and the cast member.)

Ryan was her pre-RW boyfriend, who came with the two Michaels for her birthday.

I can understand the confusion, because they were only two episodes apart. The Melissa was heavy. 

I wonder if Matt or Kelley hosted anyone from back home. We saw family members, old friends, and/or pre-RW significant others for everyone else. Kelley is hanging out with a young woman her age when she's having the fight with Jamie and he calls her (Kelley) a psycho, but the friend has no lines and we don't see their visit. I don't know whether she's someone Kelley knew from Arkansas or New Orleans.

Edited by Asp Burger
35 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

@Black Knight, that was Matt, wasn't it? (Identified onscreen as "Frat Matt" to distinguish between him and the cast member.)

Ryan was her pre-RW boyfriend, who came with the two Michaels for her birthday.

Probably so. I haven't rewatched the season and the storyline I mentioned wasn't part of the Youtube compilations I've seen (gosh, I wonder why, couldn't have been because it was so boring and ultimately pointless), so I could easily be mixing up names of dudes.

(edited)
On 5/14/2022 at 4:43 PM, MrBuhBye said:

Any word on what the next season will be if any?

If you believe Dan Renzi he says everyone from Miami is on board and BMP is having talks with them. 

I think they cut parents visiting unless they need the footage to explain something happening (like Landon missing work) or to show some depth to the character (Alton's mom visit  when we find out his brother was murderd)

Off the top of my head I can remember the following cast members who aren't white who had family visits shown: Malik's father (he hadn't met?), Alton's mom, Teck's father, Janet's family. 

Also we had Adam's friends during Paris

Most uncomfortable family visit: Sarah's mom in Philly.

They could have cut the Fratt Matt episode at least when Ryan and his friends visit it was her birthday episode (which probably Melissa wishes they would have cut)

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1

The highlight of the Frat Matt episode was at the beginning, when Melissa is walking around Belfort all grouchy, saying she's going to go out and find herself a guy, because she's sick of the men in the house being all attractive and unavailable. While she's saying the "attractive and unavailable" part, she turns a corner and walks into Danny, who's brushing his teeth. It was like a sitcom moment.

I think someone mentioned it on here already but it was reported somewhere before by Melissa IIRC that shorty would acknowledge and talk directly to the cameras way too much in their first visit so they couldn't use most of the footage and that's why the visit wasn't shown.  

• Love 1

There are quotes from S&M (ha!) in the book. Shorty actually says he was "relaxed" and "just acted normal, like [his] crazy self" in front of the cameras. He says he's glad Melissa did Real World and that she's more confident now ("now" being 2000, post taping). He liked all of the roommates and was impressed by them. He didn't like the house. It looked better on TV than in person. "No feng shui." 

Mercy was scared for Melissa, because of all the crazy people in the world who know her now. She had seen Ruthie in Hawaii and told Melissa she had better not take off her clothes. Then she found out about the stripping incident and hoped it wouldn't be too bad. She liked the house, except for the cameras. She liked the roommates, especially the guys. She mentions the church outing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Off the top of my head I can remember the following cast members who aren't white who had family visits shown: Malik's father (he hadn't met?), Alton's mom, Teck's father, Janet's family. 

Arissa's uncle, what a gem he was.

Edited by snarts

I think Elka's dad and sibling(s) visit her in Boston.

On 5/14/2022 at 6:11 PM, Asp Burger said:

I've heard rumors of Vegas or Austin. Blech x2. 

Vegas already had a redo. And Austin? Really? All you need to do is watch a Challenge to see most of those morons.

I'd be interested in Chicago, Paris, San Diego, and Philadelphia (sounds like Seattle, Boston, and Hawaii have been written off as no-gos). Anything after that would be so superfluous since most of the later casts sign up for Challenges now.

(edited)
16 hours ago, snarts said:

Arissa's uncle, what a gem he was.

Oh right forgot about him.  I also forgot about Jamie's family.

13 hours ago, Tatum said:

Vegas already had a redo. And Austin? Really? All you need to do is watch a Challenge to see most of those morons.

I'd be interested in Chicago, Paris, San Diego, and Philadelphia (sounds like Seattle, Boston, and Hawaii have been written off as no-gos). Anything after that would be so superfluous since most of the later casts sign up for Challenges now.

According to Leah Paris has not even been contacted. 

Edited by choclatechip45
(edited)
21 minutes ago, MerBearStare said:

I 100% forgot about the Paris season, so this doesn't surprise me.

I think Leah said we were too boring. It doesn't sound like San Diego or Philadelphia has been asked either by the way the cast members who have been asked if a homecoming will happen talk about it, but who knows. 

I wouldn't mind an original Vegas homecoming. Since it's been almost 20 years since the original season Brynn is divorced, Irulan is married with kids, Steven has a kid, and Trishelle is married. I think the biggest issue with Vegas is the females all still talk to each other while the males don't. So it might be boring. I would prefer original Vegas over Austin or Key West.

Edited by choclatechip45
9 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I think Leah said we were too boring. It doesn't sound like San Diego or Philadelphia has been asked either by the way the cast members who have been asked if a homecoming will happen talk about it, but who knows. 

I wouldn't mind an original Vegas homecoming. Since it's been almost 20 years since the original season Brynn is divorced, Irulan is married with kids, Steven has a kid, and Trishelle is married. I think the biggest issue with Vegas is the females all still talk to each other while the males don't. So it might be boring. I would prefer original Vegas over Austin or Key West.

When did Brynn get divorced? I was actually surprised her marriage lasted as long as it did, by that I mean she was still married when they did the Vegas Reunited. Although, looking it up, it aired in 2007- I was thinking it was a lot more recent. Reunited would only be like 5-6 years since the original season.

Is all B/M looking for are casts that are going to fight with each other? I get they don't want the reunions to be boring, but it seems like they are going down the same Trash-tastic road that ruined the original series. Leave it to Julie to set that bar.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Tatum said:

When did Brynn get divorced? I was actually surprised her marriage lasted as long as it did, by that I mean she was still married when they did the Vegas Reunited. Although, looking it up, it aired in 2007- I was thinking it was a lot more recent. Reunited would only be like 5-6 years since the original season.

Five of the Las Vegas cast reunited in 2019 (no Steven or Alton) and Trishelle continues to lobby a full reunion.

On 5/14/2022 at 8:26 PM, Asp Burger said:

New Orleans did show Tokyo/David's mother visiting, in the David-heavy episode in which he was producing his first Real 7 and also preparing to sing the national anthem at the hockey game.

I loved that episode.  His mom was great.  Does anyone know how she is?

7 hours ago, Tatum said:

Is all B/M looking for are casts that are going to fight with each other? I get they don't want the reunions to be boring, but it seems like they are going down the same Trash-tastic road that ruined the original series. Leave it to Julie to set that bar.

I think somewhat recently Brynn did an interview when that Go Big or Go Home season was airing and she was still married to Austin. She mentioned in her interview with Mike Lewis she wanted to do a homecoming season because she was a single mom and could use the paycheck. 

I have something nice to say about Julie. Her abs looked amazing for a mom of 3. I’m jealous as a 28 yo with no kids 😂. Now back to our regularly scheduled program. If I were Jamie’s wife, I would be pissedddd at my husband. He shouldn’t even give the producers the illusion that he’s going to fool around Julie. I hope he warned her.

I’m an apathetic Christian, but I could understand Matt’s perspective. I find astrology so interesting that I would have absolutely gotten the tarot card read.

That’s all I got. This one was more low key.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, moonchild81 said:

I'd be pleasantly surprised 22 year old Jamie was capable of giving a woman an orgasm (particularly an extremely inexperienced one who would not have been able to give any guidance to the man whatsoever on what she enjoyed), but considering what a pathological liar Julie is I'm remaining skeptical. Jamie never struck me as someone particularly interested in making sex pleasurable for his partner, at least not at that point in his life.

• Love 8

I don’t know why, but the idea of those two hooking up is slightly revolting. And it sounds like Jamie did not want to talk about this at all, but Julie had to have her moment. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Because I actually own Real World New Orleans: Unmasked, read it cover to cover when it was published in 2000, and got it out of storage just to brush up for the Homecoming season, you know I was getting everything right on that quiz. 

Trivia from the book: Kelley gave David/Tokyo a tarot reading too, and she told him that he was going to be successful in something, but not music. Not something he wanted to hear at the time. 

I loved this episode. It connected so well to various things in the season; it was a treat for a hardcore fan of this cast.

Those Jamie/Julie scenes, in which they were so not on the same page but Julie wasn't seeing it, were comedy gold. But then I started feeling a little sorry for him, because he looked so uncomfortable. I like him much more now than on RWNO.

Danny might have the line of the season, which is no mean feat when you're in a cast with Melissa. All the sensitive talk to Julie about intimacy and human needs, and then, "Jamie just had a boner." 

When Kelley is glammed up in interviews, she reminds me of Kirsten Cohen on The O.C., and when she isn't and she's just lounging around in her bathrobe, she reminds me of a fortyish Katharine Hepburn. She has good bone structure. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 4
(edited)

Matt is such a smug ass ... just admit you're a homophobic bigot because of your "religion" and move on don't pull out the asshole I answered the question when you skirted around it like a douche. I mean if you are gonna pull this whole religious shit then stand by that and ADMIT it don't pussyfoot around it and use religion has a shield but dance around actually answering the question honestly ...

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 14

So Jamie had failed businesses and ended up as a trucker?  I wonder if it was long haul like truck stops, pavement princesses, and chewing tobacco?  I also wonder if he married money because it looks like that place is in an upscale Chicago neighborhood and thus very expensive.

• Love 3
(edited)

That episode was so painfully awkward to watch. They let the cast off easy with the quotes from the book-I remember a lot of the cast talking smack about each other (mainly Danny/Kelley vs. Melissa/Jamie) and many were upfront that they were unlikely to keep in touch with each other, though as someone mentioned upthread, Melissa disavowed the book shortly after the show ended. I remember Kelley and Danny talking a lot about how fake they found Jamie's persona to be, and Danny saying that he knew that Jamie wasn't as in love with a girl who he had met in New Orleans as he claimed to be/that he had messed around on her with other girls. Kelley/Jamie had hooked up a few times prior to Kelley meeting Peter, and Danny and Kelley would have occasional makeout sessions. I am grateful that production has spared us from seeing clips of Julie crushing on Matt, at least so far. 

Edited by BelleBrit
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Julie is really gross cringe, everyone could see how tight-lipped and uncomfortable Jamie was with this entire conversation (every single time she inappropriately brings it up) but kept going because she was determined to force this storyline onto the show and onto him against his will.  He's married, STFU! I almost wonder if there even was a hookup, or she just invented it.

I guess Danny was the lone gay so none of his housemates lusted after him, but damn he was so much more of a catch than Jamie IMO.

Matt did answer that question "do you feel the same way today" with his compulsive nodding and darting eyes even if he tried to be diplomatic with his words: he's chosen not to grow or broaden his perspective at all.  And what he said to Danny was terrible, that he should just pray his homosexuality away.  That was some creepy footage of Matt's home life, holding his wife's hands in that all-white room and praying in front of the sunflowers while talking about his wife's miscarriage was a lot. 

The psychic woman was so blunt and direct, almost like she's trying to be a tarot life coach or something. 

• Love 8

It's like Julie is actively looking to have a fling. Watching her is hella uncomfortable and it makes me see her awkward shower suggestion with Tokyo in a different light. What kind of reunion does she think they're having?

I really dislike Matt. Keep your judgy religious views to yourself. He owns a marketing agency, makes you wonder how he'd treat an LGBTQ+ employee. 

• Love 9

Danny and Kelly would have occasional makeout sessions.

Wait, what?

makes you wonder how he'd treat an LGBTQ+ employee

Assuming he has any to begin with.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Wait, what?

Assuming he has any to begin with.

I think that there was also a bit about this in the Real World New Orleans you Never Saw.  In the book they said it was innocent, it seems Kelley and Danny were just two attractive people who tried kissing for the hell of it, and they said that they were going to laugh if it turned into an episode about what they were doing under the covers.  Danny did say in one of the earlier (original New Orleans) episodes that he was "attracted to Kelley and Jamie big time." In the Real World You Never Saw video, Julie insists to them that she hears them making "sounds" under the covers, and they said that it was mostly cuddling going on. 

I agree that it seems Julie is looking for a fling, and not just to make herself a storyline. Her discussion with Jamie when they were jumping rope was so odd, especially in the context of her wanting to room with him because they had unfinished business. 

Edited by BelleBrit
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

I feel really bad for Jamie's wife. I hope he was upfront with her since there are children involved. I did crack up at Matt's reaction to F Buddy. 

I am super curious about Matt's fridge and I liked the Matt/Melissa scenes especially Melissa talking to his wife. I don't remember them interacting much on the edited show back in the day, but it also makes sense why Melissa has been saying positive stuff about Matt when asked about him. 

I really really liked Kelley and Danny in this episode I found them both hilarious. I can see why they are friends. 

Oh boy the book. Didn't one of the producers reveal Kelley wrote Jamie a letter about how they should hook up and Jamie never responded to said letter? Which is why Kelley hated him for most of the season.

Oh Matt. Yikes. I know Danny was waiting to confront Matt. He's been talking about his distaste for Matt since his podcast tour in 2020 and I don't blame him.

The previews I am curious about Julie's husband, but I also find the Jamie/Julie scenes uncomfortable since she clearly wants to sleep with him. 

• Love 3

I'm looking forward to Danny reading Matt for homophobic filth.

I liked their little Y2K party; production really did set them up nicely to dress their parts.  Melissa was the best, of course.  I love her coming down the stairs last saying, "Y'all think you have costumes?"  And Melissa finally got to hear her song.

It was nice to finally get some more information on some of their regular lives.  Matt's is pretty much everything I'd have expected it to be, but it was nice to learn a little about the path Jamie took.  I like that he's grown out of his arrogance to an acceptance that not everyone becomes Mark Zuckerberg.  I wonder what he does for a living now, but he seems satisfied. 

Is Tokyo the only one who doesn't have kids?  Matt has enough for the whole house, Danny has one, Jamie has two, and the rest have three each. 

I have as much use for tarot cards as I do religion, which is to say none, but I'd have gone along with it unless I thought I couldn't keep my eyeballs from rolling; if I feared I was going to be disrespectful, I'd have said no thanks.  Typical that everyone else just rolled with Matt's choice, but Julie had to harp on it, like she does when everyone else goes to bed and she's the only one up.  I fell out when "Santeria" started playing over Matt hanging out in his room ("I don't practice Santeria, I ain't got no crystal ball").

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Glade said:

I almost wonder if there even was a hookup, or she just invented it.

I would be really surprised if there was, but if she was just completely making it up, I would think Jamie would say so, so maybe it's true. It would just surprise me since Jamie's main issue with women was that they wouldn't just fuck him while having no expectations of any kind of relationship. I seem to recall him saying his biggest problem with women was they either wouldn't even talk to him, or wanted to marry him, and there was no in between. Julie, being so inexperienced and sheltered, would be someone I think he would definitely fear would turn clingy after any kind of hookup.

I think one of the reasons he liked Kelley, besides the obvious fact that he was physically attracted to her, was because she said she did not like being in relationships (which I kind of doubt, given her two subsequent long term relationships with little break in between, but what do I know).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Tatum said:

I would be really surprised if there was, but if she was just completely making it up, I would think Jamie would say so, so maybe it's true.

Jaime did say he didn't remember any hookup, so I think he was caught off guard and trying to give her the benefit of the doubt that he could have just forgotten or was possibly drunk at the time (since he mentioned hard-partying through his 20's.) We've seen him try to be firm with his boundaries but not want to be unkind/hurt her feelings.  So I think it's possible nothing happened (or the 'hookup' was one kiss) and Julie just spun out this story. 

• Love 1

Is it possible Julie is such a sociopath that she’d flat out make the whole thing up, including it being her first orgasm? Or maybe she fantasized about it and convinced herself it happened and truly believes it? 

I do wonder if she and her husband have an open relationship. She told him she’s flirting with all the guys in the house, she asked Tokyo to shower with her, she wanted to room with Jamie so they could finish their unfinished business…

• Love 7
(edited)

I do believe Julie on this one. She and Jamie went so quickly from the Belfort to the Extreme Challenge, so they were around each other a lot in 2000. I don't have trouble believing they hooked up in a hotel room and did everything short of intercourse, and it was a big deal to her, less so to him.

Julie might not even have been the only girl in that cast Jamie fooled around with. I have a dim memory of rumors about him and the Road Rules team's Michelle (RIP). I also remember the cheerleading challenge, in which the two teams made up cheers mocking each other. One of the taunts in the RR team's was "Rebecca, you're caught in between / Syrus livin' in a teenage dream / and Jamie hits on our whole team."

Speaking of Extreme Challenge, this episode of Homecoming showed the Jamie/Julie portion of the fetish fashion show in Germany. They were spoofing John and Lorena Bobbitt. That episode aired when it was the new one, and possibly a few more times that week, before being pulled. It didn't get the customary re-airing the following week to lead into the next episode, and it was never seen again, even in marathons. Speculation was that there had been a cease-and-desist letter over unauthorized likenesses of Homer and Marge Simpson. Rebecca and Kameelah (respectively) played them in a scat-fetish skit.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Useful 1
34 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

I do believe Julie on this one. She and Jamie went so quickly from the Belfort to the Extreme Challenge, so they were around each other a lot in 2000. I don't have trouble believe they hooked up in a hotel room and did everything short of intercourse, and it was a big deal to her, less so to him.

Julie might not even have been the only girl in that cast Jamie fooled around with. I have a dim memory of rumors about him and the Road Rules team's Michelle (RIP). I also remember the cheerleading challenge, in which the two teams made up cheers mocking each other. One of the taunts in the RR team's was "Rebecca, you're caught in between / Syrus livin' in a teenage dream / and Jamie hits on our whole team."

Speaking of Extreme Challenge, this episode of Homecoming showed the Jamie/Julie portion of the fetish fashion show in Germany. They were spoofing John and Lorena Bobbitt. That episode aired when it was the new one, and possibly a few more times that week, before being pulled. It didn't get the customary re-airing the following week to lead into the next episode, and it was never seen again, even in marathons. Speculation was that there had been a cease-and-desist letter over unauthorized likenesses of Homer and Marge Simpson. Rebecca and Kameelah (respectively) played them in a scat-fetish skit.

Was that the fashion show that Tina Fey and Amy Poehler judged?