Type keyword(s) to search

RW Homecoming: New Orleans (2022)

• Start Topic

Also, 

Helloooo everyone! I had to dust off my username and reset my password, it’s been that long, but I’ve been stoked to have so much new Real World, old school Bunim/Murray content and great insights from you all to dive into here.

All three seasons of Homecoming have been cathartic in ways I never anticipated, despite becoming a regular watcher of RW somewhere around Miami/London. In fact I only watched the original NY and Los Angeles seasons in their entirety recently. I’m such a sap that I had tears streaming down my face for much of NY Homecoming. Their bond is just so special, and witnessing their continued affection really did feel like a warm hug from an old friend. 

With all 3 seasons there’s just something so gratifying about seeing these cast members not much older than me whose lives were captured during a brief window of their youth, yet still grappling with being defined by their actions and relationships from that time so many years later…and now also carrying the inevitable baggage that accompanies middle age and everything that transpired between then and now. We’re getting everything from transformation and evolved consciousness (NY’s Eric, Kevin, and Julie, Tokyo) to still savvily trading in on their names or connections (Heather Beth, Tami, Kelley) to a few who are clearly wrestling with demons or lacking  emotional intelligence (Becky, David, Julie). 

But I would say the majority seem to have settled into their next chapters if not totally gracefully at least with self-awareness and calm perspective. All these years later, I’m still looking up to many of them for how I hope my next years will play out, but that admiration is no longer rooted in who’s the most glamorous or who has acquired fame or success—my priorities and benchmarks for happiness have changed right along with them.

BOY HOWDY am I cheesed off about scrapped plans for a Boston reunion (my favorite cast) if it’s true that Sean is the only one  holding up the works by ignoring public health measures. WE DON’T NEED HIM. Unfortunately I suspect the producers may disagree, thinking that both he and horrid Rachel would be the necessary fulcrums for instigating drama with their cast mates at reunions of both their seasons (aside from Puck). They can both drown in a bubbling vat of rancid Wisconsin cheddar. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Zizzlezazzle said:

Also, 

Helloooo everyone! I had to dust off my username and reset my password, it’s been that long, but I’ve been stoked to have so much new Real World, old school Bunim/Murray content and great insights from you all to dive into here.

All three seasons of Homecoming have been cathartic in ways I never anticipated, despite becoming a regular watcher of RW somewhere around Miami/London. In fact I only watched the original NY and Los Angeles seasons in their entirety recently. I’m such a sap that I had tears streaming down my face for much of NY Homecoming. Their bond is just so special, and witnessing their continued affection really did feel like a warm hug from an old friend. 

With all 3 seasons there’s just something so gratifying about seeing these cast members not much older than me whose lives were captured during a brief window of their youth, yet still grappling with being defined by their actions and relationships from that time so many years later…and now also carrying the inevitable baggage that accompanies middle age and everything that transpired between then and now. We’re getting everything from transformation and evolved consciousness (NY’s Eric, Kevin, and Julie, Tokyo) to still savvily trading in on their names or connections (Heather Beth, Tami, Kelley) to a few who are clearly wrestling with demons or lacking  emotional intelligence (Becky, David, Julie). 

But I would say the majority seem to have settled into their next chapters if not totally gracefully at least with self-awareness and calm perspective. All these years later, I’m still looking up to many of them for how I hope my next years will play out, but that admiration is no longer rooted in who’s the most glamorous or who has acquired fame or success—my priorities and benchmarks for happiness have changed right along with them.

BOY HOWDY am I cheesed off about scrapped plans for a Boston reunion (my favorite cast) if it’s true that Sean is the only one  holding up the works by ignoring public health measures. WE DON’T NEED HIM. Unfortunately I suspect the producers may disagree, thinking that both he and horrid Rachel would be the necessary fulcrums for instigating drama with their cast mates at reunions of both their seasons (aside from Puck). They can both drown in a bubbling vat of rancid Wisconsin cheddar. 

Genesis has said he won't do it because he plans to run for office again. At least that is what he told the rest of them. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Zizzlezazzle said:

But that’s also Kelley on this reunion: inaccessible and not particularly relatable.

I find Kelley totally relatable. Watching a married woman desperately try to rekindle a basically nothing romance with a married man would make me very uncomfortable. If I was present and acted like it was fine, I think that would be breaking girl code or something. Like someone said before Julie doesn't give a damn about anyone else (not thinking about the consequences for her kids if she was anti-Mormon) and I would me horrified to watch her blatantly sexual overtones toward Jamie. Especially when it's evident Jamie isn't interested. And if he did act interested, if I were Kelly, I would probably have words with Jamie.

• Love 10
58 minutes ago, MamaGee said:

I find Kelley totally relatable. Watching a married woman desperately try to rekindle a basically nothing romance with a married man would make me very uncomfortable. If I was present and acted like it was fine, I think that would be breaking girl code or something. Like someone said before Julie doesn't give a damn about anyone else (not thinking about the consequences for her kids if she was anti-Mormon) and I would me horrified to watch her blatantly sexual overtones toward Jamie. Especially when it's evident Jamie isn't interested. And if he did act interested, if I were Kelly, I would probably have words with Jamie.

Oh it’s completely uncomfortable and mortifying—but it is for everyone else there too. This whole week represents that cast bearing down harder than they’ve had to in a long while to get through Julie’s desperate machinations, I’d imagine. But Kelley isn’t wearing her life coach hat in the house and regardless isn’t responsible for the actions of Julie and Jamie, two grown adults. 

• Love 7
On 5/27/2022 at 2:17 PM, MrBuhBye said:

Yes but they don’t say women are sinners for just existing.

On 5/27/2022 at 10:51 AM, heatherchandler said:

Oh, well that's OK then. 🙄

I'm struck but statements that the Catholic Church is, on its face, a misogynistic and homophobic religion. Would they feel that comfy saying the same of Islam without being called out as Islamophobic and hateful? Just wondering. Personally, I don't agree with Matt's stance on homosexuality and prolly a whole LOTTA things politically, socially, and theologically (abortion, women in the priesthood, etc.) but I admire his integrity and what seems like his genuine desire to build bridges with Danny and to love him and wish him nothing but the best. YMMV.

Danny needs Matt to say that he accepts him unconditionally and isn't just "overlooking" his "sin." Matt needs Danny to say that they can be friends despite the fact Matt is still struggling with his and the church's views on homosexuality. Both stances are understandable, but neither one is ready/willing/able to say what the other needs to hear. Sometimes friends need to wish each the best with love and walk away. That said, I was really moved by Matt and Danny's conversation on the park bench. I think they're good people with differing views who were able to engage each other respectfully and honestly. It was refreshing. More of that, please. 

I feel Kelley. Gossiping about hook ups was fun in college. It's just exhausting in your 40s. I think Julie genuinely loves Spence, but I feel like she is skirting pretty close to emotional infidelity with Jamie. 

• Love 4

I couldn't stand Kelley during her original season I found her gossipy and annoying. 

I like her this time around. I also like how she is trying to have her own relationships with the other roommates. I expected to her hang out with Danny the whole time, but I like we've seen her try to get to know Matt, Julie and Melissa. I'm assuming she also got to know Tokyo, but we haven't seen that. I don't think he would be posting positive things about Kelley on his instagram. She also looked genuinely happy see everyone. I really liked that moment between her and Tokyo during the premiere. 

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Zizzlezazzle said:

regardless isn’t responsible for the actions of Julie and Jamie, two grown adults. 

They are the only ones responsible for their actions but I wouldn't sit around and watch that sh**. Like we've seen her say to Julie she didn't sign up for a show about _________. I can't help but wonder if it's adultery. That would cross a line for me. 

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, bourbon said:

Would they feel that comfy saying the same of Islam without being called out as Islamophobic and hateful? Just wondering.

Any religion that uses hate speech as a tenet is despicable.  Hope that answers your question. I was talking about Catholicism because that’s what Matt is but nice whataboutism.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Genesis has said he won't do it because he plans to run for office again. At least that is what he told the rest of them. 

That makes sense (blech). I still wish they’d just do it without Sean, but I guess if they had an agreement among them that all 7 had to be on board, it is what it is..

so yay…Miami? Some hard gets there too, as I don’t think Melissa has been seen since the show, or Mike, or Sarah…

43 minutes ago, Zizzlezazzle said:

That makes sense (blech). I still wish they’d just do it without Sean, but I guess if they had an agreement among them that all 7 had to be on board, it is what it is..

so yay…Miami? Some hard gets there too, as I don’t think Melissa has been seen since the show, or Mike, or Sarah…

Sounds like the producers said all 7 need to need it. 

they were willing to do Hawaii without but once Kaia and Collin decided to back out after saying yes they scrapped it and that’s how we got New Orleans.

9 hours ago, Zizzlezazzle said:

She missed the drag show to work on her book—is that why she was also absent for the second airboat ride? By the way, her book, Flow,  isn’t self-published, but the publisher also isn’t a well-known nonfiction imprint or Canadian extension of one of the big houses (Random/Penguin, Hachette, Harper, etc.) So why was this deadline so imperative? Who’s waiting with baited breath for this book?

Uh--her editor? The firm which presumably gave her an advance and expects her to adhere to a schedule?  Her professionalism is a good thing.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I couldn't stand Kelley during her original season I found her gossipy and annoying. 

I like her this time around. I also like how she is trying to have her own relationships with the other roommates. I expected to her hang out with Danny the whole time, but I like we've seen her try to get to know Matt, Julie and Melissa. I'm assuming she also got to know Tokyo, but we haven't seen that. I don't think he would be posting positive things about Kelley on his instagram. She also looked genuinely happy see everyone. I really liked that moment between her and Tokyo during the premiere. 

She was my favorite in the original season, and I've stayed consistent.

2000: Kelley > Danny > Melissa > David (hard to like a lot of the time, but good entertainment) > Matt > Julie > Jamie 

2022: Kelley > Danny > Melissa > Tokyo > Jamie > Matt > Julie 

So Jamie gets my "most improved."

Matt has never really bothered me, but stories actually about him were always dull. He was more of a reactive person.

Re: Tokyo and Kelley. I don't know if this is something I've posted here before, but they apparently had a better relationship in New Orleans than what we saw. He said in the book that she was the closest he made to a real friend there. You can kind of see it in the scene where she's getting his thoughts about whether she should stay in New Orleans with Peter when taping is done. The rest of the season would lead us to believe Danny would be the only one whose opinion she'd ask. She asks David if he would stay if he met someone, and he says, "It would have to be a fine-ass broad!" 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Zizzlezazzle said:

By the way, her book, Flow,  isn’t self-published, but the publisher also isn’t a well-known nonfiction imprint or Canadian extension of one of the big houses (Random/Penguin, Hachette, Harper, etc.) So why was this deadline so imperative? Who’s waiting with baited breath for this book?

Wouldn’t deadlines be more important with a smaller publisher since they are less equipped to absorb a loss?  

33 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

She was my favorite in the original season, and I've stayed consistent.

2000: Kelley > Danny > Melissa > David (hard to like a lot of the time, but good entertainment) > Matt > Julie > Jamie 

2022: Kelley > Danny > Melissa > Tokyo > Jamie > Matt > Julie 

So Jamie gets my "most improved."

Matt has never really bothered me, but stories actually about him were always dull. He was more of a reactive person.

Re: Tokyo and Kelley. I don't know if this is something I've posted here before, but they apparently had a better relationship in New Orleans than what we saw. He said in the book that she was the closest he made to a real friend there. You can kind of see it in the scene where she's getting his thoughts about whether she should stay in New Orleans with Peter when taping is done. The rest of the season would lead us to believe Danny would be the only one whose opinion she'd ask. She asks David if he would stay if he met someone, and he says, "It would have to be a fine-ass broad!" 

Melissa and Danny were my favorites in the original! Kelley is my most improved!

8 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Uh--her editor? The firm which presumably gave her an advance and expects her to adhere to a schedule?  Her professionalism is a good thing.

Nah, not buying it (former book publishing editor here). At the writing stage, those deadlines are created with room for reasonable extensions, unless the manuscript is at a last pass that needs to get to the printer, which wouldn’t  involve her at that point. Some writers end up having to give their advances back, but you would have had ample warning and time to reorganize with your editor before it came to that.

She was there for *one week*—this was pure avoidance.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Dani said:

Wouldn’t deadlines be more important with a smaller publisher since they are less equipped to absorb a loss?  

They are, but not the ones that involve her as a writer—a good editor would build in time with some padding that accounts for requested extensions (within reason) from the author. It’s possible that Kelley exhausted that last possible window for turning in the manuscript the very same week she happened to be in New Orleans, but she would have had sufficient warning before heading there.

(edited)
15 hours ago, Zizzlezazzle said:

She was there for *one week*—this was pure avoidance.

They were there for two weeks.

Maybe she was in the middle of something and she didn't want to lose the thread. I've written before, so I know how that can be. Anyway, I'm sure when all the negotiating was going on in trying to get the whole cast back together (something that proved impossible with several casts leading up to theirs), she said she was going to be working on a book and she'd participate as much as she could. She and Melissa were the two last to sign on.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

They were there for two weeks.

Maybe she was in the middle of something and she didn't want to lose the thread. I've written before, so I know how that can be. Anyway, I'm sure when all the negotiating was going on in trying to get the whole cast back together (something that proved impossible with several casts leading up theirs), she said she was going to be working on a book and she'd participate as much as she could. She and Melissa were the two last to sign on.

*Two Weeks* thanks, I stand corrected there. The timing still leads me to believe working on the manuscript was more of an outlet and an escape than a necessity, but I’m glad she was able to figure everything out.

After peeping the publisher’s website, it’s also pretty clear that she was paid way more to do the reunion than that book advance would have been. 

• LOL 1

Kelley mentioned in an interview that timing for the reunion changed a couple times and once it finally happened it then conflicted with her obligations with the book that caused her to have to complete some of the work while in New Orleans. 

I'm just happy that everyone chose to participate. They all have busy lives and it's hard to carve out two full weeks. Were they also required to quarantine before entering the house?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Zizzlezazzle said:

*Two Weeks* thanks, I stand corrected there. The timing still leads me to believe working on the manuscript was more of an outlet and an escape than a necessity, but I’m glad she was able to figure everything out.

After peeping the publisher’s website, it’s also pretty clear that she was paid way more to do the reunion than that book advance would have been. 

And actually, I’m realizing neither of the 2 primary search hits for “Three Trees,”  the publisher listed for her book on Amazon, in any combination of publishing/press/books lead to a separate publisher’s site where Kelley’s book is also displayed and sold. One site leads to an old looking website of an author promoting their own trilogy of books, and the other leads to a bookstore in Washington. 

Okay, hoisting my sad Nancy Drew butt off this hill now—writing a book in any capacity is a huge accomplishment!—but there’s a lot of spin going on here in regards to the urgency.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, snarts said:

Kelley mentioned in an interview that timing for the reunion changed a couple times and once it finally happened it then conflicted with her obligations with the book that caused her to have to complete some of the work while in New Orleans. 

I'm just happy that everyone chose to participate. They all have busy lives and it's hard to carve out two full weeks. Were they also required to quarantine before entering the house?

Yes they all had to be quarantined a week beforehand and vaccinated. 

They were originally suppose to film in September but a hurricane delayed it. 

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, Zizzlezazzle said:

They are, but not the ones that involve her as a writer—a good editor would build in time with some padding that accounts for requested extensions (within reason) from the author. It’s possible that Kelley exhausted that last possible window for turning in the manuscript the very same week she happened to be in New Orleans, but she would have had sufficient warning before heading there.

Does it really matter is she actually had wiggle room? I always try to set my personal deadlines ahead of the real deadlines to give me breathing room. I hate feeling pressed for time and taking things down to the wire. Kelley isn’t required to sacrifice her comfort level for the show. Even if she 100% used it as an excuse because she didn’t want to go there is nothing wrong with that. 

15 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Re: Tokyo and Kelley. I don't know if this is something I've posted here before, but they apparently had a better relationship in New Orleans than what we saw. He said in the book that she was the closest he made to a real friend there.

I suspected that was the case when he walked into the house for this reunion, they shared a very long hug, and she said, "I forgot what great hugs you give."  And when she quickly peeped to how he'd come into this so much more open than the first time, having an early moment where she looked at and listened to him and said something like, "Wow, I am seeing your soul right now" -- like she'd seen him less guarded at times back in the day, and was recognizing him.

Your ranking of favorite roomies then and now made me realize that, for a season I enjoyed, I didn't truly like most of these people.  It was more about the group dynamic, and not hating any of them (and probably helped by taking place in one of my favorite cities).  I mildly disliked Jamie and Matt, Julie really bugged at times (but nothing that would have predicted the sheer loathing I'd have for her now), and Danny and Kelley I mildly liked but was largely neutral on.  Tokyo was my least favorite, but I didn't hate him, I found him ridiculous.  Melissa was my favorite; her insecurities were painful to watch, but she was good at seeing others, and society in general, accurately.  Plus, she's hilarious; one of the best natural senses of humor I've seen.  (So it's oddly - given I have no personal connection to her - gratifying to see Melissa now, being her best self.)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Dani said:

Does it really matter is she actually had wiggle room? I always try to set my personal deadlines ahead of the real deadlines to give me breathing room. I hate feeling pressed for time and taking things down to the wire. Kelley isn’t required to sacrifice her comfort level to for the show. Even if she 100% used it as an excuse because she didn’t want to go there is nothing wrong with that. 

And we've heard that the only reason Kelley is there at all is because Danny decided he wanted to do the reunion. She's there to support him. So I can see where reunion stuff is going to be lower on her list of priorities. Given how she was on her original season, I have no problem believing she's very Type-A about deadlines.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

gratifying to see Melissa now, being her best self

Not loving Melissa this time around.   She’s got a permanent scowl, always rolling her eyes,  like she’s thinking I’m too good for this but gracing the group with her presence.  I loved her during the 2000 show,  I read her blog religiously.. she was funny and relatable.  Now I’m just really put off.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Dani said:

Does it really matter is she actually had wiggle room? I always try to set my personal deadlines ahead of the real deadlines to give me breathing room. I hate feeling pressed for time and taking things down to the wire. Kelley isn’t required to sacrifice her comfort level for the show. Even if she 100% used it as an excuse because she didn’t want to go there is nothing wrong with that. 

Uhhh she kind of is. They all signed the contract, and that’s kind of the gist of this whole enterprise, same as the first time around.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Zizzlezazzle said:

Uhhh she kind of is. They all signed the contract, and that’s kind of the gist of this whole enterprise, same as the first time around.

She kind of is what?

She signed a contract to do the show and she is doing the show. Clearly they aren’t required to participate in everything. If they wanted everyone to be in involved in everything they wouldn’t have picked a drag show or tarot reading. 

My sense of the way the Homecoming seasons work is that we will get some scenes with all seven people together and some with smaller groups, and that's just the way it unfolds. I hope I never see Tami Roman on television again, but when she decided to stay behind at the house while the rest of them went on Outward Bound: The Middle-Aged Version, I was okay with her decision. She "showed up" plenty in the rest of the season, and people could feel how they felt about what she added.

Whether Kelley noped out on the bar because she didn't want to be around drunken shenanigans, or she had a deadline, or she was on a hot streak with what she was writing and didn't want to interrupt the flow (ha!), or drag isn't a favorite entertainment form of hers (probably not that, since she participated in Anthony's show during the original season), I don't have a problem with it. She did say yes to the season, and so we're all getting something to talk about. If she'd said no, maybe we'd be watching or choosing not to watch Real World Homecoming: Austin

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

My sense of the way the Homecoming seasons work is that we will get some scenes with all seven people together and some with smaller groups, and that's just the way it unfolds. I hope I never see Tami Roman on television again, but when she decided to stay behind at the house while the rest of them went on Outward Bound: The Middle-Aged Version, I was okay with her decision. She "showed up" plenty in the rest of the season, and people could feel how they felt about what she added.

Whether Kelley noped out on the bar because she didn't want to be around drunken shenanigans, or she had a deadline, or she was on a hot streak with what she was writing and didn't want to interrupt the flow (ha!), or drag isn't a favorite entertainment form of hers (probably not that, since she participated in Anthony's show during the original season), I don't have a problem with it. She did say yes to the season, and so we're all getting something to talk about. If she'd said no, maybe we'd be watching or choosing not to watch Real World Homecoming: Austin

Very true, and Tami’s opt outs were a lot more brazen: “have fun in the desert! Not for me!”
Okay, Tami! They all put in their time however they needed to and got their payout, so good on them.

I’m thinking someone will have to pay ME to watch an Austin reunion. 

• Love 3

Jamie was on Kate Casey a lot of is about how he got on the show the first time around and what he's been up to the last 22 years. 

He talks about how he was completely oblivious to Julie in the house and said he should have put up a boundary with her. He also said production gave him a warning about Julie while they were filming that he did not listen too. 

He also said he was most excited to see Melissa and was somewhat nervous to see Danny since they didn't connect very well the first time around. He said that is why he is most surprised he connected with Danny during Homecoming.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

He talks about how he was completely oblivious to Julie in the house and said he should have put up a boundary with her. He also said production gave him a warning about Julie while they were filming that he did not listen too. 

I was thinking that part of the reason Kelley was so uncomfortable with the conversations about sex Julie was initiating was because she thought Jaime was oblivious to both Julie's intentions and the real life repercussions it could have for Jaime and his family.

I can't remember if this was in last week's episode or the preview for this week's episode, but when Julie said her husband gave her a hall pass, my first thought was, "Why are Julie and her husband so certain Jaime wants to cheat on his wife and have sex with her?"

But, if production straight up warned him and he didn't listen, well...bless his heart 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Edited by MerBearStare
  • Love 5
On 5/27/2022 at 7:07 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Deeply held beliefs about what some people consider to be the building blocks of life here and in the next aren't necessarily whims to them.

Those beliefs are taught again the parent or individual chooses those beliefs… being GAY is and NO point EVER a choice  .. you don’t wake up one morning randomly and go hmm is today the day I chose to find the same sex sexually stimulating? It’s fundamentally WHO that person is. Even with no gay people around them to “teach” them (like you are taught religion) they will be gay 

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, MerBearStare said:

I was thinking that part of the reason Kelley was so uncomfortable with the conversations about sex Julie was initiating was because she thought Jaime was oblivious to both Julie's intentions and the real life repercussions it could have for Jaime and his family.

I can't remember if this was in last week's episode or the preview for this week's episode, but when Julie said her husband gave her a hall pass, my first thought was, "Why are Julie and her husband so certain Jaime wants to cheat on his wife and have sex with her?"

But, if production straight up warned him and he didn't listen, well...bless his heart 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Kate Casey is friends with Kelley and mentioned in her intro how Julie was asking cast members about their sex lives which if true makes a lot more sense about why Kelly is uncomfortable. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I love Danny, I want more of him.  Maybe he gets his own show… not a reality crapfest, but something.  

I wonder who bought his sweater and if they still have it.

I’ll watch Austin Homecoming!  Busted-eye Danny and Melinda after their divorce… drama!

Edited by heatherchandler
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

So Julie has decided to double down in her IG comments. How she wasn’t safe because anything she said was targeted for cancel culture. That the rest of the house had gotten together beforehand to lawyer up and plan. That the only two people she liked were Jamie and Danny and everyone else was miserable. That she wants to do All Stars but isn’t sure how she will be treated now so not sure if she would accept if called. Yeah right! She will race her crazy ass to that production waving her hall pass in the air. 

There is some serious arrested development and illness going on with this woman. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, PositiveBean said:

That she wants to do All Stars

There's some sort of RW: All Stars on the horizon?!  A "homecoming" of a bunch of people who were part of this franchise but never lived together?  How would that even work?

3 hours ago, PositiveBean said:

How she wasn’t safe because anything she said was targeted for cancel culture.

I said this in another thread, but "cancel culture" is right up there with "woke", "politically correct", and "social justice warrior" as excellent indicators, in that anyone who utters one of those with a sneer outs themselves as someone I need not waste a second of my time on listening to the rest of what they say.  Not that I didn't know this of Julie already, as she's conducted herself with a neon sign, but it's the latest confirmation she is a breathing, walking rubbish heap.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

There's some sort of RW: All Stars on the horizon?!  A "homecoming" of a bunch of people who were part of this franchise but never lived together?  How would that even work?

She's referring to the The Challenge: All Stars. Season 3 is currently airing, also on Paramount+.

I stand by my assertion that Julie has no friends. As someone accurately mentioned upthread, she's acts like a horny teenager rather than 40 something married woman. It's exhausting to watch and is unfortunately distracting and taking time from the other cast members and their lives.

Edited by snarts
clarity
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

While she was referring to a Challenge All-Stars, as snarts mentioned, a RW All-Stars would probably work fine too. So many of them were on Challenges together or know each other off-show just through ancillary stuff. There's a marriage between two RWers who were not on the same season, after all.

I do think Julie inwardly feels that she peaked when she was on television and so she's desperate to recapture that however she can. As for her husband? I dunno, maybe he's hoping she'll do something on camera that will justify a divorce. Normal people sometimes get sucked into marrying narcissists because life is not boring with them, but the thrill typically wears off.

• Love 1

She could hold her own physically, but socially I think Julie probably wouldn’t survive on an All Stars Challenge.  Beth was sort of friendly with her back in their early 2000 Inferno/Gauntlet challenge days and has more recently (tepidly) defended her on social media. That was before most of Julie’s Homecoming shenanigans unfolded, though. I’m guessing she’d now walk that support back and that many of the old timers would consider Julie too loose of a canon to keep around for long. And as long as Veronica is on an All Stars Challenge, forget it—you probably aren’t going to make nice with someone who maybe/maybe didn’t tried to kill you, even decades later!

That said, I’ve been re-watching some of the old Challenge seasons on Paramount+, and it’s sad and really disturbing how much more rudderless and desperate Julie has become even since then (and the bar was already low!) Her behavior on her first few Challenges was off-putting and didn’t endear her to competitors already aligned with Melissa. Around the Inferno 2 was also when she first met Spencer, and she was still very hung up on morality and siloing herself off with LA Jon to look down on the rest of their cast for getting drunk and hooking up (and big HA to that now!).

But by her last couple of Challenges she had also proven herself competitively, seemed to have relaxed a bit, and made friends, even making it to the finals of her last season of the Gauntlet 2. 

This reunion could have been a great redemption arc for Julie dovetailing nicely into future All Stars Challenge seasons. That…is not what’s happening. I don’t know WHAT’S going on in her personal life, but as a producer, seeing what we’re seeing now, I’d be completely turned off. But who knows.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I love Danny, I want more of him.  Maybe he gets his own show… not a reality crapfest, but something.  

I wonder who bought his sweater and if they still have it.

I’ll watch Austin Homecoming!  Busted-eye Danny and Melinda after their divorce… drama!

Oh God, sullen, sulking Danny! Nooooo!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

So was Julie showing naked photos of her husband to Kelley or was it just a shirtless photo? Because the former is a whole lot worse than the latter.

I felt like we got to know Kelley more this episode, but that clip package was awkward.

Julie was cringe like always. 

I enjoyed the Come on Be My Baby scene. I know Tokyo did a challenge after The Chapelle Show.

I really loved Danny this episode so many great one liners. I really enjoyed Kelly is doing her disappearing act again. 

• Love 3

Everything with Julie and her husband seemed very contrived. I don't blame Kelley for wanting to peace out, but at the same time, I think that she could hang on a few more days and that it doesn't have to be so dramatic, especially considering she is a life coach and well versed in coping mechanisms.

I had a different interpretation of Kelley saying that Julie's husband was "in a state"-a different meaning than that he was just shirtless-and I hope that I'm wrong.

It's interesting that Julie said in her Instagram comments that her friends while she was in the house were Jamie and Danny. We do see a lot of Danny and Julie talking and hanging out together, but we also know that Danny has made it very clear in the post-show interviews how he feels about Julie. I'm sure he was trying to be cordial to her when they were in the house just to get by, but I wonder if Julie is surprised by what Danny is saying about her now.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, BelleBrit said:

I had a different interpretation of Kelley saying that Julie's husband was "in a state"-a different meaning than that he was just shirtless-and I hope that I'm wrong.

yea I thought she was showing him "erect" esp with her just talking before about how she was worked up from the pictures he sent her 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1

I don't fully understand what's going on emotionally with Kelley, but it does seem the experience peaked for her at some point, and then she stopped being comfortable in the house, even with some close friends there. It reached a point where there was a pall cast even over relatively innocuous things.

I don't think Spencer was "just" shirtless in Julie's screensaver photo, FWIW. 

It'll be a bummer if she isn't there to walk out with the others (and the "next week" clips were cagey on that), but maybe she felt she had done what she set out to do. The relationships that are good aren't going to be affected by her being there for, say, 12 days instead of 14. 

I'm still hoping Danny, Melissa, and the others can talk her down, and this will be the season that breaks the curse.  

I enjoyed the studio session and much of the rest of the episode.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, BelleBrit said:

Everything with Julie and her husband seemed very contrived. I don't blame Kelley for wanting to peace out, but at the same time, I think that she could hang on a few more days and that it doesn't have to be so dramatic, especially considering she is a life coach and well versed in coping mechanisms.

It's interesting that Julie said in her Instagram comments that her friends while she was in the house were Jamie and Danny. We do see a lot of Danny and Julie talking and hanging out together, but we also know that Danny has made it very clear in the post-show interviews how he feels about Julie. I'm sure he was trying to be cordial to her when they were in the house just to get by, but I wonder if Julie is surprised by what Danny is saying about her now.

I think that is the way Danny has learned to deal with people he doesn't like. I've noticed a lot of scenes of him talking to Matt as well. We all have our ways to deal with people we don't want to be around.

• Love 1