Type keyword(s) to search

RW Homecoming: New Orleans (2022)

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Tatum said:

You definitely could be right, but does she not realize she's going to have to go home and face the mom cliques and her husband's professional contacts after looking like such an idiot on TV?

It's very likely Julie's already alienated the mom cliques/husband's colleagues long ago as I doubt she behaves that differently off camera. I just don't see her as having many close friends. That said, I am definitely interested in seeing her husband and I certainly hope that's who she's making out with in the previews. 

I started following some of the cast on instagram prior to this reunion, as sort of a sneak peek. I've really enjoyed seeing their friendships take off as a result of this reunion.  Over the weekend, Melissa, Kelley, Danny & Toyko all posted pics of themselves as young children and they were still trying to goad Jamie into doing the same. 

• Love 4

Melissa said in an interview one of her concerns doing homecoming was the fact Shalom is a teenager and might get crap at school.  Shalom didn't care and Melissa tries to explain The Real World to her and Shalom goes I watched your season on YouTube and you were nuts. 

It made me laugh for 5 minutes.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Melissa said in an interview one of her concerns doing homecoming was the fact Shalom is a teenager and might get crap at school.  Shalom didn't care and Melissa tries to explain The Real World to her and Shalom goes I watched your season on YouTube and you were nuts. 

It made me laugh for 5 minutes.

Yeah I doubt teens are going to watch since they didn’t watch the OG.

I wish Kelly, Matt and Jamie got more screentime/on-air dialogue: I don't want to watch the Julie show, she is a fake, exaggerated mess and I'm over it.  I don't believe shes capable of learning anything. I'm glad Jaimie apologized to Melissa about the way he reacted to the swamp-boat racist, but we really don't see the two of them connecting and communicating otherwise. 

At least this episode did end in a happy place with everyone bonding. They didn't air Melissa's parents visiting back then, but I absolutely remember how funny Melissa and her father were together (I remember when Melissa was quoting him on why she shouldnt room with Danny because "they say they gay but actually be biiiisexual and trying to get on with you!") And their exchange about Scott Wolfe tonight was gold.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Yeah I doubt teens are going to watch since they didn’t watch the OG.

All it takes is one bitchy parent to tell their kid or one kid being curious that someone mom they know is on a show. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 2

OMG, I am absolutely loving this season of Homecoming (aside from the Julie drama)!  I love everyone's maturity and exchanges and (aside from the Julie drama) acceptance of one another and welcoming of family and ALL of it - it feels like a warm hug.

And "Who the hell is Scott Wolf?" "Exactly" made me spit coffee across my desk.

• Love 5

Was this the "midseason finale"? That would fit with an eight-episode season, which is what Los Angeles got. The very ominous preview reel at the end said, "This season..." rather than "On the next episode..." 

I see the reasoning behind Mercy and Shorty not making the cut of the original season. The visits from Julie's parents, Danny's parents, and David's mother fit better into the stories they were telling. At least Mercy and Shorty got a lot of space in The Real World You Never Saw, and now they got a do-over.  

Melissa and Kelley's friendship seems very genuine.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

All it takes is one bitchy parent to tell their kid or one kid being curious that someone mom they know is on a show. 

Yeah, I think Shalom's point was more that if she hasn't gotten crap from her fellow classmates over YouTube vids of her mom's original season in which she "was nuts," she's not going to get crap over homecoming now. She knows her mom's not going to be running around now acting like...well...Julie.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Yeah, I think Shalom's point was more that if she hasn't gotten crap from her fellow classmates over YouTube vids of her mom's original season in which she "was nuts," she's not going to get crap over homecoming now. She knows her mom's not going to be running around now acting like...well...Julie.

Exactly and Melissa's point was that teenagers know the way around a computer to watch stuff. 

• Love 2

I thought this episode was good. I thought it was funny Matt left the house meeting to go get a sandwich while the rest of the guys were listening to Julie being the victim once again. 

It's clear Julie is threatened by the Kelley/Melissa friendship and from what people have said about the book that came out after the season she was threatened by those two becoming friends 22 years ago as well.

I thought the swamp tour was okay. I did like Jamie apologizing to Melissa. 

The racism discussion. I get why they focused on Julie since the clips were about her, but I wish we would have heard from the rest of the white roommates what they have learned since the original season and what they are/planning to teach their children. I am rewatching the original show and I do feel like at different points all of the white roommates were dismissive to Melissa regarding race at different points in the season. Seeing Jamie use the N word in the confessional I still find baffling. I do wonder if there was more to Melissa's apology because it did come across like Julie was being singled out.  

I remember Melissa gave an interview to TWOP and didn't she say her parents visit didn't make the original show because Shorty was talking to the camera crew to much or did I make that up?

I loved that they showed some of Melissa's home life. I hope we get that with Jamie and Matt as well. I loved Shorty & Mercy visiting. I was cracking up at Mercy calling Matt sexy and Shorty not knowing who Scott Wolf is and Kelley's reaction was great. It was nice seeing Melissa and Julie reminiscing that was the first time I could see why they were such close friends at one point. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, choclatechip45 said:

Aw Mercy got her Real World New Orleans Book signed by the cast. 

I legitimately started crying when I saw Shorty and Mercy on screen.  I lived for hearing all of the stories about them that Melissa used to share on her blog back in the day, including a video of a song that Justin Beck and Shorty wrote for Shalom either before or soon after she was born.  

I loved that entire section of the show (and I need Mercy to come to my house to make pancit and lumpia). Hoping that they have many more healthy and happy years together.

Edited by Decider
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, Decider said:

I legitimately started crying when I saw Shorty and Mercy on screen.  I lived for hearing all of the stories about them that Melissa used to share on her blog back in the day, including a video of a song that Justin Beck and Shorty wrote for Shalom either before or soon after she was born.  

I loved that entire section of the show (and I need Mercy to come to my house to make pancit and lumpia). Hoping that they have many more healthy and happy years together.

Same I remember Melissa writing about Mercy's Real World poster and Colin sending her stuff from a speaking engagement.

The video is on youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvlnRptCvhU&t=17s

• Love 2
2 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I remember Melissa gave an interview to TWOP and didn't she say her parents visit didn't make the original show because Shorty was talking to the camera crew to much or did I make that up?

I remember reading that, too.

@choclatechip45 thank you for the link!

The silence of Kelly and Jamie during the race conversation was deafening. I'm saddened that neither of them spoke up in support of Tokyo when they both clearly agreed with him and Melissa. 

And I'm sorry, Danny, was horrible. Instead of backing up his good friend Melissa, he choose his white privilege and called Tokyo taking care of a friend "violent." So Danny can only speak up against injustice when it directly affects him? Interesting.

Julie remains horrible, so no further comment from me on that.

It was nice to see Melissa's parents.

• Love 6

Julie is exhausting. Props to Melissa for apologizing to her. I probably wouldn't have because a. I have no patience, b. I wouldn't give a shit if Julie felt badly, and c. I FIND JULIE EXHAUSTING AND DON'T THINK SHE'LL EVER LEARN ANYTHING. 

She's so damn needy. On the one hand, I'd love to see the dynamic between her and her husband but on the other, I don't want them to focus on her anymore so I'm good remaining in the dark. 

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, Miss Slay said:

The silence of Kelly and Jamie during the race conversation was deafening. I'm saddened that neither of them spoke up in support of Tokyo when they both clearly agreed with him and Melissa. 

And I'm sorry, Danny, was horrible. Instead of backing up his good friend Melissa, he choose his white privilege and called Tokyo taking care of a friend "violent." So Danny can only speak up against injustice when it directly affects him? Interesting.

Julie remains horrible, so no further comment from me on that.

It was nice to see Melissa's parents.

Are you talking about the house meeting? Kelley wasn't a witness to anything that happened with Tokyo or Julie. I don't think it was her place to speak. I agree with you about Jamie he should have spoken up since he witnessed the whole thing. 

• Love 3

Melissa posted on her insta story today that the meeting on race went on for hours and at point the producers even intervened. So, I wouldn't put too much stock into how quiet some people seemed to be. She also shared more on Jamie and why she chose to apologize to Julie (make it nice for the Mercy/Shorty visit)

Frankly I'm frustrated that so much of the focus has been on Julie. She sucks the life & energy out of the room with her narcissism, not to mention the amount of vitriol she's constantly spewing in her interviews over every perceived slight.  I was giddy with the thought of her leaving early (ala Becky). 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I thought this episode was good. I thought it was funny Matt left the house meeting to go get a sandwich while the rest of the guys were listening to Julie being the victim once again. 

It's clear Julie is threatened by the Kelley/Melissa friendship and from what people have said about the book that came out after the season she was threatened by those two becoming friends 22 years ago as well.

I thought the swamp tour was okay. I did like Jamie apologizing to Melissa. 

The racism discussion. I get why they focused on Julie since the clips were about her, but I wish we would have heard from the rest of the white roommates what they have learned since the original season and what they are/planning to teach their children. I am rewatching the original show and I do feel like at different points all of the white roommates were dismissive to Melissa regarding race at different points in the season. Seeing Jamie use the N word in the confessional I still find baffling. I do wonder if there was more to Melissa's apology because it did come across like Julie was being singled out.  

I remember Melissa gave an interview to TWOP and didn't she say her parents visit didn't make the original show because Shorty was talking to the camera crew to much or did I make that up?

I loved that they showed some of Melissa's home life. I hope we get that with Jamie and Matt as well. I loved Shorty & Mercy visiting. I was cracking up at Mercy calling Matt sexy and Shorty not knowing who Scott Wolf is and Kelley's reaction was great. It was nice seeing Melissa and Julie reminiscing that was the first time I could see why they were such close friends at one point. 

It’s not like Scott Wolf is A-list.  I don’t think I’ve seen him in anything.

When Kelley said, "I struggle to make one dish," she was being modest. She has some skills in the kitchen. Even in 2000, when she probably wasn't as good as she is now, she was the unanimous choice for best cook, and Jamie and Melissa weren't saying a lot of nice things about her when the book was being put together. (And Melissa would have had Mercy as a yardstick.) 

1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

I watched Party of Five, in which he was main cast, and Everwood, in which he was main cast in the latter two seasons (Kelley had a small role as his date in one episode). Also, Go is a favorite '90s movie of mine.

I haven't seen a lot of him more recently, but I see from his IMDb that he's never had a lean period since he became well known. So, not A-list, but not a "Where are they now?" case like some other '90s teen idols.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

He isn't A-list but he's well-known to Kelley's generation. So she would be pretty used to her peers knowing who he is, and of course Hollywood knows who he is as he's always worked. Bojack Horseman even gave him an episode as himself. Outside that bubble, she probably forgot that many older and younger people wouldn't know him. (Although she may have assumed that Melissa would have told her parents at some point that Kelley married X actor. and who that actor is.)

In these super-long conversations that get heavily edited down for time, I agree it's important to keep in mind the editors cut out a lot and would also have been more interested in certain people. I expect the cast will tell us more in interviews about what all went on.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

He isn't A-list but he's well-known to Kelley's generation. So she would be pretty used to her peers knowing who he is, and of course Hollywood knows who he is as he's always worked. Bojack Horseman even gave him an episode as himself. Outside that bubble, she probably forgot that many older and younger people wouldn't know him. (Although she may have assumed that Melissa would have told her parents at some point that Kelley married X actor. and who that actor is.)

In these super-long conversations that get heavily edited down for time, I agree it's important to keep in mind the editors cut out a lot and would also have been more interested in certain people. I expect the cast will tell us more in interviews about what all went on.

Well to be fair I had never heard of Melissa’s husband either.  But it sounds like his pickup lines are blunt lol.

• LOL 4

"She should be in jail." - Melissa.

I am Melissa.  Melissa is me. 

I was s infuriated by the first half of this  episode.  Julie was ticking every "problematic white lady" box in textbook fashion.  She was over talking everyone, she was making everything about her, she was making herself into a victim, she was not listening, and then she brought out the tears.  I was so happy when Melissa said "Nope,I'm out." and left.

I was so impressed by Melissa this entire episode.  Her talking heads, her explanations, how she was 100% about preserving her sense of her real self and refused to allow a narrative to be created around her.  I am happy that production gave her the space and latitude to speak frankly about it all and so succinctly.

Also, she is what an adult looks like.  She assessed her own mood and decided she needed to give Julie a real apology because she was getting toxic herself.  I personally didn't see it, but the fact that she felt it and set to rectify it by  going to Julie impressed me.  She is a bigger person than me because I when it comes to a personality like Julie's, I can hold a grudge until it dies and then I will dig it up and carry it's bones around.

Good on Jamie for apologizing for his flippancy.

Melissa's parents were a breath of fresh air.  How cute were they? And that food looked awesome!  See, this is what I meant in my post upthread about Julie not needing to manufacture drama.  The show will create it with their questions.  Also, just seeing everyone eat together and enjoy being with Melissa's parents was way more interesting and better tv than manufactured tension and drama.  That is what I wanted to see watching this. 

• Love 16

I haven't had a chance to watch the latest episode yet, but I read Melissa's Twitter feed and, in talking about how Jamie apologized to her twice about the n-bird incident, she said they had a "productive conversation on what white people can do to sharpen and elucidate their communications on race and racism" and shared that he "devoured" Ijeoma Oluo's So You Want to Talk About Race after she suggested it to him.  That reminded me of something she'd posted previously, about a book on Complex PTSD she read after Danny recommended it.  I love that these folks are doing the work, educating themselves on what others are going through.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, DearEvette said:

She assessed her own mood and decided she needed to give Julie a real apology because she was getting toxic herself.  I personally didn't see it, but the fact that she felt it and set to rectify it by  going to Julie impressed me. 

I did see it, enough that I could understand (and was nodding) when she concluded her own tone had been "stank" and she felt she needed to apologize. At the point when she was saying (paraphrasing), "Well? You just said this is a a 'very important' issue for you. So, come on. The floor is yours," she had crossed over to hectoring. Tokyo seemed to step in then and try to get it back on a more constructive level. And if that scene went on a lot longer, there was probably more of the same.

It's hard in a situation like that to separate the issues at hand from your feelings about a particular person, and Melissa has a lot of reasons not to like Julie. I think she recognized that.

• Love 6

I loved the Shorty and Mercy visit, and a pox on the producers for not including their footage the first time.  They're fun, and they provide an insight into Melissa that was every bit as deserving to be seen as the visit of Julie's and Danny's parents.

And, wow, it made me hungry.  One of my friends I've had since high school is Filipina, and her grandma's visits were goddamn legendary for her lumpia.  My friend's mom can make it, my friend can make it, I can make it, hell I can order in, but there has never been anything like what her grandma turned out -- there's something so special about someone forging a personal connection through food because they're faced with a loved one of someone they love.

Hats off to Melissa for extending Julie the grace that fool didn't deserve of saying the tone I used wasn't kind - a self reflection and courtesy Julie to this day hasn't reciprocated - in order to set as peaceful a stage as possible for seeing her parents again. 

Danny lost points for characterizing Tokyo's handling of Julie at the club as "violent".  No.  That you were also Drunky the Clown that night and didn't grasp the need to call it a night, fine.  But that you perceive, or endorse her perception of, his actions as "violent" is a problem. 

It was fun to see a second swamp tour, and Melissa posted a shout-out to the tour guide on Twitter.  I hadn't even realized the whole cast wasn't there the first time.

Matt was the least annoying he's been so far in this episode, and I enjoyed Melissa's reaction to his pre-meal prayer.

Kelley's "Exactly" to Shorty asking who the hell Scott Wolf is was hilarious.

• Love 12

One of the recaps today (Salon's, I think) erroneously reported that Danny was part of the swamp-tour group in 2000. It was just Melissa, Julie, Jamie and his Chicago friends. I remember Danny and Kelley getting the tale from one of Jamie's bros when Team Swamp got back to Belfort.

I miss Kim of TWoP when I read the in-depth post-episode pieces. She knew Real World cold, even seasons she didn't officially cover. I see a lot of wrong information in most of what's out there now. Dave Holmes at Decider (who knows his MTV too, obviously) is the best covering Homecoming, I think.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Danny lost points for characterizing Tokyo's handling of Julie at the club as "violent".  No.  That you were also Drunky the Clown that night and didn't grasp the need to call it a night, fine.  But that you perceive, or endorse her perception of, his actions as "violent" is a problem. 

Yeah, I was really disappointed in him when he went there. I didn't realize until they were showing the flashbacks just how drunk he was too and also opposed to leaving, but the fact that he leaned into her "narrative" when his recollection was probably as nonexistent as hers and he knows what a toxic drama queen she is, definitely had me giving him side eye. 

• Love 4

Danny's contribution to that discussion put one of his earlier comments in a new light for me. During the club scene, there was an interview insert in which he said something like "I wouldn't have thought it was still necessary to babysit people when they're in their forties, but I guess it is." The way that was edited in, I thought he was talking about Julie becoming such a mess that everyone had to watch over her. But now I think he was expressing resentment at production/the other housemates for herding him and Julie out, and the expectation that everyone had to go at the same time.   

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

See, this is what I meant in my post upthread about Julie not needing to manufacture drama. 

Yeah but...at the end of the day, doesn't it also fall on the producers and showrunners for choosing to prioritize her shenanigans over all the other stuff being videotaped?

Lumpia is ok (I prefer spring rolls from other countries), but give me a plate of pork or chicken adobo instead and yum.

7 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Dave Holmes at Decider (who knows his MTV too, obviously) is the best covering Homecoming, I think.

I enjoy reading his recaps.  I love the fact that he included this throwaway line:"dwee-da-do-dwee-da-do-dway" without referencing 'Come on be my baby tonight" and yet and I immediately "sung" it in my head cuz of course.

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think one of the reasons I was so frustrated with the early part of this episode was partly because of Danny co-signing of that narrative. It was just so very disappointing given what she'd done to him in the past.  He knows from personal experience that she capitalizes on the fears of people about the 'other'  she purses her lips around that dog whistle and blows mightily.

I was also very upset that Melissa had to both carry the weight of defending Tokyo's actions the most vocally and the racism talk.  The latter I can somewhat understand, but regards the former -- the fact that the other housemates kinda timidly stood back and didn't call Julie on her shit while she was making her wild pronouncements about Tokyo pissed me off.  It started when they were at Cafe Du Mond and coming back from there is the different cars.  In her car she was going off about him, and there were crickets.  During Tokyo's house meeting, again, they were crickets.  So very different than how the entire NY cast stepped up with Becky.

• Love 11
16 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I enjoy reading his recaps.  I love the fact that he included this throwaway line:"dwee-da-do-dwee-da-do-dway" without referencing 'Come on be my baby tonight" and yet and I immediately "sung" it in my head cuz of course.

I think one of the reasons I was so frustrated with the early part of this episode was partly because of Danny co-signing of that narrative. It was just so very disappointing given what she'd done to him in the past.  He knows from personal experience that she capitalizes on the fears of people about the 'other'  she purses her lips around that dog whistle and blows mightily.

I was also very upset that Melissa had to both carry the weight of defending Tokyo's actions the most vocally and the racism talk.  The latter I can somewhat understand, but regards the former -- the fact that the other housemates kinda timidly stood back and didn't call Julie on her shit while she was making her wild pronouncements about Tokyo pissed me off.  It started when they were at Cafe Du Mond and coming back from there is the different cars.  In her car she was going off about him, and there were crickets.  During Tokyo's house meeting, again, they were crickets.  So very different than how the entire NY cast stepped up with Becky.

I think the difference is 2 of the cast-members Kelley and Matt were not at the club. I don't think they should comment on things they did not witness. So you have Melissa who commented. Jamie who was silent and Danny who was drunk and thought Tokyo used violence which I wasn't happy about. During the NY Homecoming everyone witnessed Becky's remarks. 

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Yeah, I think a lot of us who know him were in the teen to twenties  demo that watched "Party of Five" in the nineties.  Her parents wouldn't have watched it.  

I think Kelli is still so beautiful. It's cool that she did not let Hollywood go to her head.  She seems very level headed and empathetic.  

I was so disturbed by Julie's drunk antics.  It takes a lot of fucking alcohol to get to that point. I could be off base, but I think Julie wanted attention from Jamie, and if he had been the one grabbing her, she would have willingly left. I get a lonely stay at home mom vibe from her.  I think that she was trying to have someone other than her husband pay attention.  Unfortunately, she's also one of those women who has to work out all of her emotional issues when she drinks.  I feel for the other roommates who were just looking for a good time.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
47 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

think the difference is 2 of the cast-members Kelley and Matt were not at the club. I don't think they should comment on things they did not witness. So you have Melissa who commented. Jamie who was silent and Danny who was drunk and thought Tokyo used violence which I wasn't happy about. During the NY Homecoming everyone witnessed Becky's remarks. 

At the point of the meeting I felt it was less about what happened at the club and was more about her trying to paint him as a violent person who violated her person.

And yet, they all saw the state she was in when they returned.  They all witnessed him holding her head over the bucket, mopping her up, helping her, sleeping on the floor next to her, being concerned about her well being.  At the very least they could have questioned her, asked her if maybe she was too impaired to make that judgement. 

And a lot of what the NY cast did with Becky was to exhort her to just listen.  If nothing else, they could have done something similar. 

• Love 7
Just now, DearEvette said:

At the point of the meeting I felt it was less about what happened at the club and was more about her trying to paint him as a violent person who violated her person.

And yet, they all saw the state she was in when they returned.  They all witnessed him holding her head over the bucket, mopping her up, helping her, sleeping on the floor next to her, being concerned about her well being.  At the very least they could have questioned her, asked her if maybe she was too impaired to make that judgement. 

And a lot of what the NY cast did with Becky was to exhort her to just listen.  If nothing else, they could have done something similar. 

That's fair. I looked at it more at what happened at the club between Tokyo and Julie. I know Kelley has said in interviews she has been very careful with her words during the show because she had to separate her being a life coach and her just being a roommate so whenever she was slipping into life coach mode she had to step back since no one on the cast is a client of hers. 

• Love 1

Big time kudos to Melissa for apologizing to Julie.  Flapping her fan and giving off rude vibes was all about their personal history and less about race, and for once, I think Julie's input was helpful and interesting in this case.  Melissa is always so self-aware and for her to recognize that she was slightly out of line, even if Julie is toxic, was huge.  I just don't know about Julie - is she for real sometimes, or is she a sociopath who is able to seem sympathetic while always trying to manipulate the people around her?

There are a lot of very well-adjusted people on this cast.  Kelley and Melissa don't surprise me, but Tokyo is a different person, in an amazing way.  After all Julie put him through, he was really thoughtful about walking her through the race discussion and giving her credit when it was clicking for her.

Julie is reminding me a lot of Charla on "The Comeback", if anyone is familiar - giving herself credit for creating drama for the show when it's not necessary.  I love this season!

• Love 5

I hope that more of the future episodes wouldn't be all "drama" with Julie, but it seems like  there is more to come.

I wished some of the future incoming messages would be some of the lighthearted stuff (like the television job the real 7).  Would be hilarious for them to rewatch Tokyo's hot mess of the modeling catwalk where one of the models fell on the stage.  Or Jamie's musical interview where he didn't consult anyone and the whole thing crashed and burned. 

Speaking about Tokyo, I'm kind of surprised none of the incoming messages has him on the hot seat.  Everyone being pissed off at Tokyo was a pretty big storyline in New Orleans.  I'm guessing they aren't revisiting that because he's getting along with everyone else?

• Love 3

One good thing for Tokyo -- beyond being able to show how much he has grown -- is that MTV/Paramount/WB is paying him over and above what they are probably getting from appearing on this.  I read an interview where he said he was getting paid for their use of 'Come On Be My Baby Tonight' on all their promo materials and its usage on the show.  I also wonder if they are paying him for their use of his YT cooking videos?

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, seltzer3 said:

Would be hilarious for them to rewatch Tokyo's hot mess of the modeling catwalk where one of the models fell on the stage.  Or Jamie's musical interview where he didn't consult anyone and the whole thing crashed and burned. 

I still hold out hope for Elton's face to appear on their screen and say hey. They can't pretend The Real 7 wasn't a thing. It was a huge connecting element. 

Against all odds, the modeling show with the strippers actually ended up being a good one. Elton was at his most pleased and complimentary afterwards. And, of course, David (I can't make myself call him "Tokyo" when discussing that, because he had such a different personality) only praised his own producing genius in the interviews, when honestly, Matt and Kelley had more to do with making it a success. Their ad libs and commentary were hilarious. It was one of the best scenes for each of them. That's the one NOATV Real 7 episode I would love to see in its entirety.

(DVD was new and hot in 2000. It's a shame they didn't put out the New Orleans season with all the Real 7 episodes as a bonus feature.) 

Jamie's show was a mess, no argument, and he even he acknowledges it now. And what a prick he was when Elton was reaming him out for it. Everything about his expressions and body language gave away that he was one of those guys who can sail through life and half-ass things, and even when they screw up, no one really calls them on it. When Elton told him he had done a terrible job and literally commanded him to stop talking, it was new terrain. The privilege was strong. 

Speaking about Tokyo, I'm kind of surprised none of the incoming messages has him on the hot seat.  Everyone being pissed off at Tokyo was a pretty big storyline in New Orleans.  I'm guessing they aren't revisiting that because he's getting along with everyone else?

Maybe still to come? I hope that isn't it, because rather than being something un-com-fort-a-ble (tm Julie) for Tokyo, a clip package of his standoffishness and surliness circa 2000 would be a big fat softball over the middle of the plate. No one in the cast holds his old ways against him and would be cross-examining him or demanding apologies. He'd have the floor to talk about his evolution and make the audience love the new him even more. 

Edited by Asp Burger
26 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

I still hold out hope for Elton's face to appear on their screen and say hey. They can't pretend The Real 7 wasn't a thing. It was a huge connecting element. 

Against all odds, the modeling show with the strippers actually ended up being a good one. Elton was at his most pleased and complimentary afterwards. And, of course, David (I can't make myself call him "Tokyo" when discussing that, because he had such a different personality) only praised his own producing genius in the interviews, when honestly, Matt and Kelley had more to do with making it a success. Their ad libs and commentary were hilarious. It was one of the best scenes for each of them. That's the one NOATV Real 7 episode I would love to see in its entirety.

(DVD was new and hot in 2000. It's a shame they didn't put out the New Orleans season with all the Real 7 episodes as a bonus feature.) 

Jamie's show was a mess, no argument, and he even he acknowledges it now. And what a prick he was when Elton was reaming him out for it. Everything about his expressions and body language gave away that he was one of those guys who can sail through life and half-ass things, and even when they screw up, no one really calls them on it. When Elton told him he had done a terrible job and literally commanded him to stop talking, it was new terrain. The privilege was strong. 

Maybe still to come? I hope that isn't it, because rather than being something un-com-fort-a-ble (tm Julie) for Tokyo, a clip package of his standoffishness and surliness circa 2000 would be a big fat softball over the middle of the plate. No one in the cast holds his old ways against him and would be cross-examining him or demanding apologies. He'd have the floor to talk about his evolution and make the audience love the new him even more. 

I wouldn't mind as long as Tokyo want too to talk about why he was stand-offish and if a life event changed him. 

1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

Yeah, they talk about this in the clips.  And I hope Elton makes an appearance.  I'm not sure which was funnier.  Matt deadpan saying this is why you shouldn't wear high heels on the beach, or Melissa busting up in the control room.

FWIW, Kelley did say something at the end of the meeting about Julie "creating a tv show."  She's getting talked over, but she does say it.  And I think she was correct to speak up, because she heard the same conversation with Julie as Melissa.

There is a debate, in my opinion, on whether or not one adult should use physical force in such a situation on another adult.  It does bother me a little bit, simply because I'm someone who in at least 95% of situations can be outpowered.  I think IN THE MOMENT I would have been extremely resistant to what Tokyo did.  I get very freaked out at being constrained.  You never know what someone has had happen in their past that could get triggered by such actions.  And to be clear, no matter what, in a case such as Tokyo's, it definitely wouldn't be what I focused on the next day.  Even if I was upset still about it, I would know I had most of the culpability by getting that drunk, and my appreciation for all that Tokyo did would have FAR outweighed any negative feelings I had.

Danny wasn't wrong that it wasn't JUST about keeping Julie safe; the group wanted to go home and they had to have everyone.  I don't want to in ANY way seem like I'm blaming Tokyo, because I think Julie is dead wrong and a Dangerous White Woman, but I'd be interested in knowing his thought process.  This is a man who thinks far enough ahead to cover his bases when he might be accidentally opening the suitcase of someone he actually knows, but put his hands (IN A NON VIOLENT WAY) on a white woman who has already shown herself to be problematic with people of color.  Were producers refusing to step in, letting the drama play out on camera?

Danny was DEAD WRONG in saying Tokyo was violent, and he absolutely should retract and apologize for that.  Even if you think under no circumstances should one adult use force on another, there's no way to describe Tokyo's actions as anything more than "forceful."  There was absolutely nothing "violent" about what Tokyo did.  Especially with Julie at the time and even now after having seen all the footage still saying WELL IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE BLACK MAN NOT THE TREE, Danny should retract what he said.  Julie is never going to get it, but Danny should.

I'm also really intrigued by the idea another poster put forth that Julie's phone call was actually damage control for her husband.  That she's not really trying to mastermind a tv show, but that she was trying to make it sound to her husband that being out of control was a purposeful choice for the role she is playing, rather than she just got super fucked up and had no idea what happened.  It's interesting, because even the things she said about y'all take the mantle and how didn't want to be the center of attention could have been her saying, please, someone do something more fucked up than me.

All in all, I'm really enjoying this series.  It reminds of what the best parts of old Real World were like.  Even though Melissa is right that the show was filtered through the white lens (you can really see in retrospect how the protagonist in each season is the wide-eyed innocent white girl), it used to be a pretty progressive show.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, lasu said:

FWIW, Kelley did say something at the end of the meeting about Julie "creating a tv show."  She's getting talked over, but she does say it.  And I think she was correct to speak up, because she heard the same conversation with Julie as Melissa.

There is a debate, in my opinion, on whether or not one adult should use physical force in such a situation on another adult.  It does bother me a little bit, simply because I'm someone who in at least 95% of situations can be outpowered.  I think IN THE MOMENT I would have been extremely resistant to what Tokyo did.  I get very freaked out at being constrained.  You never know what someone has had happen in their past that could get triggered by such actions.  And to be clear, no matter what, in a case such as Tokyo's, it definitely wouldn't be what I focused on the next day.  Even if I was upset still about it, I would know I had most of the culpability by getting that drunk, and my appreciation for all that Tokyo did would have FAR outweighed any negative feelings I had.

Danny wasn't wrong that it wasn't JUST about keeping Julie safe; the group wanted to go home and they had to have everyone.  I don't want to in ANY way seem like I'm blaming Tokyo, because I think Julie is dead wrong and a Dangerous White Woman, but I'd be interested in knowing his thought process.  This is a man who thinks far enough ahead to cover his bases when he might be accidentally opening the suitcase of someone he actually knows, but put his hands (IN A NON VIOLENT WAY) on a white woman who has already shown herself to be problematic with people of color.  Were producers refusing to step in, letting the drama play out on camera?

Danny was DEAD WRONG in saying Tokyo was violent, and he absolutely should retract and apologize for that.  Even if you think under no circumstances should one adult use force on another, there's no way to describe Tokyo's actions as anything more than "forceful."  There was absolutely nothing "violent" about what Tokyo did.  Especially with Julie at the time and even now after having seen all the footage still saying WELL IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE BLACK MAN NOT THE TREE, Danny should retract what he said.  Julie is never going to get it, but Danny should.

I'm also really intrigued by the idea another poster put forth that Julie's phone call was actually damage control for her husband.  That she's not really trying to mastermind a tv show, but that she was trying to make it sound to her husband that being out of control was a purposeful choice for the role she is playing, rather than she just got super fucked up and had no idea what happened.  It's interesting, because even the things she said about y'all take the mantle and how didn't want to be the center of attention could have been her saying, please, someone do something more fucked up than me.

All in all, I'm really enjoying this series.  It reminds of what the best parts of old Real World were like.  Even though Melissa is right that the show was filtered through the white lens (you can really see in retrospect how the protagonist in each season is the wide-eyed innocent white girl), it used to be a pretty progressive show.

I agree. I didn't love Tokyo carrying Julie out, but he didn't have much choice. I don't think he meant it in a harmful way either. To me the intent matters as well. 

3 hours ago, lasu said:

Agreed.

And I think where Melissa was coming from outside of the specifics that happened with Julie/Tokyo, is that this sort of narrative is dangerous to put forth.

Not just for Tokyo specifically but for black men in general, and honestly for white women too.  We saw Julie as very impaired.  If this had not been a show with a camera crew, and they were just out as a group and partying and had just left her to her own devices she could have been seriously hurt.

There is an entire philosphy amongst some black men that they would never help a white woman who they might see in real danger or distress for fear that they'd turn on them in just this manner.  Tv shows like Black-ish and the Last O.G. played that idea for comedy, but it is a real thing. 

So seeing something like this where our own eyes can't deny that Julie was very impaired and we saw the care Tokyo gave throughout the night for her to turn on him and declare him violent just re-inforces that decision some black men have and might give others who might not have considered it pause.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, DearEvette said:

One good thing for Tokyo -- beyond being able to show how much he has grown -- is that MTV/Paramount/WB is paying him over and above what they are probably getting from appearing on this.  I read an interview where he said he was getting paid for their use of 'Come On Be My Baby Tonight' on all their promo materials and its usage on the show.  I also wonder if they are paying him for their use of his YT cooking videos?

HAHAHA, Tokyo was playing the long game back in 2000, who knew?? None of the rest of them are getting royalties on their intro packages for the Real 7. That is just hilarious to me that it worked out that way for him.

Matt and Kelley made that show the success that it was, I've never liked Matt more than the moment where he held it together as that stripper fell off her heels and just ad libbed about not wearing heels on the beach. 

But I think they showed 2 David-produced shows and both were successful so he did seem to have some skills in terms of pulling a show together. But the stripper show was a purely selfish pursuit on his part and Matt and Kelley helped him out a ton by getting on board and being good sports. 

Jamie acknowledged it even then, in interviews, but his pushback on Elton in the immediate aftermath was disgusting to watch. He was so dismissive and refused to take responsibility for any of the missteps, even though every one of the others were raising the red flags ahead of time. 

I kinda relate to Jamie in that episode, I approach things that way too, like I think of an idea and just envision how it will go without any kind of planning and it always goes about as well as his disaster went. So I was annoyed with him and cringing with familiarity as well. 

Big time kudos to Melissa for apologizing to Julie.  Flapping her fan and giving off rude vibes was all about their personal history and less about race, and for once, I think Julie's input was helpful and interesting in this case.  Melissa is always so self-aware and for her to recognize that she was slightly out of line, even if Julie is toxic, was huge.  I just don't know about Julie - is she for real sometimes, or is she a sociopath who is able to seem sympathetic while always trying to manipulate the people around her?

The best part of Melissa apologizing for that bit of behavior is that it lays waste to Julie's narrative that Melissa is just out to get her and that Julie can't get a break (of course Julie is continuing to flog that idea on social media even now, so it didn't stick). 

And there was a brief moment where I heard Melissa's old voice come out, the giggly, mischievous voice that she used to use when she and Julie were having fun together and it made it seem like her guard might have dropped an inch or two just for a second. Too bad Julie is such a toxic jackass, this reunion would be really nice if everyone could really enjoy being around each other.

• Love 4

Has it ever been acknowledged on the show that Come On, Be My Baby Tonight--at best--owes a deep debt to Frank Loesser's Luck, Be a Lady Tonight? If Tokyo is getting royalties, the Loesser estate should as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Has it ever been acknowledged on the show that Come On, Be My Baby Tonight--at best--owes a deep debt to Frank Loesser's Luck, Be a Lady Tonight? If Tokyo is getting royalties, the Loesser estate should as well.

It’s not enough to show the song is similar you have to show the writer was aware of the song.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

It’s not enough to show the song is similar you have to show the writer was aware of the song.

I feel like it has been acknowledged at some point that his song was at least "inspired" by Luck be a Lady.  They follow the same melody and structure, if I remember right. 

• Useful 1