Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Beauty and the Beach

• Start Topic

After Tina struggles to play with her kids at the park, Meghan confronts her; the ladies go to Florida so Meghan can fulfill her dream of walking on the beach again, but things go awry when one friend gets too drunk and the others have to babysit.

Available on streaming

Original network air date 2022.03.07

• Love 3
(edited)

I started out liking this show when it was part of "Too Large."  But to be honest, it is quickly becoming another TLC "formula" show--starts out with decent friendships, quickly spiraling into drunken, screaming, cussing messes with a "get away vacay" and a visit to a sex shop thrown in every other episode for good measure.  When it initially aired, Vannessa was picking up junk on the street to recycle so she would have enough money to eat fast food.  Now she's going shopping in boutiques and taking weekly trips out of town.   I'm old enough to be over the constant "bleeps" and F bombs, finger pointing and arguments.  In real life, if you hang around a group of people who act like this on every single occasion, then I question your judgment.  

Edited by JDAlexander
  • Love 17

This show seems a bit fake. None of the women act like best friends and their interactions feel awkward- the trip tonight, the spray tan, the sex shop- ugh! I'm sick of Meghan's whining and crying- it seems that production is pushing her and the others to add the drama. I'd love to see the women actually lose some weight!

• Love 10
(edited)

TLC likes to showcase the freak/side show element of their reality show participants and barely gloss over any steps to get healthy. The network really is bottom-tier in so many ways.

ETA: why is Meghan positioning herself as the voice of bariatric surgery? She’s done abt jack all since the initial weight came off. And - why is everything these ladies do to “cheer Meghan up”? I’d be a bit annoyed to constantly be stroking her ego. But at the same time I don’t think any of these women are friends IRL. 

Edited by Tipsymcstagger
Posting thoughts too early
  • Love 6

Meghan taking the others' drinks is way out of line.  I would have snatched mine back and poured it out somewhere before I'd let her drink it.  The head on the table shit was ridiculous also.  Fake as hell.

In fact, I don't like Meghan as much as I did in the beginning.  I think she thinks she's the flipping Queen Bee of the group and that everything should go her way.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Tipsymcstagger said:

ETA: why is Meghan positioning herself as the voice of bariatric surgery? She’s done abt jack all since the initial weight came off. And - why is everything these ladies do to “cheer Meghan up”? I’d be a bit annoyed to constantly be stroking her ego. But at the same time I don’t think any of these women are friends IRL

If I had to choose between spending 30 minutes with Meghan or 30 minutes with a sack of my dog’s poop…well let’s just say I’m glad he’s a small dog and that I have a cold so my nose is stopped up. I’m sure she’s a nice person, but the constant teary “I love yous” (I love you, I care about you, that’s what friends do, I want the best for you 🤢🤢) just put me off. It seems fake and contrived, but TBH it reminds me of a couple fake and contrived family members, so it could just be me. 
And while I’m at it, she’d be one of the last people I’d take advice from on any serious matter. Get your own life together and do whatever it takes to move out if your friend’s basement; quit dressing like you’re Molly Ringwald in an 80s movie, and lose another 200 lbs —  maybe then we’ll talk. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
(edited)

There is no way that these 4 women are best friends. Two of four barely know each other. 

Spray tans and sex toys. Stay tuned for next week’s episode where they will have their naval pierced. It will be riveting. 

Edited by Showthyme
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6

I honestly thought it was just me that found Meghan to be the most annoying gal on this show, but seems not LOL. She's had a bypass, the most effective WLS there is, so if she's stalled at 330 lbs, well she's just gotta try a little harder.  She's sure got a lot of nice clothes & coordinated accessories, yet her & BF have to live in Tina's basement due to lack of funds. Her explanation, not mine. And getting shitfaced at her age ain't cute.  Some meaningful exercise may be in order, as she seems to be the physically weakest of the ladies.  And not the one-time freak show exercise classes.

Wow that's one heck of a fully furnished rental home Vanessa now says she can afford despite selling cans & bottles to spend on fast food at the beginning of the series. Howdy neighbors!!! 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Showthyme said:

There is no way that these 4 women are best friends. Two of four barely know each other. 

Spray tans and sex toys. Stay tuned for next week’s episode where they will have their naval pierced. It will be riveting. 

It'll be riveting for the person doing the piercing to FIND the navels on these tubbies.

• LOL 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, Snarkastikate said:

Wow that's one heck of a fully furnished rental home Vanessa now says she can afford despite selling cans & bottles to spend on fast food at the beginning of the series. Howdy neighbors!!! 

Not to mention buying and reselling Good Will items.  Maybe it's more lucrative than I thought.

2 hours ago, goofygirl said:

It'll be riveting for the person doing the piercing to FIND the navels on these tubbies.

They can find Vanessa's sitting on top of her knees.  

Edited by swankie
Rephrased a comment.
  • LOL 3

Ashley is the only one that I like on this show. Tina is a buzz kill it seems, Vanessa is crude and Meaghan is exhausting. Clearly TLC paid for the trip as well as probably Vanessa's furnished rental house. I am still trying to figure out why Meghan is still in Tina's basement? 

• Love 6

If you go back and watch Meagan's and Vanessa's episodes of "Too Large", it seems like two different people. Meagan seemed up beat and determined to lose the weight she needed with a supportive boyfriend/fiancé, and Vanessa - well Vanessa was just a mess. Now Meagan appears to have a lot of body issues, and Vanessa  is the leader of all their excursions. 

It seems like this show has lost the focus that was on "Too Large" -  losing weight to get healthy.  There is little or no discussion about what they are eating outside of saying they are "working hard" on their diets. I would like to see more of how they cope with their diets while they are out having a good time. Show more productive fun times like maybe water aerobics instead of water slides. And where did Dr. Proctor go? There is mention of upcoming appointments but I don't see a lot of concern about hitting goals that he gave them.

• Love 7

I stopped watching this show last week. I had taped it, got about 10 minutes into it and then deleted the rest of it (for many of the reasons that have been mentioned above.) I came here to read comments because I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and I enjoy hearing what you all have to say.! Judging by the not even one page of posts so far, I'm guessing I didn't miss anything. I don't think the four ladies care for each other any more than I care about them. There is really nothing about any of these women that makes me want to care about what they do. Also, the producers should do the math and add up their weights. I'm pretty sure it's more than 1000 pounds.

Let me know if next week they decide to try balance beam routines or ice skating!!

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Showthyme said:

Where's the diets?  Why don't we see anyone cooking or eating?  Or walking? Ashley, who's already outdone one surgery, talked as though Dr Proctor's very modest goal of 30 lbs was just crazy talk.  Meanwhile she's in the upper 300's think. Just a little cutting back & she'd shed that in week or two.

Meghan already went through the screening process, lost enough to qualify for surgery, presumably had counseling, had the surgery & yet seems absolutely clueless about what she's doing wrong. How is this possible?

None of them seem very committed to losing any weight or doing any meaningful exercise.  Every week we are treated to a new freaky deaky activity. Spray tanning, some gym that made Tina cry, water slide, bungee flopping, glamping. Just wait for the beach scene.  I'm humiliated for them all, really.   

• Love 12

The scene with the spray tanning lady was like watching a train wreck. I  didn’t want to look but there was no way I was going to change the channel.   Two comments:

1.  When spray tan lady showed Vannessa the tanning apparatus and said “I usually use only one on a client but I’m going to have to use three on you” goofy Vanessa stands there naked and laughs all the while lifting her overhang. I was mortified for her because we all know she doesn’t have the sense God gave a goose.  And could the powers-that-be at TLC get Vannessa a fake tooth to fill in the one that’s missing?  Every time she smiles that’s all I see.

2.  Meghan without makeup looks totally different which brings to mind something Richard Simmons said to one of his followers who was lamenting that she couldn’t lose weight.  This woman was about 35, wore a long dark hairpiece, long manicured nails and makeup that was put on with a trowel. His comment (and for some reason it has always stayed with me) was that she wears the fake hair, fake nails and Cleopatra makeup (his words) so no one notices her morbid obesity.  This brings to mind Meghan. Imagine if she spent the time that it takes to plaster on her makeup and did squats instead…took a walk instead…used toning bands instead…there would most definitely be a difference. 

3. I know I said two comments but I have to say this…I’m not getting naked as a jay bird in front of my friends. No.  Nope.  My self confidence does not rest on my ability to get naked while my two other (ahem) friends cheer me on.  

And stop with the “I Love You” every time they part ways. It’s as phony as it sounds.  You’re not friends. You work on the same scripted show. Stop it. 

Edited by PsychoKlown
On 3/9/2022 at 9:51 PM, PsychoKlown said:

. I know I said two comments but I have to say this…I’m not getting naked as a jay bird in front of my friends. No.  Nope.  My self confidence does not rest on my ability to get naked while my two other (ahem) friends cheer me on.  

I'm right there with you on that! 

I was thinking how much the camera person for this show must really hate these women.  They focused the camera on parts of Meghan during that spray tan that I'm sure she didn't want the entire viewing public to see.  I bet she was mortified watching this episode.  I was mortified for her.  If her self esteem didn't take a hit during the filming of this episode, I'm sure it did while viewing it.  

On 3/9/2022 at 2:28 PM, lilysmom said:

Let me know if next week they decide to try balance beam routines or ice skating!!

Lol!!!  Or riding little donkeys down a steep winding trail at the Grand Canyon!  🤣

Edited by swankie
Added a comment.
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

I just watched the super-sized episode to check out the bonus scenes, and one of the scenes was about Meghan's large panties they had talked about on the regular episode.  On this episode, Vanessa and the spray-tan lady both got in the panties together and pulled them all the way up.  That was like three or four normal-sized people all getting in.  You know those were some huge panties. 😮

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I just watched the super-sized episode to check out the bonus scenes, and one of the scenes was about Meghan's large panties they had talked about on the regular episode.  On this episode, Vanessa and the spray-tan lady both got in the panties together and pulled them all the way up.  That was like three or four normal-sized people all getting in.  You know those were some huge panties. 😮

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  

Are you telling me that Vanessa and spray tan lady stepped into Meghans previously worn underpants?   

No, please do not tell me that.  No.  

I need to stop with this show and do more knitting.  I just can’t.

1 hour ago, PsychoKlown said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  

Are you telling me that Vanessa and spray tan lady stepped into Meghans previously worn underpants?   

Yes! 

Of course, with TLC shows, you never know.  It could be it was all planned ahead of time and Meghan simply brought an extra (clean) one from home.  If not, eww.

• LOL 2

Man…that spray tan segment was just unbelievably cringe. The owner/manager was just so off putting. She certainly didn’t do her business a service - that’s for sure. Between her appearance, her odd Val speak (?) voice and her passive aggressive comments about the women -she was pretty terrible. I hope they paid these women a bit of coin for this. Because the humiliation was off the charts. No one needed to be subjected to this. No one. Especially the viewers.

• Love 5

I'm still trying to figure out why Meaghan hasn't been able to walk on the beach for so long?  Is it because she had trouble even walking before her WLS or is there another reason??  Just curious.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Walking in loose sand is very difficult, and I think Meaghan didn't want to risk falling down, or getting away from any support, like handrails.   

Also, she was on oxygen before, and that limits you because you have to have the oxygen concentrator with you.  

I don't understand the group naked spray tan.   Do they really have group strip downs, and then spray tan?   Or is it more producer shenanigans with more humiliation?  (I've never done a spray tan, so I have no idea). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Most bars will throw you out if you put your head down.

May I ask if you are speaking from experience Mr.BuhBye? 🙂 

I'm calling it what it most likely is--TLC Shenanigans. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Sadly I have never been ejected from a bar.  I’m a rule follower.

Neither one of us will be called.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 1
On 3/11/2022 at 12:35 AM, Gemma Violet said:

I don't care what point I'm trying to make, I'm not getting into someone else's dirty drawers.  Ewww!  Especially after it's been touching areas that get next to no air while on their body.  Just no!!! 🤮

• Love 3
On 3/17/2022 at 12:46 AM, MrBuhBye said:

Most bars will throw you out if you put your head down. 

It was a very long time ago but yes I can verify this is true.  But if they're nice they give you one warning. 🤣

Edited by Snarkastikate
Add
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I didn't see the supersized episode but I did just watch the regular one. Meghan was wearing black panties that looked substantial, like maybe a lightweight support garment. Over those she had a pair of oversized lace panties, which she took off before the tanning session. If they were the ones Vannessa and the spray tanner put on it really wouldn't have been much different then trying on someone else's shorts or slacks.