Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Thorapy

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I picked up on Thor's friend being an animal just a couple of lines before he said he ate the tail--so I guess that makes me the perfect viewer for that joke--except I really didn't like the set up--too traumatic for me. 

I loved the episode title, "Thorapy."

• Love 7
20 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, not to be indelicate but I don't see how the ghosts could have sex (except for maybe Trevor). They can't remove their clothes, they would just pop back on, like Trevor's hand or Sass's feather. So the most they can do is . . . dry hump?

The feather didn't snap back until Sass let go of it, so I assume that while they can't get completely nekkid, they can unfasten, unzip, raise, or lower whichever garment is most appropriate for the task at hand.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, basil said:

Sas has said that ghosts can have sex, but that they "can't finish. Very frustrating.". 

I was trying to remember if Pete and Nancy pretended to do it for appearance's sake, but I guess this answers it. The mechanics of clothing and the deed seems to be questions for the "handbook" thread.

• Love 3
On 3/4/2022 at 1:24 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I don't think they can use blankets; they can't move the sheets or bedcovers.  All of the ghosts were sleeping on top of the beds.  On the other hand, I don't think they can feel cold.

When Isaac and Hetty were having their talk, I finally thought to look at whether or not the ghosts made impressions on the mattresses. Only because Being Human (the US version) is one of my favorite shows and I remember reading a lot about how the ghost character had to sit on hard surfaces (and not get wet and not brush against another character's clothes, etc). So if she sat beside on a couch or bed, it was hard so she didn't make an impression. They had to be careful with so many things I can't imagine how they don't constantly make glaring errors with this many ghosts. I haven't noticed any, but maybe I'm just so amused I wouldn't anyway. 

This is the best cast and that they're all strong enough it's hard for anyone to stand out, but Román Zaragoza as Sasappis sure does. 

• Love 15

Interesting about ghosts making impressions. I read and watch a lot of ghost stories and lots of people say they can suddenly see a dip on the mattress or sofa "as if someone just sat down." Some people also felt ghost cats jumping on their beds like they did while alive. True stories or not, it's fascinating stuff that I hope the show explores now that's it's renewed.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 3/3/2022 at 11:32 PM, shapeshifter said:

Certainly in real life Sam would come across to a therapist as being disassociated from reality if she not only acts as a voice for the different ghosts, but also explains to the therapist that they are ghosts if she fails to prove there actually are ghosts. 

It did occur to me that Sam could find a ghost shrink (!) like she did the dead doctor who confirmed she was seeing ghosts. And then...Zoom therapy? (I do that with my shrink!)

...and I see about 4 other people thought of the same thing before I posted this.

I wonder if Hetty was cosmopolitan enough to know about "confirmed bachelors," which was a term frequently used for gay men in the 19th and 20th centuries? Or, there were even marriages of convenience, where each party went their own way (sometimes with a partner of the same sex) and were fine with it as long as Appearances were Kept Up. And of course, there were "Boston marriages" in which confirmed spinsters chose to spend their lives together (sometimes excusing it by saying there were fewer men for all the women after the Civil War.)

Edited by kwnyc
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

It did occur to me that Sam could find a ghost shrink (!) like she did the dead doctor who confirmed she was seeing ghosts. And then...Zoom therapy? (I do that with my shrink!)

She'd probably have to find a human who could see ghosts to coordinate on the other side.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

Ooo. I like that idea!
I wonder if they could see ghosts over Zoom?

That's a good point.  On Supernatural cameras would pick up ghosts. Sometimes.  Sam should try taking a picture at some point. Just to see.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Katy M said:

She'd probably have to find a human who could see ghosts to coordinate on the other side.

That would be relatively easy, assuming ghosts can see each other over digital media...  Sam goes to Ghost doctor's location, sets up zoom with him/her.  Jay stays home with Thor, has zoom all set up on his end.  Sam calls Jay to start the zoom.  Jay just sees two boxes with no people in them, but Sam, Ghost doctor and Thor all see the Dr. and Thor on screen. 

But, if that can happen, that brings up a whole other set of questions...  if ghosts can appear on camera to other ghosts, would the ghosts see other ghosts who just happen to have died on tv/movie sets/locations, wandering around in the background? 

• Love 5
(edited)
7 hours ago, kwnyc said:

I wonder if Hetty was cosmopolitan enough to know about "confirmed bachelors," which was a term frequently used for gay men in the 19th and 20th centuries? Or, there were even marriages of convenience, where each party went their own way (sometimes with a partner of the same sex) and were fine with it as long as Appearances were Kept Up. And of course, there were "Boston marriages" in which confirmed spinsters chose to spend their lives together (sometimes excusing it by saying there were fewer men for all the women after the Civil War.)

Also known as Lavender Marriages:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_marriage#:~:text=A lavender marriage is a,of one or both partners.

Not the same thing, but Isaac mentioned having a wife and children.  He was probably too repressed to have a steady lover, though.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 3/4/2022 at 12:24 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Does she dislike him?  Or is she just tired of looking at his genitals so she wishes he had died in underwear?

Oddly I had always assumed he died in undies. I didn't realize his bottom half was fully naked. 

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

Oddly I had always assumed he died in undies. I didn't realize his bottom half was fully naked. 

It's a good thing he has long shirttails.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 3/6/2022 at 12:17 PM, iMonrey said:

Strangely enough I did not pick up on that right away. I really did assume Thor ate a person. And even when he said "tail" I thought of . . . something else. At first. LOL.

I thought he killed a human at first, I didn’t catch on right away but that whole thing was awesome.

• Love 6

The house is so big one would think there would be plenty of rooms for everybody. What did Jay and Sam do with all that food? Guess they could freeze some of it. 
I just binged the season and can’t wait for a new episode.

• Love 3

I watched the rerun of "Jay's Sister" and Trevor's dating profile said "L'Chaim Ladies" so I guess the show has been acknowledging him being Jewish all along. I just never noticed until now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I watched the rerun of "Jay's Sister" and Trevor's dating profile said "L'Chaim Ladies" so I guess the show has been acknowledging him being Jewish all along. I just never noticed until now.

He throws in Yiddish enough I figured he was. When Sam first came back from the hospital he was at the window and asked how her “punim” was. 30 years in NYC and I’d never heard that one before so looked it up. “Face.”

• Love 5
On 3/8/2022 at 10:22 AM, Snow Apple said:

Interesting about ghosts making impressions. I read and watch a lot of ghost stories and lots of people say they can suddenly see a dip on the mattress or sofa "as if someone just sat down." Some people also felt ghost cats jumping on their beds like they did while alive. True stories or not, it's fascinating stuff that I hope the show explores now that's it's renewed.

I’ve definitely felt & “seen” ghost cats.  I think they are the most likely pet to visit! 

• Love 4
On 3/11/2022 at 11:06 AM, Kiddvideo said:

He throws in Yiddish enough I figured he was. When Sam first came back from the hospital he was at the window and asked how her “punim” was. 30 years in NYC and I’d never heard that one before so looked it up. “Face.”

You've never heard anyone cooing to a baby "shayna punim?" It's a Yiddish term of endearment. Loosely translated: cutie face.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, chediavolo said:

I’ve definitely felt & “seen” ghost cats.  I think they are the most likely pet to visit! 

That would make a fun episode: Sam keeps seeing a cat, and Jay doesn't. It takes them awhile to realize it's because it's a ghost cat.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, eel21788 said:

That would make a fun episode: Sam keeps seeing a cat, and Jay doesn't. It takes them awhile to realize it's because it's a ghost cat.

It's not impossible.

Spoiler

There's a ghost pigeon in the original British version.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I enjoyed Issac & Hetty’s talk. I do wonder how FINE that from the 1930s had to be?? His buttocks probably filled out his trousers nicely. 

Issac needs to tell Nigel how he feels! The guy has been there for hundreds of years, but of course we have the guilt from killing him accidentally. 

Poor Thorfin and his nightmares ☹️. I think chatting with a ghost therapist could be good for Sam. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Sam, I hate to break it to you, but I don't think the "no ghosts in the bedroom" rule is working :p. But I love how the ghosts have no shame running to their "parents" to get them to fix a problem.

Aw, poor Thor and his six-hundred-year-old night terrors about murdering his best squirrel friend :(. (But also, damn, Thor, you didn't have to hack Trevor's hand with your axe, he was trying to help you!) I loved Sass manipulating everything this week, getting Trevor to want to room with Thor so he wouldn't have to and reverse-psychologizing Thor into trying therapy. (I also love that Thor knows about therapy because of "Frasier." Hee.). How sweet that Jay without question ran with Trevor's idea to get Thor therapy and they ultimately figured out a way to make it work. Such as it did. God only knows what the therapist must think of Sam!

And I LOLed at Thor taking over Alberta's therapy session at the end when he discovered he had new feelings he wanted to talk about. But, aw, he likes Flower! 

Sam and Jay making a spread of breakfast foods for the ghosts to smell (Jay looked up the traditional Lenape recipe of cornbread for Sasappis <3) as a bribery tool to tell them they needed to room together now was hilarious. And of course Trevor's favorite thing isn't food but the Women of Wall Street Swimsuit calendar.  Lol 

Hetty wasn't lying to Elias last week when she told him how much she'd grown thanks to the other ghosts in the house that came after her, the conversation between her and Isaac as he told her of his new feelings for Nigel was incredibly touching and she was so supportive of him without reservation. You could just see Isaac relax when she didn't immediately chastise him. I do wonder, though, if there would have been any difference in how she reacted if it was one of the other male ghosts in the house she didn't have one-hundred-and-thirty years' worth of friendship with plus her entire living lifetime of Isaac watching over her. Like Pete or Trevor. 

Her response to Isaac awkwardly trying to come on to her and begging him to kiss her nape was weirdly hilarious. Didn't think she'd be into that sort of thing or have any frame of reference for foreplay. I doubt Elias was the type :p.

I cracked up at Trevor's backpedaling for why it was 'okay' for Hetty and Isaac to room together, and Isaac disappearing through the wall when Nigel offered his cot in the shed for him and Isaac to share. Walking through walls can come in handy sometimes!

Edited by LexieLily
6 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Sam, I hate to break it to you, but I don't think the "no ghosts in the bedroom" rule is working :p. But I love how the ghosts have no shame running to their "parents" to get them to fix a problem.

LOL, they really are like children, aren't they :D? 

How sweet that Jay without question ran with Trevor's idea to get Thor therapy and they ultimately figured out a way to make it work. Such as it did. God only knows what the therapist must think of Sam!

Right? Jay hears about a ghost having night terrors and he's just like, "Oh, well, we should get them a therapist, then." He's just rolling with everything that comes along and I love it. It's also sweet in the sense it shows that he cares about these ghosts, that he's willing to go to such creative lengths to help them :). 

But ha, yes, that therapist must have some very interesting notes about Sam, for sure :D. 

Sam and Jay making a spread of breakfast foods for the ghosts to smell (Jay looked up the traditional Lenape recipe of cornbread for Sasappis <3) as a bribery tool to tell them they needed to room together now was hilarious. 

I love that Pete was the one who picked up on this being a bribery attempt :D. And I always like Jay's briefly freaked out reaction when Sam's like, "We are not getting a divorce!" You can see him thinking, "....why is that word even being mentioned...? " 

Hetty wasn't lying to Elias last week when she told him how much she'd grown thanks to the other ghosts in the house that came after her, the conversation between her and Isaac as he told her of his new feelings for Nigel was incredibly touching and she was so supportive of him without reservation. You could just see Isaac relax when she didn't immediately chastise him. I do wonder, though, if there would have been any difference in how she reacted if it was one of the other male ghosts in the house she didn't have one-hundred-and-thirty years' worth of friendship with plus her entire living lifetime of Isaac watching over her. Like Pete or Trevor. 

Interesting question. But god, yes, this scene, I could go on at length about how much I love this scene. It's so incredibly sweet and touching. Easily one of my favorite moments of the show in general. 

Her response to Isaac awkwardly trying to come on to her and begging him to kiss her nape was weirdly hilarious. Didn't think she'd be into that sort of thing or have any frame of reference for foreplay. I doubt Elias was the type :p.

So desperate for affection that she'll take it from anyone, I guess :D. Which is funny and yet also rather sad, when you stop to think about it. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

So desperate for affection that she'll take it from anyone, I guess :D. Which is funny and yet also rather sad, when you stop to think about it. 

Right? Even her amazed/happy little "Is this a seduction? Am I being seduced?" is sad when you think about the time period that she lived in and her life overall. And it doesn't say much about Elias, either :( 

• Like 3