Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Rebellion

• Start Topic

Now that Shaun has called off the wedding, he is forced to confront Lea about their relationship and determine what he really means to her. Meanwhile, the team debate their opinions on plastic surgery and Dr. Audrey Lim hopes to expose Salen’s cover-up over an infant’s death to take her down before it is too late.

Original airdate: 2/28/22

I was hoping Lea might exit the show. Is that possible?  She and Shaun don’t seem to be a good match.  I’ve never liked her,but now I don’t care for Shaun either.  Why are they writing him as being so unlikable?

Why didn’t Lim get a legal opinion on what she was trying to do?  

• Love 6

Well. That ending took a turn.

It was interesting to see how deep Shaun's fears about Lea went, that his reaction to her messing with his scores wasn't just about that, but about the idea that she may not be happy with him as he is. Especially given their history. I can sympathize with that. I do think Lea, and others, should've allowed him to stay angry a little longer, though, 'cause he does have valid reason to be upset with what she did. Yeah, she wanted to help, but that was a really serious mistake she made. And I think their conversation at the end just further proves what I've been saying throughout their relationship, that there's a lot of stuff from their history together they haven't fully resolved or addressed, and which they really should sort out, before they walk down the aisle. If they ever do. 

In other topics, good on Park for finally calling that guy out on his attitude, and coming around from his initial advice, which wasn't going to help that guy. His attitude, that's the big reason a lot of women don't date men like that. It's a real turn off. Having insecurities is one thing, everyone goes through that, but a woman's job is not to be there to puff up a guy's ego. His insecurities are his problem to deal with, and I hope he does sort himself out. She's not interested. Move on. 

I'm glad that Jordan and Asher came to an understanding. I'm inclined to agree with Jordan's general thoughts on plastic surgery, but I also agree that at some point it's best to separate one's professional and personal stances. But to be fair, she's not the only doctor on this show who's done that at some point with a patient, so... 

I had a feeling Lim was fighting an uphill battle getting that guy on board to help out with this investigation into Salen. I really hope she still keeps fighting, though - knowing her, I can't imagine she'll just give up. 

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I'm glad that Jordan and Asher came to an understanding.

They're so flirty I almost forgot he's gay.

But to be fair, she's not the only doctor on this show who's done that at some point with a patient, so... 

Find me one that hasn't, I dare you.

I had a feeling Lim was fighting an uphill battle getting that guy on board to help out with this investigation into Salen. I really hope she still keeps fighting, though - knowing her, I can't imagine she'll just give up. 

I guess it was too much to hope that Salen would be gone this episode.

• Love 8

There might be some chance that the Pharmacist and the mother could renounce what they signed due to coercion, undue influence, fraud or mistake…..but that would be up to them to decide.  If Lim wants to get rid of the woman she should get a brilliant attorney to figure out a remedy.   

• Love 7

I actually was feeling bad for Leah for most of this episode. She made a mistake erasing the reviews, but Shaun didn't seem mad at her for lying, he seemed to just be working out his insecurities.

I was glad when Park said he only told the guy to "wait" for the women who wasn't into him to cheer him up for medical reasons. Because that was really terrible advice and what he said at the end was harsh, but better in the long term. But he could have cheered him up earlier with the "there's other fish in the sea

Brazilian butt lifts must be very trendy because the Resident just did a plot about a woman almost dying from one too. My thought about plastic surgery is that if it makes a person feel better to change something about their looks and doesn't hurt them otherwise, why not? I think some people make themselves look awful, but it is their choice. But risking their life to make your ass look a certain way seems like not the best way to prioritize.

32 minutes ago, Starchild said:

They're so flirty I almost forgot he's gay.

I know, same here. Fighting like that is almost always a precursor to hooking up.

I wonder if we will ever meet Asher's family. Jordan mentions a lack of strong women in his life and he immediately jumps to his mother, and that seems like a set up for something.

• Love 8
(edited)

I think I’ve said it before, but there is definitely too much unresolved stuff between Shaun and Lea. Him still bringing up what she had previously said about his ASD in Season 3 shows he never resolved that mentally. I also think Lea’s right to feel like Shaun could hold any mistake against her, as it’s not just the ASD comments he has reminded her of in the past.

I was guessing that AG whom Lim spoke to was going to have some sort of connection with Salen, and I assume I was right. Because Lim got a call, looked discouraged, then Salen showed up and told her she knew of her efforts to take her down. I wonder where this is gonna go in upcoming episodes. Speaking of which...

...it looks like Aly and AJ Michalka will be in the next episode? Haven’t seen them in anything for years. I know of the Schooled show, but I have yet to watch an episode of it.

Edited by Virtual
  • Love 4

So, uh, another medical show having a plot about brazilian butt lifts? The Resident did it better.

I have to imagine that Salen pressuring the grieving mother to sign the document like that is not goign to look well in court.

Also, NDAs aren't enforceable when it comes to reporting a crime, otherwise we would have mobsters and drug dealers passing out NDAs so they could sue anyone who flips on them.

Shaun and Lea need therapy. Individual and couples therapy. Shaun desperately needs therapy.

• Love 10

If this is what its going to be like with Shaun and Lea just being engaged, maybe not getting married is the right call. There is still clearly so much that they haven't processed from their relationship that they would need to do before getting married and they don't really seem to be in right place to do that now. While I do think that Shaun had every right to be mad at Lea about changing his reviews, this is all clearly about his bigger insecurities surrounding their relationship and if he cant get past them, this marriage really would be over before it starts. Its just so hard for the two of them, I'm exhausted just watching their relationship, I cant imagine being in it.

If Asher wasn't gay, I would totally think that they were heading towards him and Jordan getting together, arguing is usually a prelude to hooking up on television. I tend to see plastic surgery as something that a lot of people should do a lot less of, but it can also really help some peoples quality of life, and who I am I to tell people what to do to their own bodies. Asher is right that Jordan should just focus on the patient and not her opinions about them, but when have doctors on this show not let their personal issues affect how they treat patients? Asher's done the exact same thing, so has everyone else.

Park gave the insecure guy some solid advice, its not that woman don't want to be with him because he isn't traditionally good looking, its that he is clearly massively insecure. Telling him to get over it when woman aren't into him is the best advice he can give him, don't take it so personally and move on.

Of course Salen wont be so easily defeated, but I also don't see Lim letting this go without a fight. Damn, the look Lim was throwing Salen when she was talking to everyone about the baby. If looks could kill, Salen would be a puddle of goo.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Brazilian butt lifts must be very trendy because the Resident just did a plot about a woman almost dying from one too.

Or maybe the trend is bad writers whose only resource is to copy other people's (often bad) ideas.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Of course Salen wont be so easily defeated, but I also don't see Lim letting this go without a fight. Damn, the look Lim was throwing Salen when she was talking to everyone about the baby. If looks could kill, Salen would be a puddle of goo.

Was there anyone in the universe that didn't know Salen would know about Lin's venture to the AG's office? 

• Love 4

Satan is horrific and evil. The way she approached the grieving mother to sign away any legal repercussions and then the pharmacists. 

Then the AG won't listen because Satan got to her as well. Sheesh. Please get rid of her show.
I hope Lin takes her down.  

• Love 9
11 hours ago, bros402 said:

I have to imagine that Salen pressuring the grieving mother to sign the document like that is not goign to look well in court.

Salen's not a doctor. I wonder if legally or medically, the patient wasn't in any position to sign away her rights. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, mojito said:

Salen's not a doctor. I wonder if legally or medically, the patient wasn't in any position to sign away her rights. 

The patient's waive of litigation would not be enforceable given the circumstances. It may or may come up in a later episode.

The pharmacist's waiver is more complicated because he was essentially signing it because he didn't want to commit career suicide. Suing your employer - even if you have a good case - is essentially career suicide. It didn't say what the severance package and whether it was more than the standard two weeks. 

• Useful 2

The Good Doctor has finally returned and, yep, things are still not looking too good for the majority of the gang!

At least the previews making it look like Salen was going to make Shaun take the fall for the baby's death were inaccurate, but it still sucks for the pharmacist if he really did try to warn Salen that they were falling behind and was met with deaf ears.  It's too bad he backed out with assisting Lim at the end, but I definitely got the sense that the medical field is one of those places were you really don't want to make an enemy of your previous employer if you want to keep working in that area, so I guess I can't fully blame him.  But now Salen knows that Lim tried to make a move on her and of course is being all "How dare you!" about it because at least she's "open and honest" about how she operates.  Well, besides that time she used Shaun's likeness without his permission.  And even started her entire relationship with the hospital by pretending to be a patient....

I see the theme for this week's cases was about body image and how it shouldn't let you effect your life for the worst.  Glad Park finally came around and the told the harsh truth at the end (after his initial "She might come around!" pep talk), because nine times out of ten, it usually is because the person is allowing his or her own personal issues and insecurities make them less attractive compared to just physical looks.  As for the other case, I guess the big takeaway is that if you have to get butt implants, don't go to Brazil?

Jordan and Asher's banter really did almost come off like it would have been a set up for a potential romantic pair had it been anyone else.  I don't think that's what they were aiming for, but it was giving off early Reznick/Park vibes.

Not surprised Shaun and Lea still have ways to go and even if they do reconcile, I still don't see marriage being an option until much later.  Obviously Lea massively screwed up and has issues being too patronizing at times, but Shaun clearly exposed that he has some insecurities about himself and how Lea views him, and he really needs to get a better handle on them for them to ever have a shot at actually tying the knot.

• Love 4

I’ll have to rewatch the last episode, but what killed the baby?  It seems odd an expired med would kill someone.  Was there an autopsy?  What was the official cause of death?  Salen was so evasive about it.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Annber03 said:

In other topics, good on Park for finally calling that guy out on his attitude, and coming around from his initial advice, which wasn't going to help that guy. His attitude, that's the big reason a lot of women don't date men like that.

Everyone is talking about that guy's insecurity, but I think Park was actually fat shaming him.  He said attractive women would not go for a guy who looked like that (unless they were rich or famous).  When he told the guy he needed to love himself more, I took that as code for "Take better care of yourself, lose some weight".  All that is what it is, but I can't help but wonder if they would have done the fat shaming if it was a woman.  I'm guessing not.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, circumvent said:

Or maybe the trend is bad writers whose only resource is to copy other people's (often bad) ideas.

Yes, but the Resident just aired its episode about a week ago, so I don't think the Good Doctor had time to copy that. They must have both gotten the idea from somewhere else....maybe a news article about butt lifts being dangerous or something. Or maybe a third show did it that I don't watch.

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ll have to rewatch the last episode, but what killed the baby?  It seems odd an expired med would kill someone.  Was there an autopsy?  What was the official cause of death?  Salen was so evasive about it.  

The mother went into premature labor because of her car accident, and the baby was in danger because of that. I forget the details, but they hoped the medication would save it, but when the gave the baby the meds nothing happened. They claim that was because it was expired.

I do think it would be pretty hard to prove the expired medication as a cause of death. The baby was already at risk because of the car accident and there's no way to prove if non-expired medication would have actually saved it. But I'm sure in real life this scenario would lead to a settlement because it does sound bad for a hospital to only have expired meds.

• Love 2

I was actually on Shaun's side most of the eipsode. He had a right to be angry and upset, and Lea didn't want to actually look at what happened, she just wanted to be given a pass. "I'm sorry" is not a get ouut of jail free card. It's the first step. And then when he forgave her, that also pissed her off? Her tears were the tears of someone who doesn't want to be accountable. I think they need to seriously work on their issues as individuals and as a couple, before getting married. But Shaun at least was trying to work on his, and Lea just wanted to go limp and feel sorry for herself.

Salen is so vile, I feel sick whenever she's on screen. That said, I don't fault the show for portraying her this way. I also think the actress is terrible, because she plays her character on United States of Al with exactly the same affect, and that one is supposed to be a delightful girlfriend. I thought I hated her on that show because of carry over from Salen, but now I'm thinking it's just that she actually plays them exactly the same.

Lim was naive at best to think it would be that easy to get rid of Salen. It's almost character assassination to make her think she could just go tell the AG and all would be well. SHe didn't think the AG would want to cover her own ass, hear a rebuttal, or anything? No documents, no testimony, just Lim vs Salem and the AG would risk her own career by siding with Lim? An investigation would need to happen, and it would require subpoenas because a lot of people would be putting their careers on the line by speaking up. It would be extremely messy. Lim needs a lawyer, or 20, and no way would it happen quickly or quietly, either. The media would take an interest in a deal that fell through, the AG would have to justify it publicly, it's a huge mess. She should go for it, but not alone and not without a lot more to back up her case.

I was terrified they were going to have Noah stop being gay all of a sudden. The fighting was such a trope, I felt like I was watching a slow moving trainwreck. At least they didn't do THAT, but... yikes. I don't like to fight, I don't bicker for fun, and I don't get why anyone would want to, but I understand some people do, so I guess I'll just be glad they didn't de-gay him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I understand the pharmacist signed a NDA but he did have all that email proof.

I mean there are 2 ways that can just fall in Lin's lap being that the guy just slips her the emails or Lea.

But Lea could also be in hot water if Satan finds out that she gave Lin the purchase agreement for the hospital.

Also Lin's argument wasn't well backed up. She needs to lawyer up with a lawyer who been screwed over by Satan and also find cases of Satan turning down patients due to inadequate insurance or insurance less than stellar of what Satan is looking for in a customer.  I mean that was what the clause was put in for and we have seen that in the past.

BTW who was the actor that played the patient with the over blood alcohol level that was pining over the girl? He looked familiar. 

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, greekmom said:

But Lea could also be in hot water if Satan finds out that she gave Lin the purchase agreement for the hospital.

The manner in which this show is written, it's highly likely that Satan knows what Lea did (and she'll pay for it). The same way she knew that Lim met with the AG.

Satan is this show's SuperVillian.

• Love 8

I don't think we can lay full blame at Salen for her actions here. Afterall, she doesn't have a map and is making this up as she goes:

(watched the cam shot by coincidence during the break and noticed it's the same actress, thought I'd share. Better audio version is here.)

Lea, as always master of the spin and self pitty. She fucked up royally and somehow she turned it around on Shaun.

I  assume by the season finale Lim will find a smoking gun that prevents the aquisition at the last second.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Park gave the insecure guy some solid advice, its not that woman don't want to be with him because he isn't traditionally good looking, its that he is clearly massively insecure. Telling him to get over it when woman aren't into him is the best advice he can give him, don't take it so personally and move on.

Yeah that's still the feel good Hollywood answer. Nobody likes to say it, but reality is, if you aren't super rich to compensate, you can't expect to get somebody who is much hotter than you. So when the patient asked if Park meant that he should date in his league, Park should have answered with a simple "yes". Of course there is always the exception that proofs the rule, but that's not likely.

The woman even said she loves the guy but didn't want to settle. So it's clearly not about his personality. It is about his looks. That's just reality. Sugar coating it won't help him.

12 hours ago, preeya said:

Was there anyone in the universe that didn't know Salen would know about Lin's venture to the AG's office? 

Nope. Lim clearly has never seen the wire. Otherwise she would know: "You come at the king, you best not miss." She really should have built a way stronger case before she went to the AG and if she couldn't she should have tried to get some concessions out of Salen by way of blackmail. "Would be a tragedy if the sale of this hospital was delayed or fell through because you can't keep it running smoothly. How about we draw up some corner points about how this place should be run and put that in the sales contract?" Probably wouldn't work in real life, but in the universe of this melodramatic show, I could totally see that working.

8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

But now Salen knows that Lim tried to make a move on her and of course is being all "How dare you!" about it because at least she's "open and honest" about how she operates.  Well, besides that time she used Shaun's likeness without his permission.  And even started her entire relationship with the hospital by pretending to be a patient....

Or that time she lied to the dead babies mother. Or the time she tried to sweep her fuckup with the pharmacy under the rug, by blackmailing the pharmacist. Don't think she was honest with the AG or the public there...

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, mojito said:

Yeah, if she was on any pain medication that could impair her ability to sign any documents - I have a feeling that a good lawyer could tear it apart for that reason alone

5 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Yes, but the Resident just aired its episode about a week ago, so I don't think the Good Doctor had time to copy that. They must have both gotten the idea from somewhere else....maybe a news article about butt lifts being dangerous or something. Or maybe a third show did it that I don't watch.

The mother went into premature labor because of her car accident, and the baby was in danger because of that. I forget the details, but they hoped the medication would save it, but when the gave the baby the meds nothing happened. They claim that was because it was expired.

I do think it would be pretty hard to prove the expired medication as a cause of death. The baby was already at risk because of the car accident and there's no way to prove if non-expired medication would have actually saved it. But I'm sure in real life this scenario would lead to a settlement because it does sound bad for a hospital to only have expired meds.

Usually with medical shows, they have advisors/consultants - and for odder things (which most shows like to do), the advisors browse the medical journals to look for something (I have to imagine the writers go "ok we want something to accomplish PLOT" or something similar. I have to imagine that there was some article in a journal about a butt lift gone bad.

I believe it was that since the medication was expired, it was extra strong or something? So Shaun ended up giving a dose magnitudes higher than tolerated by infants, then Shaun counteracted it as quickly as he could.

Yeah, I definitely think that in real life, this would lead to a settlement - but I imagine it would be quite a bit higher than 200k, as the fetus was viable - iirc it was 25 or 26 weeks, since I remember thinking that it was either the same or a little bit further along than I was when I was born. When I was born, it was single digit chance of survival, but it looks like the chances have improved significantly in the last 30 years (https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/zx3825)

• Love 3

After butt surgery, the patient was recoving lying on her back/butt. I'm pretty sure that anyone with abscesses, who couldn't even sit the day before, is going to not be putting her weight on her butt immediately after the operation, either. 

I know we're not supposed to notice, but is it really that hard to put her in another position?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

The undertone of imperialism was rampant. Brazil is not "half way around the world", some isolated place behind its times. In fact, one of the greatest surgeons of all times is/was a Brazilian man. All those "Beverly Hills surgeons" probably trained with him. I don't know if there is a real market for Brazilian Butt Lift, it doens't mean that it is a organ harvest type of procedure either. It is more like a procedure to make the butt look like all those "girls from Ipanema". Whoever wrote that part needs to get out of the American imperialist bubble and see more of the world

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, bros402 said:

There is a YouTube video on butt lifts gone bad: https://tinyurl.com/y83wm3ku

Is vanity really worth this?

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I know we're not supposed to notice, but is it really that hard to put her in another position?

Not that we need more evidence of the lack of curiosity, to say the least, in the writers' room. They hear about a thing, write about it without even caring about the words they use, then just don't care about the obvious post-op care - in a show full of surgeons. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/1/2022 at 4:19 PM, possibilities said:

I was terrified they were going to have Noah stop being gay all of a sudden. The fighting was such a trope, I felt like I was watching a slow moving trainwreck. At least they didn't do THAT, but... yikes. I don't like to fight, I don't bicker for fun, and I don't get why anyone would want to, but I understand some people do, so I guess I'll just be glad they didn't de-gay him.

I was so convinced they were going to be snogging by the end of the episode that I decided I must have been mistaken in thinking Noah was gay.  I wonder if the real life actors have a sexual chemistry that they can't disguise?

Edited by Leeds
17 hours ago, Zonk said:

Nobody likes to say it, but reality is, if you aren't super rich to compensate, you can't expect to get somebody who is much hotter than you. So when the patient asked if Park meant that he should date in his league, Park should have answered with a simple "yes". Of course there is always the exception that proofs the rule, but that's not likely.

The main problem I have with it is that it isn't a doctor's place to tell a patient what dating league he is in.  It's none of their business.  If they think the patient is struggling mentally, they can arrange for some sort of psychiatric consult if they think it's necessary.  Park spoke out of turn.

Most people seem to want to date out of their league.  I'm not sure that is even a desirable thing, seems like it would cause problems.  Would you always be looking to see if your partner is going to cheat, or find someone better?  Would your partner feel satisfied and happy?  Would you want your partner to think he or she settled?  There are two things driving this, as far as I can see.  Either the person's self image is more inflated than it should be (people commonly rate themselves as more attractive than others do).  Or they hope that dating an attractive person will drag them up into a better league, or prove that they themselves are in that higher league.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

The main problem I have with it is that it isn't a doctor's place to tell a patient what dating league he is in.  It's none of their business.  If they think the patient is struggling mentally, they can arrange for some sort of psychiatric consult if they think it's necessary.  Park spoke out of turn.

I mean sure. But these doctors butt into things that aren't their business all the time. I think we just have to accept that as a conceit of medical dramas.

2 hours ago, rmontro said:

Most people seem to want to date out of their league.  I'm not sure that is even a desirable thing, seems like it would cause problems.  Would you always be looking to see if your partner is going to cheat, or find someone better?  Would your partner feel satisfied and happy?  Would you want your partner to think he or she settled?  There are two things driving this, as far as I can see.  Either the person's self image is more inflated than it should be (people commonly rate themselves as more attractive than others do).  Or they hope that dating an attractive person will drag them up into a better league, or prove that they themselves are in that higher league.

I blame sitcoms, where the big hairy guy and/or old guy always has a smoking hot girlfriend or wife. If it was just one or two it wouldn't be a problem, but it's basically all of them and so a wrong picture of reality gets planted in peoples heads.

But yeah, in reality it's really not desirable to date too far out of your league. I for one am a big hairy guy who likes big hairy guys, so I think I'm good. ;D

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Zonk said:

I blame sitcoms, where the big hairy guy and/or old guy always has a smoking hot girlfriend or wife. If it was just one or two it wouldn't be a problem, but it's basically all of them and so a wrong picture of reality gets planted in peoples heads.

That's why I started watching "Kevin Can F*ck Himself." Such an innovative show that digs into this very concept. I really loved the first season, hope there's more.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, Starchild said:

That's why I started watching "Kevin Can F*ck Himself." Such an innovative show that digs into this very concept. I really loved the first season, hope there's more.

Yeah, that show is awesome. A bit of a lul in the middle, but a strong ending. Let's hope they can carry that momentum into a season 2.

• Love 2
On 2/28/2022 at 11:20 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

There might be some chance that the Pharmacist and the mother could renounce what they signed due to coercion, undue influence, fraud or mistake…..

And without a notary present to say it was actually them who signed.

• Love 6

I’ve grown to like Lea and Sean, but he did pressure her to date him, after she said no many times. If he has insecurities because of that, well, it’s his own fault. Was not expecting her to flip on him like that at the end though. 

Hated the sad sack patient who was so offended by the idea of him dating overweight women but thinks he’s entitled to his pick of women. 

• Love 5
On 3/3/2022 at 5:20 AM, Drogo said:

And without a notary present to say it was actually them who signed.

I have signed plenty of legal documents without a notary including a recent settlement that included medical malpractice.  I think the only things I have ever signed with a notary are the papers when I bought my house and possibly something to do with my car insurance.  

• Useful 1
On 3/1/2022 at 4:40 PM, bros402 said:

Plus God knows what she actually signed, same with the Pharmacist.  Neither of them actually read the document.

• Love 1
On 3/15/2022 at 10:02 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

I have signed plenty of legal documents without a notary including a recent settlement that included medical malpractice.  I think the only things I have ever signed with a notary are the papers when I bought my house and possibly something to do with my car insurance.  

Which is perfectly fine until one of the parties wants to take it to court.