Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Cash on Delivery

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

This episode made Vivian look extremely incompetent - her baby was due in a few weeks and she hadn't written one word for a rough draft or completed the nursery?!

Rachel was an idiot - did she really think multiple calls and texts would make Anna do anything?  It's surprising she let 3 months pass while still insisting that Anna would pay her back.

Neff is a very annoying character.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, peridot said:

This episode made Vivian look extremely incompetent - her baby was due in a few weeks and she hadn't written one word for a rough draft or completed the nursery?!

Rachel was an idiot - did she really think multiple calls and texts would make Anna do anything?  It's surprising she let 3 months pass while still insisting that Anna would pay her back.

Neff is a very annoying character.

Well, that was 9 plus hours I will never get back!   I started out liking Vivian...but, OMG, what a horrible wife and mother.  I am so damned confused  right now, where did I lose track of this mess?  How did they all start feeling sorry for that person?

• Love 3

What an enormous baby! 😁

I'm glad I know all this actually happened or I wouldn't believe it. No wonder this story has fascinated so many people. 

The most astonishing thing for me is that a young woman in her 20s (or any age really) would have the nerve to just go around lying to rich and powerful people like this. I realize she felt totally entitled to everything she took, but you'd think she would have stopped just out of fear, but she seemed fearless.

Not only did she genuinely not care what anyone thought of her, but she seemed oblivious to the consequences of her behaviour as well. No wonder people were convinced... they just couldn't believe anyone would have the nerve to lie right to the faces of so many famous and influential people, or risk getting caught doing it, because no normal person would ever do that. 

Episode 7 and I'm still really enjoying this show, even though I know how it turns out and I'm absolutely loving Julia's portrayal of Anna. I think it's brilliant, voice included. 

• Love 16

Maybe I'm just a bad person, but I really did not care about the pregnancy at this point, and, no, I did not find it cute or clever that Vivian was using Anna's mean-spirited "you're not special" words to somehow motivate herself during labor.  It was weird.

I was happy for Vivian when everyone in the newsroom, even Paul, was rooting for her to get Kacy's ok for the story, and cheered for her when she did.  

What was with all the unnecessary split screen in this episode?  It was too much.

Rachel made some pretty dumb decisions, but it's not like she had any good options when things were going down in Morocco, and once she was back, there wasn't much she could do but beg Anna to pay her back.  The actress did a great job portraying someone falling apart from stress.  I was happy when she finally stood up for herself at work in the disciplinary meeting.

Why were they all so shocked Vanity Fair got Rachel's story first?  I mean ... Rachel works there?  I wonder if giving Vanity Fair a good story to run is what really saved Rachel's job, since she was in deep shit over the credit card.  

Neff just appearing in the newsroom was annoying.  I love how this show thinks people can just wander into office buildings in New York unannounced.  Neff's just popping into the newsroom, Vivian's barging into Todd's office all the time, Anna was just hanging out in Alan's office without an appointment ... that's not how this works.     

• Love 15
On 2/17/2022 at 12:55 AM, SlovakPrincess said:

Rachel made some pretty dumb decisions, but it's not like she had any good options when things were going down in Morocco, and once she was back, there wasn't much she could do but beg Anna to pay her back.  The actress did a great job portraying someone falling apart from stress.  I was happy when she finally stood up for herself at work in the disciplinary meeting.

Why were they all so shocked Vanity Fair got Rachel's story first?  I mean ... Rachel works there?  I wonder if giving Vanity Fair a good story to run is what really saved Rachel's job, since she was in deep shit over the credit card.  

Neff just appearing in the newsroom was annoying.  I love how this show thinks people can just wander into office buildings in New York unannounced.  Neff's just popping into the newsroom, Vivian's barging into Todd's office all the time, Anna was just hanging out in Alan's office without an appointment ... that's not how this works.     

This. Rachel really had no options. I also hope (they didn't show it) but that she explained to VF exactly what happened in Morocco. The hotel pretty much held them hostage and she felt so unsafe, she spIit and left her card and friend behind. I was pretty annoyed with Neff when she called Rachel a snitch for selling her story. And I still don't understand why Neff even still at this point believes Anna is misunderstood.

I did laugh at drunk friend Nicole at the intervention. 

• Love 16
6 hours ago, MaggieG said:

This. Rachel really had no options. I also hope (they didn't show it) but that she explained to VF exactly what happened in Morocco. The hotel pretty much held them hostage and she felt so unsafe, she spIit and left her card and friend behind. I was pretty annoyed with Neff when she called Rachel a snitch for selling her story. And I still don't understand why Neff even still at this point believes Anna is misunderstood.

Who called Anna a scam artist! I love it that the drunk friend knew exactly what was going on. There’s no misunderstanding, no cry for help, no rich parents who cut her off, no trust fund that ever existed. This is the behavior of a scam artist getting caught. God I hope the drunk friend was based on a real person. I always feel like these shows should include more stories of the people who didn’t get suckered. There are always people who figure it out early on and walk away. I always want to know what tipped them off.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, FozzyBear said:

Who called Anna a scam artist! I love it that the drunk friend knew exactly what was going on. There’s no misunderstanding, no cry for help, no rich parents who cut her off, no trust fund that ever existed. This is the behavior of a scam artist getting caught. God I hope the drunk friend was based on a real person. I always feel like these shows should include more stories of the people who didn’t get suckered. There are always people who figure it out early on and walk away. I always want to know what tipped them off.

Yes! I love that these people exist. Like Neff's boyfriend. He totally saw through the bullshit and was like "She's a total scam artist." 

Because you know that she didn't completely fool everyone. I love hearing the little voices of those who knew exactly what was up.

• Love 11
On 2/16/2022 at 9:55 PM, SlovakPrincess said:

THIS. The last two episodes were so stressful. If I were in Rachel's shoes, I'd probably have panicked too. What I don't get is the blind loyalty these women have to Anna. Like, sure she comes off as this super rich, fascinating person but those Benjamins she throws around come with some serious red flags. I couldn't believe that Rachel bought Anna's bs for 3 months. That's insane (and delusional). I'd have hit her with a strongly worded legal letter threatening action. 

These people all need Kacy's drunk client, Photographer Piz and Neff's boyfriend to shake some sense into them when it comes to Anna's shady shenanigans. 

Neff can take all of the seats. She really drank the Anna Kool-Aid. I can't believe after everything she's still on Anna's side, and blaming Rachel for being a bad friend. There is loyalty and then there is denial. 

• Love 13
9 hours ago, ZeeEnnui said:

THIS. The last two episodes were so stressful. If I were in Rachel's shoes, I'd probably have panicked too. What I don't get is the blind loyalty these women have to Anna. Like, sure she comes off as this super rich, fascinating person but those Benjamins she throws around come with some serious red flags. I couldn't believe that Rachel bought Anna's bs for 3 months. That's insane (and delusional). I'd have hit her with a strongly worded legal letter threatening action. 

Luckily it seems like Rachel's beyond-the-point-of-any-reason loyalty was largely fiction -- sounds like in reality she got the picture but really had no choice but to keep begging, but this depiction where she was screaming at other people after months that Anna was still good for it wasn't what happened. She was scraping by as it was and didn't know what else to do after being turned away by being turned away from legal and civil recourse, it's not like she could afford legal advice. She was just fortunate that when she finally contacted the DA with the Post article that they were already investigating her.

I felt terrible for Rachel in the show and real life, but of course there are a lot of people who wouldn't have the connections and access to make a writing career out of it, they'd just be screwed with no way to find a silver lining. And in the end, Anna's the one who really got to use the situation to make herself a star and a pile of cash.

• Love 6
On 2/14/2022 at 2:09 AM, Melina22 said:

What an enormous baby! 😁

I thought the same thing! "That's a newborn?"

I felt so bad for her!

I can't believe no one has mentioned my favorite scene--Little Boy Spodek just randomly placing stickers all over Anna. I couldn't stop laughing at that! I loved how the camera didn't linger on it, it was just something happening in the background--that made it so much more believable.

On 2/18/2022 at 8:47 AM, MaggieG said:

I was pretty annoyed with Neff when she called Rachel a snitch for selling her story. And I still don't understand why Neff even still at this point believes Anna is misunderstood.

Neff, you are the only one she paid back. You need to take a seat. Rachel has every right to rectify her situation any way she can. 

On 2/18/2022 at 2:58 PM, FozzyBear said:

Drunk Nicole is the truth bomb lobber we all needed.

• Love 12

I didn't feel that sorry for Rachel on the show or after reading the article. She let Anna pay for everything for awhile and in the article she comes off as "I'm special not like the regular people" saying she was told her face would get her donations on Go Fund Me and calling an office worker helping her "mousy".

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I felt for Rachel but she brought so much of this on herself. When she and Neff thought Anna was rich and important they were willing to take advantage of an extremely expensive vacation on someone's dime.  Rachel didn't know much about Anna and she put herself in jepardy by going to a foreign country and trusting that this woman was going to foot the bill for everything. And when she got out of Merrkakesh she prodeeded to go to France and finish her vacation before returning to NY even though her AMEX had been blocked at that point. If Rachel had been a naive college student I would have had more sympathy for her. Two lessons here. Don't go someplace that you can't afford to pay for trusing that someone you barely know will pay your bill or you may get in a heap of trouble.  Secondly if it seems too good to be true it most likely is. 

I read Rachel's' book and she doesn't come across much better in the book than she did in the TV show. 

• Love 7
On 2/22/2022 at 12:40 AM, ZeeEnnui said:

I would have hit her with one of the wine bottles on the table at the intervention. And then I would have kept hitting her.

• LOL 4
16 hours ago, Lakebum said:

I would have hit her with one of the wine bottles on the table at the intervention. And then I would have kept hitting her.

And then you would have been, rightly so, arrested and charged with assault.  Violence like that doesn't solve any problems.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Confused about something.  Why, if Anna had those checks all along, didn't she use them, and instead bugged Kacy incessantly and then rode around on the subway eating out of someone's used foodbag?

Also, where did the money come from for the $5K that Anna did re-pay to Rachel, since that appeared to before her miraculous discovery of her own checks?

And I've been confused all along about the leasing of the building.  I had thought that the big financing thing she was waiting on for ADF, was in part to let her start leasing.  But for months people including Anna had been speaking about it as though she was already leasing it.  And while she was staying in the suite at that hotel where Neff worked, there was a question several episodes ago as to why she was in a suite rather than being put up in the fancier type of room given that she was leasing from that building owner, who I guess also owned the hotel...but what made no sense is that she wasn't being put up at that hotel at all, cause that owner guy wasn't even paying for her suite, so Neff would have had an earlier heads-up that something wasn't right.

On 2/13/2022 at 10:53 PM, peridot said:

Yes, it made me wonder if Vivian is an actual imbecile.  She had to be specifically coached to start writing her own article, with only two weeks before the expected due date for her baby (which, duh, could actually come sooner!)? SMH

50 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Also, where did the money come from for the $5K that Anna did re-pay to Rachel, since that appeared to before her miraculous discovery of her own checks?

I think that Anna knew kiting checks was going to be highly risky, so she waited until she was literally on the street to do it. And they never did say where the $5k came from.

• Love 3

I was happy for Vivian when everyone in the newsroom, even Paul, was rooting for her to get Kacy's ok for the story, and cheered for her when she did.  

Oh I did not like that part!  For months (in story-time) we've been shown how much of a pariah Vivian is, and the only journalist camaraderie we've seen is the three Scriberian exiles.  So to me, it just rings sooo false that the whole freaking newsroom would know about her need for one particular person's OK, let alone that they would cheer for it.

On 3/12/2022 at 3:35 AM, Lakebum said:

I am not violent at all but Anna surely brings it out of a person.

• Love 2
On 3/12/2022 at 7:25 PM, CrystalBlue said:

And then you would have been, rightly so, arrested and charged with assault.  Violence like that doesn't solve any problems.

And that's OK. It would have been worth it to go to trial and call her as a witness, and have her answer questions under oath. Just the thought of discovery probably would have caused her to drop the charges.

But I suppose everyone up there on The Moral High Ground thinks the enabling should have continued indefinitely...

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Lakebum said:

And that's OK. It would have been worth it to go to trial and call her as a witness, and have her answer questions under oath. Just the thought of discovery probably would have caused her to drop the charges.

But I suppose everyone up there on The Moral High Ground thinks the enabling should have continued indefinitely...

I am not on a moral high ground.  No one's life was in danger and there would be no self-defense to assaulting someone with a glass bottle because they trick people.  Criminal trials don't work that way.  You don't call someone to testify against themselves in order to serve your excuse for breaking the law.

On 2/13/2022 at 10:53 PM, peridot said:

I read Rachel's book, and I was constantly yelling, "You're doing the same thing to AmEx that Anna's doing to you!" Saying "I don't have it; whaddya want from me." I've had credit card crises before*, as well as a rent crisis once, and what you do is tell the people you owe that you've just been laid off or whatever, and work out a payment plan. DH and I were able to keep our apartment, and only do slight damage to our credit, by means of communicating with our creditors. Y'know, so we looked like honest people and not deadbeats. 

Rachel should have called AmEx again the instant she was back in the States. "Yes, I did charge that amount at that place, but only because scary guys were standing there to make sure I did. I'm not trying to get out of paying, but I can't pay all this at one go. What can I give you per month to stop the bleeding? I don't want to incur late charges on top of the 60K, after all." IIRC, she spent some time trying to get the charge removed entirely from her card, and I'm like, "That only works if the card was stolen and somebody else used it at the hotel!" It's like she expected AmEx to just "understand" that she couldn't pay...the same way Anna griped about people she owed money to. Perhaps Anna's attitude rubbed off on Rachel a bit. 

*though all the charges were 100% my responsibility, made willingly, not under duress. 

Edited by Lorna Mae
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Lorna Mae said:

Rachel should have called AmEx again the instant she was back in the States. "Yes, I did charge that amount at that place, but only because scary guys were standing there to make sure I did. I'm not trying to get out of paying, but I can't pay all this at one go. What can I give you per month to stop the bleeding? I don't want to incur late charges on top of the 60K, after all." IIRC, she spent some time trying to get the charge removed entirely from her card, and I'm like, "That only works if the card was stolen and somebody else used it at the hotel!" It's like she expected AmEx to just "understand" that she couldn't pay...the same way Anna griped about people she owed money to. Perhaps Anna's attitude rubbed off on Rachel a bit.

I posted a little about this in the episode 9 thread, and I recently rewatched Episode 6. It seems like Rachel took both of her cards from Morocco when she checked out and left. After Rachel discovered the charges, she told Kacy that the hotel kept her credit card numbers on file. Anna stayed for another entire week, after everyone else left. When Anna tried to check out from the hotel, she had the hotel charge that entire Anna-only week to Rachel's cards - maxed out the personal card and charged the rest to Rachel's work card. No one had permission to do that. It was fraud. It was effectively two stolen credit cards used without authorization, with the card owner having left with the credit cards a week before. It was pretty much what Anna did to Nora, when Anna wrote down Nora's credit card number and bought clothes, only the hotel did it on Anna's behalf. It was not Rachel doing to AmEx what Anna did to Rachel. The majority of Rachel's umbrage is that Anna stayed for a week after everyone left and charged all of her expenses (probably, what, $35-$45K of the $60K?) to Rachel.

Did Rachel handle the aftermath well? No, not at all. But being whiny and ineffective doesn't mean it wasn't credit card theft, under duress, arranged by a now-convicted con artist.

Edited by dovegrey
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6

Ah. Well, I read Rachel's book, and that is in there, but it's easy to miss. Okay, yes, that's terrible. I still say, though, that AmEx would have been a lot more sympathetic if Rachel had spoken to them immediately. At least immediately on her return to the USA; it would be difficult to have this convo on a shaky international phone connection. But not a month later when the statement was sent to her. Correct me again if I'm wrong, but ISTR that she spent the time before she got the AmEx bill just sweating and praying that Anna would reimburse her in time. If fraudulent charges were made, that's all the more reason to bring AmEx customer service in right away. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Lorna Mae said:

Ah. Well, I read Rachel's book, and that is in there, but it's easy to miss. Okay, yes, that's terrible. I still say, though, that AmEx would have been a lot more sympathetic if Rachel had spoken to them immediately. At least immediately on her return to the USA; it would be difficult to have this convo on a shaky international phone connection. But not a month later when the statement was sent to her. Correct me again if I'm wrong, but ISTR that she spent the time before she got the AmEx bill just sweating and praying that Anna would reimburse her in time. If fraudulent charges were made, that's all the more reason to bring AmEx customer service in right away. 

Until she got the statement, she had no idea that Anna charged an entire week to the cards that were physically with Rachel in the United States. Not even Nora knew about hundreds of thousands in charges until her own statement came. Hindsight being what it is, Rachel should have frozen the cards and alerted AmEx to the original forced-to-pay situation, but then again, she knew Anna as her heiress best friend and not a loser grifter, and trusted that friend not to completely fuck her over. Similar to Nora, Val, Chase, Talia… 

This scheme is exactly what Anna did to Hen and Talia with the covert week long stay on the yacht that Hen had to pay. At least he has money. 

Edited to add: American Express should have flagged these giant, atypical, card-busting international charges and called Rachel to see if the charges were legit. They were already aware she was having trouble in Morocco when she called them to help her pay for the scammy house tour. American Express’s fraud detection software/team appears to have missed the boat. (Hell, Visa called me about an $80 breakfast in Toronto once.)

Edited by dovegrey
  • Love 4

I was really confused in this episode why Rachel's card didn't work when she was attempting to pay for scammy house tour. There wasn't any indication that Anna had been using Rachel's card... was she just already so low on funds that it was declined?

2 minutes ago, Starry-Eyed said:

I was really confused in this episode why Rachel's card didn't work when she was attempting to pay for scammy house tour. There wasn't any indication that Anna had been using Rachel's card... was she just already so low on funds that it was declined?

If she didn't expect to use the card, she may not have alerted the credit card company that she would be out of the country. Many cards will automatically decline international charges at point-of-sale, unless the CC company has been pre-notified about the travel. Also, Real Anna got Real Rachel to pay for the airline tickets to Morocco, which wasn't mentioned in the show, so that was all on the same personal card that was declined at the scammy house tour place. I would think her card would be nearly maxed at the point, but Rachel told Kacy that, after everyone left and Anna stayed, Anna maxed out Rachel's personal card and then put the rest of the Anna-only charges on Rachel's work card. So it must have been the international charge that was declined at first, unless the phone call to AmEx resulted in a credit limit increase (they asked how much she needed to get out of the scammy tour situation). (For fun, I googled Vanity Fair salaries for someone like a staffer/photography assistant, and Rachel likely wasn't making more than $60K per year. In Manhattan. She wouldn't have a huge CC limit to start with, unless she came from money, which I don't know.)

The choppy storytelling, skimming over details, general portrayal of Rachel, and refusal to allow Rachel to do much of anything besides make sobby fish lips at people instead of telling her story...was a terrible way of telling this story. There were a couple other mini-arcs where the back-and-forth, third party recountings intermixed with Vivian manic-wailing at people along with time jumps within time jumps made it confusing and hard to follow.

Also, boy, do I need a new show. 😅

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Okay, but do you at least agree that Rachel should have immediately told the accountant or whoever at VF that she had used the company card in this way? If she'd presented it as "I probably wouldn't be in the USA right now if I hadn't," as MaggieG suggested above, it would have been a lot more forgivable. The longer one waits to confess something, the worse it looks. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lorna Mae said:

Okay, but do you at least agree that Rachel should have immediately told the accountant or whoever at VF that she had used the company card in this way? If she'd presented it as "I probably wouldn't be in the USA right now if I hadn't," as MaggieG suggested above, it would have been a lot more forgivable. The longer one waits to confess something, the worse it looks. 

Yeah. That’s when I said that being whiny and ineffective doesn’t negate the scam.

I don’t see how AmEx didn’t immediately chargeback the Anna-only charges on the work card. That was pretty clearly unauthorized use on stolen numbers. Something isn’t right and it may be that Rachel really was a sobby mess who couldn’t articulate anything or clearly state what happened to almost anyone. This is probably why Anna chose her as a “friend.”

4 hours ago, dovegrey said:

Something isn’t right and it may be that Rachel really was a sobby mess who couldn’t articulate anything or clearly state what happened to almost anyone. This is probably why Anna chose her as a “friend.”

OMG, you are so right! Good observation. 

On 2/18/2022 at 8:47 AM, MaggieG said:

She was the best part. 

On 2/18/2022 at 2:58 PM, FozzyBear said:

I always feel like these shows should include more stories of the people who didn’t get suckered. There are always people who figure it out early on and walk away. I always want to know what tipped them off.

Same. There had to be people who didn't fall for Anna's shtick and then thanked their lucky stars when the whole thing came out. (I mean people who she tried to scam, not bystanders, as it were.)

On 3/14/2022 at 12:19 PM, LuvMyShows said:

And while she was staying in the suite at that hotel where Neff worked

Did Anna ever pay even part of her bill there? I was amazed at how long it took the other hotels to finally kick Anna out and take some sort of legal action against her. I know in the scheme of things it's not much money for them (and legal fees would be more than the room bill), but it's the principal. Hold people accountable for their actions!

• Love 2
On 3/16/2022 at 10:43 PM, dovegrey said:

If she didn't expect to use the card, she may not have alerted the credit card company that she would be out of the country. Many cards will automatically decline international charges at point-of-sale, unless the CC company has been pre-notified about the travel.

Credit card companies don’t require that anymore, at least in our experience. We were told several years ago that it was no longer necessary to inform them when you travel (because they “know”). 

I didn’t feel sorry for Rachel at all. Sorry, not sorry. She was typical of those entitled beeyotches who think they’re above everyone else. She had no problem travelling on what she thought was Anna’s dime, staying in a ridiculously luxurious hotel. It was all so extra. Sorry Rachel, you want to hear the tune, you gotta pay the piper.

As for Anna, I know she was described in the this episode for the first time as “not that hot”, but I’m surprised that they have made her look so ordinary. Yes, the clothes are top shelf, but her makeup is so basic and not in a “invisibly made up to look like I’m not made up” way but literally like she wasn’t wearing any makeup. I’d expect someone in her alleged position to look more glamorous. Glasses or not, some eye makeup would have helped a lot. Garner is doing a fabulous job with the role, though.

• Love 1