Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Never Have I Ever

• Start Topic

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Gobi said:

I’m curious about something. Alina and Caleb have been friends for 13 years, so since 2008 or so. She was in the US from 2010-11. Why didn’t they meet up then? Or did they, and are hiding that?

Well Arizona and Indiana are not close but yeah they probably could have made it happen.  Their talks were probably a lot more casual back then.

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 1/23/2022 at 4:09 PM, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

She doesn't care about the pandemic, I feel she seems to not believe it's a big deal and just wants her feelings to not be assaulted anymore and for him to come for her needs and f*** everything else.

Well, she is in Idaho, so I'm not shocked.  But I'm picturing Johnny poring over state-by-state Covid statistics and getting a feel for the "temperature" in Idaho (and concluding Hell No), and enjoying the contrast between that and the research Americans do when they go the other way.

22 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

She's in love her fetish not with Johnny specifically.  Any Japanese man would do for her. 

Then she'd probably have better luck if she looked in Japan and not China. 😉

Elijah looks like 90% Alice The Goon, with a 10% dash of, maybe, Tin Tin?

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Stuckathome said:

Memphis/Hamza---he actually made a great point when he asked if she wants him or does she just want a marriage to someone? 

I remember in a preview scene for the season, Hamza telling Memphis he isn’t ready to get married. That would certainly screw up her 3 week timeline! 

• LOL 4
25 minutes ago, Gobi said:

I’m curious about something. Alina and Caleb have been friends for 13 years, so since 2008 or so. She was in the US from 2010-11. Why didn’t they meet up then? Or did they, and are hiding that?

IIRC, Caleb explained that they met years ago on some kind of language learning website, but then lost touch until he went on a Russian dating website and found Alina again. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Ah, yes, Johnny and Ella, how could I forget. She came across so poorly in this episode. As many have pointed out, especially back when this was filmed, he was NOT overreacting about Covid.....especially where she lives, where from what I gather people sort of lived like Covid didn't exist (did she have a mask on in the gym? Have we ever seen her with a mask?). Whereas he has the Chinese mindset for dealing with the disease, plus he has his kid and parents to think about. She is selfish and whiny and it was hard to remember we aren't dealing with a teenager but rather a full grown adult woman. While it may be hard for Johnny to find a manga US western loving gal in China into cosplay, he needs to hang this up and she needs to as well. This ain't happening. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Speaking of Usman: The only other time I've heard of a "Pillow Wall" was when my former  boss took a cruise with a male friend of hers. 

I learned about the pillow wall from Chris Lilley in Ja'Mie: Private School Girl on HBO. Hilariously inappropriate.

ja'mie king television GIF

• Love 1
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

IIRC, Caleb explained that they met years ago on some kind of language learning website, but then lost touch until he went on a Russian dating website and found Alina again. 

So if there was a lengthy gap the constantly-repeated 13 years is nonsense.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

That might be true IF she hadn't lived in Indiana as a foreign exchange student for a year. Someone who lives in the US for a year will definitely know how offensive the N-bomb is.

I would argue however that the sociopolitical climate in the US was much different in 2010-2011 compared to how it is now. Examples of cultural appropriation that come to mind from around that time would be Sarah Silverman and 30 Rock. Those examples didn't become as much of an issue until recent years. If she's 27 now, she would have been a 15 or 16-year old high school student then.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Stuckathome said:

She is selfish and whiny and it was hard to remember we aren't dealing with a teenager but rather a full grown adult woman.

very fully grown (but immature)

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I would argue however that the sociopolitical climate in the US was much different in 2010-2011 compared to how it is now. Examples of cultural appropriation that come to mind from around that time would be Sarah Silverman and 30 Rock. Those examples didn't become as much of an issue until recent years. If she's 27 now, she would have been a 15 or 16-year old high school student then.

I am a sixty-five-year-old Black Woman and THAT Word has never been appropriate. I was taught that the use of the N-word is an insult whenever anyone uses it. if you need a reference Look at the Chris Rock stand up on the use of the word from the 1990's.  I will give you a pass for being young and not knowing any history, but Alina is not getting one and should get off of my screen now!

• Love 22
52 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

So if there was a lengthy gap the constantly-repeated 13 years is nonsense.

ITA. They knew each other 13 years ago and have recently reconnected, it's not like they've been in touch the entire time including when she was here as an exchange student. That would also explain why his parents had never heard of Alina and had no idea he had a "Russian girlfriend" he was going to visit. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Stuckathome said:

Ah, yes, Johnny and Ella, how could I forget. She came across so poorly in this episode. As many have pointed out, especially back when this was filmed, he was NOT overreacting about Covid.....especially where she lives, where from what I gather people sort of lived like Covid didn't exist (did she have a mask on in the gym? Have we ever seen her with a mask?). Whereas he has the Chinese mindset for dealing with the disease, plus he has his kid and parents to think about. She is selfish and whiny and it was hard to remember we aren't dealing with a teenager but rather a full grown adult woman. While it may be hard for Johnny to find a manga US western loving gal in China into cosplay, he needs to hang this up and she needs to as well. This ain't happening. 

Johnny gets props for being bi-lingual, but he sounds like that robot in the Geico commercial that is desperately trying to convince his computer that he is NOT a robot!  Also, I think Ella is all talk.  If Johnny says ok let's go our separate ways, she will back off and readjust her attitude pronto.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

She would've been in Indiana on a foreign exchange visa, and he would've been 16 and living in Arizona. A meetup would not have been impossible, but probably difficult.

Easier than going to Turkey, although hookups are better in Turkey.

• LOL 4
54 minutes ago, photo7521 said:

I am a sixty-five-year-old Black Woman and THAT Word has never been appropriate. I was taught that the use of the N-word is an insult whenever anyone uses it. if you need a reference Look at the Chris Rock stand up on the use of the word from the 1990's.  I will give you a pass for being young and not knowing any history, but Alina is not getting one and should get off of my screen now!

Except I didn't say anything about whether or not the N word is an insult.

I said for Alina as a young teenager who speaks English as a second language and spent a year in the US 12-years ago when no one batted an eyelash at Sarah Silverman or 30 Rock, I wouldn't expect her to have learned during those 12 months that it was wrong. There are many other places where she should have learned it is wrong. But I wouldn't expect that her year abroad in 2010 would be one of them. 

And you have it the wrong way around. Perhaps if I was older I might not think using the N word is inappropriate. 

• Love 3

I wonder how they are going to explain offing Alina and Caleb. To me, theirs was one of the most interesting, and amusing, "journeys" on 90-Day.

I've always wondered if Caleb was aware that she was unable to stand up straight or if her videos hid her disability and he simply wasn't aware of how extreme it was until he met her in person at the airport and then at the hotel when she was having difficulty navigating the stairs. At first it seemed that he thought she was simply a short "little" woman. Am I wrong?

• Love 12
4 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Mike is vertically challenged too, which can be a dealbreaker for some women.

Maybe she thinks as a fellow minority it’s okay, like sometimes Latinx people think they can use the word.  But she is generally icky so probably not.

LatinX folks - Many are Black or Mixed race. I am Afro Boricua but I present as racially ambiguous. I grew up singing and saying the n word as slang but I know better now. it doesn't matter what my ancestry is (which is not African American like my daughter via her daddy but Caribbean) It's offensive to folks - there' a history to it. And its not just the word, she used ghetto, she used "some glow in the dark" AND she wasn't raised in a black hole. I know many Russians in Miami and NYC and MANY have said some real racist shit to me and my family. Notedly when we lived in Queens in a Russian neighborhood. They called our Tio's van - the "n word mobile" so yeah. She has said other problematic trash too. Real cute for a disabled girl who was prepared to drag Caleb for any perceived slight to her disability. We would not be cutting Caleb any slack for problematic stances to disabled folks, nor was Stupid Ella cut slack for her Asian Fetish Racism. Alina ain't getting a pass. I am so tired of White Folks using and getting a pass for being RACIST. Enough already. 

• Love 18

Alina might have been in the US for a year a decade ago, but presumably she didn't fall into some kind of cultural coma immediately on going home to Russia. We can see that she was pretty active on social media. Access to US sites and conversations only increased in the time she was back in the USSR (sorry, I know it's wrong, but I had to say it). Black Lives Matter became very prominent while she was posting away--you had to be dead not to be aware of all the racial turmoil in the US if you were on the WWW. She's appropriating black musical styles, and there've been endless conversations about how it's wrong for hiphop songs to perpetuate the use of violent, sexist imagery and language--she's not fooling anyone with this dumb-innocence act. Jeez, I could've been in a cave in Kurdistan, and if my pussy had Wi-Fi, I'd have picked up on all this stuff she claims not to know. She thinks she's cute enough to get away with shit, but she's not remotely that cute.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
6 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I dated on line after my divorce, I would meet guys for coffee at the same Starbucks because I didn't want to give a Friday or Saturday night for a potential bad date.  I actually met my current husband on JDate, we are coming up on 17 years.

Kudos for meeting your current husband on JDate.  With that luck, you should really buy lottery tickets.  😄  (Only joking - 'cause I never had a friend who got thru more than 1 or 2 dates.)  How wise to 'meet for coffee.'  Remember that dating site called "It's Only Lunch!" - very popular when these sites were taking off?  Anyway, congrats "kids!"  And now back to the gut-wrenching couples of 90-Day Fiancé.  🤓 🤡 🤓

• Love 4
2 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I said for Alina as a young teenager who speaks English as a second language and spent a year in the US 12-years ago when no one batted an eyelash at Sarah Silverman or 30 Rock, I wouldn't expect her to have learned during those 12 months that it was wrong. There are many other places where she should have learned it is wrong. But I wouldn't expect that her year abroad in 2010 would be one of them. 

And you have it the wrong way around. Perhaps if I was older I might not think using the N word is inappropriate. 

Writing as an older person, I have always known that the N word was inappropriate.  Having been an educator for over 40 years, I can verify that my students have always known it was inappropriate.  I cannot attest as to why various comedians/writers have used it, but I have not every known anyone who has used it.  Therefore, I do not think Alina just misunderstands its usage.  Just my opinion only, but through personal observation and experience is has been pretty much well known since at least the 1960s that the N word is demeaning and inappropriate.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

wonder how they are going to explain offing Alina and Caleb. To me, theirs was one of the most interesting, and amusing, "journeys" on 90-Day.

Maybe it will be similar to the way they phased out Geoffrey and Varya after things about him came to light. They played out the season but their segments were noticeably absent on Pillow Talk then they "weren't able to join us" at the Tell All with no explanation. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, TzuShih said:

And now back to the gut-wrenching couples of 90-Day Fiancé.  🤓 🤡 🤓

Remember, all of these people have been talking long enough to know exactly what kind of person they were getting, Gino had a crazy person on the line, Memphis had limited conversation with a man that could mutter "boobies" and "sexy time," Mike had a woman with two kids from two different fathers, Caleb had Alina, etc...the gut wrenching is all self inflicted.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

I wonder how they are going to explain offing Alina and Caleb. To me, theirs was one of the most interesting, and amusing, "journeys" on 90-Day.

Is the story line done? I thought the demise of these two was just speculation.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Well, she is in Idaho, so I'm not shocked. 

I don't recall seeing anyone masked in any of the scenes in Idaho.  The entire state was under crisis standards of care between September and December 2021.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I dated on line after my divorce, I would meet guys for coffee at the same Starbucks because I didn't want to give a Friday or Saturday night for a potential bad date.  I actually met my current husband on JDate, we are coming up on 17 years.

Mike's burping and farting are things that everyone does, yes maybe he could control things a bit but Noxema has two kids (that probably do those same things as well as throw their clothes on the floor), does she realize the baggage she has?  

If I ever dated again I would have to meet in Starbucks too.  Staying up is a struggle!!  Plus if you are clicking, you can make plans for dinner!

Congratulations on 17 years!!

And just to add:  did you all know that Caleb and Alina have known each other for thirteen years?  Except they haven't?

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • LOL 4
On 1/25/2022 at 6:28 PM, seacliffsal said:

Writing as an older person, I have always known that the N word was inappropriate.  Having been an educator for over 40 years, I can verify that my students have always known it was inappropriate.  I cannot attest as to why various comedians/writers have used it, but I have not every known anyone who has used it.  Therefore, I do not think Alina just misunderstands its usage.  Just my opinion only, but through personal observation and experience is has been pretty much well known since at least the 1960s that the N word is demeaning and inappropriate.

But it is still ALL OVER social media, in music, and in slang and used all of the time. (I am a high school teacher in a majority minority school.) Kids (talking teens) really get mixed messages on it. I bet they hear it more than I did growing up in the 80s/90s.

Edited by lilmarysunshine
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

If I ever dated again I would have to meet in Starbucks too.  Staying up is a struggle!!  Plus if you are clicking, you can make plans for dinner!

Starbucks would be too much pressure, just looking at each other.  After emailing back and forth for like three weeks, Mr. Outlier and I met to play miniature golf--no awkward silences there.  And we did indeed decide to go down the street to dinner afterward. 

That was in 1998.  Thank god, because I can't even begin to imagine online dating these days.  And all this show does is reinforce that to me.

• Love 8
On 1/24/2022 at 7:10 PM, TzuShih said:

The ingenuous, unpolished Pastor totally lost my empathy when he revealed his "religious Peruvian counterpart:  the multi-photo filtered MAHOGANY."  Ah yes... fer shure MAHOGANY is a most common name for females in Peru!!  (Well,...maybe a possibility for 'certain' professions.'  And no doubt, she is supporting her kids, Cherry and Fir.)

This is the MOST pathetic, painful story I've seen patched together for 90-Day Fiancé.  Makes me hate (more than usual) the cold-blooded casting/production brutes who supported this story.  🦨🦨 (Leaves a bad odor....) 

Spoiler

I wonder if this couple is on because of the Alina kick off the show?

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Starbucks would be too much pressure, just looking at each other.  After emailing back and forth for like three weeks, Mr. Outlier and I met to play miniature golf--no awkward silences there.  And we did indeed decide to go down the street to dinner afterward. 

That was in 1998.  Thank god, because I can't even begin to imagine online dating these days.  And all this show does is reinforce that to me.

I've had the pleasure sitting one booth away from a newly meeting up couple at Panera Bread!  I think that might be the Hello my name's Sam hot spot in the midwest!

Edited by Jeanne222
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, magemaud said:

ITA. They knew each other 13 years ago and have recently reconnected, it's not like they've been in touch the entire time including when she was here as an exchange student. That would also explain why his parents had never heard of Alina and had no idea he had a "Russian girlfriend" he was going to visit. 

And if they've known each other 13 years, that means they first met in around 2009. So in 2010 she was in Indiana, he was in Arizona, and they were what, 15, 16 years old? At 15 if I'd told my parents (in Massachusetts) that I wanted to go to--oh, Kentucky, say, to meet my friend from the internet, they would have laughed and laughed before they said hell no. Really, when she was here they were kids. Even if Caleb could get to Indiana, where would he stay? With her host family? I don't find it at all strange or unusual that they didn't meet in person when Alina was here. 

Oh, and no quarter on the racist talk. She knows. She just thinks she's being edgy. And her poisonous little sidekick can take a walk. Honey. You are not cute. You are not adorably bitchy. I'd rather hear a rake be dragged across a chalkboard than listen to Elijah speak. 

• Love 21
On 1/23/2022 at 12:52 PM, Kid said:

Kimbaaaly - What a tool.

Gino - What a tool.

Ben - What a slimy tool.

Memphis - She keeps verbalizing distrust and that she finds him immature but is hell bent on marrying him before she leaves.

Scameina - Too bad she could not have kept him in America sending money.

Mike - She can’t stand the sight of you.

Calib - Run!!  Run fast.

Ella - Move on, girl.

Still dying to know what’s under Geno’s hat.  Does he have a scar from a labotomy?

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

I've always wondered if Caleb was aware that she was unable to stand up straight or if her videos hid her disability and he simply wasn't aware of how extreme it was until he met her in person at the airport and then at the hotel when she was having difficulty navigating the stairs. At first it seemed that he thought she was simply a short "little" woman. Am I wrong?

No, you are not wrong.  I was confused also,as I just started watching recently.  He knew her for about 13 yrs ?  On Social Media?  All that time, he didn’t know of her disability?  What is the whole story I wonder?

• Love 1

I kind of laugh when an arguably “average” guy thinks sleeping with a lot of woman makes him more of a man. You could totally tell Caleb thought he was hot sh— when he drank on the 100 partner line during their drinking game. To me, that means one of two things:

1. The guy is lying because the biggest braggarts tend to be stretching the truth (like when not so bright guys verbalize how smart they supposedly are - they try to convince people they are more than they are). Genuinely confident, accomplished guys often don’t feel the need to talk about their accomplishments. They don’t feel the need to brag. 

2. If it’s the truth, in order to rack up those kinds of numbers it means the guy hasn’t had a lot of long term committed relationships which, then, could mean one of two things:

2a. Either he’s an insincere user who only wants to bed a woman then move on…one and done. Red flag.

OR

2b. The women are so unimpressed after the first encounter they don’t seek an encore performance.

We all saw Caleb in those sadly flat in the front spandex so I’m thinking that last option is a real possibility. 

Whatever is going on, I don’t see his “confession” as the positive he seems to think it is. The exact opposite, in fact. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I am telling you it is a tiny elf, the elf controls his crazy eyes.

I can’t believe the hubs and I are watching this shit show.  He started first, and now me.  It’s so ridiculous, but gripping. Lol.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, kristen111 said:

I can’t believe the hubs and I are watching this shit show.  He started first, and now me.  It’s so ridiculous, but gripping. Lol.

I blame my adult son for introducing me to this shit show when Dinyell was on, I told him that I am redoing my will because of his pure evil in getting me hooked on 90 Day.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I blame my adult son for introducing me to this shit show when Dinyell was on, I told him that I am redoing my will because of his pure evil in getting me hooked on 90 Day.

Edited by kristen111
  • LOL 2
21 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Well Arizona and Indiana are not close but yeah they probably could have made it happen.  Their talks were probably a lot more casual back then.

So, they met on line?  She didn’t tell him of her disability?  When he met her at the airport, was he surprised her disability was more than he expected?

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I am telling you it is a tiny elf, the elf controls his crazy eyes.

He has his own Elf on a Bald Shelf!

38 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I am that way with my 24 year old and Love After Lockup.

3 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

At 15 if I'd told my parents (in Massachusetts) that I wanted to go to--oh, Kentucky, say, to meet my friend from the internet, they would have laughed and laughed before they said hell no.

I highly doubt you or I would have even entertained the thought!  My folks?  Same reaction.  They would have had me assessed.  That day.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Mike's burping and farting are things that everyone does, yes maybe he could control things a bit but Noxema has two kids (that probably do those same things as well as throw their clothes on the floor), does she realize the baggage she has?  

Two kids, rent paid by him, probably food too, in-laws always around, new furniture.  Is she kidding?  Go buy some Febreeze and STFU.  Where did she get the money for the tattoos on her belly.  The Fairy?  Mike should dump Noxema.  ( great name btw).  I think she likes the gangster types.  The Bad Boys.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

So, they met on line?  She didn’t tell him of her disability?  When he met her at the airport, was he surprised her disability was more than he expected?

To me, Caleb appeared stunned when he first met Alina in person. He even said something about not realizing she is so small. I think he expected her to be really short, but normally proportioned and not as disabled as she is.

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

To me, Caleb appeared stunned when he first met Alina in person. He even said something about not realizing she is so small. I think he expected her to be really short, but normally proportioned and not as disabled as she is.

Yeah he probably wasn’t expecting the inward bent legs either.

• Love 4