Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, kittykat said:

I just love the fact that we finally by popular request get to see EVERYONE!

Me too. My biggest gripe with the Olympics has been the lack of full coverage. I hate seeing snippets of events. I'm stoked to see the skating in it's entirety. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 8

Very nice skate by the Belarus skater, especially considering what he just overcame mere hours earlier with the COVID testing. I love the Nutcracker music despite it's overuse. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, OnePlusOne said:

I loved that Star Wars program so much. The costume, the step sequence...he totally committed to it.

Yeah that is a neat program, who knew I'd be digging Kylo Ren on ice!

Who's gonna tell the Russian dude that this costume is doing nothing for him?

ETA - Johnny and Tara can shut up and as soon as possible please.  Russian dude needs a serious make over, and the program was moderately sucky.  Didn't do a thing for me.

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

Who's gonna tell the Russian dude that this costume is doing nothing for him?

That costume reads Egyptian to me.  I've seen it twice now and still can't quite figure out what he was going for.

• Love 4

Mishin doesn't look like he's aged in 20 years. Or maybe it's the mask. Strong skate by Semenenko, but like his teammate his skate did nothing for me. I think this may be enough to overtake Boyang.

3 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

That was a powerful skate by Semenenko. What are his chances of making the podium, do y'all think?

If he skates this well in the LP, I think he has a very good chance of making it on the podium, especially if some of the top skaters don't skate as strong. 

Lots of charisma from Aymoz and nice jumps too. Very strong performance. 

• Love 3

I feel bad for Boyang. Yes. He'll get to skate in the LP tomorrow, but likely has no chance of medaling. It's unfortunate because he was so close in 2018, but was pushed off the podium by Javi Fernandez. If (4) medals could've been given that would've been great, but sadly that's not how it works. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Bring some form of figures back, I think.  I don't know how, I don't know where, but with the advent of drones and technology and dividing the rink so that 12 single skaters can be on it at a time....there's got to be something they can do.

1 hour ago, Bewitched said:

Keep the figures through juniors.  That way the training is there and skills are built early, but the broadcast networks won't complain about boring competitions.

IMHO I don't think it's a good idea to bring back school figures.

One, moves in the field tests fulfill this very function. There are some who even feel that moves in the field do a better job than figures did at gaining a skater the skills that make for great step sequences and overall skating skills.

Two, people that I knew hated doing figures. It was boring AF and it got in the way of the skating most of us wanted to be doing. (Yes, there were some skaters like Melanie Dupon who enjoyed it enough to win multiple national titles in figures but there weren't enough of these skaters to keep figures going once they were no longer required.) I honestly think it would be mean and pointless to make skaters go back to doing something that most skaters were more than happy to give up.

Three, figures weren't something that people wanted to watch. Tracing patterns isn't going to bring in an audience let alone young skaters. Skating is already having trouble in terms of having the interest it once had. Bringing back figures isn't going to get young kids to give skating a try. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Avaleigh said:

IMHO I don't think it's a good idea to bring back school figures.

One, moves in the field tests fulfill this very function. There are some who even feel that moves in the field do a better job than figures did at gaining a skater the skills that make for great step sequences and overall skating skills.

Two, people that I knew hated doing figures. It was boring AF and it got in the way of the skating most of us wanted to be doing. (Yes, there were some skaters like Melanie Dupon who enjoyed it enough to win multiple national titles in figures but there weren't enough of these skaters to keep figures going once they were no longer required.) I honestly think it would be mean and pointless to make skaters go back to doing something that most skaters were more than happy to give up.

Three, figures weren't something that people wanted to watch. Tracing patterns isn't going to bring in an audience let alone young skaters. Skating is already having trouble in terms of having the interest it once had. Bringing back figures isn't going to get young kids to give skating a try. 

I feel like they could do something like the old gymnastics compulsories (and a bit like the ice dancing compulsories) where every skater skates to the same program that tests basic skating skills. Ice dance's RD still has a compulsory figure pattern all dancers have to complete.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
Just now, CeeBeeGee said:

I switched to NBC but it's all skiing. Where are they showing the men's SP? They were on USA but now that's hockey.

They're warming up will switch over for the final 2 groups which has the big names like Hanyu, Chen, etc.

1 minute ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Is the delectable Denis of the "Man-bunish pony tails" in this next group?

What are the odds that his Man-bunish pony tail will stay up for the duration of his programs?

Yes, both he and Hanyu are in this group.

• Love 1