Type keyword(s) to search

I Need a Recipe!

• Start Topic

That's why I can't make soup with pasta in it - it sponges up all the yummy broth!  I always make pasta for my soup separate and add it to my bowl.

I'm not sure if there's a saturation point with pasta, so I would probably test a bowlful by adding broth because you risk throwing off the taste profile by adding additional broth without all the other good stuff if done in whole. 

I'd probably go for the fork and some nice bread. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Not sure a crock pot is the best choice.

I would make tiny meat balls out of the sausage or crumble, brown them and remove from skillet. Brown onions in the fat. Put both in pan with stock, fresh  tomatoes, seasoning  and add potatoes. It will be done when potatoes are cooked. Add zuchinni near the end when potatoes are nearly done as it doesn't long,

• Love 1
17 hours ago, forumfish said:

I found fresh sausage on sale yesterday, so I ought one link of sweet Italian chicken, and one link of the hot. I also have onion, zucchini, and multi-colored potatoes (not many colors in the same potato, you know). I want to throw it in the crock pot tomorrow with chicken broth and Italian seasoning to make soup.

Should I add pasta and tomatoes, or make a cream-based soup? Should I boil and slice the sausage, or crumble and brown? I haven't made a soup with sausage before. Thanks!

I don't know if I'd add pasta if there are already potatoes in the soup, but I don't like my soup too starchy.  So if I were making that dish, I'd either go cream or neither (actually, neither would be my choice).  Or nix the potatoes and use that for something else. 

1 minute ago, PRgal said:

I don't know if I'd add pasta if there are already potatoes in the soup, but I don't like my soup too starchy.  So if I were making that dish, I'd either go cream or neither (actually, neither would be my choice).  Or nix the potatoes and use that for something else. 

Ha! I don't like potatoes in soup either. I was going with her cook all at once idea. 

Here is what I would do. Take sausage out of casing make into 2 patties and serve with a poached egg on top. A side of sautéed zucchini and sliced tomatoes makes a delicious carb free meal for 2! 

I forgot to add. I would grate the potatoes,  make hash browns to serve to my grand children. lol! 

• Love 1

My Mom usually ends up with both potatoes and pasta in her turkey bone soup post-holidays.  Some people like pasta, some people like potatoes and some like both.  I would cook the pasta separate though and add it in to the individual servings because pasta slurps up all the yummy broth.

• Love 1

I'm looking for a recipe for Spaghetti Pie.  It sounded gross to me when I first heard of it in one of the Duggar forums, but then someone said it was more like a quick and dirty version of lasagna.  Lasagna?  I'm there!  Anyone have a recipe for Spaghetti Pie that leans heavily toward the lasagna territory?

7 hours ago, Zahdii said:

I'm looking for a recipe for Spaghetti Pie.  It sounded gross to me when I first heard of it in one of the Duggar forums, but then someone said it was more like a quick and dirty version of lasagna.  Lasagna?  I'm there!  Anyone have a recipe for Spaghetti Pie that leans heavily toward the lasagna territory?

I never thought of it as quick lasagna. The version I grew up with was cooked spaghetti noodles mixed with melted butter, a beaten egg, and parmesan, pressed into a pie dish. Put down a layer of ricotta cheeses (or cottage cheese if you prefer). Cover with meat sauce (ground beef browned with chopped onion mixed with jarred spaghetti sauce). Top with shredded mozzarella and bake until cheese has melted and browned a little.

If you are still interested after that description, I can post a real recipe this weekend (currently out of town). 

On 2016-10-25 at 10:14 PM, forumfish said:

Thanks for all the feedback! This made me laugh:

Because if there is one thing my family is NOT, it's carb-free. We are all about the carbs! That dinner does sound good, except for the poached eggs (the thought of runny egg yolks kinda makes me gag).

I was using the crockpot because I was going to be out this afternoon, taking my sister for a medical appointment, and I knew I wouldn't be home in time to start soup and have it ready for dinner. At the last minute, I decided to go with an old standard, and made veggie soup with macaroni, and froze the sausage for another day*. It turned out to be a good decision, since Sis and I got home at 6:30.

*Later this week, I will probably end up thawing the sausage in the microwave, then browning with onions before adding tomatoes, zucchini and sliced potatoesfor a skillet supper.

Oooo, what about breakfast for dinner?   Mix all your ingredients (with the exception of the potatoes) in with eggs for a fritatta and then make a side of homefries with the potatoes.  Serve with a green salad to add more colour.  There and done! :) 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I never thought of it as quick lasagna. The version I grew up with was cooked spaghetti noodles mixed with melted butter, a beaten egg, and parmesan, pressed into a pie dish. Put down a layer of ricotta cheeses (or cottage cheese if you prefer). Cover with meat sauce (ground beef browned with chopped onion mixed with jarred spaghetti sauce). Top with shredded mozzarella and bake until cheese has melted and browned a little.

If you are still interested after that description, I can post a real recipe this weekend (currently out of town). 

Please do!  It sounds like something I would try.

On 10/25/2016 at 7:14 PM, forumfish said:

Thanks for all the feedback! This made me laugh:

Because if there is one thing my family is NOT, it's carb-free. We are all about the carbs! That dinner does sound good, except for the poached eggs (the thought of runny egg yolks kinda makes me gag).

I was using the crockpot because I was going to be out this afternoon, taking my sister for a medical appointment, and I knew I wouldn't be home in time to start soup and have it ready for dinner. At the last minute, I decided to go with an old standard, and made veggie soup with macaroni, and froze the sausage for another day*. It turned out to be a good decision, since Sis and I got home at 6:30.

*Later this week, I will probably end up thawing the sausage in the microwave, then browning with onions before adding tomatoes, zucchini and sliced potatoesfor a skillet supper.

I love carbs too.  In order to keep my weight where I want it I eat low carb most of the time.   Not saying I never have them, I do, just as a general rule. I have bread as a treat and never eat pasta because it isn't something I crave.   

I would love to have a low carb thread under the food heading, not health and weight.  I don't know who the mod here is to ask, I have been looking.  If you know who it is, please tell me.   I have a lot of meals I would like to share and talk to others who go this route.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I would love to have a low carb thread under the food heading, not health and weight.  I don't know who the mod here is to ask, I have been looking.  If you know who it is, please tell me so I can ask.   I have a lot of meals I would like to share and talk to others who go this route.  

I'm pretty sure anyone can start a topic thread, and (mod, please correct if I'm off base) as long as the conversation stays food- or recipe- based, and doesn't veer off into talking about diet plans (what you eat/don't eat, when you eat, how much you eat, exercise regimens, etc.), then you should be OK.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

I'm pretty sure anyone can start a topic thread, and (mod, please correct if I'm off base) as long as the conversation stays food- or recipe- based, and doesn't veer off into talking about diet plans (what you eat/don't eat, when you eat, how much you eat, exercise regimens, etc.), then you should be OK.

Thanks.  I started one in the health section because it better placed there.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Thanks.  I started one in the health section because it better placed there.  

Link, please?  I need to start watching my carbs.  I doubt I'll ever be able to go low carb, but if I find enough foods I like that are carb-friendly, it'll help.

1 minute ago, Zahdii said:

Link, please?  I need to start watching my carbs.  I doubt I'll ever be able to go low carb, but if I find enough foods I like that are carb-friendly, it'll help.

It is pretty easy to go low carb.  Come on over and we will talk about that! 

• Love 1

Where can I go to find really good recipes for slow cookers?  And, can anyone recommend a safe brand that can be left on during the day while my daughter is working?  She said she needs to start using a slow cooker to make good and nutritious meals for her 6 year old son, her husband, and self.  She's tired after a full day of work and not ready to start cooking.  I'm not a fan of slow cookers (but then, I had an old, original style Crock Pot and the food always reminded me of hospital cafeteria food!!).  Thanks :>)

• Love 1

Ours is Hamilton Beach, I think. It may be Crock Pot, though. We leave it on when we are gone.

They are much better than they used to be, particularly the removable liners that are easier to wash.

i search Pinterest for recipes. The Crock Pot website has lots of recipes.

• Love 2

I depend on America's Test Kitchen for both equipment reviews and recipes. I have an All-Clad that they used to recommend, but I think they've decided some newer models are better. I have 2 of their slow cooker cookbooks, one being for healthier recipes. I subscribe to their on-line service which gives me access to all their recipes and equipment reviews. I'm hard pressed to remember being disappointed in their recipes or recommendations.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

OK Gourmets/Gourmands - I have a little tub of D'Artagnan Truffle Butter in the fridge.  Any suggestions?

Lucky you!  Use it anywhere you would use butter!  On top of a steak, add to a pan sauce at last minute, love it on a soft cooked egg either poached or soft boiled.  Put a dab on top and allow it to melt just before you eat it.  Don't sautee with it, add it to anything after it is cooked.  Spread on crackers is good too.   Vegetables, potatoes and on it goes.  Don't waste on things that are highly seasoned or you won't taste the subtle flavor. 

ETA, this has real pieces of truffle in it.  Truffle oil is a synthetic truffle flavor and why chefs hate it and look down on chefs who use it. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, wings707 said:

Lucky you!  Use it anywhere you would use butter!  On top of a steak, add to a pan sauce at last minute, love it on a soft cooked egg either poached or soft boiled.  Put a dab on top and allow it to melt just before you eat it.  Don't sautee with it, add it to anything after it is cooked.  Spread on crackers is good too.   Vegetables, potatoes and on it goes.  Don't waste on things that are highly seasoned or you won't taste the subtle flavor. 

Exactly what I wanted to know.  Thanks, wings!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, spiderpig said:

D'Artagnan

Whenever I see D'Artagnan spelled out, it always throws me for a loop. My last name has that agnan in it, and the only place I ever expect to see it is where I wrote my name.  

On 10/29/2016 at 6:34 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Where can I go to find really good recipes for slow cookers?  And, can anyone recommend a safe brand that can be left on during the day while my daughter is working?  She said she needs to start using a slow cooker to make good and nutritious meals for her 6 year old son, her husband, and self.  She's tired after a full day of work and not ready to start cooking.

My $25 Crock Pot brand slow cooker works just fine. It doesn't have any electronics on it, just a switch that lets you choose from Off, Low, High, or Keep Warm, which I guess could imply that you could make it unsafe by putting something on High for too long.

As for recipes, I find that a very high percentage of typical slow cooker recipes do not also qualify as good/nutritious.  So many are some stuff and then a can of cheese soup.  I have a Weight Watchers slow cooker book, and that one has produced a few keepers for me.  Or you could just Google Weight Watcher Slow Cooker and find some quick links to things worth trying. From that link, I've made my own version of the chicken chili and I made the Fiesta Chicken Soup.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Whenever I see D'Artagnan spelled out, it always throws me for a loop. My last name has that agnan in it, and the only place I ever expect to see it is where I wrote my name.  

You're taking me back to my high school days, JTMACC99.  I was too lazy to plod through The Three Musketeers and asked my friend "Hey, we have Athos, Porthos and Aramis.  Who the heck is D'Artagnan?"  Without looking up from her book she replied "He hung around with the other Musketeers and wanted to be one".

That's how you got exposed to World Lit as a teen in the 60s.

• Love 3

Has anyone here ever cooked salt cod? I saw Jacques Pepin use it in a recipe on Create last night, and am intrigued. Before using it you have to soak the salt out of it, using a series of fresh water soakings over a period of hours if not days. His dish looked tasty at the end - but then his dishes always look tasty.

On 11/2/2016 at 9:33 AM, graybrown bird said:

Has anyone here ever cooked salt cod? I saw Jacques Pepin use it in a recipe on Create last night, and am intrigued. Before using it you have to soak the salt out of it, using a series of fresh water soakings over a period of hours if not days. His dish looked tasty at the end - but then his dishes always look tasty.

It is waaaaaaay too salty no matter how many times you change the water. It is not good.  They used salt to preserve cod before refrigeration so this is not a fancy thing.  I have no clue why someone thought it was a good idea to bring this back.   LOL! 

Aww, salt cod is a common ingredient in Trinidadian (and other Caribbean) cooking. Yeah, it's salty, but I'm used to it and I like it. Sorry, no recipe; I might have to ask my auntie. 

• Love 1

My aunt used to make salt cod (baccala) two different ways as part of the 7 fishes for x-mas eve. The first way was in tomato sauce with potatoes and celery. The second was as a salad with vinegar peppers, celery, and olives. I haven't had it in years though and since my mother didn't make it I don't know the recipes.

• Love 1

I am sorry, Trini, I did not intend knock a traditional dish, of your country.  I was just reporting that it is too salty for me.   Is there a reason not to use fresh cod in those recipes?  

Edited by wings707

Does anyone remember a cream cheese pie in a chocolate (storebought) crust?  I've got a bar of cream cheese and a chocolate crust and want to do something with it but none of the recipes I've looked up sound like what I've had in the past.  It's one of those simple recipes with some raspberries tossed on top at the end...I think.  TIA :>)  

10 hours ago, wings707 said:

I am sorry, Trini, I did not intend knock a traditional dish, of your country.  I was just reporting that it is too salty for me.   Is there a reason not to use fresh cod in those recipes?  

It's fine. :)

It's just tradition / what they are used to cooking with. We definitely use fresh fish, too. (And I guess the salt cod is more convenient to store than fresh.)

• Love 1

I'm looking for a good recipe for a cheese spread to make for an upcoming holiday party.  I thought about making some pimento cheese (I love pimento cheese, but have never made my own homemade) but I love spreads that are sweet and savory.  I've had appetizers made of spreading deli ham slices with a mixture of cream cheese, chopped pecans, chopped dried cranberries or cherries, and some green onions rolling them up and slicing them into one-inch pieces and love the sweet/savory taste.  I've found recipes for mixing cream cheese, pecans and cranberries, but what about the savory part?  Some finely chopped green onion (just a little?) or maybe even some finely minced ham?  Some versions I've seen also call for some blue cheese (which I love), but I don't want that to overpower.  

If anyone has any version of a good cheese spread (even something totally different than what I'm thinking of in my descriptions above) I would love to hear about them.  The only ingredient that I don't want to add is goat cheese--I've tried it, but I'm not a big fan.

@BooksRule this might not be what you are looking for but one year when my family (mom, dad, sister, bil, my partner) realized we couldn't celebrate any holidays together we did a birthday dinner on a random date when we were all in the country and I had everyone tell me their favorite childhood food and I did a twist on them. My  mom's favorite was my grandmother's pimento cheese I did a Spanish version, this is the closest I could find online to a recipe (it has goat cheese but you could substitute cream cheese or any soft cheese that is mild) and we served it in as an appetizer cheese plate with other cheeses and a fig jam and quince paste. It's savory and the fig and quince provide the sweet for those who want it. 

Though Clinton Kelly's Chutney cheeseball is also a crowd pleaser!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I make a cheese spread that has cream cheese, grated cheddar cheese, apple cider vinegar, black pepper and then you put pecans on the top. It's really simple but it is very tasty and I get lots of compliments on it. It really needs to be made a day ahead and refrigerated so the flavors really mingle.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I bought Trader Joe's Artichoke Ravioli, but can't figure out what kind of sauce to have them in.  Any suggestions?

Brown Butter? Or a white wine sauce maybe? 

I make a cheese spread that has cream cheese, grated cheddar cheese, apple cider vinegar, black pepper and then you put pecans on the top. It's really simple but it is very tasty and I get lots of compliments on it. It really needs to be made a day ahead and refrigerated so the flavors really mingle.

That sounds good.  I might give that one a try.  I definitely like anything with cream cheese in/on it.

On 11/16/2016 at 7:46 PM, chessiegal said:

I'd use it in any stir fry.

I added the umami paste to a Thai curry sauce with shrimp.  The dish was delicious, but I didn't do a real pre taste test without the umami, so jsut sayin'.

(Isn't "umami paste" like saying "salty paste" or "sweet paste"?  I dunno, but I can't resist most stuff on the New Products shelf.)

On 10/28/2016 at 10:00 AM, wings707 said:

I love carbs too.  In order to keep my weight where I want it I eat low carb most of the time.   Not saying I never have them, I do, just as a general rule. I have bread as a treat and never eat pasta because it isn't something I crave.   

I would love to have a low carb thread under the food heading, not health and weight.  I don't know who the mod here is to ask, I have been looking.  If you know who it is, please tell me.   I have a lot of meals I would like to share and talk to others who go this route.  

I also would be interested in this thread. My mom is gluten free and has other food restrictions so I'd appreciate any new recipes, product suggestions or info

I keep my pantry stocked with stuff on sale we can eat in an emergency (earthquake, hurricane, Martian invasion...) but wouldn't include in our fabulous everyday gourmet meals.  Still, I have to rotate the stock.

Any suggestions for canned clams (other than feeding them to the cat)?  Would they deep fry OK?

27 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

I keep my pantry stocked with stuff on sale we can eat in an emergency (earthquake, hurricane, Martian invasion...) but wouldn't include in our fabulous everyday gourmet meals.  Still, I have to rotate the stock.

Any suggestions for canned clams (other than feeding them to the cat)?  Would they deep fry OK?

I'd go with a white clam sauce, something like this: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/11951/linguine-with-clam-sauce/

Or possibly clam chowder.

10 hours ago, spiderpig said:

ACK! Don't feed them to the cat!  Clam fritters are delicious and easy.  

Drain one cup of chopped clams.  Measure the juice.  Add milk to make 1/3 cup of liquid.  In a bowl whisk one egg and add the liquid. 

Sift together 2/3 cup of flour, 1t baking powder, 1/2 t salt and pepper to taste.  Add liquid and clams. 

Saute in bacon fat (delicious) or oil or deep fat fry.  I have done both.  Easy and delicious.  They are a always a hit.  

I make a remoulade sauce for dipping. 

OR linguine with clam sauce.  The recipe is right on the can.  I love this too. 

OR clam dip. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2