Type keyword(s) to search

I Need a Recipe!

• Start Topic

On 6/2/2018 at 4:58 PM, DeLurker said:

Anyone cook with jackfruit?  I've only recently heard about it as being a good meat substitute and am looking for some recipe ideas for our family get-togethers that would work for both the vegetarians and carnivores.

If one of you would be willing to entertain my newbie questions or can point me in the direction of a good site, it would be most appreciated.

This is the recipe I've used. https://minimalistbaker.com/bbq-jackfruit-sandwiches-with-avocado-slaw/

• Love 1

I had a historical society meeting tonight and had volunteered to bring food (we were planning wine and cheese).  I was told to prepare for 40 or 50, so when I couldn't find a decent cheese platter already made up at the store (I waited until the last minute, of course), I bought a big block of sharp cheddar and a block of Monterrey Jack and cut it all into cubes.  (I also brought some green grapes and a couple of kinds of crackers).  Anyway, we had about 25 people show up, so I brought about half of the cheese home.  I like cheese, but that's a lot of cheese!  Any ideas on some recipes to help use it up?  I know you can freeze cheese (realizing that the texture will change somewhat, but I would be using it in recipes, not just for snacking).   Also, tips for how to keep it as fresh as possible for as long as possible would be good, too.

I thought about a Mac and cheese recipe.  I've never made one from scratch, mainly because it would get expensive to get enough cheese to make it really, really good.  I'll definitely keep that in mind.  Ummm, homemade pimento cheese!

1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

Also, tips for how to keep it as fresh as possible for as long as possible would be good, too.

They make cheese bags, but if you don't have those, use wax paper or cheese cloth to wrap the cheese, then put that in a plastic bag that is not entirely sealed or loosely wrap again in foil.  The big mistake many people (and many stores!) make is wrapping cheese, tightly, in plastic.  You don't want the plastic directly touching the cheese, nor do you want the storage airtight.  You want a balance between letting it breathe and not drying it out. 

(Best storage practices vary by cheese, but for the two you're dealing with, this should work for both.)

And don't let it get too cold (so, in a refrigerator drawer, basically).

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

They make cheese bags, but if you don't have those, use wax paper or cheese cloth to wrap

Yeah if it’s just a obe off over supply of cheese, wax paper is the only way to go. My boyfriend has a cheese addiction and goes multiple times a week to various cheese shops/counters and we always have random bits of cheese and wax  paper keeps it fresh and cheddar and jack keep sharp longer and you can scrap off the exterior mold and still eat it, don’t do that with soft cheeses but cheddar and jack are fine.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

This discussion reminds me of a recipe I recently found online at the 12Tomatoes website:  French Onion Chicken.  It calls for a cup of Swiss cheese but I have shredded Gruyere in my freezer that needs to be used so I'm going out to buy some boneless skinless chicken breasts.  I adore French onion soup so this should be right up my alley!

• Love 3

I'm looking for suggestions and/or recipes for very mild, easy to digest food, particularly soups. I'm currently have reoccurring nausea and other digestive issues and I'm stymied for things to eat that aren't toast or yogurt (so tired of both). Nothing sounds particularly appealing to me which makes thinking of stuff to make difficult. I'm completely uninspired. I'm trying to limit dairy (except for yogurt), anything spicy or acidic, and anything with a lot of meat or fiber. Help!

I don't know if this is helpful but when my GI system acts up, I go out and buy a rotisserie chicken (I only eat the white meat--and no skin) and have it with rice (now I get Uncle Ben's Ready Rice...regular or basmati) or a baked potato.  The only soup I'll eat during this time would be Ramen--sometimes I'll add some pieces of chicken to it.  Or, I'll just have rice (if I'm feeling really rough, the rice will be plain, no butter).  I was going to suggest tapioca pudding but you're limiting dairy and the recipe on the box calls for 2 cups of milk (love that tapioca pudding; I can easily eat the whole bowl).  It's the pits having digestive issues.  Everyone else is eating fabulous foods and you're limited to the boring stuff.  I hope your system gets back to as near normal as possible very soon!

• Love 1

@MargeGunderson - I'm a big fan of rice soup, basically a really simple congee.  Start with a broth (rotisserie chicken bones are great for this), add a lot of small diced onions, a small about of rice (you can use already cooked rice or uncooked, but it slurps up the broth), some miso (or Lipton Onion Soup mix), fine white pepper.  Cover a simmer on low until the rice is done to your taste.  You can dress it up to your taste - green onions, fresh ginger, other veggies...add a protein to your bowl right before you eat it.

I keep all sorts of bones to make this, so whatever you might have on hand.  I've also made it with store bought broth - chicken, beef, vegetables...

I also like to have wonton soup when I don't feel well.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

love that tapioca pudding;

Me too. I make a version for my brother that he’s over the moon with. Use half maple syrup extract and half vanilla. Then add pecans (as long as it is unsalted you can use the nut of your choice). I use it to barter with him and usually get what I want lol. 

• Love 1

I really hope that whatever is going on clears out soon - it sounds like quite the challenge to get a nutritional mix that will work.

I love rice soup.  I can seriously eat it anytime of day and all day.  Once you get it made it is easy to have that perfect amount that makes you feel comfortable, but not overly full.

• Love 1
On 7/26/2018 at 11:56 AM, MargeGunderson said:

I'm looking for suggestions and/or recipes for very mild, easy to digest food, particularly soups. I'm currently have reoccurring nausea and other digestive issues and I'm stymied for things to eat that aren't toast or yogurt (so tired of both).

Have things eased up?

After discussing rice soup here I went digging through my freezer for my bone bags.  I've made the broth, skimmed the fat and have the onions doing their thing now.  I'll add some rice in a bit and I should be sent by later today!

• Love 1

@DeLurker, thanks for asking! It’s sort of better in that I haven’t been nauseated as often, but not back to normal. The weird thing is that it’s really only eating in the evening that’s the problem. I did have rotisserie chicken but it’s been so hot here that I’m not cooking. Jello, rice pudding and dry Cheerios are in my rotation. 

Hmmm...could your blood sugar be dropping too low in the evening?  When mine drops, I often get a queasy feeling too.

It has been crazy hot here too and cooking is not appealing and feeling full just makes me uncomfortable when it is so warm.

I got a really poor delivery order of Pat See Ew noodles last night - a huge undercooked clump with no flavour.  Any suggestions as to how to rescue it?  Thank you!

Edited by Brookside
Pat see ew not phat thai
12 hours ago, Brookside said:

I got a really poor delivery order of Pat See Ew noodles last night - a huge undercooked clump with no flavour.  Any suggestions as to how to rescue it?  Thank you!

I'm not sure you can save it if the noodles were undercooked.  The basic seasoning that goes in is based on oyster sauce, soy sauce and fish sauce so if you have some of them around you can try to add a bit more flavor.  White pepper too.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I'm not sure you can save it if the noodles were undercooked.  The basic seasoning that goes in is based on oyster sauce, soy sauce and fish sauce so if you have some of them around you can try to add a bit more flavor.  White pepper too.

Thanks.  Perhaps I'll freeze them.  At some point in the future when it's not 95 degrees (the reason I ordered take out in the first place) I might try making them into thai curry soup.  The noodles have so little flavour perhaps that will work.

13 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Anybody have a stuffed zucchini recipe they really like and can share?

I don't have a recipe & it's been a very long time, but I once used ground lamb with dried oregano & it was much better than previous versions with hamburger or ground turkey/chicken -- plus mint sauce at the table.  Best of luck.

• Love 1

That sounds good! I found online a collection of 15 ideas. I’m going with Pizza stuffed, which was scoop out the middle, sauté it in some olive oil, mix in some marinara sauce, fill in the zucchini with that, cover with mozzarella and pepperoni or fake sausage for my vegetarian child. Bake. 

Having a recipe that I can alter to make one plate meat free is a big plus for me. 

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 1
On 8/16/2018 at 6:15 AM, JTMacc99 said:

That sounds good! I found online a collection of 15 ideas. I’m going with Pizza stuffed, which was scoop out the middle, sauté it in some olive oil, mix in some marinara sauce, fill in the zucchini with that, cover with mozzarella and pepperoni or fake sausage for my vegetarian child. Bake. 

Having a recipe that I can alter to make one plate meat free is a big plus for me. 

I'm super lazy, so I like to slice zucchini, layer it with ground chicken that I season like italian sausage (fennel, garlic, oregano, basil) and saute.  and then top with parmesan and panko.  It's like a deconstructed and lighter version, lol.  Maybe 200-250 calories for a pretty generous portion.

• Love 2

I made pumpkin and sage ravioli (fresh premade at the grocery store) with browned butter and sage sauce (Made from scratch.) It was good and I got lots of compliments. Now I'm looking for slow cooker mac and cheese recipe. Seems like people say if you have to boil the pasta first, you might as well make a casserole in the oven. I think all the no boil recipes include Velveeta - not a fan. Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, KnoxForPres said:

https://dinnerthendessert.com/slow-cooker-macaroni-and-cheese/

That one is no boil and no Velveeta.  I think if I did it I’d sub the mozzarella for a gruyere or fontina.  It’s a pretty fast cook for slow cooker so may not work for your needs but looks pretty good and conducive to doubling I’d think since it only calls for 8 oz pasta (hate using a half box but may just be me).

Sounds perfect - thanks!

• Love 1

chessiegal, if you try it, please report back.  I think it looks interesting, too, although I agree that adding a different cheese might be better.  I hate baked mac and cheese, but I also can't stand it when the noodles are too soft, so if you make it, please let us know how it all turned out.

I will report back. I'm going to brave the Nor'easter tomorrow to get the ingredients.  Our neighborhood Halloweinerschnitzel Festival is Sunday. We're a small community of 40 some houses, but are lucky enough to have our own acre or so plot as a park for parties. Neighbors with ride mowers take turns mowing it in the summer. Great neighborhood.

• Love 2

Reporting on the slow cooker mac 'n cheese using uncooked elbow recipe suggested to me above. I would call it a semi-success, as I didn't take it to the neighborhood party. It tasted great but didn't look particularly appetizing. At 90 minutes it was a soupy mess with not all the pasta cooked. I stirred it and 30 minutes later it was perfectly done. I didn't like the stringiness of the mozzarella. Next time I'll use all cheddar. It was also very pale, I guess because I used a white cheddar cheese. I wish I had sprayed the ceramic insert with oil. It also doesn't make very much - recipe says 8 servings, but seems exaggerated. Comments on the web site had lots of folks doubling it for pot lucks. The cooking time may not need to be increased. I also wonder if a traditionally shaped crock pot might be better suited. I used my new casserole shaped Crock Pot.

Funny thing was I bought potato salad with egg from Safeway, put it in a bowl, and people kept raving about the wonderful homemade potato salad. I told them that you too can make it by buying it at Safeway!'

• Love 3

@chessiegal I've had some success with Trisha Yearwood's recipe, but it's not a no boil recipe.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/crockpot-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe-2107509

I've found this no boil recipe

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a51531/slow-cooker-mac-cheese-recipe/

You may want to try to modify a one pot recipe like this:

https://tasty.co/recipe/easy-one-pot-mac-n-cheese

I, personally, would never use mozzarella in a mac and cheese. It just never seems to melt in the way that you need for mac and cheese. I tend to be a semi classicist--butter, heavy cream, extra sharp cheddar, and parmesan. 

11 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I volunteered to host students for Thanksgiving, and I found out today that one doesn't eat dairy and the other is vegan. Does anyone have any favorite Thanksgiving recipes that they can enjoy?

Roasted Butternut Squash soup. A platter of roasted vegetables. Stuffing made with vegetables and vegetable stock but cooked in the oven separate from the turkey. Broiled cauliflower “steaks” which are really just thick slices of the vegetable or portobello mushrooms stuffed with onions, celery, and herbs. Sautéed spinach and mushrooms. Roasted sweet potatoes with maple syrup. Cranberry sauce. Red cabbage with apples (sautéed or braised). 

Edited to add: What about ravioli stuffed with either pumpkin or sweet potatoes and pecans? If any of the above suit your fancy I’d be happy to furnish recipes. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I volunteered to host students for Thanksgiving, and I found out today that one doesn't eat dairy and the other is vegan. Does anyone have any favorite Thanksgiving recipes that they can enjoy?

Balsamic roasted root vegetables.  Pureed cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes.  Brussel sprouts however you find it the way you like it on the googles.

For dessert, maybe some fried apples in cinnamon?  

• Love 2
On 5/17/2018 at 3:41 PM, Lisin said:

Sometimes I add in a bit of Abuelita hot chocolate! (Abuelita is the only brand I can easily get up north). 

I just found Abuelita in powder form and had to give it a try.  Much superior to your standard Swiss Miss packets (my kids love them).  It may not be as good as making it from the solid chocolate form, but certainly a lot quicker and easier for just one cup.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:13 PM, Fairfax said:

The recipe is here.   You can use the same amount of fresh tomatoes with their juices instead of canned -- you can use salted butter & omit adding salt.  I don't discard the onion -- I save half of it for something else, & puree the other half in the blender with the tomatoes after everything is cooked.  When I use the completed sauce later for meatballs or spaghetti, etc., I add garlic & basil &/or oregano to taste at that time.  It is the best tomato sauce ever. 

This has become my favorite spaghetti sauce recipe.  I'm trying it today in the slow cooker. 

• Love 1