Type keyword(s) to search

I Need a Recipe!

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Trini said:

Anyone got any recipes using dehydrated potato flakes (AKA instant mashed potatoes)? We have... a lot.

The only thing I've come up with so far is fishcakes.

In this episode Jacques Pepin makes potato and leek soup using potato flakes.  He uses them a lot in soups and even some stews.  They can be used in place of flour and potato starch in a lot of soup and sauce recipes.

(edited)
6 hours ago, Quof said:

I've gotta ask - why do you have " a lot"? 

My [relative redacted] got a case of it for free. (And if it was Idahoan, I wouldn't even be asking - but it's not.)

Thanks for the suggestions! Although I'm not at all familiar with bubble & squeak.

Edited by Trini

Just make them up with lots of butter and cream to make them yummier and use them for cottage pie! There is enough going on in cottage pie for someone to not obsess over the quality of the topping.

Or cauliflower, bacon and potato soup which is what I made yesterday but use the flakes instead. Again if the flakes are offensive the cauliflower will mask them.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Trini said:
22 hours ago, Quof said:

My [relative redacted] got a case of it for free. (And if it was Idahoan, I wouldn't even be asking - but it's not.)

Donate some to a food bank.

• Love 3
On 6/20/2017 at 9:20 AM, larapu2000 said:

I would think croquettes would be a perfect use for that!  Or Bubble & Squeak?

I just love chicken croquettes. Would you have a good recipe for them?  The one I found ( 1974 Betty Crocker Cookbook) is a two day affair with many steps and just looks like too much work for just me. I could make a batch and freeze some tho...

28 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I just love chicken croquettes. Would you have a good recipe for them?  The one I found ( 1974 Betty Crocker Cookbook) is a two day affair with many steps and just looks like too much work for just me. I could make a batch and freeze some tho...

You made me look, because I've always got extra chicken to use. Found about 200 versions. Not sure which one I will settle on, but it will probably be on a relatively simple version. 

• Love 1

Thank you for the clickable link. I went on the Spanish ones (as I had loved them at Tapas places in Spain but the rating stars wouldn't allow me to scroll down the directions. No issues tho as I could basically figure it out from the ingredients. Looked super easy and I think this weekend I'll try them and let you know how it goes. I'm so excited to try them again. I also believe that my grandchildren will love them and may be cooking them for them as well. {So much less work than the BC recipe but I think I'll form them and let them sit in the fridge for awhile before cooking so they hold together well and the flavors (I'll probably add parsley and may try tarragon some time although I know that it's not traditional) infuse to the max}. Best wishes with what version you try. 

• Love 1

Can anyone recommend a good roll-out cookie recipe?

Ideally, simple ingredients, easy, and almost fool proof. I've been roped into baking some cookies with a specific cookie cutter for a baby shower. I have made roll-out cookies before, but I was never quite satisfied with the ones I used. I'd like to make the dough soon so I don't have to worry about it before this weekend.

Thank you!

On 8/24/2017 at 6:23 AM, Athena said:

Can anyone recommend a good roll-out cookie recipe?

Ideally, simple ingredients, easy, and almost fool proof. I've been roped into baking some cookies with a specific cookie cutter for a baby shower. I have made roll-out cookies before, but I was never quite satisfied with the ones I used. I'd like to make the dough soon so I don't have to worry about it before this weekend.

Thank you!

I use this one! I find it easier to roll the dough, shove into the freezer/fridge for a bit before I cut the cookies out.

I have even made successful stamped cookies with this dough and stamp cookies are a special kind of hell for cookie makers! 

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2010/11/christmas-cookies-recipe.html

• Love 1

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! In the end, I went with the recipe @DeLurker mentioned which was an adapted King Arthur Flour recipe. I used the original King Arthur metric measurements. I borrowed time on someone else's KitchenAid for it. The yield was good. I made some big roll out cookies from it. I am not a big fan of rolling out cookies though. The flavour of the cookies is very good and it is a simple recipe. I left them un-iced so they weren't very sweet. Thanks again all!

• Love 2

Hi, brand new here and I'm looking for recipes for easy healthy recipes! My husband and I are beginning our weight loss journey soon and I've never been great at cooking for that so I was going to see if any of you had suggestions!

Hi @mamadani - I'd probably start with eating fresh fruit and vegetables at every meal.  I tend to eat raw cut up vegetables so that usually eliminates the high fat and extra calories of a dip or a salad dressing.  I also eat a lot of salads, but I make my own dressing so I am more conscious about what goes in it and how much of it I use.

Also portion control is really important - I was surprised to find out how skewed my idea of what a serving size should be versus recommended serving size.

I peruse the site onceuponachef frequently for meal ideas.  For me, I find the style of her writing, pictures and explanations really helpful.  I was a decent cook at meals I was familiar with, but I found trying new recipes to be very intimidating.  This site is more chatty in the descriptions and all the recipes have reviews, including questions asked and answered.

Good luck!

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:43 PM, mamadani said:

Hi, brand new here and I'm looking for recipes for easy healthy recipes! My husband and I are beginning our weight loss journey soon and I've never been great at cooking for that so I was going to see if any of you had suggestions!

Check out the Fooducate app - the basic app is free and has good info. And I second lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Portion control is key. Also look for foods high in fiber. I carry a 3 oz. bottle filled with aged balsamic vinegar and use it on salads when eating out - no oil needed.

Good luck!

• Love 1

I'm not much good at recommending healthy recipes, but I recommend getting a good food scale and measuring everything you put on your plate by weight or volume. It's obnoxious, but until you start getting an idea of what an actual serving is -- and sometimes even after -- it really helps.

Yes, read the packaging and see what one serving is. A food scale and measuring cups are essential.

Here's a Weight Watchers recipe I've slightly modified - stir fried shrimp.

For 2 people, I take 1/2 lb. fresh shrimp, mix with olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Roast at 450 degrees until pink - about 3 minutes. Set aside.  Saute sliced zucchini (one medium) in a little olive oil until starting to get softened, Add a 14 oz. can of chopped tomatoes. I use Hunts Fire Roasted. Add some thyme and heat through. Stir in the cooked shrimp. Serve over 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice per person.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1

I'd recommend some good quality spices. The less need for salt.

I'd also recommend taking your healthier cooking journey in baby steps.  It doesn't have to all happen over night. 

Edited by ariel
  • Love 2

I like Eat Yourself Skinny and Skinnytaste blogs.  If you start following a few healthy blogs on social media, others will pop up.  I l like using their slimmed down versions of comfort foods.  I'm not sure which one, but I got a vegetarian chili with lentils recipe that is very tasty and very filling!  I also like Cooking Light Magazine,  they have some really good recipes that don't feel like you're starving yourself. 

I've lost 70 pounds, and I second the portion control advice here, along with finding foods high in protein or fiber that keep YOU full-we're all different. 

I've also found that a heartier breakfast, even if the calorie count seems disproportionate,  results in a less robust appetite at lunch and dinner.  

• Love 4
On 10/18/2017 at 10:15 PM, ariel said:

I'd also recommend taking your healthier cooking journey in baby steps.  It doesn't have to all happen over night. 

Lost 80 pounds here. It takes time and fierce determination. 

Also, Pennzeys.com for great spices. Start with their telicherry black pepper. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Lost 80 pounds here. It takes time and fierce determination. 

Also, Pennzeys.com for great spices. Start with their telicherry black pepper. 

I love Penzeys

• Love 1
On 10/18/2017 at 10:15 PM, ariel said:

I should work for Penzeys!  I'm always recommending their Mural of Flavor.  I put it in soups, stews, marinara, on chops, chicken, steak, so many things.  And there's no salt in it.

• Love 2

Did anybody make any good turkey soups this year?

I made one based loosely on this southwestern turkey soup recipe.  I'd made it last year, with some alterations to the recipe, and then made it again this year with another tweak or two, and now have a final version I really like.  I'm currently eating my final cup of it, which is what prompted me to ask.

Next year, I'm thinking of trying this lemon turkey soup, minus the carrots (I don't like cooked carrots) or this creamy one, but since I'd be leaving out the potatoes (hate them) as well as the carrots, I worry it would be rather thin.

Any you like beyond the standard turkey, noodles, and root vegetables combination?

I often do a lemon turkey soup.   I cook pasta separately and add it just to the portion I'm serving, so it doesn't get soggy in the leftovers.  I sometimes put fresh spinach in the bowl and pour the hot soup over it.  

On 12/6/2017 at 3:15 PM, Bastet said:

Did anybody make any good turkey soups this year?

I made one based loosely on this southwestern turkey soup recipe.  I'd made it last year, with some alterations to the recipe, and then made it again this year with another tweak or two, and now have a final version I really like.  I'm currently eating my final cup of it, which is what prompted me to ask.

It looks good, but I'm wondering what did you do to tweak it? Even before that question, I was going to ask you about the tomatoes. It just implies you dump in a 28 ounce can of whole tomatoes. One would think you'd at least break them up.  

I think I'd tinker with the spices, leaning more towards one of my hotter chili powders over just cumin and cayenne.  

And lastly, what's the deal with dumping in the diced avocado into the soup and cooking it that way for another 15 minutes? I was assuming it's just something you add at the end when serving.

Heh, you hit on some of the many changes I made.  Basically, I loved the list of ingredients, but thought the instructions for putting them together were nuts.

As for spices, I didn't change those; I thought I would wind up wanting to, because I love really spicy food, but they actually combined for the perfect flavor that let the turkey shine through. 

Here's my version:

2 cups shredded cooked turkey (mine was thigh meat)
4 cups turkey stock
1 14-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, quartered
1 onion, chopped
2 gloves garlic, chopped
4 oz. chopped green chiles (I used jalapeño)
1/2 tsp (generously scooped) cayenne
1/2 tsp (generously scooped) cumin
1 T fresh lime juice
1 T chopped cilantro
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 avocado, diced

In a large pot over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic with cayenne and cumin until lightly browned (I used turkey fat, as I had some left, but you could just use oil).

Add tomatoes, chiles, and stock.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.  Add turkey.  Simmer 15 minutes.

Stir in lime juice and cilantro, season to taste with salt & pepper (and add any additional cayenne/cumin needed), and simmer another 15 minutes.

When serving, add avocado and cheese to each cup/bowl.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

It just implies you dump in a 28 ounce can of whole tomatoes. One would think you'd at least break them up.  

My parents used to put the can of whole tomatoes in - mostly so my soup wouldn't be infected with tomatoes.  I had issue with tomato consistency.  Anyway....I don't think it made a difference (to them) if they were cut while cooking or in their own bowls.

Thank you. Cooking the onion and garlic was also on my probable modifications.

I'd definitely go with your version. It would be for me and my son, so I have to figure out what he might object to with the final product. I think the only thing I might see is large chunks of tomato, but that's about it. I can work on that. Everything else I think he shovels into his mouth and asks for more. And this is an excellent way to use up the turkey I froze after Thanksgiving.

The other thing about this recipe is if I ran it through the Weight Watchers calculator, it would tell me it's something I could shovel into my mouth and ask for more depending on what I do with the cheese at the end.

There are very few applications in which I will eat cooked tomato (LOVE them raw, though, but only in season), which is why I only use half the amount called for in the original recipe.  Tomato does go nicely with the other ingredients, so I left it in, but an entire large can just seemed like way too much tomato in what is supposed to be a turkey soup, even if I was more fond of cooked tomatoes.  For me, the smaller can is perfect.

You could always use diced tomatoes if the big chunks would cause hesitation on your son's part.

And, yes, depending on how heavy-handed you get with the cheese, this can be quite a healthy soup.

• Love 3

You anti-tomato people are going to be horrified by my go to comfort food:  elbow macaroni with canned diced tomatoes.  A pinch of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.   If I'm feeling fancy, a little thyme.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Quof said:

You anti-tomato people are going to be horrified by my go to comfort food:  elbow macaroni with canned diced tomatoes.  A pinch of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.   If I'm feeling fancy, a little thyme.  

Yup. Anti cooked chunky tomato person here and you are correct! 

Funny as I can eat it in sauce for pasta or fresh. Not soup. 

On 12/8/2017 at 2:58 PM, Bastet said:

You could always use diced tomatoes if the big chunks would cause hesitation on your son's par

I went with a couple cans of tomatoes with the chilies in them. It was a good choice and I liked the soup a lot. 

Presumably by the time Christmas rolls around, I'll be out of my funk, but right now none of my (myriad) veggie sides are sounding like The One.  I do what seems like a hundred things with Brussels sprouts, broccoli, kale, spinach and other greens, asparagus, etc. but none of them are speaking to me in contemplating the menu right now.

So, I'm looking to spark my interest via a new-to-me twist on the usual ingredients: What are your favorite warm sides based heavily on green vegetables other than green beans or peas (or at least non-root vegetables - they can appear but not be the main ingredient - and when it comes to squashes we like the sweet ones used in moderation only)?  For pairing purposes, which I don't think is all that much an issue, Christmas Eve dinner will have prime rib (or possibly beef tenderloin, but definitely beef) as the main course and Christmas will feature ham.  There will be some sort of greens-based salad with each (thus the request for warm dishes as the veggie side dish), plus a starchy side - probably potato-something with the prime rib and macaroni salad with the ham, but my mom is in charge of those, while I take the salad and veggie side, and I don't think she's decided - so there need not be a huge number of ingredients involved in the dish, as there's plenty else going on in the meals, but it's also not a problem if there are.  How healthy it is also doesn't matter; it's the holidays.

I may very well fall back on some favorites - e.g. a spinach gratin one night, a Brussels sprouts and walnuts dish another - and be quite happy, but I always like getting ideas.

(Also, I prefer to eat seasonally, which can make my yes and no list seem out of touch for this time of year, but I'm in southern CA where I can get a lot of stuff locally - meaning grown locally, not shipped from another hemisphere and sold locally - for a much larger chunk of the year than many, and we are having an incredibly mild winter, so I have a lot of options.  So if you're thinking of recommending something, yet hesitating because, well, that ingredient would taste like shit or have to be shipped from halfway around the globe this time of year, that's not necessarily true; toss it out there and I'll take it from there.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, DeLurker said:

While the title to this is Summer Vegetable Tian, I see no reason why it has to be seasonal (plus you have access to good veggies about year round there).

I don't know if I'll make it for Christmas (although I might, because there are still some squash varieties growing here), but - minus the potatoes - I will definitely make it at some point.  Thanks!

Carrot souffle and Swiss chard/sweet potato gratin are out because I don't like cooked carrots and none of us like sweet potatoes, and the broccoli casserole would be too much for either of the meals because we already have a starchy side.  My best friend would love it, though, so I've sent her the recipe.

And the gratin reminded me I have a yummy chard gratin recipe I haven't made in a while, so perhaps I'll do that instead of the spinach gratin.

12 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I love the creamed spinach at Ruth's Chris - it is probably pretty similar to gratin. 

I've never made it before though - can you make it ahead of time (same day) and heat it up when needed?

Yes you can. The secret to it being extra tasty is a pinch of nutmeg. 

• Love 1

We're big fans of doing a sweet potato and apple grain, similar to this but we sort of wing it and don't have a real recipe. That one is close, but I hate onions so no onions for me. But I suppose if you like them they'd be good.

• Love 1

Speaking of sweet potato and apple gratin, I've been making this since I got the magazine in 1982.  The magazine has the butter at 1 stick, not 6T.  Also, I've never used the chestnuts, just the potatoes and apples.  (And I may have over-measured the rum part...)  I use a 13x9 pyrex pan for this as I take it to the in-laws for dinner.  Love the pyrex that comes with the pan top and hot/cold carrier!   

https://fairshares.org/recipes/rum-glazed-sweet-potato-apple-chestnut-gratin