Type keyword(s) to search

I Need a Recipe!

• Start Topic

Just now, spiderpig said:

Darn you, wings!  It's 4:48am and you have me wanting to run to the kitchen to try this.  Thanks for the instructions!  (the cat says "meh")

Ha ha ha, I just looked to see if I had some clams and I do!  I got myself craving them!  I edited my post to add 2 other ideas as you were posting, too.  It is 5:50 am here.  

Just trim the days calories to accommodate fritters!  The fritter itself is not high, it is the oil and when you think about it you should eat healthy oils everyday so they aren't terribly bad.   I bought an electric skillet for the sole purpose of clam and corn fritters!  I also do tempura vegetables, too, but clams drove the purchase!   Tempura cauliflower, zucchini, carrots and onions are so good!  

• Love 1

I bought a deep fryer recently - still in the box until Mr. pig goes out of town next week so I can practice privately.

I'm always amazed at how chefs on TV go to the fryer without hesitation when faced with time constraints.  It doesn't seem to bother the judges.

We're conditioned to think "fried food bad" when we all know "fried food delicious!"

• Love 3

I try to avoid deep fried foods, so I only get it once a week or so.  ;)

Has anyone tried using avocado oil?  I know that the greenish tint can be a turn off, but I don't think that it would turn your fried chicken or French fries green.  Anyway, avocado oil has a high smoke point, good stability, and it's unsaturated fat, so using it will add fat calories, but it's the good fat.  I'll have to look for some.  It's supposed to get easier to find as it's popularity grows.

Another way to reduce the calories when deep frying is to make sure the oil is fully heated, the food is at room temperature, and don't add too much food at a time.  It's better to cook in batches rather than dump 10 pieces of chicken in the oil and watch the food absorb oil while the fryer gets back up to temperature.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Zahdii said:

I try to avoid deep fried foods, so I only get it once a week or so.  ;)

Has anyone tried using avocado oil?  I know that the greenish tint can be a turn off, but I don't think that it would turn your fried chicken or French fries green.  Anyway, avocado oil has a high smoke point, good stability, and it's unsaturated fat, so using it will add fat calories, but it's the good fat.  I'll have to look for some.  It's supposed to get easier to find as it's popularity grows.

(I'm looking at your emoji, Zahdii!)

I have a bottle of avocado oil, but have used it only for drizzling, like olive oil, over veggies or in stir fry.  Trader Joe's carries 16.9 oz. bottles for around $5.99.

Just checked the label which suggests using pretty much for anything, including dipping oil.

• Love 2

I was gifted an air fryer for Christmas... anyone else have one? Anyone recommend using it for anything other than fries? Because I'm kind of at a loss. I've seen recipes for muffins and stuff but can't imagine why you'd bother with the air fryer when the oven will hold more etc. 

Lisin, I've looked up the air fryers online just recently.  I recommend you look up the reviews for your type of air fryer on Amazon or any other site that isn't associated with the maker of your appliance.  You'll find out the pros and cons and then be able to decide what to do next.

• Love 2

I foolishly signed up to provide the nonsweet snack for my son's class' Valentine's Day party. I think plates and napkins had already been spoken for. Any suggestions?

i have searched Pinterest, but everything I find that says "easy" was clearly not made by mothers who have full-time jobs outside the home (or by mothers who are not very domestic). I found one that said it was a good last-minute snack that involved cutting heart shapes out of watermelon. I don't care if you do use a cookie cutter, that is not last-minute.

Black olives they can put on their fingers.  I always made rice crispy treats.  My son thought it was the only thing I could cook.  Maybe pinwheels with cream cheese and olives, you could cut in the morning or night before if you can get tortillas where you live.  

On pinterest did you see the cute healthy butterfly snacks? A ziploc has a clothespin cinching the middle and one side is filled with grapes and one side is filled with goldfish crackers. The result looks like a butterfly. I don't know how old your child is so this may be too much of a "little" child thing. I've had many people pin it off my board.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

On pinterest did you see the cute healthy butterfly snacks? A ziploc has a clothespin cinching the middle and one side is filled with grapes and one side is filled with goldfish crackers. The result looks like a butterfly. I don't know how old your child is so this may be too much of a "little" child thing. I've had many people pin it off my board.

He's pre-K, so that might be good. He likes butterflies.

The olives would be good except that my son hates olives, and I'd like to take something he will eat himself.

My husband suggested buying this heart mold and making cheesy cornbread. I then thought maybe cheesy biscuits or the Red Lobster biscuit mix.

Edited by auntlada

If you want to see the snacks, just search butterfly snacks and you will see a variety of snacks that folks have put into the butterfly wings. Also, you could paint the clothespin red to put a more Valentine feel to it. Maybe even find red ziplocks so the body is red. Or perhaps search for ladybug ideas since they are reddish. 

P.S. I am sure you will or have done this, but you might check with the teacher regarding any food allergies or dietary restrictions, i.e., nuts, gluten free, etc.

PPS how about popcorn? Put in valentine ziplocks!

Edited by Spunkygal

Oyster cracker snacks?  All you need is a bag of crackers, ranch dressing mix, veg oil and dill weed.  Mix, bake, eat.  You can add other spices like garlic powder, parm cheese, etc., but kids would probably like the basic recipe.

• Love 1

Here is a great vegan recipe to try

Gingery Tamarind Tempeh

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook time: 20 minutes

Total time: 50 minutes

Yield: 2-4 servings

Ingredients:

1 package tempeh, cut into 1-inch cubes

2 tablespoons tamarind paste

1 tablespoon maple syrup

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 teaspoons tomato paste

1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Dash of cayenne

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients except tempeh. Once combined, add tempeh and toss until it is evenly coated in the tamarind mixture. Let marinate for 20 minutes.

3. Once the tempeh has finished marinating, bake for 15-20 minutes, watching carefully to ensure the tempeh doesn’t burn.

^ Agree.  I love all those things.  I love spaghetti squash.  I don't like it with pasta sauce.  It tastes like squash with pasta sauce on it.  Which... fine, but that's not the same as tasting like pasta.  I like to make my squash, even spaghetti squash, like a squash dish and usually savory.  When in season/good, I just eat with a little butter, salt, and pepper.  Yum!

When I was changing my eating habits last year, a few different people suggested using vegetables in place of pasta when I mentioned that pasta was one of things on my no eat list.  

I don't like it. I'm with @aquarian1. I like my vegetables as vegetables. As for pasta, I just learned to eat Giada sized portions. Because the stuff I make is still awesome, but I really don't need to eat a giant cereal bowl full of it. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

It is the bread that always gets me when I have pasta.

So while I was obsessing about counting calories and losing weight, I still made meatballs reasonably often because my son is a big fan, and because I could lighten them up by using leaner meats to the point where they fit fine into my day.  I think I made pasta with them once out of every four times. The other three I would buy a couple of nice rolls for my kids to eat them as meatball hero sandwiches. (No complaints from them.) I would just have the meatballs in a bowl and then enough bread for me soak up the sauce.  

Because Mmm... bread.

• Love 2
(edited)

I used to have a Cinnabon clone recipe that had a box of vanilla pudding mix in the dough, but I cannot find it now.  Does anyone have this recipe?  Haven't found one online that includes it.

Edited by Mittengirl

I just copied this recipe for the Cinnabon clone rolls and wondered if you could taste that pudding in the rolls.  When I've used instant vanilla pudding in other recipes, I could taste something unusual.  Hope not cause this recipe looks good otherwise.

I can't say that I noticed any unusual flavor.  I believe the pudding is supposed to make the rolls soft/tender.  It has been a while since I made them - I was on a sticky bun kick for a time, but never was able to master the "sticky" part, so I am going back to cinnamon rolls.

• Love 1
(edited)

When I've used instant vanilla pudding in other recipes, I could taste something unusual.

I bet that sugar-free instant pudding leaves an aftertaste you wouldn't detect in the "regular" kind.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 2

I used to make pull apart rolls in a tube pan that called for Rhodes frozen rolls, NON instant vanilla pudding, cinnamon, sugar, butter and nuts that you threw into the pan, let rise overnight, and baked in the morning.  It was to die for and no funny taste from the pudding.  I remember they stressed the pudding had to be the kind you cook, though, not instant, have no idea why.  And now I am craving them...

• Love 1
5 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

I used to make pull apart rolls in a tube pan that called for Rhodes frozen rolls, NON instant vanilla pudding, cinnamon, sugar, butter and nuts that you threw into the pan, let rise overnight, and baked in the morning.  It was to die for and no funny taste from the pudding.  I remember they stressed the pudding had to be the kind you cook, though, not instant, have no idea why.  And now I am craving them...

See if you can find the recipe.  Just because...

• Love 3
(edited)

This sounds a lot like what you're describing. 

Although I notice it does say "instant" pudding. There are many similar recipes online; just google "Rhodes frozen rolls vanilla pudding." I also know it as "monkey bread," though I don't know what it has to do with monkeys.

Here is another recipe from the same site that specifies the non-instant pudding.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 1

Not sure if this is the exact recipe, but I'm sure it's close enough. I use a tube (Angel food cake) pan rather than a bundt because that's all I have.  I also use walnuts instead of pecans.  Just delicious and so simple.

PULL APART ROLLS WITH PECANS 

2 dozen frozen bread dough rolls (found in freezer case)
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 tbsp. sugar-cinnamon
1 sm. pkg. vanilla pudding (not instant)
6 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. chopped pecans

Mix vanilla pudding, brown sugar, cinnamon-sugar and frozen rolls together. Grease bundt pan and pour pecans all around bottom. Arrange rolls and brown sugar-pudding mixture evenly around bundt pan. Put pats of butter all over rolls. Cover and let raise overnight. Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Great for breakfast on a cold morning and especially during the holidays

• Love 3

One of my specialty dishes is 3-Cheese Baked Mussels. Here's the ingredients needed and the process but know that I don't measure ingredients. I always just eyeball it.

Ingredients: 

• Mussels
  • Minced Garlic
  • Butter
  • Parmesan
  • Mozzarella
  • Cheddar

Process: 

1. In a large pot, boil the mussels until the shells open. Once opened, drain water and run mussels under cold water. This would make it easier to open the mussels all the way through and remove the half that doesn't have meat. 

2. In a pan, melt butter and sautee minced garlic until the flavor is infused in the butter. 

3. Add about half a teaspoon of the garlic/butter mixture to the mussels (add over the meat).

4. Mix all three cheeses and add  good amount onto the mussels.

5. Pop in the oven until cheese melts and they're golden brown. It won't take long since the mussels are already cooked. 

• Love 2

This is a little out of left field, but has been taunting me for decades. The food at my high school stunk, except for the glorious chocolate chip squares. 

Now, were I to take a standard (Toll House or what have you) recipe and bake it as a bar cookie, it would not come out like these squares. They were super moist and had a great (caramel-y?) flavor.

Does anyone have a recipe for a very moist chocolate chip square?

On 3/1/2017 at 8:38 PM, biakbiak said:

I just got an Instapot and remembered that some people here have one. Any great recipes that people want to share would be great!

My current tried and true is to mix a cup of water with a splash of liquid smoke and cook frozen chicken breasts. It only takes 10 minutes to defrost and mostly cook. I finish them off under the broiler or on my George Foreman.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, auntlada said:

I have some leftover pork loin, potatoes and carrots from the slow cooker, and I am thinking about making a soup. Any suggestions? (I refuse to add corn of any kind to soup.)

I created this soup last night. Upon reviewing the leftovers it needs more broth, otherwise I'm pissed I don't have the appetite or metabolism of teenage boys and can't eat the entire pot at once.

• Love 1

Does anyone have suggestions for a good recipe for pork shoulder? Picnic cut but I can probably use recipes from the other cut. Pulled pork is a contender, but I am also looking at a pork shoulder ragu. We bought a 3.5lb/1.5kg cut so still needs to be trimmed and it includes the bone. Not a lot of meat. We froze it too so I still have time to plan it out. No slow cooker or pressure cooker yet, but do have a smallish dutch oven. 

Thank you!

• Love 1

My Mom makes a wonderful Asian style dish with pork shoulder (or butt).  She puts it in a big pot on the stove top on med-low, adds some soy sauce, some garlic, some ginger, something for a touch of sweetness (she normally uses an apple or orange that is gone a bit past prime, but she also will swap in some jam or honey), a splash of vinegar (apple cider preferably)  and let it go low and slow for a long time.  The meat will be so tender.  As an added bonus for my Dad or brothers, she'll hard boil some eggs, peel them and put them in the juice towards the end.

Mom doesn't use recipes or measurements, so it is hard to copy her recipes.  I probably would not use more than 1/4 - 1/3 cup of soy sauce for a bone in cut of that size.

• Love 2

Anyone got any recipes using dehydrated potato flakes (AKA instant mashed potatoes)? We have... a lot.

The only thing I've come up with so far is fishcakes.