Type keyword(s) to search

I Need a Recipe!

• Start Topic

You can use it in almost any recipe calling for milk or cream so mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, basic white sauce or creamed vegetables.  French toast too!

Can't he just return them to the store?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Quof said:

It's what, 99 cents a can?   Donate it to a food bank if you can't bear to throw it away.

That was my second plan, i just was wondering if their were uses I was missing.

7 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Can't he just return them to the store?

He lost the receipt. 

Ethalfrida, Google offers many recipes for potato chip cake.  Unfortunately, their site wouldn't allow me to copy the URL accurately tonight.  You might find what you're looking for there -- everything from chocolate to the no-bake variety.  Good luck.  

20 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Pumpkin pie.  It's not just for Thanksgiving anymore.

Pumpkin pie is the reason I own Condensed Milk. The boy is a big fan of pie, and if you purchase a pie crust, pumpkin pie is not exactly a difficult thing to make. 

Plus, it let's me use my awesome spices and gives me an excuse to buy whipped cream.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Pumpkin pie is the reason I own Condensed Milk. The boy is a big fan of pie, and if you purchase a pie crust, pumpkin pie is not exactly a difficult thing to make. 

Plus, it let's me use my awesome spices and gives me an excuse to buy whipped cream.

I find the perfect pumpkin pie to whipped cream ratio to be 1:1.

• Love 6

I promised my husband a French chocolate pie next, but my grandmother's pumpkin pie won't leave my mind now!

That marshmallow crème fudge is my favorite by far.  So good!  I try to save it for Christmastime because it disappears so fast.

On 4/15/2018 at 11:28 PM, biakbiak said:

Ao my boyfirend accidentally bought evaporated milk instead of sweetened condensed milk and becaise it was 2 for 1 I know habe four cans, does anyome have any good recipes to use them in?

Add sugar to evaporated milk and you'll get sweetened condensed milk.

Toasted marshmallow no churn ice cream. I toast the marshmallows on both sides. I use a recipe similar to the one below, but I use evaporated milk (I find it too sweet when sweetened condensed milk is used) and double it. One can of evaporated milk goes into the mixer with the whipped cream. The other is blended with 2/3 of the toasted marshmallows. Then mix them together. The last 1/3 of the marshmallows are stirred into the ice cream to give the finished ice cream some marshmallow pockets.

https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/toasted-marshmallow-ice-cream/

Slow cooker mac and cheese uses evaporated milk.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/crockpot-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe-2107509

• Love 1

I would so much like to have the New York Times recipe for Cheese Danish.  The Times is now requiring a sign-in to its cooking section, and I can't stand to be on one more mailing list.  Would anyone happen to have this recipe already?  Thanks!

@Lura, I hope this is it

Cheese Danish from NYT

INGREDIENTS

8 ounces/226 grams cream cheese

1 ¼ cup/160 grams confectioners’ sugar

1 large egg yolk

Pinch of salt

½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 batch Danish dough (see recipe below)

1 large egg, lightly beaten

2 tablespoons/30 milliliters whole milk

PREPARATION

In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, 1/4 cup/32 grams confectioners’ sugar, the egg yolk, the salt and the vanilla until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a resealable plastic bag; set aside.

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a 12 1/2-inch square. Trim 1/4 inch off each edge. Cut the dough into nine 4-inch squares. Brush the corners of each square with a bit of the beaten egg, then fold each corner into the center and press down gently. Transfer the squares to 2 parchment-lined baking sheets.

Cut the tip off one corner of the filled plastic bag so you have a 1/2-inch hole. Use the bag to pipe the cheese filling onto the center of each dough square. Loosely cover the pastries with plastic wrap and let stand until slightly puffed, about 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes. Heat oven to 425 degrees.

Remove the plastic and gently brush the top and sides of the dough with the beaten egg. Bake for 10 minutes, then rotate the sheets and reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees. Continue to bake until pastries are puffed and deep golden brown, another 6 to 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining 1 cup/128 grams confectioners’ sugar and the milk. Let the Danish cool slightly on the sheet then drizzle with the glaze. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Danish Dough

INGREDIENTS

1 ½ cups/6 3/4 ounces/192 grams bread flour, plus more for the work surface and the rolling pin

2 tablespoons/24 grams granulated sugar

2 teaspoons/6 grams active dry yeast

¾ teaspoon/3 grams kosher salt

14 tablespoons/198 grams cold, unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks), roughly cubed

1 large egg

¼ cup/60 milliliters cold whole milk

PREPARATION

Combine the flour, granulated sugar, yeast and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and pulse to combine. The butter should be the size of small marbles and peas. Transfer this mixture to a medium bowl.

In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and 2 tablespoons/30 milliliters water.

Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Using a rubber spatula, fold the mixture until it is evenly moistened. Turn the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a small rectangle, and wrap well. Chill for at least 3 hours, and up to 2 days.

On a lightly floured surface, using a floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to an 8-by-15-inch rectangle. With a short side facing you, fold the dough in thirds like a letter, bringing the top third of the dough down, then folding the bottom third up. Use a bench scraper to help lift and fold the dough if necessary. At this point, the dough will be rough and shaggy with visible butter pieces; as you roll and fold the dough it will come together. Rotate the dough 90 degrees. Repeat the rolling and folding process, then rotate the dough once more and roll and fold again. As you work, dust the work surface, your hands and the rolling pin with flour as necessary. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Repeat the entire rolling and folding process one more time for a grand total of six turns. If the dough starts to fight you and become difficult to roll at any point, just pop it in the fridge for an extra rest. Wrap the dough and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.

Tip

If you are using this dough to make the pear and almond Danish braid, add 1 teaspoon/2 grams coarsely ground fresh cardamom to step 1, along with the flour, sugar, yeast and salt.

On 4/15/2018 at 11:28 PM, biakbiak said:

Ao my boyfirend accidentally bought evaporated milk instead of sweetened condensed milk and becaise it was 2 for 1 I know habe four cans, does anyome have any good recipes to use them in?

If you like mac and cheese, this is a great option!  Stovetop mac and cheese

You could double it and use the whole can.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:19 AM, MargeGunderson said:

Cheese Danish from NYT

I am thrilled that you've shared this recipe, Marge, because I didn't expect that anyone had it.  Can't thank you enough!  Ina has a shortcut recipe for them, but they don't taste quite like the bakery version.  Great for baking at the last minute, especially if you have guests for breakfast or brunch, but I wanted a good recipe for the real thing.  You've provided it.  Too bad you don't live next door -- I'd share a batch with you.  Many thanks!

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Hero said:

I need a dessert recipe to bring to a work potluck. Does anyone have any easy and quick, but delicious recipes? Thank you!

The bakery at your supermarket. :-}

ETA: I was at a potluck lunch this week and someone asked if there was carrot cake on the dessert table. There wasn't, but my supermarket bakery always has one, and people seem to like it.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 2

Not sure what it is called, but the ingredients are:

Pound cake sliced or individual sponge cake shells

Vanilla pudding

Fresh fruit

~~~~

Slice pound cake to line a casserole/baking dish in a single layer

Add vanilla pudding over

Top with fresh fruit - blueberries, raspberries, sliced strawberries...

~~~~

I've used pound cake from the bakery and Sara Lee frozen in the past.  You could also get the individual sponge cake shells.

I usually do a couple of different fruits - they look pretty.

I make the pudding in advance (just instant), but don't assemble it until the last minute because I don't like even slightly mushy cake.  I'm pretty sure that is only a problem for me, since pound cake is pretty dense.

12 hours ago, Hero said:

I need a dessert recipe to bring to a work potluck. Does anyone have any easy and quick, but delicious recipes? Thank you!

For our neighborhood block parties I’ll take these. I buy small the Phillo dough cups premade in the freezer section , I’ll then fill each one with lemon curd (can be bought premade by the jellies and jams, fillup the cups and then top with a blueberry or raspberry. Quick (done in 15 minutes), easy and look nice on a platter. If you want to get fancy you can always add a small mint leaf or make some homemade meringue (top each meringue with a small pinch of sugar) and then put under the broiler just until slightly brown. 

Dont make these until they are about ready to go. The Phillo dough can get soggy if they sit too long. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Clarification
17 hours ago, Hero said:

Because @DeLurker suggested a pound cake trifle, I thought a bunch of ways to dress up a pound cake might be helpful.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/packages/weekend-cooking/10-things-to-make-with-store-bought-pound-cake

https://www.womansday.com/food-recipes/food-drinks/a4725/10-ways-store-bought-poundcake-104247/

https://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2016/06/03/6-ways-dress-pound-cake/

https://iwashyoudry.com/super-easy-tagalong-pound-cake/ the only change I'd make to this recipe is substitute chocolate for candy melts. Candy melts don't taste like anything near real chocolate.

A semifreddo might be another thing you could bring too.

https://www.marthastewart.com/952636/lemon-raspberry-semifreddo

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 1

Making (or buying) a pound cake and adding a glaze with fresh berries (if they're in season already in your area) is my suggestion - easy, tasty, and appeals to most palates (in terms of flavor, and also that it's not wildly unhealthy).

• Love 3

Just google Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding.  Super easy, fast,  and benefits from a few hours where the Nilla wafers can get nice and cakey.   It's the best recipe I've tried for banana pudding,  anyways. 

I've started my efforts at making chili.  I'm a spice/heat wuss so I've just used a basic chili powder blend in modest doses.

Some of the chili I've had when I've eaten at restaurants have started pretty mild, but the heat builds.  Anyone know how that effect is achieved?  I'm assuming they are using something other than the blandest chili powder out there, but I have no idea how one achieves such a thing.

I figure if I can make a chili like that, I can mute the heat in mine with sour cream, but my guests who prefer a spicier dish still gets that.

Any direction that can be provided would be apprecated!

(edited)
26 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

Some of the chili I've had when I've eaten at restaurants have started pretty mild, but the heat builds.  Any

Don't use a premade blend but rather use varying amounts of different chilis. For example use a tablespoon of a mild pepper like ancho, than a teaspoon or two of something hotter chipolte and than 1/4 to 1/2 of something even hotter like cayenne. Those are just some basic examples amd you can play around with the type of chilis you use and the amounts.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I also use fresh Jalapeños. When picking them out at the store try to choose ones that have a more rounded bottom. The pointier the hotter. Then then cutting them up, remove all the seeds and the thin white membrane on the inside. That’s where the most powerful heat comes from. Just make sure that you wash your hands immediately after handling. I liked @biakbiak‘s combination of dry spices but I would add some cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and paprika as well. My friends also like a little cardamom added but it’s a matter of individual taste. You can make a mix in a small container, try it out and if you like it just return to it as your go to. If it’s too weak you can add to your homemade spice mix for the next time. I hope yours comes out well. 

• Love 2
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I liked @biakbiak‘s combination of dry spices but I would add some cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and paprika as well.

Oh yes! Completely. Sorry if I wasn’t clear I was just speaking to the specific question how you get the depth and building of heat not all the spices necessary for a chili!

In addition to some of the spices you mentioned I also frequently add cocoa or espresso, and add fresh jalapeños at three different times during the process. One when sweating the aromatics (onion and garlic, finely diced cilantro stems, fresh chili’s and bell peppers), some when adding the stock and then to top it all off when serving.

Also, I don’t care about people insisting what is and isn’t chili, I make several different varieties (all meat, meat and beans, bean only, chicken, pork, ground meats, chunks of meat etc.) 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Oh yes! Completely. Sorry if I wasn’t clear I was just speaking to the specific question how you get the depth and building of heat not all the spices necessary for a chili! 

I think between both of us she’ll be able to make a mix that will be a good starting point. 

@DeLurker Don’t forget that you can always put a bottle of hot sauce on the table. (I like Texas Pete’s and Tabasco or you can suggest that they bring their own favorite along. Same thing with extra jalapeños or poblanos (they’re a little less heat than jalapeños). 

When is this dinner? Is there an extra seat at the table?

• Love 2

No specific planned get-together yet - I decided to try to make it first until I am satisfied with the outcome (rare for me - my extended family knows I use them as guinea pigs on my experimental cooking efforts).  My niece's husband has offered to help me design and build a pergola for my backyard when I was talking about buying one of the more expensive ones at Home Depot/Lowes.  He's a nice guy, but this is the first time to my knowledge he has ever offered to help anyone in our side of the family do anything and they've been married about 9 years.  He even said he would make his brother come help if we need more labor.

So...he loves chili.  I figured that if I could make some in advance it would be a good filling meal when we need a break.  And when everything is complete, I can invite them all back for a proper meal.

In any event, thank you both for your pointing me in the right direction!  I know people take their chili very seriously and I'm in Texas, so the recipe is treated with an unusual gravitas.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I know people take their chili very seriously and I'm in Texas, so the recipe is treated with an unusual gravitas.

So you'd get run out of town on a rail if you added beans?

(I don't eat chili, so I have no dog in this race, but I know the "there are no beans in chili!" folks are quite serious about it.)

• Love 2

@DeLurker I like to use the normal grocery store "chili powder" and then I also add some chipotle chilis and their adobo sauce, smoked paprika, a good amount of cumin, worchestershire sauce, cayenne pepper and some dashes of Tabasco sauce. I'm also from Texas. It's very serious business... but I also do like it with black beans which would get me thrown out of the house if I made it that way when I was home! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lisin said:

@DeLurker I like to use the normal grocery store "chili powder" and then I also add some chipotle chilis and their adobo sauce, smoked paprika, a good amount of cumin, worchestershire sauce, cayenne pepper and some dashes of Tabasco sauce. I'm also from Texas. It's very serious business... but I also do like it with black beans which would get me thrown out of the house if I made it that way when I was home! 

Let's keep this between us or I may get thrown out, but in addition to black beans, sometimes I may add a just a tad of cinnamon and/or a bit of brewed coffee. For me, it adds an extra complexity.

• Love 4
On 1/15/2018 at 9:13 PM, Fairfax said:

The recipe is here.   You can use the same amount of fresh tomatoes with their juices instead of canned -- you can use salted butter & omit adding salt.  I don't discard the onion -- I save half of it for something else, & puree the other half in the blender with the tomatoes after everything is cooked.  When I use the completed sauce later for meatballs or spaghetti, etc., I add garlic & basil &/or oregano to taste at that time.  It is the best tomato sauce ever. 

I tried this last night for dinner - I liked it a lot!  I ended up pureeing the onion in the bass-o-matic and put it back in with the rest of the sauce.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, DeLurker said:

pureeing the onion in the bass-o-matic

Another SNL fan. I loved those fake commercials that Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi used to do. Reading your post gave me an unexpected laugh at the memory. Doggie downers and puppy uppers...just classic. 

• Love 2
On 5/19/2018 at 10:08 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Another SNL fan. I loved those fake commercials that Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi used to do. Reading your post gave me an unexpected laugh at the memory. Doggie downers and puppy uppers...just classic. 

Loved the  Bass-o-Matic but Dan Aykroyd as Julia Child will be forever in my heart.

• Love 5

Dan Aykroyd and Phil Hartman were the "glue" as they say, that kept the entire show together.  They could do any character so easily (or, it looked easy...probably tough to accomplish).  I'm going to refer to my new blender (the one for smoothies) as a Bass-o-Matic from now on.

• Love 4
(edited)

Aw, Phil Hartman. I loved that guy. 

Yummly suggested a bunch of things to do with my spiralizer. I might try one this week. 

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 1

Anyone cook with jackfruit?  I've only recently heard about it as being a good meat substitute and am looking for some recipe ideas for our family get-togethers that would work for both the vegetarians and carnivores.

If one of you would be willing to entertain my newbie questions or can point me in the direction of a good site, it would be most appreciated.

• Love 1