Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Heart Beat

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

I agree with you, Preeya.

I did not care about Bailey's problem at all.  She is a stupid POS for lying to John, and no amount of whining will change my mind.  Also, in most states, although it is harder you can get a divorce without your spouse's cooperation if you observe certain filing periods and deadlines and document it. Otherwise, a spouse would be able to make you stay in a marriage against your will simply by refusing to answer. Therefore,  Bailey's explanation about why she didn't get divorced made no sense. I hate Bailey and her simpering "poor me" BS.  HATE. Go away, Bailey.

I like Lyla's boyfriend and Wesley as friends.  Would love to see any combination of them plus Angela and Nyla.

I want to know why Ashley would call Lucy about Tim's dog.  I know that Lucy had him first, but it seems like a covenient plot device to drag Lucy into their relationship.  I get the feeling that Lucy is headed for something with the prosecutor who came over to bother her about his cases.

• Love 8

I'm very suspicious of Tim's new girlfriend. They showed him typing in his security code a couple times, showed the dog barking at her and she's asking if the dog's dangerous and getting tips on how to manage him? A potential burglary maybe? Though I don't see what Tim would have as valuables at home. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, nittany cougar said:

Also, in most states, although it is harder you can get a divorce without your spouse's cooperation if you observe certain filing periods and deadlines and document it

Speaking from experience in California, it’s really not that hard. If one spouse wants a divorce and the other spouse wants to stay married, that’s considered “irreconcilable differences,” and the judge will grant the divorce.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, nittany cougar said:

I want to know why Ashley would call Lucy about Tim's dog.  I know that Lucy had him first, but it seems like a covenient plot device to drag Lucy into their relationship. 

More like Lucy being nosy and inserting herself in Tim's personal life (again). She also had contacted Isabel that one time to talk about Tim's studying technics to help him.

11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Speaking from experience in California, it’s really not that hard. If one spouse wants a divorce and the other spouse wants to stay married, that’s considered “irreconcilable differences,” and the judge will grant the divorce.  

Bailey and her husband don't have any children so it couldn't be that hard in the first place. I know a country where you can have a divorce finalized after one months (again, if you don't have kids).

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

I agree with you, Preeya.

I did not care about Bailey's problem at all.  She is a stupid POS for lying to John, and no amount of whining will change my mind.  Also, in most states, although it is harder you can get a divorce without your spouse's cooperation if you observe certain filing periods and deadlines and document it. Otherwise, a spouse would be able to make you stay in a marriage against your will simply by refusing to answer. Therefore,  Bailey's explanation about why she didn't get divorced made no sense. I hate Bailey and her simpering "poor me" BS.  HATE. Go away, Bailey.

They did explain this though.  Bailey said he would always wait until the very last minute to respond and then he'd respond with a whole new set of demands.  Then the whole process would start over again.

I don't mind the whole Bailey is married story line but did they really have to make the husband a psychopath?  Just give it one or two episodes and wrap it up.  Now it seems like we're going to get way too many episodes on this.

Also, what happened to the new rookie?  He seems to have disappeared.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Similar experience in CA, though my soon to be ex didn't fight it. My brother divorced his ex without her being even in the picture, there was a bit of rigamarole to do it, but he didn't have to stay married to her. 

15 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

I don't mind the whole Bailey is married story line but did they really have to make the husband a psychopath?  Just give it one or two episodes and wrap it up.  Now it seems like we're going to get way too many episodes on this.

Yeah, the socio/psychopath husband is a bit much. But the actor did do a great job of switching from genial to subtly angry after Bailey let him have it.

I was wondering the same about the new rookie. For a second I thought the booking cop was him - but he was an actor I recognized from the 4400.

There was something in the way they shot Nathan's closeups that was particularly flattering this episode, or maybe angry and mildly threatening Nathan is hotter than happy Nathan. In any case, be still my heart.

• Love 5

If Wesley’s license was suspended he would not be able to practice in any form during that time. He could volunteer with that charity, but not be able to give any legal advice. He could get into further trouble with the State Bar if he does so. 

Edited by Angeleyes
  • Useful 5
  • Love 5

Nolan and Bailey still have no chemistry at all. 
At one point I hoped she would go back to her hubby, but they made him a psychopath abuser of the worst kind and not even Bailey deserves him. Hopefully superhero Nolan will take care of him and send him back to jail to join the Nolan-club among   the two serial killers.
Seriously now, this kind of abusers are the worst and honestly I am not sure they deserve any kind of mercy. The moment they get out free they will do the same. 

1 hour ago, KeithJ said:

As long as we won't see his back shot into a car trunk, he is ok. I guess....

So, it is really so easy to frame someone by putting drugs to his/her car and then tip the police.
Wouldn't  be pretty easy for a DA to check that Bailey is not a user and has no extra income from illegal activities? 
(btw how the psycho hubby found this quantity of coke? he gaslighted a drug dealer to give it to him for free?)

Edited by Zaffy
  • Love 9

I think psychopath husband should kill Bailey so as to give Nolan a reason not to date for a long while.  I'm not sure I could handle the blaming-self grieving process that would ensue. 

Also, how dumb is Nolan to alert a psychopath that he's being watched? 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

If Wesley’s license was suspended he would not be able to practice in any form during that time. He could volunteer with that charity, but not be able to give any legal advice. He could get into further trouble with the State Bar if he does so. 

This made me side-eye the epi more than the other plots.  You've been suspended for six months from practicing law and yet, there you are giving out free legal advice.  Come on folks.

I'm hoping the Bailey and her nutty husband will be wrapped up fairly soon.  Talk about TPTB not reading the room right.  The last thing (at least most of us on this blog wants) is more Bailey drama.

The Lucy thing, yeah, they are still trying to insert her into Tim's love life but now they are bringing in this guy from the DA's office to potentially be her love interest?  How is that supposed to go?  Is Tim supposed to get jealous?  I can't see TPTB letting Tim and Lucy have separate love life's as it seems they've been so hell bent on this "will they, won't they" with the two of them.  It would be nice but I don't trust this show.

And yes, the plane crash, okay show.  I'll buy that they focused on capturing the escapee but with this show you never know...

2 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

Also, how dumb is Nolan to alert a psychopath that he's being watched? 

As dumb as anyone else on any other TV/Movie because old tropes die hard...

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

That bugged, but I wasn't sure if unpaid advice counted. But it makes sense that it does.

And apparently the Department of Corrections doesn't care to investigate escaped felons. Yeah, the warden and guards were bribed, but once it was known, the higher ups should certainly have been in on this chase.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

angry and mildly threatening Nathan is hotter than happy Nathan. In any case, be still my heart.

Seriously. Hee.
I almost wonder if the whole plot arc spanning several episodes was constructed for the purpose of filming that brief scene.

1 hour ago, crowceilidh said:

I think psychopath husband should kill Bailey so as to give Nolan a reason not to date for a long while. 

When Bailey was wandering around her creaky house with the baseball bat, in my mind's eye I saw a flashing sign worded "BONANZA CARTRIGHT BOYS' GIRLFRIEND DEATH ALERT," heh.

But more likely Nolan will heroically save her, and then she'll have to go into witness protection or leave town for some other reason so Nolan's love life can get the Lather--Rinse--Repeat treatment.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

the warden and guards were bribed, but once it was known, the higher ups should certainly have been in on this

Did I miss something, or did they drop like a hot potato the reveal of the bribed warden and guards?
Or maybe Nolan will have to heroically deal with them in the next episode. 
I loathe undercover-cop-in-prison plots about as much as I detest damsel-in-distress plots.

• Fire 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

This.  So much this.  I was screaming at him dishing out legal advice, referring to himself as on the kid's "legal team."  He can volunteer washing dishes, helping with homework, and playing ball etc. all the live-long day.  But he opens his mouth to give legal advice beyond "you should contact a lawyer, here's a good guy to call" then he's in big trouble.  It is almost like he wants to be disbarred.  Oh.  Oh....  I had a thought.  Here's a plot bunny for the writers:  Wesley does get disbarred, claims he never really wanted to be a lawyer anyways, it was all family pressure.  What he really wanted to do with his life was...........wait for it..........to be a cop.  So then we get a new Rookie!

I did like Wesley with Nyla's boyfriend.  That's a good pairing, a good bromance.  I also like that Nyla leapt at the chance to go have pizza with Angela and 'da boyz.  I like that Angela and Nyla are friends too, they have a lot in common, and Nyla can give Angela a lot of detective advice.

2 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

I think psychopath husband should kill Bailey so as to give Nolan a reason not to date for a long while.  I'm not sure I could handle the blaming-self grieving process that would ensue.

OR....  Bailey kills psychopath husband herself, realizes she screwed up because it wasn't heat-of-the-moment self defense, but a provable calculated and planned assassination, and goes on the lam and totally ghosts Nolan.  Or totally burns Nolan, like she used his duty weapon or something, so he's not left all angsty. 

I don't want to be the person who always hates the main characters love interests because of some sort of crush or displaced "but I'm the only one!!!" Mary Sue fantasy, but Bailey is all kinds of wrong.  No chemistry, but even there were chemistry, her character just feels.....off.  She is totally unbelievable as a firefighter.  At the plane crash, she just looked like a kid playing dress up.  Hair flopping all over her overly large bunker coat made her look more like an accident victim keeping warm in a borrowed fireman's coat.  She looks even more ridiculous in a helmet.  (I know plenty of petite female firefighters.  None of them look ridiculous in their bunker gear.  Just sayin'.)  And it takes more than a concerned frown at a fire or accident scene for the actress to make us believe she even has a clue about what it takes to be a firefighter in such a situation. 

I did love cocky Lucy setting hard-charging new prosecutor in his place.  I did not love that the kid made her eat her words later on when he was arrested again for armed robbery and perhaps homicide.  I thought the rookie* prosecutor was waaaaay overstepping his bounds when he rushed in with his original officious and pompous accusations.  Which was why I liked Lucy setting him back.  I could only imagine if he'd come on hard like that to Angela or Tim.  There would still be a sticky spot on the floor.  The thing is, he didn't really know the history of the arresting/releasing cop so was risking a lot.  Prosecutors have to work with cops, they have to earn trust.  Coming on strong like that is not going to earn that prosecutor a lot of support from the troops.

*  OK.  Another plot bunny hit me.  I know we've talked about how can they continue to call this show "The Rookie" when Nolan et al are out of the training phase now.  So.....I was thinking.  Maybe the overarching theme of the show is turning into everybody in this ensemble cast is new at something, so they're all rookies at something to some extent.  Bradford is a rookie sergeant.  Angela is a rookie detective.  Nyla is a rookie training officer.  Lucy is a rookie beat cop.  Aaron/Amanda Knox rookie is the traditional rookie.  Wesley is going to be a rookie at whatever he's going to be new at because surely he's going to get disbarred.  If you kind of turn your head sideways and look at the show like that, it makes a little sense.  Or maybe I need to go back to drinking hot buttered rums and stop philosophizing about quirky procedural TV shows.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
21 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Or maybe I need to go back to drinking hot buttered rums and stop philosophizing about quirky procedural TV shows.

I live 15 miles from the oldest rum distillery in the world (1703). Can you guess which of your options I recommend?

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

I live 15 miles from the oldest rum distillery in the world (1703). Can you guess which of your options I recommend?

OMG.  Mount Gay Rum is my go-to rum.  When I go to a specialty liquor store, I can sometimes be lucky enough to get some of the good stuff.  My regular supply is the standard Eclipse, not the XO or better.  I was once in the Caribbean on vacation long, long, ago and managed to score a fancy bottle of Mount Gay Sugarcane Brandy.  OMG.  You are a lucky, lucky, man.  I once got into a friendly argument with a visiting Jamaican engineer over Mount Gay vs Appleton.  Out of local loyalty, he had to stick with the Jamaican brand, but admitted to me that Mount Gay was quite excellent, and we agreed that good rum was to be valued, no matter the origin.

But....why is the rum gone?  😆

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

When Bailey was wandering around her creaky house with the baseball bat, in my mind's eye I saw a flashing sign worded "BONANZA CARTRIGHT BOYS' GIRLFRIEND DEATH ALERT," heh.

Forgot about that and it bugged me when I watched it.  You open the door to your house and see lights on that you didn't leave on or even put up but because she's Super Bailey, she goes into the house anyway.  I don't care that she grabbed the bat that could have gone side ways in so many ways.  The same with the car that wouldn't start.  She calls Nolan and problems or not, why not ask for help with your car when you are alone with seemingly no one around who could offer assistance or maybe he would have offered to drive her home and walk her to the door?  Also, where is her car parked that there would be no one from her station around?  Firehouses are generally 24/7 affairs so I find it hard to believe no one was around especially since (I at least was thinking her "husband" did something to the car).  But instead she goes off alone and then chews out the husband in front of witnesses making her look like a crazy woman setting up the frame with the drugs...  Also since I noticed Sharif Atkins as one of the arresting officers, I wonder if he's tied up with the husband some how?

• Love 9
45 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

Forgot about that and it bugged me when I watched it.  You open the door to your house and see lights on that you didn't leave on or even put up but because she's Super Bailey, she goes into the house anyway.  I don't care that she grabbed the bat that could have gone side ways in so many ways.  The same with the car that wouldn't start.  She calls Nolan and problems or not, why not ask for help with your car when you are alone with seemingly no one around who could offer assistance or maybe he would have offered to drive her home and walk her to the door?  Also, where is her car parked that there would be no one from her station around?  Firehouses are generally 24/7 affairs so I find it hard to believe no one was around especially since (I at least was thinking her "husband" did something to the car).  But instead she goes off alone and then chews out the husband in front of witnesses making her look like a crazy woman setting up the frame with the drugs...  Also since I noticed Sharif Atkins as one of the arresting officers, I wonder if he's tied up with the husband some how?

Like I said previously, please end this Bailey B.S.

[PLEASE WRITERS]

• LOL 3
5 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Mount Gay Rum is my go-to rum.

Let me start by telling you that I don't drink any more, and haven't done so for years. But I must have drunk a literal tun of rum before I stopped drinking. And I still rub shoulders with many friends who still drink rum.

When I was about 4-5 years old, my dad would come home from work and have two (2) run & Sodas before dinner. I would sit on the arm of his chair and steal sips from his glass. But that was only tiny sips, not significant, even to a kid of five. I guess I started drinking in social circumstances, when I was about 14 or 15. 

At that time, the go-to rum available off the shelf was Mount Gay Eclipse. Sure, you could get Sugar Cane Brandy, but that was a rum that was priced to match it's quality, and not the first choice of the average rum drinker, because it was pricey. Other brands and blends were available, but Eclipse was the best favoured by the average Joe.  I drank a lot of Eclipse in my time, as did all the guys and girls in my generation.

Thing to understand about rum is that the blend changes over time. This is because they can only lay down so many casks in a year to age for some specified number of years. There is only so much space in the rum bonds. If a blend becomes popular, they will eventually run out of one of the constituents of the blend. They will subtly alter the blend to use different batches of rum of different ages, but it doesn't always work out, and the blend can suffer. You will then see that a new rum may come on the market. Soon it is in ascendancy while the previous favourite goes into decline. Prior to quitting, I used to drink Cockspur rum. Not the standard five year old offering, but the Old Gold. You paid a little more, but it was well worth it. If you wanted really good stuff you paid even more and got the Cockspur VSOR (Very Special Old Reserve).

As the years passed, Cockspur rum went in to decline and other rums made it to the top. Old Brigand was and still is a good rum, and Eclipse has had a resurgence. All my mates are drinking Eclipse, now. But you can still get premium blends of Mount Gay, Cockspur and Old Brigand rums that are very good, and when folks decide to splurge, any of the premium blends of these rums are good enough to please most rum drinkers.

Of course, the best rum is not for sale. Very small quantities of very special blends are made for the distillers themselves to enjoy. I've been told that the Ward family who used to run Mount Gay Distilleries had a special reserve served in the family home only. You would have to befriend the family, visit them at home and hope to be offered a drink of it. And if you ever wanted to be asked back again, you would have to make sure that you never made any profane mention of water or any other mixer. Or ice, for that matter. 

Appleton in Jamaica, Fernandes in Trinidad (Vat 19) and Demerara Distillers in Guyana (El Dorado), as well as distillers in some of the small islands, all make excellent premium rums as well. Just not as good as we Bajans! :)

There is some crap rum made here as well. Some years back, the manufacture of a horrible Californian coconut rum <shudder!> was move here so they could capitalize on the good reputation of the local rums. It's called Malibu but we local folks refer to it as Suntan Lotion.

I'd offer to send you a bottle of rum, but the fact is, it would be quite difficult to do so. There are licences that must be obtained, and the rum allowed for export is not the same stuff as we get over the counter here. This is because of regulations in the destination country as well as regulations here. Sorry about that. You will just have to come visit.

By the way, I should mention that the rum I always drank and so too most of the people I mix with even today, is not white rum. It's a dark rum, what we used to jokingly call "Dark Shadows" (for reasons unknown, after a silly soap-opera TV show about a vampire that once showed here.) Most rum drinkers consider white rum as something you use to sterilize cuts and de-grease engines with.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

Yuup - I was thinking he should've at least had a sign saying "I AM NOT A LAWYER!" I could also see him doing something like helping people fill out legal forms, giving them tips on representing themselves pro se, etc. but he can't go "I AM PART OF THIS BOY'S LEGAL TEAM" like holy crap

Also, I don't know why every character was like "OMG IT IS SO UNFAIR THAT HE IS SUSPENDED FOR 6 MONTHS" - he's damn lucky to only get a 6 month suspension.

can we please have Bailey go to a farm upstate already

please

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 1/3/2022 at 6:09 AM, gerdialiaVA said:

I'm very suspicious of Tim's new girlfriend. They showed him typing in his security code a couple times, showed the dog barking at her and she's asking if the dog's dangerous and getting tips on how to manage him? A potential burglary maybe? Though I don't see what Tim would have as valuables at home. 

I was thinking the same thing.  The fact that they did a close up shot both times Tim typed in the security code makes me think that the new girlfriend is going to break into his house and the dog can sense that she's up to no good.  Either that or it was just really bad product placement for the security company.  

Also, did something get messed up with the airing schedule?  Because there were a ton of Christmas decorations up this episode. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

The fact that they did a close up shot both times Tim typed in the security code makes me think that the new girlfriend is going to break into his house and the dog can sense that she's up to no good.

Her dad is Old Cop... and she is casing the house of the only cop that gave him a proper send-off??? The writers are dumb, but not THAT dumb

• Love 7
1 hour ago, paigow said:

Her dad is Old Cop... and she is casing the house of the only cop that gave him a proper send-off??? The writers are dumb, but not THAT dumb

Hmm, maybe she'll end up being a stalker and her arc will end with her holding Tim hostage in his own house, only to have Lucy save him?  

Also, am I the only one who was hoping that it was going to turn out to be Bailey who was the crazy one and that she had framed her ex and now that he was out, was framing him again so that Nolan would take care of him for her?  

• Love 3

I thought maybe the twist would be that the dog was being triggered by Tim entering the security code rather than dislike for the girlfriend.  In any case, I had a lot of sympathy for her, as I was attacked by a dog as a child.  I thought her concerns were perfectly valid.  I'm rather ambivalent towards dogs, and I probably would have ended the relationship.  Not because of him being a dog owner, but because of his indifference about her fear.  Tim ain't the only hot guy in L.A, and they haven't been dating that long.      

I understood why Nolan wanted some space from Bailey to process, as she should have told him.  The way this show writes about abusive relationships is very odd.  Yes, they provided contact info at the end of the episode (and apparently only this episode), but it's still strange.  

Agreed with others in wondering where the actual rookie is.  Maybe it's covid-protocol related?  

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 6

There is something up with Tim’s security code and dog. That dog better be still alive at Seasons Finale!!

Bailey is an idiot. I was yelling at her to just back up, and get the heck out of that house. Baseball bat or not, if you think someone has been in your house that means you harm you do NOT go in!

And I don't buy the whole Bailey bas-add build up for weeks, to find her past life as intimidated by her ex.  Not saying it can't happen to anyone, just seems the writing wasn't going in that direction at all.  Also not buying the crocodile tears with John.    They've been dating for months now, she had plenty of chances to come clean.  I just don't like them together, he needs to find someone more stable.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I was thinking the same thing.  The fact that they did a close up shot both times Tim typed in the security code makes me think that the new girlfriend is going to break into his house and the dog can sense that she's up to no good.  Either that or it was just really bad product placement for the security company.  

Also, did something get messed up with the airing schedule?  Because there were a ton of Christmas decorations up this episode. 

tbh I was just thinking it was crappy advertising for ADT

I think something got messed up with the air schedule - maybe it was scheduled to film after the Rust shooting, and they had to get new prop guns, train people in them, etc. so things got delayed?

• Love 2
9 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I thought maybe the twist would be that the dog was being triggered by Tim entering the security code rather than dislike for the girlfriend. 

8 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

There is something up with Tim’s security code and dog.

It sure looked that way to me.

4 hours ago, bros402 said:

tbh I was just thinking it was crappy advertising for ADT

I didn't notice ADT logos, but even if it was advertising, these days they often work the required product placement into the plot—–heh, sometimes in a way that is not flattering to the advertiser's product, which I love to see happen. Sorry I cannot recall a specific example, but this might be one.

9 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

In any case, I had a lot of sympathy for her, as I was attacked by a dog as a child.  I thought her concerns were perfectly valid.  I'm rather ambivalent towards dogs, and I probably would have ended the relationship.  Not because of him being a dog owner, but because of his indifference about her fear. 

I was thinking the same👆 with regards to the dog angrily barking at the girlfriend and Tim just telling her to be chill. 😒
The resolution was a bit of a PSA on how to deal with a dog that hates your lover, but IRL it should have been Tim calling Lucy for advice on dealing with her guard dog, not his terrified girlfriend having to call the dog's former owner.
Lucy did get the dog for protection after being kidnapped, right? Or am I just making that up because it seems to fit?

Anyway, I guess the girlfriend calling Lucy about the dog will figure into some further plot point (since this is at least a 2-parter), whether it being just Lucy and Tim's gf as bffs, or maybe Tim's gf uses the security code for evil purposes and then Lucy can feel guilty about telling them how to get the dog to accept Tim's gf when the dog was just trying to tell Tim via barks: Dude! Don't put in the security code in front of this person I am barking at!
And, now that I think about it. I'm guessing the gf never had a dog bite her in the past and will wind up saying as much at some point--probably after her evil plot is revealed.

Edited by shapeshifter
10 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Baseball bat or not, if you think someone has been in your house that means you harm you do NOT go in!

So, what? You abandon all your possessions and look for a new place to live?

11 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Baseball bat or not, if you think someone has been in your house that means you harm you do NOT go in!

40 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

So, what? You abandon all your possessions and look for a new place to live?

Not in most cases—–although, yes, women with husbands like Bailey’s do often find that to be the best means of survival is to "abandon all of your possession and look for a new place to live."
But generally in a situation like Bailey’s (signs and sounds of an intruder) you call 911 from the driveway/curb and be ready to take pictures of the invader if they flee.

IDK. Bailey With The Bat seems pretty standard for TV drama (and even more on TV comedy), but in real life? Only if I was in an area of the home with no way of escape without encountering the intruder, and even then, a barricaded door would be the first line of defense.

But then again, on Rizzoli and Isles (which was similar in tone to The Rookie regarding amounts of comedy sprinkled into the drama) Bailey's house would have been set on fire if she barricaded herself into a room—–which is just another reason:

11 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
On 1/3/2022 at 9:31 AM, Clanstarling said:

That bugged, but I wasn't sure if unpaid advice counted. But it makes sense that it does.

And apparently the Department of Corrections doesn't care to investigate escaped felons. Yeah, the warden and guards were bribed, but once it was known, the higher ups should certainly have been in on this chase.

I'm going to be that guy. They said he was a federal prisoner. I guess since California didn't have prisons in L.A. County while the fed's did that often happens on shows. It is the federal Bureau of Prisons, not Department of Corrections  and Tommy Lee Jones should have landed with his Deputy Marshals to check every out house and dog house.

12 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Agreed with others in wondering where the actual rookie is.  Maybe it's covid-protocol related?  

It has been a few episodes though. Beyond what the current quarantine times are calling for. The hope is maybe the actor was just busy on another job.

Or they were just cutting cost just as they have the Sergeant and what plays this week like his little sister Lucy riding together and when in the suburbs calling for backup it comes from Mid-Wilshire  and not from Whittier.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But generally in a situation like Bailey’s (signs and sounds of an intruder) you call 911 from the driveway/curb and be ready to take pictures of the invader if they flee.

Last person I know who called the cops waited two days for them to show up.

But even if we accept that you should call the cops in a "Defunct The Police" world, didn't she call Nolan? And completely fail to mention the reason for the call? Even if Nolan was angry at her for personal reasons, surely he's professional enough to come to her aid? And if not, isn't there an extensive cast of friends and colleagues for him to call and ask them to take it on? Or couldn't she have called one directly?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

IRL it should have been Tim calling Lucy for advice on dealing with her guard dog, not his terrified girlfriend having to call the dog's former owner.
Lucy did get the dog for protection after being kidnapped, right? Or am I just making that up because it seems to fit?

It's not a guard dog, just a shelter rescue dog. Lucy get the dog for comfort after her kidnapping and couldn't handle it properly, so Tim, who is amazing with dogs, took the dog in.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Raja said:

I'm going to be that guy. They said he was a federal prisoner. I guess since California didn't have prisons in L.A. County while the fed's did that often happens on shows. It is the federal Bureau of Prisons, not Department of Corrections  and Tommy Lee Jones should have landed with his Deputy Marshals to check every out house and dog house.

I said the DOC because I wasn't sure he was a federal prisoner. I did have Tommy Lee Jones in my head though. 😄

All these Bailey scenes featuring her at work make me think that the producers are trying to setup a backdoor pilot for a spinoff show around her.  I honestly wish they would go that route because the character is taking away from the other core characters (Lopez and Harper) along with the new recruit (Thorsen).  And I would drop all together any future romantic storylines involving Nolan.  NF struck gold on Castle but that was a long time ago.  None of his romances on the Rookie have been interesting or made me want to root for them. That says something if every single potential pairing for Nolan has fallen flat.  IMO of course.  If they want to write a romance with obstacles that I can root for, let them continue writing the Chenford romance. 

• Love 3

Not only I have to put up with Bailey the character and Bailey the actress who took so much of screen time away from the other regulars, now I have to put up with Bailey’s real-life husband too⁉️

Ugh! 😩

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

That says something if every single potential pairing for Nolan has fallen flat.

They've made really weird choices for casting his love interests, in that once they dropped Lucy (rightfully so, of course), they went with an actor who was clearly never going to become a recurring character (Sarah Shahi), then an actor who left the show for her own show before kind of getting canceled (Ali Larter) and now Dewan, who is also JUST prominent of an actor enough that they can't have her just be a recurring love interest. Just cast someone less famous that can be a recurring character and possibly eventually be made a cast member, like they did with Wesley. 

It's so funny how people were all, "Man, Bailey is way too good at EVERYTHING" and the show's response is to first make her kind of a terrible girlfriend by not telling John about her ex (I mean, obviously this was something they just came up with, but it just so doesn't make ANY sense with what we've seen from Bailey that she would keep such a huge secret like this from John) and then making her into basically a damsel-in-distress.

It's like they said, "Hmmm...we see your criticisms...so...how about a complete 180?"

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

It's so funny how people were all, "Man, Bailey is way too good at EVERYTHING" and the show's response is to first make her kind of a terrible girlfriend by not telling John about her ex (I mean, obviously this was something they just came up with, but it just so doesn't make ANY sense with what we've seen from Bailey that she would keep such a huge secret like this from John) and then making her into basically a damsel-in-distress.

It's like they said, "Hmmm...we see your criticisms...so...how about a complete 180?"

Bailey's a firefighter and ex-military, yet they've turned her into a simpering dope. Her character would be interesting if she were realistic (imperfect) without being a "damsel in distress."

I'm not sure any of the show's writers knows how to create a decent love interest.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

the show's response is to first make her kind of a terrible girlfriend by not telling John about her ex

You know, when I get a new girlfriend, my first conversational gambit is not the details of previous relationships I've had. Especially difficult and painful ones that I'm trying to forget myself! They will come out naturally, over the passage of time, with the troublesome relationships surfacing last.

Now, obviously she should have mentioned that she was already married when he proposed to her. She shouldn't have simply accepted his proposal just like that. She should have told him they needed to talk before getting engaged, and explained her circumstances during that talk.

But didn't he spring that proposal on her? How much time did she have in which to come clean? Yes, she should never have accepted his proposal while still encumbered with a husband already. But I don't think there is anything wrong with being his girlfriend without mentioning it.

(Why am I defending her when I would be quite pleased to see her ugly face written out of the show entirely? And why all these relationship problems for everyone when the answer is simple: Get a puppy!)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Tragic backstory (especially regarding abuse and said abuse being kept secret) combined with a female character being great at everything ever and also incredibly attractive is what makes female character a Mary Sue.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2