Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Out, Okay?!

• Start Topic

Good lord, this one of the funniest episodes they ever did. Molly was killing me.

At this point, I think Issa should just concentrate on herself in the end. I believe she loves both of them and they love her. It doesn't mean they belong together. 

Take Molly and Dro. Previously, Molly probably would have been all in her thoughts once she found out Dro got a divorce. They also had a real friendship beforehand. That doesn't mean they should give it another go. The time has passed. She's happy. Just roll with it. 

• Love 8

Again with Lawrence and Issa. Pls enough is enough they tried. I like Nathan way better too. Not that fighting is the answer but of course he’s gonna be mad when he walks in on Issa’s ex proclaiming his love for her. Everyone staring all freaked out at the end. Like nothing major happened chill. Maybe I just hang out with too much dramatic ppl I’m used to stuff like that lol.

I actually do like Taurean and Molly together. I thought it might be forced but it’s working for me. I love how on tv tho everyone just starts instantly banging and has an orgasm like right away lol.

I never really cared about the one friend so I don’t really care she’s moving away. I’m actually blanking on her name right now lol.

I hope Issa tells Lawrence no thanks because too much has happened they shouldn’t be a couple imo.

When Molly and her guy were going crazy on the food it really annoyed me. No one acts like that and food was just falling out of their mouth. I had to FF lol.

• Love 7

Why did I think Taurean was holding an engagement ring box? Edibles, huh. 🤔

I was not fond of Tiffany's dress.

Eels are an endangered species. Learn something new every day.

Lawrence and Nathan getting all kinds of hostile with BBQ subtext, lol.

OMG, high AF Molly and Taurean scarfing down the appetizers like they hadn't eaten in a month. And then having sex in Tiffany's parents' pantry! Nasty. 😒

TMW half the world went, "Awww, shit, Lawrence." Timing, m.f.-er. Look into it. And stop taking advice from Chad.

I bet Nathan is done with Issa now because he'll think she wants Lawrence back. He's...wait for it...insecure! 😏 But I won't care as long as Issa doesn't go back to Lawrence.

• Love 7

Jesus Lawrence is tired and lame and now you done baby momma'd somebody. Please just go away.

Any episode with Chad AND Kelly at the forefront gets an automatic 5 stars from me no matter what else happens.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Marley said:

When Molly and her guy were going crazy on the food it really annoyed me. No one acts like that and food was just falling out of their mouth. I had to FF lol.

Agreed.

At least something happened this episode. That's something. I gotta say though, the whole "characters eat edibles and hijinks ensue" schtick  feels lazy to me at this point.

52 minutes ago, Boofish said:

Any episode with Chad AND Kelly at the forefront gets an automatic 5 stars from me no matter what else happens.

I won't give the episode 5 stars, but Kelly and Chad get 5 stars from me every time.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Why did I think Taurean was holding an engagement ring box? Edibles, huh. 🤔

I was not fond of Tiffany's dress.

Neither was I. I liked the print, but the hips were too much. I don't mind her being fashion forward, but that was not the event for it. 

I thought it was odd that Taurean brought edibles to the party. It's not as if he met Tiffany & Co. before and had that familiarity with them. You bringing drugs to an event with people you're just meeting? Bruh. Bring wine next time.

It's a shame that we had to sift through all these filler episodes only for the plot to move forward in the penultimate episode. Issa and Lawrence fit better, but just because they're better suited, it doesn't mean that he's good for her. They're both in better places, and I wouldn't be upset at them rebuilding a friendship, but I don't know about getting back together. 

20 hours ago, Marley said:

I actually do like Taurean and Molly together. I thought it might be forced but it’s working for me. I love how on tv tho everyone just starts instantly banging and has an orgasm like right away lol.

LOL, right. Unrelated, but it's a house goal of mine to have a walk-in pantry. 

Edited by Sheenieb
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, rlc said:

So, Issa’s gonna pull a Kelly Taylor, right?

It’s feeling that way.  I don’t think we’ll get a traditional happily ever after for Issa.   She’s not over Lawrence.   So her choosing Nathan now doesn’t feel right.    But her picking Lawrence after pushing the Nathan into saying “I love you” is a bad look too.   

Glad to see Chad again.  He had Lawrence pegged about him just letting life happen to him, rather than fighting for he wants.   Also loved him being mad he didn’t get a personal shout out at the party.

• Love 8

I loved how Issa and Nathan both went off on the rental agent. There were a lot of funny lines this episode.

27 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Glad to see Chad again.  He had Lawrence pegged about him just letting life happen to him, rather than fighting for he wants.  

He did. Could be a residual effect of his depression (speaking from experience), but Lawrence does kind of drift through life. It’s good that he’s fighting for SOMETHING, although as Issa said, I don’t think it’ll matter here. I think Issa will end up single.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, After7Only said:

He had Lawrence pegged about him just letting life happen to him, rather than fighting for he wants.

To a certain point, sure, but I was on Lawrence's side here.  "Fighting" for someone who has chosen to end things with you is futile. Either you have not listened to your partner's complaints and are trying to pull an insincere, last minute "I'll change."  Or the situation is out of your control (basic incompatibility or partner doesn't love you anymore) and you're not respecting their decision which, in Issa's case, was clearly considered.

They broke up because Issa didn't want to stick around while Lawrence had a baby with Condola.  She never said what about that situation bothered her--was it that it'd be messy?  was she afraid that Lawrence would redevelop feelings for Condola*? was she jealous that someone else was having his kid?  But it was the baby and, at that point, Lawrence could do anything to change it.

*I initially thought she did it because she was afraid it was going to be messy but given how she has assumed that he and Condola are together, I'm starting to think fear they'd fall back in love is a bigger factor than I thought it'd be.

And Lawrence has moved to LA to be closer to his kid--and presumably find another job.  I do think he's more proactive. I will not fault him for "letting life happen to him" for things he doesn't really get a say in.  He didn't really get a say whether or not Condola would have the baby once she accidentally got pregnant.  And he didn't really get a say when Issa broke up with him.  A breakup isn't a two vote system.

I do agree that it feels like there's a lot of stuff that needs to be covered which I think will be hard to do in one episode.  The series wasted a lot of time this season.  I wish it had more time jumps. 

And I was not amused with Molly and Taurean on edibles and eating all the food.  Not cool.  But I do want mac n' cheese balls now.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 7

It seems like when things get messy at all for Lawrence and Issa they don't work out.  At some point they need to acknowledge they are unlikely to make it long-term and would be better off finding someone else.  While I don't think Nanceford is the one for Issa, I also don't think she should end up with Lawrence.  It would almost feel like the on-going trope of the woman should go with whichever man wants her most; that is, men know what women need more than women know themselves. Yes, they broke up over Condola being pregnant, but also over what Chad rightly called out, Lawrence lets life happen to him.  He is finally being more of an active player in his own life.  How long will that last?  Also, Lawrence was moving to SF and just deciding it could work.  Issa could see the complexities there.  

Also does Lawrence have a new job in LA, is he living there on weekends only, working remotely and occasionally going to the SF office . . . what is the story? 

And yeah, I love Chad as a character.  He always brings the funny.  Who would take life advice from him?  Especially given what others have pointed out - time and place.  Let Issa know you'd like to talk to her or meet for coffee or something.  Do not declare undying love.  All he needs is a boombox so he can stand outside her bedroom window blasting In Your Eyes, only in this case, Nathan will be in her bed too. 

I like Taurean and Molly together.  I get that he does check of all of her checklist boxes.  At the same time, they seem to work. He can understand and appreciate her work self and also seems to really enjoy her non-work self.  She has grown considerably and is being more open while still being a very strong person.   Taurean is also being better in the way he approaches her.  He shows her more respect now. 

I would love if there was a ten minutes with Chad and Kelly show going forward.  Just throw one or both of them into a situation so we can get their take on it. 

• Love 5

This episode was Hella funny!

Ahhh... A Tiffany and Derek party.  In the fine tradition of this group, an over the top T&D party is just the place for stuff to get messy.  Remember in S2, Derek's birthday where Lawrence brought Aparna and called Issa a Hoe?  And Molly had to sit with Dro and his wife.  Also it is the one where Dro and Molly have sex in the bathroom of the restaurant with his wife still sitting at the table?

And then there was S3 baby shower where Molly found out Dro and his wife were pregnant.  And Lawrence showed up again after being MIA for most of the season.

So yeah this did not disappoint.  Tiffany and her Dr. Seuss dress and her toast that basically told us she read a travel brochure about Denver.

The Men's convo was hysterical.  And so awkward.  And so hysterical.  Chad is always welcome and I see he brought his Seal Team muscles along with him. Ahmal's face during the whole convo.  LOL. And then Nathan's friend ready to throw hands just at the mention of Lawrence being shady about barbecue.

The needle scratch with the women when Condola walked into the room was also very awkward.  But it was a sad reminder that Issa and Condola had a good working relationship before Lawrence.

I like high Molly and Taurean.  Yeah the eating scene was over the top, but a good mac & cheese ball is no joke!

I am over Lawrence and Nathan.  But mostly Lawrence.  This was not the place or the time and it was also pretty damned disrespectful of her relationship with Nathan. 

I really do hope Issa pulls a Kelly Taylor.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Ahhh... A Tiffany and Derek party.  In the fine tradition of this group, an over the top T&D party is just the place for stuff to get messy.  Remember in S2, Derek's birthday where Lawrence brought Aparna and called Issa a Hoe?  And Molly had to sit with Dro and his wife.  Also it is the one where Dro and Molly have sex in the bathroom of the restaurant with his wife still sitting at the table?

And then there was S3 baby shower where Molly found out Dro and his wife were pregnant.  And Lawrence showed up again after being MIA for most of the season.

If I were Derek and Tiffany's other friends, I'd almost look forward to the drama that erupts whenever Lawrence and Issa are both there.

First of all, Nathan is too short to be able to win a fistfight with Lawrence. His swings looked absurd. I thought it was interesting that even though Issa make an initial effort to comfort Nathan, she didn't really go after either guy once the fight way broken up. It's hard to root for either love interest.

As for Molly and Taurean, while I agree with whoever said last week that Taurean doesn't really show growth for Molly (except in that she's much less tightly wound than she was in previous seasons), I will say that the show is making a reasonable case for the two of them anyway. While the "stoned people get the munchies" story line was cliché, I did love stoned Taurean trying to order barbecue on Postmates while Lawrence and Nathan had their passive-aggressive LA barbecue argument.

Boo to having Ahmal there and not having him and Kelli exchange dialogue. At least we got Chad—although I want to echo everyone who said that Lawrence should really know better than to listen to him by now.

As much as we're sick of Nathan vs. Lawrence, the best way to make them both look better is by having Dro there. Another point in favor of the Molly/Taurean ship is the way they totally shut down whatever fuckery Dro was aiming for by having Molly lay out their messy history for Taurean and then Taurean taking it in stride. Notice how quickly Dro fled the scene once that happened. Good riddance.

• Love 14

I think it will be best for Issa to be by herself for now, but I prefer Lawrence to Nathan. (I did not get the Daniel love and don't really get the Nathan love. I will make sure I close the door tight on my way out.) I am not a fan of Taurean either but I see he works for Molly. So, I am glad she is finally making headway toward a healthy relationship.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Empress1 said:

I never saw Daniel as a viable option for last guy standing.

Neither did I.  He is very attractive, but I never saw a fully functioning relationship there.  

With Nathan, Issa seems to be going down a path of what she thinks she is supposed to be doing at this age rather than what makes sense in their relationship. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

That was definitely the funniest episode of the season, thank you Chad for being you. I am rather annoyed that its taken them this long to make real progress, so much of this season has felt like filler, we just keep going back and fourth between Nathan and Lawrence. Neither of them are who I want for Issa's endgame, I think she's more into Lawrence but that ship has sailed, I hope we end up with Issa realizing that she doesn't need anyone right now. With Nathan, it feels like she is just with him because she wants to be with him and is hitting these millstones because its what she's "supposed" to do at her age, which is unfair to both of them. They shouldn't be together just because they want to be with someone. 

I thought it was sad when Condo came in while the ladies were all laughing and it got awkward, she and Issa really were friends before she got pregnant. At least they had a nice talk that we actually got to see this time, although it seemed like it mostly happened so that Issa could get the go ahead to be with Lawrence, which is where I think we might be heading. 

Molly and Taurean and their high hijinks was cliché, but it did get some laughs out of me. I like Molly and Taurean, they seem like they have a real shot, and I am thrilled that they shut down any Dro drama right away. Stuffing all of that food into their mouths was gross, but to be fair, those cheese balls are delicious... 

3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

So yeah this did not disappoint.  Tiffany and her Dr. Seuss dress and her toast that basically told us she read a travel brochure about Denver.

"Denver, which has five professional sports teams..."

• Love 7

I never thought of Daniel as a viable option for Issa.  I always felt he was first an itch she needed to scratch and then a port in a storm in her time of need.  And I thought they ended badly...if I am remembering correctly. 

I really liked the Nathan/Issa energy in season 3.  I thought he and Issa had such an easy relationship that felt effortless and fun.  But then he ghosted her.  And the show has never been able to recapture that with those two and it feels like it has been trying it this season but just can't do it under the weight of everything else.  Also, maybe because the show is telegraphing how much Issa still wants Lawrence, when in S3 Lawrence wasn't around.  Jay Ellis didn't even show up until the last 4 episodes of that season.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

They shouldn't be together just because they want to be with someone. 

I think ol' Nanceford is more into Issa than Issa is into him and always has been. When she went back to Lawrence, he said that messed him up. When he told her he loved her, he said he always had. I think Issa wants to be with someone (I have known a LOT of women who are like "wait, I'm in my early 30s, I gotta lock something down!") and Nathan wants to be with Issa specifically. It's not fair to him to be Issa's consolation prize.

18 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I thought he and Issa had such an easy relationship that felt effortless and fun.  But then he ghosted her.  And the show has never been able to recapture that with those two and it feels like it has been trying it this season but just can't do it under the weight of everything else.

Coachella Nathan and Issa, I could definitely get behind. They did seem to have an easy, fun time together. Same with them walking around LA all day. I haven't gotten that vibe since.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I loved how Issa and Nathan both went off on the rental agent. There were a lot of funny lines this episode.

He did. Could be a residual effect of his depression (speaking from experience), but Lawrence does kind of drift through life. It’s good that he’s fighting for SOMETHING, although as Issa said, I don’t think it’ll matter here. I think Issa will end up single.

13 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Neither was I. I liked the print, but the hips were too much. I don't mind her being fashion forward, but that was not the event for it. 

I thought it was odd that Taurean brought edibles to the party. It's not as if he met Tiffany & Co. before and had that familiarity with them. You bringing drugs to an event with people you're just meeting? Bruh. Bring wine next time.

It's a shame that we had to sift through all these filler episodes only for the plot to move forward in the penultimate episode. Issa and Lawrence fit better, but just because they're better suited, it doesn't mean that he's good for her. They're both in better places, and I wouldn't be upset at them rebuilding a friendship, but I don't know about getting back together. 

LOL, right. Unrelated, but it's a house goal of mine to have a walk-in pantry. 

I hated Tiffany’s dress. I almost felt like it was a fuck you to the actress from the costume department.

My mother makes fun of me for not having a walk in pantry.

I hated that Chad’s (who I love) stupid advice is the only thing that spurred Lawrence to act at exactly the wrong time. He is the most passive character…ever.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Boofish said:

Jesus Lawrence is tired and lame and now you done baby momma'd somebody. Please just go away.

But Chad is the one who told Lawrence to fight.

But they made a big scene in front of everyone.  They’re in their mid 30s, not early 20s.

Yeah not a good place for Lawrence to take his shot but it did seem like Issa was shutting him down.

Whosever house that was, huge backyard in a nice neighborhood.  Must be worth at least $5 million.  All the catering with serving staff too.  Why are they leaving for Denver again?

I thought it might be Lawrence at the end but if she’s looking for places with the dude, she’s pot committed.  Otherwise she’s going to be messing him up if the week after they’ve been looking at places she’s all “I changed my mind, don’t want to be with you.”

18 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And Lawrence has moved to LA to be closer to his kid--and presumably find another job. 

This is something that has bothered me about Lawrence for a while; his job instability. I've suspected for a while that if Issa gets back with him, she'll end up back where she started with Lawrence unemployed and sitting on her couch. At first, he wanted to start his own tech company. Great. Then, he said he just wanted to work at a tech company, so he gets a good job at one. Good. Now,  he's unemployed again, presumably because he wants to be closer to his son.....but I don't know. With Lawrence, I suspect he would have found another reason (i.e excuse) sooner rather than later. He just strikes me as someone who is afraid of success.

19 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Yeah. I don't even know much about Taurean, but it felt out-of-character for him. It was much like Molly wilding out at the company retreat felt out of character for her (at least it did to me). Most of this season has felt exceptionally low effort, like the writers have just been passing time. Instead of coming up with something knew, they decided to repeat some edibles shenanigans. It just felt so low effort to me. I didn't appreciate it.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

Now,  he's unemployed again, presumably because he wants to be closer to his son.....but I don't know.

I’m not sure we know Lawrence’s job situation. He’s talking about a new place so I assumed he was working. 

9 hours ago, aghst said:

Why are they leaving for Denver again?

Derek got a job there, and she said their money would go further there. Probably true, but Denver is more expensive than I thought (my best friend lives there).

• Love 3

I think we are supposed to assume that Lawrence is in high demand no matter where he goes and his money is right. 

Lawrence can’t live without Issa but does not say anything until prompted by Chad to do so…at exactly the wrong time and moment.

Also, what was Lawrence supposed to say? You can and should not force someone to be step parent against their will.

Issa does not want that role and Lawrence will have to now on make his son the priority for the rest of his life.

The home is owned by Tiffany’s parents. Tiffany and Derek have a nice home on their own but it is not near as extravagant.

Kelly is the friend that all the aunties and mamas love.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, aghst said:

Whosever house that was, huge backyard in a nice neighborhood.  Must be worth at least $5 million.  All the catering with serving staff too.  Why are they leaving for Denver again?

Yeah I was trying to figure out where that pantry having house was supposed to be. Lol That large backyard was ridiculous. There are houses in Beverly Hills with smaller backyards. Haha View Park and West Adams are traditionally black neighborhoods in la with beautiful large old homes that could potentially have a pantry like that but that yard though.

No one was complaining about driving out the valley or to the inland empire so I am just befuddled. Will need to rewatch but it looked like a Hancock park/Brentwood spot. It’s supposed to be Tiffany’s parents, right? Do we know anything about them? I was thinking about this the whole show. Lol

• Love 1

I'm just here for the Kelly not inviting Issa to the group chat with her mom and Chad's "You bout to be a fraction.." remarks 🤣

Edited by Eri
  • Love 3
On 12/21/2021 at 6:21 AM, LydiaMoon1 said:

Most of this season has felt exceptionally low effort

Agreed. I'd have rather kept up with Quoia.

In no other season of this show have I had to remind myself on Tuesday to watch Sunday's episode, but that's where I am. I still love this show so I'll be tuning in for next week's finale. But I don't really feel invested anymore in what happens; it's very much "let's just see what they're gonna do." I'm ready to wind this up and wait on a good fic writer to give me the season we deserved.

• Love 3

On 12/21/2021 at 7:21 AM, LydiaMoon1 said:

Yeah. I don't even know much about Taurean, but it felt out-of-character for him. 

Soooo this!  One of the things I thought we knew about Taurean is how very, very image conscious he has been, especially as a black male in white law firms.  That has also required him to have awareness of social situations, and I think that he would have known ahead of time that this party was not at all the place for edibles.  Plus it was really weird how they had him say that the box was trash...it didn't flow at all with anything.  

On the petty side, from what I remember, his suits at work and whatever he wore on the retreat, were always nice-fitting.  But his jacket at the party looked way too big, and made him look like a kid in his dad's jacket, especially compared to Dro.

ETA: Also, I was not aware that pot acted like truth serum!  Molly's verbal diarrhea to Taurean about the prior situation with Dro, was also weird.

On 12/20/2021 at 1:43 AM, Marley said:

They were shown taking just one edible, and suddenly they had the appetite (and manners) of NFL football players.   It seemed more like a scene from a teenagers-get-high movie, where such OTT food antics would have been funny and in character.  

Edited by LuvMyShows
  • Love 6