Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E09: Paul Rudd / Clip Show

• Start Topic

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10324749/Saturday-Night-Live-CANCELS-live-audience-limits-cast-crew-set-COVID-19-outbreak.html

here’s a link to what I posted above, with more detail. Some cast tested positive, some don’t want to come due to omicron,  and again, no audience. Which has to be done for safety, but makes me sad because I love  Paul Rudd. I don’t know if we will even see many cameos as traditionally for the Christmas show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Remember when we were all astonished that Colin was the only one not wearing a mask during the Goodnights? 

I have no facts, just speculation, but maybe he’s the kind that refused to wear a mask everywhere, since he didn’t wear it indoors on the SNL stage when everyone else did. 

So I can’t directly blame him, not knowing his life, but now Colin has COVID-19 , some others do, and Lorne does. Which worries me because he’s older.

This is my favorite SNL of the year, and I miss it when they always went ice-skating at 30 Rock, but I agree. It may be better to show a rerun and keep Rudd for when a live show is safer.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Arkay said:

but now Colin has COVID-19

source, please. from what i’ve read, a number of cast members have pulled out because of concerns (the man does have a brand new baby), but haven’t seen any reports naming who tested positive. also read that tina fey may sub for weekend update.

• Love 3

If I read that right, Keenan was the only one staying on.  Unless they have a ton of clips in the can, I can't see how they can do a show.  Maybe if Fallon drops by they can do a half hour of WU and call it a night. 

I also hate clickbait false headlines like that.  Talks for her to host = true.  Fey to sub = lie and speculation.  It's the fackin NYP so no surprise I reckon.

Edited by JZL
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

source, please. from what i’ve read, a number of cast members have pulled out because of concerns (the man does have a brand new baby), but haven’t seen any reports naming who tested positive. also read that tina fey may sub for weekend update.

Yes, I posted a link to the source hours ago. From the Daily Mail, and it specifically mentions Colin Jost and Lorne Michaels have tested positive. Then it says “two other cast members.” But Colin is positive according to the article link I posted previously, if you scroll up.

3 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Damn. I hope everyone stays safe and those infected recover quickly.

I was so looking forward to a 5 Timers Club sketch.

There have been rumors going around about who would have cameoed (no point saying them as they  are just rumors) - I get the feeling this episode would have used as something of a "we're back" moment in terms of  cameos and such, especially since almost all of Paul Rudd's episodes have been full of cameos. Only to be reminded that some things are not changing anytime soon.

It kind of sucks for Paul, but at least they have a very reliable host for whatever he is actually going to be doing. And it will certainly be one of the most memorable five timer episodes.

This article goes into a bit more detail and also suggests Tina won't be co-anchoring Update:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/saturday-night-live-omicron-paul-redd-charli-xcx-1235137830/

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Arkay said:
3 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

Yes, I posted a link to the source hours ago. From the Daily Mail, and it specifically mentions Colin Jost and Lorne Michaels have tested positive. Then it says “two other cast members.” But Colin is positive according to the article link I posted previously, if you scroll up.

thanks, i missed that. though none of the online sources i saw mentioned who had tested positie.

• Love 1

Did anyone else see the "previously recorded" thing at the bottom of the screen?  Hmmmmmmm

ETA:  Which now makes sense because it seems it is all previously recorded.  Ah well.

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I have no doubt it was the right decision to send everybody home.

I'm sorta amazed they have anything to air.

If social media is anything to go by, this was super last minute. They were still going to have a show as of, what, 8 hours ago?

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Arkay said:

Remember when we were all astonished that Colin was the only one not wearing a mask during the Goodnights?

I think that was one week and he was doing something specific during the credits.  I am pretty sure he's usually wearing one. 

I was so looking forward to Paul Rudd hosting and I hope they can bring him back. 

It's pretty impressive for them to throw this together so fast.  They must be frantically editing to make sure the timing works.

I do wonder whether they're going to start holding some of the skits that don't make it to air just in case they have to cancel in the future.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 7

Paul Rudd is going to be owed such a do over. I know this is no one’s fault but they should have stuck with full reruns instead of iinserting a new clip that truthfully, isn’t funny.

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 6

I love Tom Hanks.  What a treasure.  Nice of him to be there to give Paul his 5-timers jacket.

I hope whomever has tested positive amongst cast and crew has a quick, uneventful recovery.

My own company just made the call to send us all back into the office full time after the first of the year (after pushing back return dates multiple times), so it doesn’t make me feel great that things have gotten so much worse on such a visible, national scale.  This is so grim.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, vb68 said:

An Evening with Pete Davidson was really good.

I didn't get that at all. Do I need to rewatch?  But I did like the "I want grandkids" pre-tape.

They just advertised American Auto after SNL which makes me think that this show is going to run 30 minutes short because I'm pretty sure that wasn't planned. 

• Love 4

Damn, the Pete Davidson future bit was dreary.

6 hours ago, mtlchick said:

They are better off showing a rerun at this point. 

Network obligations?

4 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

Also read that tina fey may sub for weekend update.

4 hours ago, juno said:

Possibly the greatest silver lining of all time.

Now I’m hoping the first new show has Colin and Michael swapping jokes . . . a belated Christmas present exchange. Also, a great way for Michael to get Colin killed.

6 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

I love Tom Hanks.  What a treasure.  Nice of him to be there to give Paul his 5-timers jacket.

Who doesn’t like the guy?

Naught elves sketch. Just . . . damn.

4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

They just advertised American Auto after SNL which makes me think that this show is going to run 30 minutes short because I'm pretty sure that wasn't planned. 

I was wondering if that was a local thing, but I guess not.  I was confused about a show after SNL that's not First Look. 

• Love 3

The Pete Davidson sketch made me happy, because I think it was two years ago, maybe the Christmas show, in which he was despondent and writing that he didn’t want to live anymore.

And now here he is, the celebrity of the show and able to goof on it.  So that’s at least one good thing.

Please Lorne, give Paul Rudd a do-over.

Lots of commercials but I suppose that was inevitable. They really had to come up with a Plan B very quickly.

• Love 12

I don’t think I had ever seen that Global Warming Special sketch from 1990.  Prescient and super dark, but Tom Hanks as Dean Martin and Victoria Jackson as Sally Struthers are especially funny.

Modern-day Tom Hanks looks especially good tonight.  Has he lost weight and maybe had a little maintenance work done?  His face looked more youthful than the last time I saw him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

The HomeGoods ad was really terrible, and that sucks because Aidy/Kate sketches usually are my favorites.  They have a wonderful chemistry and love getting delightfully weird.  Here, it was just one unfunny joke about wanting grandkids repeated multiple times.  Even when it did get a little weird with Kate and Aidy discussing various ways their kids could have sex to produce grandchildren, it still wasn't funny.  I wonder if it would have been cut had this been a normal show. 

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

Modern-day Tom Hanks looks especially good tonight.  Has he lost weight and maybe had a little maintenance work done?  His face looked more youthful than the last time I saw him.

Um, COVID can have the effect of wiping away weight.  Sometimes you look better, but man, it was my least favorite way to lose weight ever.

How did it not occur to me that this could/would happen?  I was so surprised when Tom Hanks walked in.  Would have loved to see his sketch.  

Loved how Hanks ("don't call me Hanks") and Fey were laying off each other.  Oscar-level fake laughter from Tom.  

Steve Martin, Tom Hanks, Tina Fey, Paul Rudd, Eddie Murphy -- this is a great gift -- thank you, SNL, and PLEASE stay well.  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

The TJ Rocks thing . . . that would’ve been cut for time, wouldn’t it?

Maybe but I kind of loved its Christmas Shoes (worst song ever) shade.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Maybe but I kind of loved it Christmas Shoes (worst song ever) shade.

Patton Oswalt has my favorite Christmas Shoes takedown. I was hoping this sketch would be more like Patton's bit, but alas, it was not.

Edited by MerBearStare
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4

Best thing so far: Paul McCartney in the Martin Short sketch. It works because who on earth would yell at Macca???? And someone does.

Like seeing Dick in a Box again.

TJ Rocks was painful. I get they were going after corny Christmas songs (I guess) but a parody still needs to be funny.

I wish they had rerun the Christmas song with Horatio and Jimmy Fallon; that was always fun. And they should have rerun "Christmastime for the Jews," which may be the funniest holiday song they ever had (or just the show's funniest song ever). Edited to add: THEY DID!!!!

The One Direction sketch was really fun. I like Pete Davidson a lot, but the old Pete sketch dragged.

Cecily does an awesome Alanis.

Totally loved seeing young Tom Hanks.

Edited to add: "Christmas Shoes" is a real song??? Yikes.

Edited by JeanJean
5 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

And they should have rerun "Christmastime for the Jews," which may be the funniest holiday song they ever had (or just the show's funniest song ever).

And... here it is!  Yay!!!

• Love 6

It was a “they did what they could” episode. Which fits for 2021. (Aw yay! Christmas time for the Jews!)

I hope those who were taken down by COVID recover properly during the holidays but I can only imagine what they need to do for the next round of live shows. I don’t think we will get until maybe end of January but it wouldn’t surprise me if they hold off until after the Olympics.

• Love 7

Cold Open: Tom Hanks, Tina Fey, and Kenan welcome Paul Rudd to the Five Four and a half Timers Club! The pre-record from Steve Martin & Martin Short was great.

Aaaaaand it turns out this show will mostly be pre-tapes and repeats. This is gonna be weird. 

Home Goods: What do moms want most this Christmas? Grandchildren. Relatable.

So far that was the only original sketch. I'll just list the repeats as they come in.

Dick in a Box: Classic. The bleeps actually make it funnier.

An Evening With Pete Davidson: This was a fun. weird one, a raging bull parody set 50 years in the future. Robo Colin was creepy. 

Santa & His Magic Elves: The naughty elves sketch!

The Global Warming Christmas Special: Man, this one was a deep cut! And it's from (checks watch) 1990?! Siiiiiiiigh. We have learned nothing. Even in parody form, Carl Sagan was right on the money that everything was just gonna get worse in thirty years. Two things that stuck out to me: The Aladdin hotel is long gone (along with most of the people depicted in the sketch along with a few cast members), and learning that Isaac Asimov died in 1992. I thought he died in the 60s or something.

WU: With Fey and Che! Doing update jokes to an audience of Kenan, Paul Rudd, and Tom Hanks. So no pressure. I still thought the jokes were good.

Christmas Socks: YES, a Christmas Shoes parody! Buying socks for a bird named TJ Rocks. At least Charli XCX made it into the show.

Steve Martin's Holiday Wish: Now this is a classic. "Oh jeez, I forgot about revenge against all my enemies!"

Caleb & Monty: So, Caleb was essentially Clifford, right? Martin Short was amazing in this. If I remember, this was the sketch that eventually transitioned to Paul McCartney singing "Wonderful Christmastime." I remember it because it was the show after the Newtown massacre (which was seven years ago THIS WEEK). And they don't even show the song in favor of the Eddie Murphy sketch. (At least it was a good sketch and they probably couldn't pay for the song on such short notice)

North Pole News Report: Ooh, sketch from the Eddie Murphy episode! That was a great episode. 

Adult One Direction Fan: This was fun. I also don't remember this sketch, so it was new to me!

Now That's What I Call Christmas: Ah yes, the celeb impression sketch from Jimmy Fallon's episode. I still love Alan Rickman's "Holly Jolly Christmas." I forgot there was a DMX bit in this one.

Christmastime for The Jews: One of my all time favorite Christmas sketches. I saw it when it aired and yet I keep thinking it was made earlier than 2005. There's definitely references that lock it to that year, like Jon Stewart talking about FEMA and Rosie in Fiddler on The Roof.

Someone on Reddit said that this episode looks like what would happen if the power suddenly went out, and I agree. I remember the brief episode Conan did during that big blackout and it was staged just like the cold open.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8