Type keyword(s) to search

S1.E07: Skin of Her Teeth

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Dexter is worried that a serial killer may have set its sights on someone he cares deeply about. So, he turns from predator to protector… a role he’s not comfortable playing. Meanwhile Angela arrests someone from Iron Lake who may be the culprit of a cold case that is near and dear to her heart.  Dexter and Harrison run into some more bumps in the road in their relationship, leading Harrison to turn to a very dangerous person as his father figure.

Original airdate 12/19/21

Huh, that was interesting. I still don't understand how they bought the dad excuse. OK yes the DNA wasn't a 100% match, I guess it was a degraded sample. However, they still have all the other circumstantial evidence.

I'm actually looking forward to Kurt vs Dexter. Hell, it's interesting to see Dexter being the prey instead of the Hunter.

I'm going to LMAO if Molly figures out Dexter is the Bay Harbor Butcher.

• Love 5

I'm not loving or hating this season so far. I would have welcome one entire episode of Dexter being a normal person in Snowville.

I definitely don't want anything to happen to Angela. Kurt can die. I'm neutral on the kid.

A friend of mine asked me what *should happen to Dexter if this is the final season? I think we all know that answer to that.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm actually looking forward to Kurt vs Dexter. Hell, it's interesting to see Dexter being the prey instead of the Hunter.

The battle of The Showtime Serial Killers or (SSK)

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

DNA evidence is there but is it true that DNA could also point at family members as well?  The DNA probability, 67% that it was Kurt DNA on her tooth (it was because she gave him that hand scar), what is the threshold for judges and juries to conclude the DNA evidence is a slam dunk?

In any event, Kurt as a little kid had to witness his father picking up runaway girls and having his way with them in the back of the truck cab.  Now did the Runaway song play when these sexual assaults were occurring or in Kurt's memories, he imposes the soundtrack?

Could explain why that particular song is so big for him but he danced with the hostess at the restaurant like it was his favorite romantic song of all time.

So he picks up runaways, kills them, embalms them so that their faces are intact.  Does he re-enact those creepy memories?

When he kills Iris, he looks to be in his late teens or early twenties.  And he has his own tractor trailer that looks very recent.  If Kurt is anywhere near Clancy Brown's age, that would be 40 years ago!  That truck looks like something from now, as does the rifle with the laser scope.

He was going to rescue Iris, take her back home?  But when this runaway tries to run away, young Kurt shoots her down and buries her in the cave?

Harrison confesses that he has impulses to hurt people.  Based on his memories of his mother's bloody death?  He chose that knife because that is what he remembers Trinity using?

Kurt and Harrison with fucked up childhood memories leading to psychopathic impulses when they're grown up or almost grown up?

This theory of child psychological development seems unique to Dexter.  Not sure all kids who may recall violent events from when they were very young, a toddler in Harrison's case, all end up with the Dark Passenger.

Kurt signals to Dexter that he knows Dexter killed his son.  But instead of getting revenge by going after Harrison, he goes right to the source.

Harrison may have to save pops. 

Maybe if the kid can channel his energy elsewhere, he might not give in to his violent impulses.  He wants to hang out with Audrey, who was really down to hook up when Harrison confessed about wanting to hurt people.

But after seeing Harrison break a kid's arm, she doesn't want to hang out.  Make up your mind!

Edited by aghst
  • Love 3

How long ago was Iris' death? The actress playing Angela is 40 so maybe she was 17, so that makes it 23 years ago. If Clancy Brown is 62 (looks older than that), he'd be early 40s, but looked like mid-20s instead. His story is pure BS. 

A lot of expo talk this episode. Molly & Angela figuring things out.

But after seeing Harrison break a kid's arm, she doesn't want to hang out.  Make up your mind!

If it's just a feeling and it's hypothetical, it's OK, but seeing it in action is different and also squicky.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, aghst said:

DNA evidence is there but is it true that DNA could also point at family members as well?

Yes, it can and since that was the only evidence they had, and Kurt's "Dad did it" story can't be refuted he had to be released. But how does he know Dexter killed his son? Was there a camera at the local raging community furnace? Am I forgetting something?

Kurt must have have help stripping that underground lair to the cinderblocks and hauling it all away. Maybe not-Matt helped him? They sure work fast.

51 minutes ago, aghst said:

When he kills Iris, he looks to be in his late teens or early twenties.

I thought he looked around 30 which would make him 55 now? Of course, I'm not best judge of ages.

I don't see how Harrison remembers his mother's murder. He was 10 months old at the time. Dexter took him to a child psychologist who assured him a baby that age wouldn't remember specific events.

Poor Angela. She's lived there all her life and her only friend is cartoon podcast girl? But I was impressed with the lightning speed with which the DNA sample was analyzed. I don't think even Miami Metro could get it so quickly. 

Again, I feel this whole show is going at breakneck speed - no time for subtle clues or for anything to build. All the events happen one after the other non-stop.

1 hour ago, aghst said:

He wants to hang out with Audrey, who was really down to hook up when Harrison confessed about wanting to hurt people.

Maybe it depends on whether she likes or knows the person he hurts.😏 He was a hero to her when he sliced the poor outcast boy.

8 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Hell, it's interesting to see Dexter being the prey instead of the Hunter.

That only happened one other time, when Isaak Sirko was burning Miami down to flush out Dex. Our boy got a little flustered and panicky then, even hiding out in that manky no-tell motel. Ha.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Huh, that was interesting. I still don't understand how they bought the dad excuse. OK yes the DNA wasn't a 100% match, I guess it was a degraded sample. However, they still have all the other circumstantial evidence.

All they had was DNA.  I'm no expert, but on top of the particular test not being highly reliable, up to half of Kurts' DNA could be shared with his father, so as alibis go, it's fairly plausible.  I didn't like the interposed scene of what really happened.  I'm far too literal for that.  Maybe that's the guest director?  I noticed some unique angles that seemed different.

• Love 2

Questions...

• How Dexter was able to see human skin on a tooth of a decades-old corpse?
  • How did Kurt come to a conclusion that Dexter killed Matt? Ashes found on his clothes aren't enough proof.
  • In the flashback scene, why Kurt is only 5-10 years older than Iris when he is (at least) 20-25 years older than Angela now?
  • Why Dexter went into Kurt's office, touching and straightening things without gloves? He didn't even check for any hidden camera etc.
  • Who is Elric Kane? Why is Kurt paying him off, for moving the bodies? Will there be any connection that will lead to Ed Olsen?
  • Why Kurt's minion (Elric Kane) got Harrison to move those containers with him when he could just handed him the letter for Dexter?
  • Where is Kurt's embalming facility?

Dexter: "I saw what you are. With my own eyes. You think you can get rid of everything? Something always get left behind."

Kurt: "You're right. Something always get left behind. We can never erase all of our sins. Not even fire will do that. You think you know everything, but I know one thing you don't. Titanium doesn't melt."

giphy.gif

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 7

Quite a few leaps here tonight. Clancy's catch that it was ash and not snow was good, but did someone clean out the incinerator then and find Matt's screws? That seems like quite a logic jump- Dexter has ash on him, therefore he must have gone to the town incinerator and I better check it out?

Angela was dumb to get so excited that she had Kurt nailed. Even if he hadn't blamed his father, there's still a ways to go from proving Iris bit him to proving he's the one who killed her.

So the scene with Iris's death was Caldwell's actual recollections, interspersed with his made up story about his father picking up Iris? Too bad then he couldn't burn Angela with the fact that Iris referred to Angela as her ex best friend moments before she died. Also agree that his murder of Iris makes no sense. He wanted to stop her from becoming an abused prostitute but winds up shooting her in the back? It wasn't like he had done anything wrong at this point so there wasn't any need to silence her. Was he just mad that she turned down his offer to help?

Harrison really sucks. I am so sick of him acting like a punk and then getting mad when he's called on it. Newsflash, Harrison, you act like a psycho and people are going to start calling you one.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Poor Angela. She's lived there all her life and her only friend is cartoon podcast girl?

She burned a lot of bridges by essentially calling all the other Senecas losers by making no secret of wanting to run away.

Then she became a "townie" AND an oppressor

6 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Dexter: "I saw what you are. With my own eyes. You think you can get rid of everything? Something always get left behind."

Kurt: "You're right. Something always get behind. We can never erase all of our sins. Not even fire will do that. You think you know everything, but I know one thing you don't. Titanium doesn't melt."

I thought Kurt said "titanium doesn't burn," but the point is the same and valid. Actually, titanium does indeed melt, but at a very high temperature, i.e., above 3000 degrees F, which is very much hotter than reached by any typical fire. Indeed, that's almost 1000 degrees F hotter than a typical kiln used to fire ceramics (which melts glass and even several types of stone). How Kurt connected this with Dexter remains unexplained, however.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, ahpny said:

How Kurt connected this with Dexter remains unexplained, however.

I think the show is pointing at the fact that Dexter was there at all as the thing that made Kurt suspect him. I can't recall the exact dialogue, but Kurt did imply that it was suspicious for Dexter to be around that bar at exactly that time to offer him a ride.

He also mentioned how involved Dexter was during the investigation (lending his house as base camp, was one example he gave), which, as anyone who watches real crime shows can attest, is a red flag for investigators. I'd imagine Kurt also being a killer would find it of interest too.

Whether that's enough dots to make a connection is another matter. For some it might be, for others not too much.

• Love 1

Yeah, that's not how DNA works. You either have a match or you don't. It's the only non-bullshitty of the forensic sciences. Also on top of this air-tight evidence, they had a ton of circumstantial evidence, like Kurt faking the reappearence of his son, two witnesses for the kill-hotel-room, that he demolished in a hurry, etc.

The writers really fucked this and I'm annoyed as hell. If the goal was to redeem Dexter from the very lackluster last few seasons, massive fail, guys.

• Love 3

10 hours ago, anoninrva said:

I'm no expert, but on top of the particular test not being highly reliable, up to half of Kurts' DNA could be shared with his father, so as alibis go, it's fairly plausible. 

Not unless Kurt is a clone.

13 hours ago, aghst said:

DNA evidence is there but is it true that DNA could also point at family members as well?  The DNA probability, 67% that it was Kurt DNA on her tooth (it was because she gave him that hand scar), what is the threshold for judges and juries to conclude the DNA evidence is a slam dunk?

Either you have enough DNA for a match or you don't. This was just super billshitty writing.

13 hours ago, aghst said:

When he kills Iris, he looks to be in his late teens or early twenties.  And he has his own tractor trailer that looks very recent.  If Kurt is anywhere near Clancy Brown's age, that would be 40 years ago!  That truck looks like something from now, as does the rifle with the laser scope.

It was supposedly 25 years ago.

Doesn't really match with how old Clancy Brown would have been back then (the actor looked in his 20s) and it also doesn't match with when serial killers usually start killing, but whatever, I guess. Who cares about consistancy in a crime story?

16 minutes ago, WearyTraveler said:

I think the show is pointing at the fact that Dexter was there at all as the thing that made Kurt suspect him. I can't recall the exact dialogue, but Kurt did imply that it was suspicious for Dexter to be around that bar at exactly that time to offer him a ride.

Which, really isn't any conclusion at all. "You were in town the night my sons body was incenerated, therefore you must have done it!"

As deranged as he might be, I can't see the character come to that conclusion.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, aghst said:

image.png.12bff1416963be344dd1e352b9d01f3b.png 1984

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

The good thing is at least Kurt is a good Villian. The last few seasons of Dexter we had awful bad guys lol. That twist that wasn't even a twist in S6 is still so dumb lol. That being sad I still don't know how I feel about this season.  The limited amount of Deb this episode was very nice and the scenes between Dex and Kurt are good. Harrison sucks though and I don't care about him and he is a main player. I also don't believe he remembers what happened to Rita.  I like Dexter doing his forensic thing and wish we has more of that.  Stuff is being set up but still we have 3 episodes to wrap all of this up. I don't know.

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, Zonk said:

Which, really isn't any conclusion at all. "You were in town the night my sons body was incenerated, therefore you must have done it!"

As deranged as he might be, I can't see the character come to that conclusion.

It wasn't just that he was in town, it was that he had what Kurt assumed was snow on him and then later realized was ash. Dexter got ash on himself and inside of his car. Now, most people would just shrug and assume Dexter had a winter bonfire, but Kurt has a spidey sense when being around people who kill people (or who will kill people). It's why he's drawn to Harrison. Now, the screw that was sent- not sure if that was actually retrieved from the incinerator or if Caldwell was just bluffing to see what kind of reaction Dexter would have.

Edited by Tatum
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ahpny said:

I thought Kurt said "titanium doesn't burn," but the point is the same and valid. Actually, titanium does indeed melt, but at a very high temperature, i.e., above 3000 degrees F, which is very much hotter than reached by any typical fire. Indeed, that's almost 1000 degrees F hotter than a typical kiln used to fire ceramics (which melts glass and even several types of stone). How Kurt connected this with Dexter remains unexplained, however.

Just as Dexter suspected something was off with Kurt even before he saw the kill cabin, Kurt probably had his spidey sense tingle about Dexter.

Game respects game.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
52 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

The good thing is at least Kurt is a good Villian.

Clancy Brown is never not watchable and at this point he's mostly what is making this whole show watchable, IMO. Without him and without the nostalgia factor I wouldn't bother.

56 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

The last few seasons of Dexter we had awful bad guys lol.

What - you mean Tom Hank's kid who was supposed to be terrifying but whose expressions merely made him look as though someone had just farted in his face? Not even Edward James Olmos could save that train wreck.

10 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

How Dexter was able to see human skin on a tooth of a decades-old corpse?

Just the usual in DexWorld, where no one has security cameras, puts a password on their computers, or ever heard of dead bolts or alarm systems. All those things can be overlooked or given a pass with great acting and gripping stories. Unfortunately that is not this show.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

It was strange to me that Angela didn't question Kurt at all about the other missing girls. Even if there wasn't enough evidence to nail him down to Iris's murder, why not ask him about the others?

Also, the idea of Kurt rooting around in the town incinerator (which I guess is a thing?) for evidence is ridiculous. 

• Love 3

I find a few things hard to believe:

-Harrison was just learning to talk when the Irish nanny was his babysitter.  That was in the 5th season.  So he can remember Arthur the killer, even down to what weapon he used?  I guess it is theoretically possible, but I'm not buying it.  Of course, that was Dexter's premise too so I guess it runs in the family.

-The Chief of Police's boyfriend is asked in to survey the crime scene?  I would sure think that location would have been roped off and the FBI or state of New York forensic team would be called in right away.  Just musing, what would a defense attorney be able to say in court about that breach? 

-Harrison got to break the other kid's arm with no repercussions?  Oh, wait, there was one consequence.  The chief's daughter doesn't want to hang out with him anymore. 

-I'm not that familiar with Clancy Brown's work.  He looks way too old for this part and timeline as presented.

-Most of the actors come off as though they are sleepwalking through their parts.  One of the worst offenders is MCH.

I am disappointed that after all these years, and all the grief that Dexter as a series got for having the worst finale ever (with the possible exception of Game of Thrones) that this is the best that could be presented.  If I like a tv show or movie, I can watch it over and over.  If a season 1-5 episode popped up in my channel surfing, I'd be happy to watch it.  I'll stick with this through the end of the season, but I'll never want to rewatch any of the episodes I've seen so far.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Tippi said:

-Harrison got to break the other kid's arm with no repercussions?  Oh, wait, there was one consequence.  The chief's daughter doesn't want to hang out with him anymore. 

In fairness, two consequences:  the other school's wrestling team did try to beat him up at work.  Why just slashing them with his razor is ok there, I'm not that clear on.  Also, perhaps I misremember, but I thought the datenight was after the wrestling match, and Harrison just didn't go home that night instead of being confronted by Dexter?  So maybe delayed reaction, maybe she had regrets about going that far or him being clingy?  There seems to be room for ambiguity there.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Tippi said:

Harrison was just learning to talk when the Irish nanny was his babysitter.  That was in the 5th season.  So he can remember Arthur the killer, even down to what weapon he used?  I guess it is theoretically possible, but I'm not buying it.  Of course, that was Dexter's premise too so I guess it runs in the family.

I'm not buying it, either.  I think he read about it later since it was all over the news at the time.  I can't imagine he wouldn't have read about it since he would have wanted to know about her just as much as he would want to know about Dexter.

I also am suspicious of Hanna's cancer.  I think Harrison killed her.   If she knew she was dying, she would have arranged for Harrison to go to his grandparents.  Unless they are dead?  I can't remember if Rita had living parents since I can't remember who her kids ended up with - her parents or her ex's parents.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, izabella said:

I'm not buying it, either.  I think he read about it later since it was all over the news at the time.  I can't imagine he wouldn't have read about it since he would have wanted to know about her just as much as he would want to know about Dexter.

I also am suspicious of Hanna's cancer.  I think Harrison killed her.   If she knew she was dying, she would have arranged for Harrison to go to his grandparents.  Unless they are dead?  I can't remember if Rita had living parents since I can't remember who her kids ended up with - her parents or her ex's parents.

I think Rita's mother was alive- she came down to visit during season 1 or 2 and defended the Bay Harbor butcher to Rita. I don't think Rita was that close to her though. Her two older kids lived with their paternal grandparents.

Dexter told Hannah to get in touch with him if Harrison showed a dark side, and evidently gave her a way to do so, so I can't believe she wouldn't reach out to him if she knew she was dying. But I also can't see Harrison killing her- they appear to want to keep him somewhat redeemable and having him kill the person who volunteered to look after him after he had no one else and nowhere else to go seems like a pretty one note villain. Even if he found out she was a murderer too, she was the only caregiver he had from ages 6-13.

And also call BS on Harrison remembering Trinity.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, anoninrva said:

Also, perhaps I misremember, but I thought the datenight was after the wrestling match, and Harrison just didn't go home that night instead of being confronted by Dexter?

They hooked up the night before the match. After the match, Dexter went to the Clarke Cave after that infamous phone call “I don’t need Jim, I need Dexter Morgan”.

6 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Just the usual in DexWorld, where no one has security cameras, puts a password on their computers, or ever heard of dead bolts or alarm systems. All those things can be overlooked or given a pass with great acting and gripping stories. Unfortunately that is not this show.

Just like when he helped identifying Matt’s gun from a thermal image. 🙄

• Love 1
2 hours ago, anoninrva said:

Also, perhaps I misremember, but I thought the datenight was after the wrestling match, and Harrison just didn't go home that night instead of being confronted by Dexter?  So maybe delayed reaction, maybe she had regrets about going that far or him being clingy?  There seems to be room for ambiguity there.

Perhaps he didn't perform that well under the covers (he wasn't razor sharp) and she decided to move on. [pun intended]

• LOL 2
15 hours ago, Tatum said:

It wasn't just that he was in town, it was that he had what Kurt assumed was snow on him and then later realized was ash. Dexter got ash on himself and inside of his car. Now, most people would just shrug and assume Dexter had a winter bonfire, but Kurt has a spidey sense when being around people who kill people (or who will kill people). It's why he's drawn to Harrison. Now, the screw that was sent- not sure if that was actually retrieved from the incinerator or if Caldwell was just bluffing to see what kind of reaction Dexter would have.

It had nothing to do with Dexter or his car. Kurt got ash on his jacket, because it rained ash over the whole town that night. So everybody was covered in it. That Kurt got ash on his jacket and that Dexter was in town the night he did, somehow was definitive proof for him that Dexter killed his son.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Zonk said:

It had nothing to do with Dexter or his car. Kurt got ash on his jacket, because it rained ash over the whole town that night. So everybody was covered in it. That Kurt got ash on his jacket and that Dexter was in town the night he did, somehow was definitive proof for him that Dexter killed his son.

Well...I feel like a bonehead. Although not as much as Angela should feel like one :).

OK, the whole town getting ashed on actually makes more sense for how Kurt figured out Matt was in the incinerator, but you're right, does nothing to tie Dexter as the culprit.

That said, I don't think it's totally crazy that Kurt suspected Dexter. As he said before, he knew something was off about Dexter. I think we are just going to have to accept that in the Dexter canon, serial killers can identify each other. Kurt may not have known what Dexter was in his former life, but he knew there was something off about him and Dexter has been on Kurt's radar since he arrived. Further, Dexter does live near where Matt was last seen, and he is known for taking (armed) walks around the woods where Kurt knows Matt was attacked. (As far as how Kurt knows this, it really wouldn't surprise me at this point if Angela had said, well Dexter takes walks all along the forest every day, and he said he didn't see anything. Good thing he takes a rifle with him, eh?). None of that would hold up in a court of law, but Kurt isn't a prosecutor and he's not planning on arresting Dexter. He has been fishing when talking to Dexter and Dexter has realized this, confirmed in his voiceovers. I don't know if Kurt knew for sure that Dexter had incinerated Matt and may have flaunted the unmelted titanium in his face to see what kind of reaction Dexter would have- guilt, anger, or total confusion. Dexter didn't have much of a reaction, but enough of one to probably confirm in Kurt's mind that Dexter did do it.

And can I just say this again, how freaking DUMB is Angela? You have a missing man, a slew of missing girls last seen in Iron Lake, and you have a public access incinerator and when the whole town is covered in ash, you don't think to maybe, I don't know, check it out? Or maybe, like, set up security cameras around the incinerator? Or like, close off the public access part?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Tatum said:

, the whole town getting ashed on actually makes more sense for how Kurt figured out Matt was in the incinerator, but you're right, does nothing to tie Dexter as the culprit.

Dexter was also "very" helpful in the search, per Kurt and, found the body (with Harrison) and, was the only other person out at night.

Plus, I think they're going with killers can sense their own kind, happens a lot in TV/movies.

I know people think Kurt was grooming Kurt into being a partner because he sensed Harrison had the killer in him. I think it was more about a play against "Jim" while Kurt figured everything out. Maybe he wanted to kill Harrison to punish Jim, maybe he wanted to steal Harrison from Jim.

If we're to believe the flashback as the true story, then Kurt's methodology seems to be about "saving" people/women/runaways. They're better off dead than out on the road where they can run into people like his dad. It's sick and twisted but, seems to be his thing

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Tatum said:

OK, the whole town getting ashed on actually makes more sense for how Kurt figured out Matt was in the incinerator

Someone needs to get that thing serviced if it's spewing out ash like the La Palma volcano. But I don't understand the furnace anyway. Where is it in relation to the town and why is it so accessible for everyone to just open it and toss in anything they feel like - trash, hazardous materials, bodies? Considering how so many people do so many dumb things these days, it seems a little dangerous to me.

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

If we're to believe the flashback as the true story, then Kurt's methodology seems to be about "saving" people/women/runaways. They're better off dead than out on the road where they can run into people like his dad

That does make sense and also explains why he has no interest in beating or raping them the way his dad did, but why the embalming and fixation on their intact faces and how is he concealing all those bodies?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Tatum said:

Kurt may not have known what Dexter was in his former life, but he knew there was something off about him and Dexter has been on Kurt's radar since he arrived.

Were we told this? My brain often deletes on exit when I click the "Off" button on my TV.

7 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

That does make sense and also explains why he has no interest in beating or raping them the way his dad did, but why the embalming and fixation on their intact faces and how is he concealing all those bodies?

I'm hoping we get answers, especially with the "where are the bodies" part of the story. I think the embalming and trying to fix the face is less about a sexual need (if the story is true) and about giving the girls a proper burial and treating with respect. It's totally messed up but, that's all I can think of. He offers them advice (go home), he offers them money to go home or a job where he can "protect" them. When they refuse all help, he kills them to "protect" them. He definitely gets a thrill from it, we saw that in the bar/dancing scene.  

Speaking of, it would be cool if we find out the bartender was a runaway that took his offer of a job and that's why he dances with her after every kill.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Were we told this? My brain often deletes on exit when I click the "Off" button on my TV.

Kurt said something like, I thought we were going to be friends when we first met, or something to that effect. He said something similar about Harrison, but I can't remember what. It was either in this episode or the one right before it. It's ambiguous (maybe he just thought Jim Lindsay was a happening kind of guy), but that is what I think we are supposed to take from that conversation.

As far as Kurt's motivation- remember he did give Chloe $80 to go home, which she spent on a coat.

14 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Considering how so many people do so many dumb things these days, it seems a little dangerous to me.

right??? I know Kurt has never used the incinerator for his victims (that we know of), but maybe Chief Moron could consider that's how so many young girls disappear without a trace?

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Someone needs to get that thing serviced if it's spewing out ash like the La Palma volcano. But I don't understand the furnace anyway. Where is it in relation to the town and why is it so accessible for everyone to just open it and toss in anything they feel like - trash, hazardous materials, bodies? Considering how so many people do so many dumb things these days, it seems a little dangerous to me.

I assumed it was for hunters to dispose of carcasses from their kills? I don't hunt though and I live in a suburb so I don't really know...

On 12/20/2021 at 4:49 PM, Tippi said:

So he can remember Arthur the killer, even down to what weapon he used?  I guess it is theoretically possible, but I'm not buying it.

It's not possible for 10 month old baby to recall that.

On 12/20/2021 at 4:49 PM, Tippi said:

Of course, that was Dexter's premise too so I guess it runs in the family.

Dexter was much older, at three, when his mother was murdered and even then he didn't consciously recall it, or blocked it out, until the memory was triggered by all the blood Brian threw around in the hotel room. His memories just came in flashes, which seemed quite realistic.

On 12/20/2021 at 5:13 PM, izabella said:

I think (Harrison) read about it later since it was all over the news at the time.

That's more likely, that he read all about it maybe years ago and now thinks it's a memory.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 12/20/2021 at 4:13 PM, izabella said:

If she knew she was dying, she would have arranged for Harrison to go to his grandparents.  Unless they are dead?  I can't remember if Rita had living parents since I can't remember who her kids ended up with - her parents or her ex's parents.

Why would Hannah know anything about Harrison's grandparents or how to find them? Plus the grandparents that took in Astor and Cody was their paternal grandparents. They would have no relation to Harrison. 

• Love 2

The only ending that is gonna redeem this entire thing for me is if, after the Kurt business is handled, Dexter takes Harrison out to end the bloodline. Bonus points if Dexter takes himself out with him. 

• Love 2

That's a huge leap from lying about talking to your son to being a suspect in a 25 year old murder. I liked how Dexter's 'expert forensics' was just basically being observant. 

It was interesting that Kurt's first kill wasn't planned. Brilliant that he threw the dad under the bus. 

On 12/19/2021 at 8:35 PM, AngelaHunter said:

But how does he know Dexter killed his son? Was there a camera at the local raging community furnace? Am I forgetting something?

Watching now, but I thought Kurt saying 'fate' means he saw Dexter throw the body in the furnace. 

Good job with the actor with the 'memories flooding back' monologue. I kind of wish we got to that to that point sooner in the series though. 

10 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I can buy the m/o, but where these bodies are needs to be addressed next episode. If we're going with all the girls on the board are his kills, that's a lot. They made a point to have Angela say 'how did I not know this cabin was here?'. Nice cover. But the show hasn't tipped us off at all. 

I'm still rooting for Dexter to get away with it. 

• Love 4

This last episode was apparently the highest rated of the series.

Something like 8.2 million for all views.

Showtime is going to want to renew it so it's a matter of the show runner and Hall wanting to keep doing it.

Because someone floated the idea of Harrison taking over but that actor is unknown (I've never seen him in anything) and probably can't carry a show on his own.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Plus, I think they're going with killers can sense their own kind, happens a lot in TV/movies.

This is also straight out of the Dexter novels. In those, Dexter is always commenting on how predators can recognize others like themselves. (I’m glad the show ended up diverging from where the books went though, it’s been many years since I read them but IIRC Dexter’s “Dark Passenger” ended up being an actual thing inhabiting him, like the movie Venom.) 

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

(I’m glad the show ended up diverging from where the books went though

Agree. They changed a lot from the first novel. That's not always a good thing for book > TV series/movies but in this case they knew they had to make Dexter himself more appealing and did it so well they had us rooting for a serial killer - something I would have thought to be impossible.

Too bad Dexter didn't hear Kurt's monologue and see that someone is a much better liar than he. He might have learned something.

• Love 1