Type keyword(s) to search

The Human Beings Known as the Arnold-Klein Family

• Start Topic

On 9/15/2017 at 8:19 AM, Pickles said:

An article on Daily Mail about their Houston home that is on the market for $1,225,000. They re-renovated it to make it suitable for buyers of average height. Said it was not damaged in the hurricane. 

Major selling point: survived a massive hurricane & flooding with little to no damage! 

For reals.. if i were looking for a house in houston in that price point I would be like "yep, give me that house". They showed their street was flooded and that house didn't get touched.  it's crazy.

16 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I loved the green, but it was the color of my grandparents house for most of my life. The blue is just too vibrant for an outside color. 

I liked the green too but I'm not a huge fan of normal blues. (I like pale blues... or teal blues... like aqua ;) )

I'm thinking the reason they got such a large home is so they have "private " areas and "filming " areas. I looked at the interior pictures of the house on Zillow and there's a lot of rooms. I know we only saw interior shots when the brothers came over before they and Bill left for Houston to check on the blue house, but time will tell if we're allowed to see the rest of the home.

• Love 1

The new house is HUGE! Is the main entrance up the staircase? I assume they will drive into the garage and take the elevator upstairs. Even the staircase in the house is tricky. I don't like using a staircase myself where you have to take bigger and bigger footsteps as you approach the bottom. 

If the cars are parked in the garage, then won't they be destroyed if there is flooding? (After the last few months I'd be leary about settling down anywhere near the coastline, especially in a hurricane-prone part of the country.) 

I don't know if they will hire a nanny but if it were just for myself, I think I'd hire a whole staff. At least cook, housekeeper, groundskeeper, etc. No way could I handle so much house!

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, CousinAmy said:

If the cars are parked in the garage, then won't they be destroyed if there is flooding? (After the last few months I'd be leary about settling down anywhere near the coastline, especially in a hurricane-prone part of the country.) 

I don't know if they will hire a nanny but if it were just for myself, I think I'd hire a whole staff. At least cook, housekeeper, groundskeeper, etc. No way could I handle so much house!

Yes, they would if you left them there. Presumably they'd be moved to higher ground before a storm. I'd still love to live near the beach despite the hurricanes.

I hear you on the staff. I live in a comparatively large house and have a few acres and the maintenance is a drag. (Some people like it though; I just heard from the former owners who said they just bought another house in their 80's because the husband was bored! I wanted to say, come on over!) Everything costs more with a big house. A new roof, exterior painting, etc. on a little house is a fraction of the cost of a big house. Looking forward to downsizing and traveling more when we can!

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, SMama said:

With such a huge house, why did the brothers stay at a hotel on the visit to Houston episode?

I'm not sure if you saw the epi, but the house had been cleared out and renovated to be put up for sale. So there was no furniture, beds, towels, sheets etc. that could accommodate a group of guys staying for a week. 

• Love 1

I assume SMama means at the Florida house on the way to Houston.  Why did the brothers retire to a hotel instead of staying with Bill and Jen before heading to Houston the next day?   It seems we saw a very tiny portion of the Florida house; have they not unpacked or bought furniture yet? 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Quof said:

I assume SMama means at the Florida house on the way to Houston.  Why did the brothers retire to a hotel instead of staying with Bill and Jen before heading to Houston the next day?   It seems we saw a very tiny portion of the Florida house; have they not unpacked or bought furniture yet? 

Now that one i was curious about but i have a feeling they hadn't really unpacked anything yet.  In their talking heads you can see boxes all around them. So maybe the brother's just felt it would be easier if they stayed at a hotel. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, AZChristian said:

But they mentioned that the woman in England with them was his step-mother . . . and the kids seemed to like her a lot.

You're saying Bill & his family, especially the kids, aren't supposed to like her because she's not Bill's biological mother or the kids' biological grandmother? I don't understand the comment quoted above. Plenty of people have good relationships with their stepparent/stepgrandparent; I don't see how Bill, his brothers, his kids, & whomever else aren't supposed to have a bad relationship with this woman just because they're not biologically related to her.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

You're saying Bill & his family, especially the kids, aren't supposed to like her because she's not Bill's biological mother or the kids' biological grandmother? I don't understand the comment quoted above. Plenty of people have good relationships with their stepparent/stepgrandparent; I don't see how Bill, his brothers, his kids, & whomever else aren't supposed to have a bad relationship with this woman just because they're not biologically related to her.

No way did I say that they "aren't supposed to like her."  Discussion was about where Bill's parents live.  Someone said that most of both sides of the family live in Florida.  Someone else said that his mother lives in New York.  My statement was simply based on what I heard on the show; Jen referred to her as Bill's step-mom.  My comment that the kids seem to like her a lot meant only that the kids seem to like her a lot.  Period.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, SMama said:

With such a huge house, why did the brothers stay at a hotel on the visit to Houston episode?

Maybe the brothers just wanted to kick back and relax before they headed to Houston. Maybe they just didn't want to be bothered with the Jen and the kids thing. I don't want to sound mean, but I don't see Jen as being the most relaxed hostess and the kids are definately not relaxing.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Libby said:

Maybe the brothers just wanted to kick back and relax before they headed to Houston. Maybe they just didn't want to be bothered with the Jen and the kids thing. I don't want to sound mean, but I don't see Jen as being the most relaxed hostess and the kids are definately not relaxing.

Me neither. The kids are cute, but they seem like they'd be exhausting to be around all day. I'd much rather visit for a few hours and retreat to the peace and quiet of a hotel room. 

• Love 7

Bill and Jen are thinking about ending the show.

If things don't change in their family dynamic, the only difference that being off the show will make is that less people will see and comment upon their lives. 

Those kids hit the lottery when Bill and Jen adopted them. They were probably doomed to a very sad existence as disabled children abandoned to orphanages in poor countries. They are now able to enjoy EVERY creature comfort known to mankind, as well as having medical care they would not have had before. 

By the same token, Bill and Jen would probably have had a hard time adopting here in the States. They are wealthy enough to provide, but their physical challenges would probably have put them at the bottom of the waiting list for most agencies. So the blessing of them all finding each other is obvious.

Having said that, I think all that any of us would like to see is that each member of the family function at their highest potential. ANY child - adopted or not, physically challenged or not - needs to learn respect. "Obedience" is a strong word. They don't have to be little robots, but they do need to learn that when an adult gives direction, the child needs to respect what they are being told to do and respond accordingly. I get concerned about the kids' physical safety when they are running around loose in public places. They could harm or injure themselves, or run into other people and damage property that does not belong to them. We saw how aghast those tour guides were in the UK when the kids wandered past ropes and touched historical artifacts. NO ONE is supposed to do that. Not even the Klein kids.

And the parents would reap a great deal of benefit if they invest the time and effort into learning how to command that respect. They wouldn't have to repeat themselves (to no avail). They wouldn't have to be embarrassed when the kids are screaming and running around. (Surely they ARE currently embarrassed?) They wouldn't have to be concerned that the kids might become lost or injured. (Surely they ARE currently concerned?)

I wish them all well. Actually, I wish them all a better situation. They can change what people think about them and their kids, whether it's the opinion of one person or millions. But it starts at that big fancy house in Florida.

• Love 14

I have to say I really like this family quite a lot.  I've learned a lot of things watching their show over a few years.  They're not perfect people, but I have to say if I had a camera crew following me around and the footage was being broadcast on television the list of things people would have to criticize me for would be absolutely endless.

I think for the sake of the kids we are absolutely reaching the point where being on television might not be the best, even if the kids are enjoying themselves as far as the process of filming.  I don't believe that Bill and Jen would put the kids through it if the kids found the process made them unhappy.  As it stands I can see where Will may get teased by his peers based on how things appear to be based on watching the show.  I suspect he may need a bit more structure and routine than can be accommodated reasonably with a television crew present attempting to capture footage to make an engaging program out of.  

I wish nothing but the best for this family.

• Love 8

Maybe folks already know this but it seems that on Oct 3, they dropped their house in Houston's price by $26,000. Its now 1.19 milliion. Zillow estimate lists it about 996k. Also, the new location for Rocky and Maggies in Houston is close to opening according to Bill via twitter.

Just now, Snow8585 said:

Maybe folks already know this but it seems that on Oct 3, they dropped their house in Houston's price by $26,000. Its now 1.19 milliion. Zillow estimate lists it about 996k. Also, the new location for Rocky and Maggies in Houston is close to opening according to Bill via twitter.

I wonder if they're going to have a tough time selling. Recent hurricane aside, that house was way overbuilt for the neighborhood. 

I'm actually surprised it hasn't sold.  There are a ton of people looking for places that withstood the hurricane.  I realize that's way outside the budget of 99% of folks but an acquaintance, whose home had been on the market for 18 months, sold hers a couple of days after the big blow for way over asking because people were desperate.  She felt guilty about it but there were multiple bidders.

• Love 1

Yes he owns one. At least for now.  Poking around online R & Ms estimated revenue is $300k annually.  That is estimated so not sure if that is accurate.  3 employees to pay salaries to. So they make some money and apparently enough to justify an upgrade to the facilities and move to a new location. When i first saw the photos online, i thought it was in Florida but apparently not.  I guess Bill will travel back and forth as need be to check on the store. Or maybe sell it or try to make it into a chain and open one in Florida if there is a market there.  The one thing that they did in a recent episode which i truly appreciated learning about was the pedals that Bill needs to bring along to install in a rental car.  I am sure he is used to it by now but that could be a hassle I am sure. Jen's salary is great but that equates to not being home a lot I am afraid. They make bank as Bill likes to say with TLC.

2 hours ago, Snow8585 said:

The one thing that they did in a recent episode which i truly appreciated learning about was the pedals that Bill needs to bring along to install in a rental car.  I am sure he is used to it by now but that could be a hassle I am sure. 

In all our years of renting vehicles, though, I've never had to go anywhere near the "no-parking" lane of an airport when getting the car.  It seemed staged to me that he had to do that right in the middle of traffic with people honking.  So, let's assume the car was brought around to the curb by a rental employee.  Upon seeing that Bill needed those pedals, wouldn't they have moved the car (will Bill in it) back to the parking lot so he could SAFELY install the pedals and then go pick up the rest of the family?

• Love 7

Bill sighting tonight at Tampa airport.     I was walking to the shuttle that takes you to baggage and there Bill was walking with everyone else.  He was on my shuttle.  I wanted to say hello but thought I better not.    I will say -Bill is a handsome guy.  I actually thought he was a bit taller.  He looks taller on tv, so Jen must be REALLY little in person next to him.    

I was NOT staring at him, but the guy next to me was making it obvious- I wanted to slap him  and say to his face (stop staring at him!!!!!). I swear people are extremely rude.

• Love 8
On 10/21/2017 at 8:58 AM, AZChristian said:

In all our years of renting vehicles, though, I've never had to go anywhere near the "no-parking" lane of an airport when getting the car.  It seemed staged to me that he had to do that right in the middle of traffic with people honking.  So, let's assume the car was brought around to the curb by a rental employee.  Upon seeing that Bill needed those pedals, wouldn't they have moved the car (will Bill in it) back to the parking lot so he could SAFELY install the pedals and then go pick up the rest of the family?

Every time we've had to rent a car, we had to physically go to the lot to get it, where it was parked.  So it makes me wonder if they weren't using a traditional car rental service that's just at the airport or maybe they somehow make special accomodations so that they don't have to walk all the way to the car rental lot? Sometimes that can be a really long walk - in Hawaii we even had to take a shuttle to a completely different area. Our local airport car rental lot is thankfully right by the terminal lol    

I would find it hard to believe it was staged, as I can't imagine Bill would want to have to do that in traffic if it wasn't necessary but I wouldn't go as far to say it isn't possible. 

• Love 1

I picked up a rental car last week. It was not in the parking space they told me about. It was in the oassenger pick-up spot right outside the rental car/baggage claim doors.This  was a regional airport.  If I had needed to swap anything on the car, I would have been next to traffic too. My guess is that the rental company was  told ahead of time filming was involved and they were trying to be helpful. They probably just didnt think about the pedals having to be put on.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

My guess is that the rental company was  told ahead of time filming was involved and they were trying to be helpful. They probably just didnt think about the pedals having to be put on.  

I can see them doing that as well, figuring a member of the production staff would be driving. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I picked up a rental car last week. It was not in the parking space they told me about. It was in the oassenger pick-up spot right outside the rental car/baggage claim doors.This  was a regional airport.  If I had needed to swap anything on the car, I would have been next to traffic too. My guess is that the rental company was  told ahead of time filming was involved and they were trying to be helpful. They probably just didnt think about the pedals having to be put on.  

Thanks for the info.  I've literally never seen this done, but I fly in and out of major airports where you walk over to a lot full of cars and pick one in your price range.  I've learned something new today!

• Love 1

Jen posted a pic of Will & Zoey in their Halloween costumes to her Instagram. Will is Darth Vader; Zoey's a Disney Princess, I think (I think I remember the costume & hair style), but I can't remember the Princess's name. She may be from Frozen, because I know Zoey likes that, but I don't think the wig with her costume is a hair color from Frozen.

• Love 2