Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Crystal Clear

• Start Topic

Gary’s attempt to make things right for Sophie comes with unexpected repercussions. Eddie realizes Nicole needs help in her own ways, and Maggie connects more with Jane. Katherine discovers something new about herself.

original air date 10/27/21

So, the good:

Eddie, look at you being a supportive friend and making some good steps to get over the anger. Although I do find that his acceptance is still a little unrealistic in going from 100 to, let's say 10 really quickly, this is nice to see.

Sophie. I feel for you, girl. Needing to be the adult when you're 18. I think she made a wise decision to remove the podcast--Peter's name should have been edited out anyways--but her reason for doing it--for Layla's mother, and not for Gary, is admirable. Kudos, girl.

Nice that Danny hasn't been forgotten!

The stupid:

Right after the producer told Maggie that Monday would be her last broadcast, I was counting down the minutes until that was undone. And it happened even quicker than even I thought it would. Although, the numbers won't magically be there--oh wait, AMLT logic, where everyone in Boston will end up tuning into In the Room with Dr. Bloom in 6 weeks time. And of course she meets cute someone immediately after being told that she'll be able to keep her job which she's oh so qualified for. 

Boy, it's sure a good think that Gina is now catering a movie set and is able to quit faux-Chilis. Because, again, the manager does seem like a jerk, but he's right--patrons come expecting their food to look like it does on the menu! What is so hard to understand about that? Glad you got this job, because you and your friend really should be fired.

Rome, while in real life, this Paragon Plus contract has so many loopholes that a fleet of semis could drive through it, this is the world of AMLT, and Paragon Plus will be pretty unhappy with you going against your contract. And judging by the preview....

Look, I like Gary. But I'm so over this storyline that I'm surprised you guys couldn't hear my eyes rolling.

The eh:

So, Katherine's interested in women, huh? To me, this just screams "We're desperate for ratings!" and nothing genuine. I think she does need to find a place outside of this insane central group. But, making her maybe bi just feels like TPTB are going "We need an adult character that may be bi, because the character of Danny is being phased out. And he's not one of the adult characters anyways. Again, we're desperate for ratings!" Then, TPTB sat down and said "Who could we make homosexual or bisexual?" 

It just feels cynical and not a genuine character development. Probably because until the last three episodes, there has been no hint of this development.

• Love 18
34 minutes ago, historylover820 said:

Right after the producer told Maggie that Monday would be her last broadcast, I was counting down the minutes until that was undone. And it happened even quicker than even I thought it would. Although, the numbers won't magically be there--oh wait, AMLT logic, where everyone in Boston will end up tuning into In the Room with Dr. Bloom in 6 weeks time. And of course she meets cute someone immediately after being told that she'll be able to keep her job which she's oh so qualified for. 

Boy, it's sure a good think that Gina is now catering a movie set and is able to quit faux-Chilis. Because, again, the manager does seem like a jerk, but he's right--patrons come expecting their food to look like it does on the menu! What is so hard to understand about that? Glad you got this job, because you and your friend really should be fired.

Maggie's timeline is messed up, last episode (Friday) was going to be her last day. Now it was Monday, the same day she was getting her results.

I did like Maggie's boss's. I guess her new love interest is a hockey player? I wonder if it is someone Gary will be a fan of.

Regarding Gina...I have had WAY worse bosses than that restaurant manager. He could be nicer, but why should he be nicer when Gina is incapable of doing her job and following their recipes?

I don't buy Eddie just giving his apartment to the lady that hit him, but whatever. I guess he is trying to help her and move on at the same time. And did he say $7,500 paid for 5 months of rent on that huge 2-bedroom apartment in Boston? If that's possible maybe I need to move to Boston.

At least Gary didn't ask Sophie to take down her podcast. Sophie was the better person for removing it for Layla's mom. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Did Katherine make popsicles for Theo?

My kids are in their late 20s and I still keep homemade popsicles in the freezer for them (and myself).  Why pay retail when they're so much cheaper homemade, especially if you want pure fruit juice?

I have no problem with Katherine's storyline -- plenty of people don't realize/recognize/acknowledge their sexuality until relatively late in life, especially if they are from a conservative background, as Katherine has been shown to be.

• Love 4

Boy did that lady run over the right guy, she won the hit and run jackpot! Eddie giving the lady his place seems pretty ridiculous, but its very on brand for this show, and at least this hopefully means this plot will end and I am glad that Eddie is trying to move on. I am still not happy at all with the way this story has gone even if its better now that Eddie is working on himself, I would much rather have watched Eddie and Katherine try to work on their marriage with Eddie in a wheelchair instead of watching Eddie relapse and be miserable while Katherine explores her sexuality.

I can almost hear the writers in their writers room going "Crap you guys, we shipped our one LGBTQ character off to France to look after his useless mother, now we don't have any LGBTQ characters for us to do LGBTQ issues with when we get bored with this sexual assault story! Do we want to add in some new LGBTQ character who will disappear after they have taught us a valuable lesson about something, or...which character is single now?" I am fine with the show deciding to explore Katherine possibly being bisexual (even if I am still salty that they destroyed her marriage for cheap drama) but it feels so forced in the way that this show always is, more like they want to check a diversity/social issue box instead of wanting to actually explore LGBTQ issues or Katherine's character. It reeks of cynicism.

Not surprising at all that Maggie is getting her job after her inspiring breast cancer story which touched her boss, who, of course, also had cancer and that is why her relationship with the traffic guy didn't work. Why anyone would hire someone as drippy and unprofessional as Maggie is beyond me, but she does have that special main character power where she is always right and everyone against her is wrong or will be swayed to her side. 

Speaking of, I guess Regina's boss could be more polite, but I cant blame him for being annoyed at Regina and her cooking buddy for changing the menu because they think they know better. People do go to chains because they know what they are getting and they do usually want the food they get to match what's on the menu, they're both lucky not to already be fired. But of course, Regina has special main character powers so she totally knows better than the place she is working at, her famous friend shows up to stop her for getting in trouble and she gets an amazing new job where she can presumably do whatever she wants now. 

I am really glad that Sophie reamed Gary out, she totally hit the nail on the head about this not being about Sophie but about Gary feeling guilty and wanting to be the hero. I don't blame her at all for not wanting to be around him, he had this horrible trauma even worse and made it all about himself. I am glad she took the podcast down for Layla's moms sake and not Gary's, and it looks like even if Peter never faces legal consequences his wife is leaving him.

• Love 13

It’s so frustrating. Gary, maybe you should consult with an attorney before you make confessions to multiple other people.🙄 He is so freaking stubborn.  When Maggie asked him not to leave and run over to Sophie, he blows her off and says I gotta go!  No self control at all.  It’s infuriating.  

Eddie should have consulted with an agency who helps victims of domestic violence. Professional advice is imperative.  Trying to intervene and help people who are at risk of domestic violence can you put your life in danger, as well as the victim.  Leaving is a very dangerous time.  I always recommend people get professional guidance.  (I’m an attorney.)

Why hasn’t Maggie, Sophie or anybody thought of the legal ramifications of defamation of character. Truth is a defense, but who says Sophie would be believed?   

And Rome totally blows off his legal obligations under a contract?  What’s wrong with these people?  It reminds me of a saying from my third grade teacher…Let’s all put on our thinking caps!  Not many thinking caps on this show.  🥴

• Love 12

These people make my teeth itch. I've said that in previous posts these people seem to have no impulse control. They just run to each other's homes and jobs, mess up other people's lives, and cause unnecessary drama.

Gary goes to the hospital to be blackmailed by Peter, then goes to Sophie's to confess. Sophie runs to Maggie's place of employment to cry about what Gary did. Maggie runs over to Gary's to see "how he's doing" then Gary runs back to Sophie's. (Again, do we ever see Gary work?).

Shanice pops into the kitchen at Crocodilze to pick up lunch for her and Katherine but at the same time offers Regina the chance at a new job where she has to leave tomorrow, Regina meets Rome in the park to tell discuss the catering gig and he says "do it" then he talks about how he's going to violate his contract with Paragon+ by taking his film on tour. (Don't even get me started on Rome thinking that the company will never find out about his little tour as if social media no longer exists.) Then Regina goes back to the restaurant and talks her brand new friend the ex-con into quitting her job with no notice.

These people just ping-pong all over the place like toddlers.

• Love 15
17 minutes ago, marceline said:

(Again, do we ever see Gary work?).

I only remember one scene where Gary was supposed to be working from Someday. When Maggie’s date didn’t show-up, he got tangled up in her drama instead.

Not only Gary, what about Eddie? How does he survive financially? Spousal support? Disability? 🤔

Financial difficulties don’t exist in AMLT universe!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Not surprising at all that Maggie is getting her job after her inspiring breast cancer story which touched her boss, who, of course, also had cancer and that is why her relationship with the traffic guy didn't work. Why anyone would hire someone as drippy and unprofessional as Maggie is beyond me, but she does have that special main character power where she is always right and everyone against her is wrong or will be swayed to her side. 

People do go to chains because they know what they are getting and they do usually want the food they get to match what's on the menu, they're both lucky not to already be fired. But of course, Regina has special main character powers so she totally knows better than the place she is working at

1 hour ago, marceline said:

These people make my teeth itch. I've said that in previous posts these people seem to have no impulse control. They just run to each other's homes and jobs, mess up other people's lives, and cause unnecessary drama.

It is just one implausible thing after another.  One thing I like about the show also contributes to the implausibility - storylines move along at good pace and seldom drag on.

They are minimalizing Gary's crime.  It's a violent criminal act even if he was not the one who beat Peter into a coma and it seems that they are trying to turn it into a lesser offence.

I have always liked Gina but I don't like her attitude about following the rules in a chain restaurant.  Customers go there with the expectation that the food will be the same as always and as pictured.  Gina is not too good to follow the rules.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, historylover820 said:

So, Katherine's interested in women, huh? To me, this just screams "We're desperate for ratings!" and nothing genuine. I think she does need to find a place outside of this insane central group. But, making her maybe bi just feels like TPTB are going "We need an adult character that may be bi, because the character of Danny is being phased out. And he's not one of the adult characters anyways. Again, we're desperate for ratings!" Then, TPTB sat down and said "Who could we make homosexual or bisexual?" 

More like fake Chuck E. Cheese with the Alligator greeter and all,  And Chili's changes it's menu often, so a chef trying something new (after getting approval from management!) wouldn't be as out of line as a place that catered to kids, who can be really fussy and wouldn't like cinnamon in the beans.

Ex-con Lady will be free to come clean -- just look how badly jail-time affected Martha Stewart (not!) but she won't "be her own boss" -- Gina will be her boss.

===============================================================

Katherine's sudden switch to bi made my teeth ache.  There's never been the slightest indication that she's bi; it just reeks of tokenism.  But with her and Eddie split, they need a DRAMATIC!!!! storyline to keep her somewhat relevant.

1 hour ago, marceline said:

YASSSSSS!!!!

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I have always liked Gina but I don't like her attitude about following the rules in a chain restaurant.  Customers go there with the expectation that the food will be the same as always and as pictured.  Gina is not too good to follow the rules.

As if Gina wouldn't be livid if someone in HER restaurant kitchen just changed the recipe on a whim. 

• Love 16

What’s to stop Peter from now going to the police about Gary and Layla’s father (whose name I can’t remember)? If his life is imploding with his wife leaving and threatening his teaching job, I see him bringing his attackers down with him.

No Theo!

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, JH Lipton said:

Ex-con Lady will be free to come clean -- just look how badly jail-time affected Martha Stewart (not!) but she won't "be her own boss" -- Gina will be her boss.

lol...I said the same thing. Then I wondered if she was on probation or something and could she even just up and leave the state like that. I guess not. (Or she is and that's a future plot for a side character who will disappear when it's over (see: PJ).)

• Love 2

47 minutes ago, izabella said:

As if Gina wouldn't be livid if someone in HER restaurant kitchen just changed the recipe on a whim. 

Right???  I think that one of her chefs made a slight substitution and she got upset?  (I hated the name of the restaurant -- it always sounded like an Abbott and Costello routine.  "When do you want to eat there?" "Someday...")

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I can almost hear the writers in their writers room going "Crap you guys, we shipped our one LGBTQ character off to France to look after his useless mother, now we don't have any LGBTQ characters for us to do LGBTQ issues with when we get bored with this sexual assault story! Do we want to add in some new LGBTQ character who will disappear after they have taught us a valuable lesson about something, or...which character is single now?" I am fine with the show deciding to explore Katherine possibly being bisexual (even if I am still salty that they destroyed her marriage for cheap drama) but it feels so forced in the way that this show always is, more like they want to check a diversity/social issue box instead of wanting to actually explore LGBTQ issues or Katherine's character. It reeks of cynicism.

This is what I was trying to say, but you said it so much better!

I also have no problem with Katherine exploring her sexuality, and no problem that she's bisexual. But, you said it better.

• Love 2

Is the implication that Layla’s abuse went beyond what happened to Sophie? That’s the impression I’m getting, but maybe I’m reading too much into it.

Rome is being so whatever about the possibility of getting sued. They won’t find out because he’s keeping it to churches and schools?? Yeah, ok, Rome. Can’t wait to see how surprised he is when he’s served lawsuit papers.

Regina and the other cook need to “storm out” when they quit the restaurant because their boss was a stickler about the recipes? Grow up. Also, the other cook went from “It’s not that simple. I’m an ex-con and have to be careful” to “Yeah, let’s go!” in the drop of a hat. So, is she breaking parole or was just afraid to leave a stable job? Either way, her judgement seems…not great.

And of course Delilah is treating her son like a gay best friend. 🙄

Edited by Chanandler Bong
  • Love 10
15 minutes ago, Chanandler Bong said:

Regina and the other cook need to “storm out” when they quit the restaurant because their boss was a stickler about the recipes? Grow up. Also, the other cook went from “It’s not that simple. I’m an ex-con and have to be careful” to “Yeah, let’s go!” in the drop of a hat. So, is she breaking parole or was just afraid to leave a stable job? Either way, her judgement seems…not great.

I don't think the issue is probation, since they aren't going to care if she is working elsewhere.  But her problem is that it's hard to get hired for a job with a criminal record.  She was lucky enough to have a job, so she wouldn't want to jeopardize it or leave it because it wouldn't be easy for her to find another one.

Which brings me to Regina and her "oh, we'll get more catering jobs, no problem!"   She has no way of knowing whether movie catering will be steady work.  And hey, Gina, besides it not being steady work, does your catering gig offer health benefits?  What kind of hours will she need to work, and how much will you be paying this woman you've convinced to leave her job?  What will she do when you decide, on another whim, that movie catering is boring and not what you want to do?

Edited by izabella
  • Love 7
36 minutes ago, izabella said:

I don't think the issue is probation, since they aren't going to care if she is working elsewhere.  But her problem is that it's hard to get hired for a job with a criminal record.  She was lucky enough to have a job, so she wouldn't want to jeopardize it or leave it because it wouldn't be easy for her to find another one.

Which brings me to Regina and her "oh, we'll get more catering jobs, no problem!"   She has no way of knowing whether movie catering will be steady work.  And hey, Gina, besides it not being steady work, does your catering gig offer health benefits?  What kind of hours will she need to work, and how much will you be paying this woman you've convinced to leave her job?  What will she do when you decide, on another whim, that movie catering is boring and not what you want to do?

Where is the work going to be?  Are there that many movies made near where they live or will it be that she travels most of the time?  I don't see why this would the great opportunity compared to a job in a chain restaurant.  It would seem like keeping your head down and doing the work without acting like a baby would be a better idea.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

He is so freaking stubborn.  When Maggie asked him not to leave and run over to Sophie, he blows her off and says I gotta go!  No self control at all.  It’s infuriating.  

Gary is a little boy in a man's body. No impulse control, can't stop making jokes, and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Sophie was dead serious about her not wanting to see him again, and Gary won't pay any attention to that either. Such a shame, Sophie is one of the more likeable characters on this show and she gets crapped on constantly. No friends that we know of, and has to put up with a mostly insane bunch of adults to boot.

• Love 15

Can the characters actually fail for, like, more than five seconds?  Gina has a chain-restaurant gig, which of course is being portrayed as horrible and demeaning even though following recipes consistently is pretty much *exactly* what you’d be expected to do upon taking a job at a chain, so she’s magically whisked off to movie catering land along with her criminal friend.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, in reality, a catering gig is NOT where you get to try out your recipe experiments either.  

Maggie receives terrible ratings and awful, vitriolic feedback but goes for a Hail Mary and it totally works because OF COURSE Jane is also a breast cancer survivor. As many people here have pointed out - there weren’t *any* other candidates in the running for the job?

That said, Ryan Hansen is cute and I’ve always liked him, even while playing a Dick (Casablancas), so go for it, Maggie!

I thought it was odd that so much was made out of Danny’s gift to Milo yet we never saw him receiving it.

You literally can do not have the time, money or resources to fend off a massive lawsuit from Paragon Plus, so what are you doing, Rome?   Oh, right, again, the characters are only capable of failing upward.

• Love 5

I missed it but what does Gary do?

As others said, he has been insufferable. 

Maggie and Regina are so entitled right now. 🤦‍♀️

I hope Regina's friendship won't backfire on her but I won't be surprised if it happens since Regina doesn't know her. Have they hung out outside work? 

• Love 4

Actuary sounds like a job that could be done from home.  They could at least show him at his laptop at home once in a while, or hanging up from a work call before taking his dog for a walk, or playing basketball, or bouncing all over the place.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

It's been a very, very long time since we've actually seen Gary working. Other than Eddie (for obvious reasons) we see most of the core characters at work fairly often. Gary doesn't even talk about having a job.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 4

Thinking of Gina's movie catering gig--

Now, I've never been on a movie set, but I have seen the credits of movies. And aren't there a crap-ton of people on a movie set? Even if you do away with the encyclopedia-sized wall of text that is CGI technicians on many movies today (because I think they tend to work away from the actual set), you still have the cast, the director, maybe the producers, the cinematographer, interns, associate producers, assistants, makeup, costumes, hair, grips, best boys, lighting, sound technicians, camera operators, stand-ins, extras and many, many, many many other jobs that I can't quite remember off the top of my head because I'm not in the movie industry.

So, how are Gina and her friend going to be the only two catering this thing? 

Even if it's a small, independent film (and judging from that size of that trailer, I doubt that very much), there's still a lot of people to feed. And only two people to do it?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I only remember one scene where Gary was supposed to be working from Someday. When Maggie’s date didn’t show-up, he got tangled up in her drama instead.

Not only Gary, what about Eddie? How does he survive financially? Spousal support? Disability? 🤔

Financial difficulties don’t exist in AMLT universe!

Eddie could actually have some residuals from his music work? Probably not a ton, but a little. And Katharine probably would need to pay spousal support since they were married for 12 years and she was the primary source of income while Eddie took care of Theo.

I remember when Gary got fired for never showing up for work. That was the most realistic thing on TV ever, lol. Then he just magically got rehired and still never goes.

9 hours ago, Suzn said:

The thing that bugged me most is Gina chose to work there. I remember her saying she wasn't doing it because she was desperate for the money, she thought it would be good to be working. Why did she do that if she didn't really want to follow the rules.

6 hours ago, izabella said:

Don't some probations not allow people to leave the state? I can see that being a problem. But maybe they'd make an exception for someone with a good job opportunity.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I remember when Gary got fired for never showing up for work. That was the most realistic thing on TV ever, lol. Then he just magically got rehired and still never goes.

The AMLT wiki says his occupation is "Self-employed actuary" and below that lists a company name followed by "formerly." I don't really know what an actuary does so I don't know who his clients would be as a self-employed person.

9 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Don't some probations not allow people to leave the state? I can see that being a problem. But maybe they'd make an exception for someone with a good job opportunity.

Possibly but that's probably something you want to verify with your parole officer before quitting your job in dramatic fashion.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3

I looked it up.  Per the government's definition:

Actuaries analyze the financial costs of risk and uncertainty. They use mathematics, statistics, and financial theory to assess the risk of potential events, and they help businesses and clients develop policies that minimize the cost of that risk. Actuaries' work is essential to the insurance industry.

Interesting that Gary, who recklessly takes every risk, would have gone into a field that quantifies risk in order to minimize it.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The AMLT wiki says his occupation is "Self-employed actuary" and below that lists a company name followed "formerly." I don't really know what an actuary does so I don't know who his clients would be as a self-employed person.

I know someone who was an actuary and did some consulting. They do really boring stuff with numbers....Gary's clients could be insurance companies or lawyers dealing with insurance companies, and probably other corporate clients. It's definitely possible and could be very lucrative if he actually put the hours in.

I thought Gary was rehired by his old firm though. I didn't remember him saying he was now self-employed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, izabella said:

Actuary sounds like a job that could be done from home.  They could at least show him at his laptop at home once in a while, or hanging up from a work call before taking his dog for a walk, or playing basketball, or bouncing all over the place.

I do remember a while back him saying he was working from home. Not that we've ever seen that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, historylover820 said:

Now, I've never been on a movie set, but I have seen the credits of movies. And aren't there a crap-ton of people on a movie set? Even if you do away with the encyclopedia-sized wall of text that is CGI technicians on many movies today (because I think they tend to work away from the actual set), you still have the cast, the director, maybe the producers, the cinematographer, interns, associate producers, assistants, makeup, costumes, hair, grips, best boys, lighting, sound technicians, camera operators, stand-ins, extras and many, many, many many other jobs that I can't quite remember off the top of my head because I'm not in the movie industry.

So, how are Gina and her friend going to be the only two catering this thing? 

Even if it's a small, independent film (and judging from that size of that trailer, I doubt that very much), there's still a lot of people to feed. And only two people to do it?

A couple of years ago there was some filming in my city. I don't know how big the production was, but I imagine not a big one. They had a big area with tents and I believe they hired catering locally. It seems a little far fetched that a film production would need an exclusive cater. Big star might have some demands for that so maybe Shanice could demand that Regina be hired. But, as with everything else in this show, context doesn't matter much

Gary needs to be arrested and go away. The only adult in the show was Sophie. He conversation with Danny was sweet and the only thing I liked about the episode. This and her take down of Gary's bullshit. I wish I could hope it would last, but the writers wil find a way for Sophie to apologize to Gary because things are upside down.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, circumvent said:

A couple of years ago there was some filming in my city. I don't know how big the production was, but I imagine not a big one. They had a big area with tents and I believe they hired catering locally. It seems a little far fetched that a film production would need an exclusive cater. Big star might have some demands for that so maybe Shanice could demand that Regina be hired. But, as with everything else in this show, context doesn't matter much

Were there more than two people catering the film? I mean, even a local catering company for a film crew, there's got to be more than two people doing everything, right?

I am genuinely asking. I just feel even a small film production is going to be bigger than only two people to handle.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, circumvent said:

I'd think a local caterer would be preferable. How is Regina going to know where to get stuff from in Florida? Established local caterers are already going to have relationships with local suppliers. I'm sure there's much more to catering a movie set for three months than just being able to play creative chef.

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, historylover820 said:

Were there more than two people catering the film? I mean, even a local catering company for a film crew, there's got to be more than two people doing everything, right?

I am genuinely asking. I just feel even a small film production is going to be bigger than only two people to handle.

I really don't know because I didn't go in the area, just saw it from a distance. I was just making a point of the need to have a hired caterer as part of the crew instead of arranging for catering as the production moves from place to place. But I guess you  are correct, I think it would take more than just two people. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'd think a local caterer would be preferable. How is Regina going to know where to get stuff from in Florida? Established local caterers are already going to have relationships with local suppliers. I'm sure there's much more to catering a movie set for three months than just being able to play creative chef.

I looked this up and according to Wikipedia there are multiple groups that provide food on a movie set. Craft Services is a department that provides food that is always available, and this is usually done by union workers. Then production companies may also hire separate caterers or restaurants to provide full meals. I found this article from someone who used to cater for films talking about what it is like.

The summary is Regina and one person could not do it all alone. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, circumvent said:

The only adult in the show was Sophie. He conversation with Danny was sweet and the only thing I liked about the episode.

True dat. It was such a nice, realistic brother-and-sister moment with the kindly teasing and mutual caring. Amazingly well-written for this Soap and well-acted as well.

• Love 9
On 10/28/2021 at 2:47 PM, chitowngirl said:

What’s to stop Peter from now going to the police about Gary and Layla’s father (whose name I can’t remember)? If his life is imploding with his wife leaving and threatening his teaching job, I see him bringing his attackers down with him.

No Theo!

I am guessing that Peter wallows in guilt and then kills himself, thus proving Sophie right, and taking the heat off of Layla's dad and Gary, now and forever. For me though, they have pretty much ruined Gary - my favourite character and the main reason I stuck with the show this long. Short of him confessing and accepting his punishment, this really can't be redeemed. I am probably alone though in thinking that he didn't do it for selfish reasons - I think he genuinely wanted to make it better for Sophie by having him confess. Whether that's an deep-seeded subconscious need to be a hero is certainly up for debate, but I do think his intentions were unselfish, maybe even self-sacrificing. It's his willingness to involve his father and unnecessarily involving Layla's dad that ruined him for me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I am guessing that Peter wallows in guilt and then kills himself, thus proving Sophie right, and taking the heat off of Layla's dad and Gary, now and forever. For me though, they have pretty much ruined Gary - my favourite character and the main reason I stuck with the show this long. Short of him confessing and accepting his punishment, this really can't be redeemed. I am probably alone though in thinking that he didn't do it for selfish reasons - I think he genuinely wanted to make it better for Sophie by having him confess. Whether that's an deep-seeded subconscious need to be a hero is certainly up for debate, but I do think his intentions were unselfish, maybe even self-sacrificing. It's his willingness to involve his father and unnecessarily involving Layla's dad that ruined him for me.

I couldn't agree more.  I've said this several times, but they have made him a violent criminal and I really don't see possible redemption either unless he goes to jail.  That's an entirely different show.  I haven't thought that much about his motivation, just aware of his lack of impulse control.  That is a good point though about his need to be a hero.  That is a well established pattern.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I am probably alone though in thinking that he didn't do it for selfish reasons - I think he genuinely wanted to make it better for Sophie by having him confess. Whether that's an deep-seeded subconscious need to be a hero is certainly up for debate, but I do think his intentions were unselfish, maybe even self-sacrificing. It's his willingness to involve his father and unnecessarily involving Layla's dad that ruined him for me.

I don't necessarily think he was being selfish or even acting on his hero complex but I also think it is besides the point. Gary is a man-child that only reacts and doesn't think about consequences. In this sense, he does have a greater measure of narcissism, he assumes he is the one who can solve everyone else's issues. I never really like the character, now I just wish they could have him go away for as long as possible.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

It's his willingness to involve his father and unnecessarily involving Layla's dad that ruined him for me.

That was awful, but he was already dead to me after he "returned" an imposter dog to an elderly widow, and kept her beloved dog. That was unforgivable, and I lost respect for him at that point.

• Love 10
On 10/28/2021 at 11:01 AM, JH Lipton said:

Katherine's sudden switch to bi made my teeth ache.  There's never been the slightest indication that she's bi; it just reeks of tokenism.  But with her and Eddie split, they need a DRAMATIC!!!! storyline to keep her somewhat relevant.

This is a poorly written TV show... BUT I know women who have married men thinking they were straight but suppressing their bisexualty or even gayness.  I'm not sure this show is the best place to try to tackle this but it's not crazy.  I'd actually like if there were a show that kind of dealt with issues like this.  They are real

• Love 5
13 hours ago, JLaw said:

This is a poorly written TV show... BUT I know women who have married men thinking they were straight but suppressing their bisexualty or even gayness.  I'm not sure this show is the best place to try to tackle this but it's not crazy.  I'd actually like if there were a show that kind of dealt with issues like this.  They are real

I personally know at least two who married and had kids, then divorced and are now in much better marriages with other women. But this show is terrible and it feels more like a check box on their social issues to-do list.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, circumvent said:

I don't necessarily think he was being selfish or even acting on his hero complex but I also think it is besides the point. Gary is a man-child that only reacts and doesn't think about consequences. In this sense, he does have a greater measure of narcissism, he assumes he is the one who can solve everyone else's issues. I never really like the character, now I just wish they could have him go away for as long as possible.

I wonder if maybe since Gary lost his lady and now Sophie has, rightly, told him she doesn't want him in her life anymore, will we have another suicide.  Probably not.  They'll find a way to turn it around and make him the hero he wants to be.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I personally know at least two who married and had kids, then divorced and are now in much better marriages with other women. But this show is terrible and it feels more like a check box on their social issues to-do list.

I do too, and I've seen it done in other shows (though I can't think of an example right now). But this did kind of come out of the blue, and there really wasn't any build up other than a couple of comments from the actress.

Then again, for the most part, this show doesn't really do nuance and subtlety. I still like watching it, but it's like I'm always encouraging it to do the realistic, subtle, complicated things, rather than the ratings surprises things.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, TivoFan said:

That was awful, but he was already dead to me after he "returned" an imposter dog to an elderly widow, and kept her beloved dog. That was unforgivable, and I lost respect for him at that point.

I agree 100%. What about if the dog he substituted had vicious tendencies? I have always thought that was terrible and I have disliked Gary ever since.

• Love 6