Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: On the Inside

• Start Topic

Connie and Virgil hide in a house; Pope tests Daryl’s loyalty; Kelly searches for Connie.

NOTE:  AMC+ will stream each episode a week before airing on AMC.  Enter this topic at your own risk if you haven't watched yet.

AMC+ airdate: 2021.09.19    AMC airdate: 2021.09.26

Be mindful if you participate in the Live Posting Topic - that topic will follow the show as it airs on AMC, so AMC+ viewers will be one episode ahead.  DO NOT SPOIL those who are watching on AMC.

Apart from struggling with the interminable darkness, episode 6 did at least have something going on, it was good to see Connie back, another Lauren with a lovely smile.

Of all the houses, in all of the towns, they had to pick the Gollum family residence, what are the chances 😂

I need to watch it on a big screen to see if the whole idea worked or not, at least they tried something.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, GustavMahler said:

Either I completely missed an episode where Connie reappeared and was found by "Gilligan" or my retention skills are on a serious decline. I honestly cannot recall Connie being on the show since she disappeared...

IIRC, she shows up at the very end of one episode. I don't even remember if it was this season or that weird short season last spring. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GustavMahler said:

I honestly cannot recall Connie being on the show since she disappeared...

1 hour ago, Superclam said:

I don't even remember if it was this season or that weird short season last spring. 

That was ‘A Certain Doom’ shown last October.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, GustavMahler said:

Either I completely missed an episode where Connie reappeared and was found by "Gilligan" or my retention skills are on a serious decline. I honestly cannot recall Connie being on the show since she disappeared...

Neither Daryl's "girlfriend" from last week, (Gilligan" who the fuck is he?) Or the bunch of kids abandoned from their parents in the middle of the apocalyse.   

For most of the cast coming back this season... I did not care from the beginning and I dont care now, including Maggie. (not the one from the forum, the one from the show!) 

For the last seasons, I was mostly watching it to laugh with the people of this forum but since they all left.

I am keeping on til the end, but it is very hard not to pull the plug.

All the stuff in the house makes no sense: "We are not alone even if we checked first"... What? 

Does not matter, walking with the knife in the pants, like he don't care after falling into a trap...🤪

Darryl cuting fingers for fun and father killer is still not happy.

I love you, that's why I'm bad if you want me to...🤣

And Dog?  Where is Dog?  Who cares?🙄

Fuck...😔

Edited by heisenberg
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

"Neither Daryl's "girlfriend" from last week, (Gilligan" who the fuck is he?) Or the bunch of kids abandoned from their parents in the middle of the apocalyse"

I do not recall the name of that whack job who lived on the island who met up with Michonne. He is the dude with Connie now so I gave him the Gilligan place holder since I do not give a shit what these cardboard cutouts are actually named....

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

The bad:

Daryl and Cult Members band - boring, boring, boring.  Don't care.   I didn't realize that guy being tortured was part of Maggie's group on the journey of the damned until see everyone hiding in the basement.

The good:

I was very entertained by Connie and Virgil (?) in the house of horrors.   I didn't think Connie was ever in any danger but wasn't sure about Virgil.  It was tense and fun.  I laughed quite a bit at the feral people - not the show's intention but hey, it was entertaining.  I liked the horror music they used.  I hope Virgil survives.   When Virgil was approaching the wall and we see feral guy creeping behind him...eeek....well done, show. 

I like Kelly too so the brief searching scenes and the reunion worked for me.  The show is better when people work together for a good purpose.

The Reapers stuff is just so....dull.  We've been there, so many times.  Blech.

ETA:  I watch the AMC+ after ep blurb and for this one, Angela Kang says "No one could predict that Pope would kill guy-Daryl-tortured" and I'm all "are you kidding me???  what else would he do with him"  lol.

• Like 1
  • Love 12
13 minutes ago, raven said:

The Reapers stuff is just so....dull.  We've been there, so many times.  Blech.

You said it.  Just some group attacking others at random like the Saviors, but without the overwhelming numbers.  They have to see that they would be much better off working with others instead of attacking them, right?  I mean, bull-rushing into every battle without a strategy just continues to dwindle their numbers, right?

What would be really interesting, and where I would give the writers credit, is if we found out that Maggie was to the Reapers what Negan was to Alexandria, and the Reapers are just trying to get vengeance on Maggie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
On 9/20/2021 at 7:36 PM, econ07 said:

You said it.  Just some group attacking others at random like the Saviors, but without the overwhelming numbers.  They have to see that they would be much better off working with others instead of attacking them, right?  I mean, bull-rushing into every battle without a strategy just continues to dwindle their numbers, right?

What would be really interesting, and where I would give the writers credit, is if we found out that Maggie was to the Reapers what Negan was to Alexandria, and the Reapers are just trying to get vengeance on Maggie.

I see the Reapers as a rehash of the Saviors as well. Pope is just Negan, but with military training and a real (albeit small) military, rather than just a horde of minions with guns. The other difference is that, at least the Saviors had some motivation. They were basically feudal warlords. They had their people, and they forced other communities to provide for them, or face brutal punishment. The Reapers attack others, because...um...why is that again? Did I miss some kind of pontificating speech about why they're decimating other groups? I got their backstory, sort of, because the volume was so low, I couldn't make out much. It just seems like they treat other groups as an enemy that needs to be eliminated. Didn't quite hear why.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 9/20/2021 at 8:18 PM, raven said:

ETA:  I watch the AMC+ after ep blurb and for this one, Angela Kang says "No one could predict that Pope would kill guy-Daryl-tortured" and I'm all "are you kidding me???  what else would he do with him"  lol.

I half expected them to play "Stuck in the Middle with You" 

• LOL 1

Random thoughts:

Not a bad episode. A lot of action and suspense. Connie story was a little scary, even if unoriginal. 

We all know that Daryl, Maggie, Negan and probably Gabriel will be there until the end. And we know that Pope and the mean guy Daryl was fighting with are going to die in a horrific way. And that takes a lot of the suspense out of it. I don't even know why they're doing the Reapers thing. Is there not enough Commonwealth material? The Commonwealth story is clearly the end game here. 

Is Virgil dead? It looked like it. I'm not sure of the overall point of his story. 

Unpopular opinion: I've thought this since he first appeared, and I think I've mentioned it here: Daryl is an interesting character, and Norman Reedus seems like a nice guy, but he is an awful actor. He can really only do the grunting/brooding thing. 

• Love 8

I was up at 2:00 am and decided to watch this before the air date and I have to say it was a good episode. I was happy that Virgil explained himself because I've been worrying non stop that he was going to hurt Connie.

By the way, the next episode was already available for viewing. Look forward to talking about that one.

• Love 4

I never thought I'd be watching a battle on this show clearly expected to be rooting for the walkers but I also never expected to be writing a sentence about a fight between walkers and feral underpants Gollums, so here we are.

The Wes Craven house maybe wasn't the most original premise but it was extremely well done. Lauren Ridloff is also an extremely expressive actress. So that half of the episode worked pretty well for me. It's rare, especially this far into it, that the show remembers how to be genuinely scary as opposed to just gross or nihilistic. TTD hemmed and hawed around a bit trying to explain the feral Gollum bunch, but it seems like if you've stuck with the franchise this long through various cannibals, people who wear corpse skins, motormouthed dick enthusiast warlords, and junkyard art troupes, they probably figured you'll just go with it that some 11 years after the world ended some people just devolved to the point of not being human anymore. I wasn't sure whether we were supposed to think Virgil was alive or dead at the end of the episode either, but I also don't really care either way.

I agree with whoever above said that the only way this Reaper story really makes any sense or treads any new ground is if they actually are targeting Maggie and anyone who comes between them and her because she colossally fucked them over somehow. Otherwise it's yet another round of tedious baddies who kill for the sake of killing, rinse and repeat, but oh, this time their hook is that they're quasi-military. I'm always going to play with my phone if you insist on showing me torture scenes, show, so maybe just skip to the end on that.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 9/19/2021 at 4:41 PM, GustavMahler said:

Either I completely missed an episode where Connie reappeared and was found by "Gilligan"

On 9/20/2021 at 12:15 AM, heisenberg said:

Neither Daryl's "girlfriend" from last week, (Gilligan" who the fuck is he?)

Does not matter, walking with the knife in the pants, like he don't care after falling into a trap...

🤪

Fuck...😔

On 9/22/2021 at 7:17 AM, Superclam said:

Random thoughts:

Not a bad episode.

Is Virgil dead? It looked like it. I'm not sure of the overall point of his story.

52 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

I never expected to be watching a battle on this show clearly expected to be rooting for the walkers but I also never expected to be writing a sentence about a fight between walkers and feral underpants Gollums, so here we are.

I wasn't sure whether we were supposed to think Virgil was alive or dead at the end of the episode either, but I also don't really care either way

More and more it's looking like poor Gilligan Virgil was nothing but a plot device, intended to #1 separate Michonne from her children and the entire show (because she is actually very busy in Wakanda ...forever) and #2 bring Connie back into the show...Eternally. Long live Gilligan Plot Device Virgil

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Does the show honestly expect us to remember who the hell Virgil is? They could have at least included one of his scenes with Michone in the Previouslys. I barely care about any of these characters as it is. The cast is just so bloated and they keep throwing extra characters at us. 

Why didn't Maggie's guy give up Daryl when he was being tortured? I would have. 

I've asked this before, but what happened to Luke? Did they kill him off and I don't remember? Magna's still around, so are Connie and Kelly and Yumiko, but I don't remember seeing Luke since maybe last season.

And where is Dog?

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I've asked this before, but what happened to Luke? Did they kill him off and I don't remember? Magna's still around, so are Connie and Kelly and Yumiko, but I don't remember seeing Luke since maybe last season.

I had to think hard about who that was, but you're right, we haven't seen him in a while. I know the actor is currently filming, so that's the IRL explanation. They haven't mentioned him on the show that I recall. 

• Useful 1

I was impressed with this one, mostly the quiet scenes when we were with Connie.  She does good horror.  However, do all houses have big ass spaces between the walls for people to walk in?  I've seen quite a few movies/shows with that trope.  I know my house doesn't.

41 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Why didn't Maggie's guy give up Daryl when he was being tortured? I would have. 

Shit, I'da been giving up everyone and everything.  But I don't think he gave up anything.  I think Pope and sidekick were just messing with Daryl.

On 9/20/2021 at 8:36 PM, econ07 said:

This would be awesome, but I'm not sure the writers are that smart.  Since we've had no explanation about why they're doing what they're doing, it would be perfect.

Also, why did they make their last run maskless?  Every other time they've been out, they've worn masks.  Maybe they didn't want Daryl to feel left out.

I really want to see more of the Commonwealth.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

The crawly humans were just stupid, sorry.

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but all this time I thought Kelly was a dude.  The only reason I know she's a girl is because they said on Talking Dead that she was Connie's sister.  

I guess Daryl is going to try to persuade Leah that Pope is nuts.  Shouldn't be that hard.  I only wonder if she will survive, and if she will be part of the new Daryl/Carol spinoff.  My gut feeling is no.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
54 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but all this time I thought Kelly was a dude.  The only reason I know she's a girl is because they said on Talking Dead that she was Connie's sister.  

I thought Kelly was a dude, too, until last night.  Also, I wonder how she can keep that hairstyle like it is.  I guess there's a barber somewhere?

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 9/27/2021 at 12:33 PM, madmax said:

Also, why did they make their last run maskless?  Every other time they've been out, they've worn masks.  Maybe they didn't want Daryl to feel left out.

Ya, I didn't notice that but you're right.  Just more weak writing breaking the 4th wall.  Since the viewers have seen them, they don't need masks anymore.

• Love 4

So this show actually does remember how to be scary, I thought they had totally forgotten. Connie and Virgil in the house of horrors was actually pretty good, suspenseful, a bit funny (maybe not intentionally) and actually managed to be creepy. I hope that Virgil survived, its not looking great, but people on this show have certainly survived worse. The feral humans were at least different, kind of goofy but also pretty unnerving, I thought that whole plot was quite entertaining, with good performances and a spooky haunted house astrosphere that I really liked. This show hardly even seems like a horror show anymore, its been more gross than scary for awhile, so this was a welcome change. 

What's the opposite of a welcome change? An annoying retread of the same thing we have already had a million times before. The Reapers really are just a copy and paste job of every other band of idiots who murder people for no reason under the thumb of some dickhead who the show thinks is really cool who decide to go after the main characters, its just so boring. The saviors, the Wolves, the Whispers, its just the same song with a slightly different tune, I just do not care. Every time they're on screen, I end up just scrolling on my phone waiting for the camera to focus on something else, especially annoying this week when the other main plot was actually pretty decent. Unless they pull something out of their ass about why these guys are any different than any of these other packs of jackasses, this is a really big waste of time.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I still can't get over Pope's similarity in terms of looks to Phil Collins.  Every time Pope pops up on screen, either a Genesis or Phil Collins song pops into my head, depending upon what is going on in said scene.

I see Popeye. I don't know why they didn't give him a corncob pipe. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I still can't get over Pope's similarity in terms of looks to Phil Collins.  Every time Pope pops up on screen, either a Genesis or Phil Collins song pops into my head, depending upon what is going on in said scene.

Gosh, I’m sorry.

• LOL 4
22 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Thanks I am stuck with it now.  Every time I will see him it will be "I don't care anymore, no more, no more"!  

• LOL 4
On 9/29/2021 at 6:34 PM, icemiser69 said:

He'd make a good puppet in that Land of Confusion video.

14 hours ago, Superclam said:

I see Popeye. I don't know why they didn't give him a corncob pipe. 

Well, they are both military men.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 9/19/2021 at 4:44 PM, OoohMaggie said:

Of all the houses, in all of the towns, they had to pick the Gollum family residence, what are the chances

I was thinking more along the line of the girl who crawls out of the tv in The Ring

On 9/20/2021 at 12:15 AM, heisenberg said:

And Dog?  Where is Dog?  Who cares?

Me - I certainly do!

On 9/20/2021 at 8:18 PM, raven said:

I like Kelly too so the brief searching scenes and the reunion worked for me

My first thought when Kelly came in for a hug was, "EWWWW, Connie's covered in walker guts!)

I am seriously over Pope.  Like.....he can take his incessant gum/tobacco chewing self off my screen.  I loathe characters like that, but in the ZA, some of these groups that form are always going to have some sort of sadistic leader

• Love 1

I just watched this episode last Friday night and I made my husband (who HATES this show) come and sit with me because I was getting scared. I loved that they filmed Connie fleeing down the hall and there was no sound. It really did scare me. I was really happy about that. I do not like torture stuff- like at all! I am grateful for this episode because I doubt that I will have another one that I really like in a while.

Other sad note- It seems like just yesterday that I would be wading through 5 pages on here to comment because I didn't want to be redundant, but now that isn't an issue....... sad

• Love 3

This week on "Deadliest Warrior...

Cannibalistic Mowgli Cosplayer versus... Actual Fucking Zombie That Does Not Care if it is Bitten by a Human!"

I can not wait to catch up on my Live Commentary Thread reading to see what everyone here's reactions were during this episode.

• Wink 1