Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E09: Could this be love?

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Just want to say that this place looks wonderful and I would LOVE it. The prices are not that out of line for what the restaurant is, or where it is. (I'm from Boston.)  Would I eat at a restaurant like this several times a month? Probably not, but this place offers a lot of what I'm looking for when I want to treat myself.  I'm a little disappointed that the cocktail menu was not included on the website. 

BTW, I can't stand going out with someone who scrutinizes a menu and says "How much for a ....?"  Just a pet peeve of mine. I have so many friends who tell me when they go out with their husbands (or on dates) for dinner and want to order a drink and the hubbies are all like "$9 for a glass of wine, no way!" and then I thank my lucky stars I am no longer married. 😄

I can order what I want without someone commenting on it. 👍

Alcohol should have a 3X retail price multiple max.  If it is 5X multiple, it is way to expensive for the value- unless it a special celebration.  I was on a date and she ordered a $50 glass of champagne.  I had a $7 beer. Their is being cheat and then their is not being ripped off. I think Gil is being reasonable.  He probably could afford to take her out twice a month max- unless they went to different restaurants, which Myrla doesnt want to do. Gil could take her to Torchy's Tacos in Rice Village twice a week, and that would count as going out.  But that is to low class for her.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, CSunshine76 said:

Gladly, and Go Cowboys!

A cookout is grilling…hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, etc.

A BBQ in Texas involves a smoker…we smoke our meats…brisket, sausage, chicken, turkey etc. and it is an event!

Everyone I know distinguishes between the two. And in fact while watching I texted a friend that had already watched and said I’m curious as to if it was an actual BBQ..she told me to be ready to be disappointed in all of them! 

I lived in Texas for 10 wonderful years…back in Wisconsin now.  I said the same thing to my tv “cook out!!!!”   Up here though, it’s a barbecue. 
My hubby has a feminine side, he’s a sensitive man.  Fairly certain he’s not gay lol. Or bisexual  

Random thoughts: 
I can’t see the straight hair parted in the middle thing as pretty, either. 
Rachel looked beautiful with her hair down and curled and her glasses on. She has pretty eyes. 
Ryan talked about the ranch and roping etc, yet we’ve seen none of that.  I had rancher friends when I lived in Texas (I own a horse) and that was their life.  They would surely have brought a new wife out to the ranch first time there was an opportunity.  So I’m side-eying that for now. 
I was cringing for Bao in the parasite scene.  I thought it was somewhat cute but Johnny clearly didn’t, despite the half smiles.  I’m one of those that silly people can bug me, but I’m not on team Johnny Neurotic.  
Gil?   Hottie!!!!  
Jose?  Shut up.  No one wants to hear all that.  Remember when he took Rachel to his house for the first time?  Blah blah blah blah blah…..

Myrla.  I like her.  I too love to eat out at nice places.  If she pays for it and for Gil to eat too, what’s wrong with that?  I don’t think she will keep score, but I think Gil will.  Shoot, he thinks 350/month for groceries is a lot.  It’s just my hubby and me here (I’m sure that’s improper English lol) and we spend, uh, a lot more than that.  But we get ribeye and salmon and yummy things. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Twice a month if they are both chipping in or taking turns paying which married people do then I don't see it as a big deal. Twice a week with only Gil paying, then big deal. That's not what she's asking for. If Gil wants a woman that is happy staying home every night and going to Wendy's once a month then maybe that's why he is (or was) still single. 

Myrla wants to go out at least six times a month to places like this.  I think premium drinks are $18-$80 per drink.  So do the math.  Even if they were able to get out for only $200 per visit, that is $1200 a month, $15K a year.  And that is if they only go out to a restaurant and dont go anywhere else.  I think Gil makes $50K-max. After taxes and deductions, $35K before expenses.  $15K/$35K = 43% of his take home income.  And that is only if they go to a restaurant and nothing else, which is not realistic. Gil doesn't want to stay home.  He have a very limited budget. But he is embarrassed to admit it. Myrla should order the caviar and lobster and then make Gil pay for it.

So it makes me wonder, what was her intent?

I think that Brett is all in and she is trying to show this. And if she were matched with a guy who was into her, I think he would have been flattered. I don't think that Ryan is into Brett at all (except perhaps as a friend) so it was awkward.

He have a very limited budget. But he is embarrassed to admit it.

I don't get the sense that Gil is embarrassed to admit that he doesn't make a huge salary. I think he has said that he's not really motivated by money. He said he was a personal trainer before he was a firefighter and while some of them earn a high income, I think those are generally mid-range jobs as well. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, glitterpussy said:

Not ever! Separate checks are the tackiest. In this Great Brunch Debate, my opinion is Myrla should pay if she chose the place.

Not sure why separate checks are the tackiest.  Is that just between couples?  What if one person eats shrimp cocktail and no drinks? (They are on a diet) and the other pulls out the stops, with special drinks and three course dinner and coffee.  What’s tacky then?

• Love 5
On 9/15/2021 at 6:16 PM, Straycat80 said:

If Gil was giving me a foot rub I certainly wouldn’t  be on my phone. And then she doesn’t even appreciate it! 

I'm really curious. WHY doesn't she appreciate practically all of his romantic gestures? Is it because they're not her love language (EXPENSIVE gifts, I suspect), or because they're not close so it comes off weird??? Maybe it's both. How she responds is totally wrong. Soon, he won't do ANYTHING because she's not pleased so why bother? Shame.

Edited by Lindz
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Gator Stud said:

Torchy's Tacos

Count me in, I love Torchy's Taco's!  They use to be just a food truck but now a walk in restaurant, the menu seemed more interesting when they just had a truck but so good anyway.

Gil may want to save going out for a special occasion, he may worry that if going to an upscale restaurant on a random Tuesday might not seem so special for a birthday.  He has to bend a little but I get how he feels money aside.  Myrla could try for a month of not going out and see how much money she would save, they could meet in the middle and compromise, sometimes that is what a good relationship is about but I guess they should get the intimacy thing worked on before they worry about restaurants.  Gil might be able to be talked in to going out more if while at home they were, you know,,,knocking boots, Myrla has got to grease the skids a bit, they can each get what they want to some degree.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Maximadc said:

my couples:

Ryan and Myrla

Johnny and Bao

Gill and Britt

Zack and Rachel

Jose and a new girl

I love how Michaela isn't even on the list! Although I wonder how it would have gone if she and Zach swapped with Britt and Ryan. Ryan would have driven her up the wall!

12 hours ago, Gator Stud said:

Myrla wants to go out at least six times a month to places like this.  I think premium drinks are $18-$80 per drink.  So do the math.  Even if they were able to get out for only $200 per visit, that is $1200 a month, $15K a year.  And that is if they only go out to a restaurant and dont go anywhere else.  I think Gil makes $50K-max. After taxes and deductions, $35K before expenses.  $15K/$35K = 43% of his take home income.  And that is only if they go to a restaurant and nothing else, which is not realistic. Gil doesn't want to stay home.  He have a very limited budget. But he is embarrassed to admit it. Myrla should order the caviar and lobster and then make Gil pay for it.

This level of financial analysis beats Jose and his whiteboard! I think Myrla's a drag, but her most redeeming feature is her self-awareness. She KNOWS she's a pain-in-the-ass. Gil's judgy "jokes" were funny at first, but it does seem as if he can't stop picking at her.  Myrla got a taste of her own medicine when Gil claimed he doesn't like sunsets, but I can't see her harping on it later the way Gil does ("Wanna watch Twilight? I guess not since you hate sunsets!").

Edited by Vanderboom
  • Love 4

GIL is the one who brings up the topic that what Myrla buys and prefers is "expensive" ALL THE GD TIME. Gil "ribs" her about it incessantly to where I'm like "Right on cue, pal." 

Has Myrla ever dragged Gil about his earnings or spending? I recall one conversation where Gil said he sent money to family in Colombia (correct?), but I don't remember Myrla responding with any questioning or mocking or sarcastic comment. She also hasn't questioned what Gil spends on his dog per month/year. 

Each couple has been "assigned" a theme, a story line that TPTB emphasize. IMO, 

Myrla/Gil = Money.

Rachel/Jose = Power.

Michaela/Zach = Communication.

Brett/Ryan = Emotion.

Bao/Johnny = Intimacy. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Kira53 said:

Not sure why separate checks are the tackiest.  Is that just between couples?  What if one person eats shrimp cocktail and no drinks? (They are on a diet) and the other pulls out the stops, with special drinks and three course dinner and coffee.  What’s tacky then?

I'll eat my proverbial hat if anyone here knows a married couple who ask for separate checks! With a couple just dating, that's a romance-killer right there!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Lindz said:

I'm really curious. WHY doesn't she appreciate practically all of his romantic gestures. Is it because they're not her love language (EXPENSIVE gifts, I suspect), or because they're not close so it comes off weird??? Maybe it's both. How she responds is totally wrong. Soon, he won't do ANYTHING because she's not pleased so why bother? Shame.

Because Myrla is not attracted to Gil romantically! Jeepers cats, do people think she was kidding about her dislikes?! 

Now, Myrla might show me as an idiot who accepted her word, if she chooses to stay married. But right now she's acting convincingly that she is not interested. Gil might as well be Big Edd or Coltee ("90DF"). 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 6

The irony is HILARIOUS!!!! Johnny said he feels like Bao is being judgey when all he does is judge her!!! Michaela is (FINALLY) scared (to act a damn fool) when Zack's been scared of how crazy she'll react to his mistakes. They want what they won't even give in the first place!! ABSURD! 

• Love 4
On 9/16/2021 at 5:43 AM, mythoughtis said:

Gil could have  voiced his concerns in a nicer quieter tone about Myrla just wanting a warm body to be out and about with. However, I think he was totally on point in regards to the his concerns. She does not care who sits across from her as long as they are dressed nicely and know which fork to use.

Myrla totally blew that & now that concern will stick. Maybe she does just want an accessory husband. I'm surprised he didn't walk out when she said, "I really want you to have brunch with me." NOT FUNNY. 😞😒 He seems to be the only one giving & she just cares about what she wants. No good.

• Love 4
On 9/16/2021 at 6:05 AM, Empress1 said:

Michaela saying that she freaks out because Zach makes her mad is a hallmark abusive line. “Well, if you didn’t make me so mad, I wouldn’t have to …” HUGE red flag.

EXACTLY!!! He didn't make her react that way!!! SHE'S responsible for that. That's all he had to say. Not that stupid analogy. I mean, the tree? Useless. Waste of time. 😒😒 Just say that unhealthy, unproductive behavior is unacceptable.

• Love 2

🚨SHADY EDITORS ALERT🚨

Rachel said her husband talks a lot, cut to him talking to Brett, Myrla, & Gil starting off normal, then he talks about her liking green eggs & ham??? WTF?!! Ya. He rambles. He likes the sound of his own voice too much & it's an annoying voice at that! 😅😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Gator Stud said:

He is embarrassed to admit that to America.  That's why he didnt say that. Even though any viewer with a calculator and internet could figure that out.  I think he will eventually quit the force to get a higher paying job.

Maybe he just thinks it's a waste of money to go to a showy place? 

And, why should he quit and find another job if this is something he loves doing?

• Love 6

🚨SHADY "EXPERTS" ALERT🚨

WHO were they talking about when they said they have to talk action to grow feelings, not expect them to drop out of the sky??? 😉 Did they tell Ryan that to his face? Seems like they didn't since Brett was saying that to Gil, Myrla, & Jose. It's so dumb. How could he even say that stupidness?? 😅😂

• Love 1

Ugh. Both Johnny & Bao were wrong. She should ask him & not guess or decide what he's feeling. It's stupid not to confirm & comes off like she doesn't care. & Johnny says he lets her know so she won't be blindsided, so keep that open sharing energy! WHY is he now complaining that she doesn't ask??? ICANTEVEN with him!!!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Lindz said:

I'm really curious. WHY doesn't she appreciate practically all of his romantic gestures? Is it because they're not her love language (EXPENSIVE gifts, I suspect), or because they're not close so it comes off weird??? Maybe it's both. How she responds is totally wrong. Soon, he won't do ANYTHING because she's not pleased so why bother? Shame.

I dont think you understand.  Gil is auditioning for when after he gets divorced, when 100's of women will be flooding his cell phone. He almost seems like the perfect guy! He massages your feet!  He offers to cook!  He has a quick wit! He flexes his muscles while he smiles!  He has all of the Box Checked, as Jose likes to say.  He is gonna kill it with the women after this show is over. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

I love how Michaela isn't even on the list! Although I wonder how it would have gone if she and Zach swapped with Britt and Ryan. Ryan would have driven her up the wall!

This level of financial analysis beats Jose and his whiteboard! I think Myrla's a drag, but her most redeeming feature is her self-awareness. She KNOWS she's a pain-in-the-ass. Gil's judgy "jokes" were funny at first, but it does seem as if he can't stop picking at her.  Myrla got a taste of her own medicine when Gil claimed he doesn't like sunsets, but I can't see her harping on it later the way Gil does ("Wanna watch Twilight? I guess not since you hate sunsets!").

I kinda do this for a living for corporations.  I couldn't understand Jose's whiteboard either.  Bro's gotta get Excel.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

GIL is the one who brings up the topic that what Myrla buys and prefers is "expensive" ALL THE GD TIME. Gil "ribs" her about it incessantly to where I'm like "Right on cue, pal." 

The first time I saw a friend by a $1200 purse my teeth almost fell out. I wasnt used to that at all.  Then my first trip to LA, I went into stores where tanktops cost $750, I could not even understand.  But that was only because I was broke at that time in my life.  I think Gil is going through some sticker shock.  When your take home pay is $35K, one pair of Myrlas shoes = 4%  of your entire yearly cashflow. Thats the way Gil looks at it.  If he took her on a nice trip to Paris, it would be like 33% of his take home pay?  When does he actually pay his bills and save up for a house?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Gator Stud said:

I dont think you understand.  Gil is auditioning for when after he gets divorced, when 100's of women will be flooding his cell phone. He almost seems like the perfect guy! He massages your feet!  He offers to cook!  He has a quick wit! He flexes his muscles while he smiles!  He has all of the Box Checked, as Jose likes to say.  He is gonna kill it with the women after this show is over. 

If I could ♥️ this 1,000X I would!!!  You are 100% correct!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 9/16/2021 at 12:31 AM, ChiMama said:

And the “don’t go away — you don’t want to miss what’s next!” Before EVERY break. What is this - the 1960s? I think that’s how long that phrase has been around. 

I hateee the way she says , “ roll the clip .” I don’t know why , just the way she says it is annoying . 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Gator Stud said:

Gil could take her to Torchy's Tacos in Rice Village twice a week, and that would count as going out.  But that is to low class for her.

There are a lot of people who object to counter-service places when going out.  And in Myrla's case, I can see her wanting some place with table service if she only occasionally goes out to eat, because it's more of an event.

I eat out almost every day because I don't like to cook, so this explosion in quick service restaurants is great for me because I just want to be fed with something I like, and I generally don't like traditional fast food (McDonald's, Taco Bell).  (And I avoid table-service places because I object to the grossly inequitable tipping system.)

But for someone like Myrla, who isn't eating out just to be fed, I can see eschewing places like Torchy's, and not because they're too low class, but because they just don't offer what she's looking for in the experience.

On 9/16/2021 at 7:56 PM, ChiMama said:

Sorry, but this all presupposes Myrla’s statements on Unfiltered are honest. I’m not feeling charitable enough to believe either one of these claims from her. 

She doesn't come off as untruthful to me at all. 

3 hours ago, Gator Stud said:

Gil is auditioning for when after he gets divorced, when 100's of women will be flooding his cell phone. He almost seems like the perfect guy! He massages your feet!  He offers to cook!  He has a quick wit! He flexes his muscles while he smiles!  He has all of the Box Checked, as Jose likes to say.  He is gonna kill it with the women after this show is over. 

He hates sunsets.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

There goes Johnny judging & complaining AGAIN!!! WHAT ELSE IS NEW??!! I really can't stand when guys do that sh*t. If you got a problem, SAY SOMETHING!!! Tell her to chill out. WHAT GOOD is keeping it to yourself & counting it against her?!! He looks even more like a punk for complaining to the cameras. If he wanted flirting & tension, HE SHOULD'VE DONE IT!!!!! UGH!

• Love 3

I wonder who had them split into groups of 3, not the usual guys/girls. 🤔 Too bad for those stuck with rambling José. 😂 Brett probably hopes they'll tell Ryan to take action. The 3 troubled husbands, 2 of which are doing better & letting the 3rd say stupid stuff about waiting for the spark. 😂 I wonder why so few picked José & Rachel to say, "I love you." That's a dumb milestone to pick, but eh. Probably the producers.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:
On 9/16/2021 at 7:56 PM, ChiMama said:

Sorry, but this all presupposes Myrla’s statements on Unfiltered are honest. I’m not feeling charitable enough to believe either one of these claims from her. 

5 hours ago, Gator Stud said:

Agree to disagree. Nothing Myrla has said or shown of herself so far aligns with someone who cooks for herself (and certainly not Gil!) three meals a day (MAYBE Freshly or similar) or enjoys the mundane pleasure of watching a sunset. Actually seems like things she would turn up her nose at while making a bitchy comment. Yeah, maybe she’s “misunderstood,” but she is in control of what she says & does on the show and it hasn’t been great (one producer-provided plate of chocolate chip cookies aside).

Edited by ChiMama
  • Love 5
57 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

He hates sunsets.

Again — says Myrla. He seemed happy to do it several evenings on their honeymoon. He doesn’t come off as a “hates sunsets” kind of guy TBH. Maybe he was excited to do the foot rub for her & thought she’d appreciate it, but she visibly & vocally crapped on that gesture. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But for someone like Myrla, who isn't eating out just to be fed, I can see eschewing places like Torchy's, and not because they're too low class, but because they just don't offer what she's looking for in the experience.

He hates sunsets.

Nooooo!!!  I can’t imagine anyone eschewing Torchy’s!  

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, ChiMama said:

Again — says Myrla. He seemed happy to do it several evenings on their honeymoon.

I see Myrla's indifference to Gil as a sensory turn-off so he responds in the most indifferent manner.  I believe that with the right mate, Gil would LOVE sunsets!!

• Love 8
15 hours ago, ChiMama said:

Agree to disagree. Nothing Myrla has said or shown of herself so far aligns with someone who cooks for herself (and certainly not Gil!) three meals a day (MAYBE Freshly or similar) or enjoys the mundane pleasure of watching a sunset. Actually seems like things she would turn up her nose at while making a bitchy comment. Yeah, maybe she’s “misunderstood,” but she is in control of what she says & does on the show and it hasn’t been great (one producer-provided plate of chocolate chip cookies aside).

I can see cooking for herself and by herself being one of her motivations to apply for this show and a spouse. It specifically was for that goofy AJ who was matched with a very understanding Stephanie!

Also, there are sunsets and then there are sunsets

Re: Long hair parted in the middle. I see some of you missed 1967--1980. ✌

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • LOL 3

Nothing Myrla has said or shown of herself so far aligns with someone who cooks for herself (and certainly not Gil!) three meals a day

I don't have a problem believing that Myrla cooks three meals a day. She said she works from home so I'm guessing breakfast and lunch are pretty straightforward and easy. She might cook dinners or get prepared food at the grocery store and cook it - or maybe she does Hello Fresh or something. But I can believe that she doesn't eat out every meal or even order in every meal.

• Love 2
On 9/17/2021 at 6:26 PM, Jeanne222 said:

Did I hear Mryla tell Jamie she cooks three meals each day every day?

Heck if she does that she deserves brunch twice a month and much more!

Popping a package of oatmeal in the microwave is cooking?  Or spreading avocado on toast?  Being she eats healthy.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ChiMama said:

Nothing Myrla has said or shown of herself so far aligns with someone who cooks for herself (and certainly not Gil!) three meals a day (MAYBE Freshly or similar)

Actually, when Myrla said that she was going to make Gil some keto chocolate chip cookies, it makes sense. Sometimes it is just easier to make your own meals and since she does work from home, that means three meals a day. It does get OLD and I can totally understand her need to go out to eat a nice brunch and a dinner or two. 

• Love 6

Johnny gets on my nerves more than anyone this season . So when you’re married , all is well and good when you’re having fun and having intimate moments , but the second you disagree about something or encounter a small difference , the person isn’t right for you ? He tears this poor woman apart . He was mad that she wanted to paint a nice picture rather than just flirt with him the entire time . He is just soo immature , needy and not at all ready to even have a girlfriend let alone a wife . 

Ryan is one of those on the show who claim to be very attracted to his wife yet clearly isn’t . I actually didn’t  find brett attractive at all At first but as the episodes are going on , she’s getting better . But it seems like as Ryan gets to know her , he’s not feeling the same way . 

The fact that Myrla can’t peck Gil on the lips is insane yet will get MARRIED to a stranger . He’s being way too nice to her in my opinion. Myrlas the type of girl who needs a dickhead as a partner so he will put her in her place . She can’t be with a nice guy . 

• Like 1
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Count me in, I love Torchy's Taco's!  They use to be just a food truck but now a walk in restaurant, the menu seemed more interesting when they just had a truck but so good anyway.

Gil may want to save going out for a special occasion, he may worry that if going to an upscale restaurant on a random Tuesday might not seem so special for a birthday.  He has to bend a little but I get how he feels money aside.  Myrla could try for a month of not going out and see how much money she would save, they could meet in the middle and compromise, sometimes that is what a good relationship is about but I guess they should get the intimacy thing worked on before they worry about restaurants.  Gil might be able to be talked in to going out more if while at home they were, you know,,,knocking boots, Myrla has got to grease the skids a bit, they can each get what they want to some degree.

Too much eating out, buying shoes, all expensive things.  When you care for someone, you don’t care about eating out.  As long as you are together, who gives a shit where you are.  Myrla is all about satisfying herself.  Order a damn pizza, open up a beer and get to know your husband.  Everything is about HER.  What about him?  Does she even ask him all about his job?  She just sits there and thinks “adore me”, give me.  GTFOOH.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Order a damn pizza, open up a beer

You just described my Saturday night with my husband this weekend, I don't need to go to an upscale restaurant every date night, it's nice but being together watching The Wedding Singer is fun too.  Myrla is all about optics.  Gil will get tired of trying to entertain and adore her.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

When you care for someone, you don’t care about eating out.  As long as you are together, who gives a shit where you are.

I agree and especially want to point out how unsatisfying it must be for Myrla to dwell on material things (like expensive clothes/restaurants) to try and achieve happiness with Gil who has completely different values than she does.

My father always told me that when you have passion for your work (profession/career) the $$$ will flow in naturally.  I believe Gil is in he infancy of his firefighting career and he already stated that he loves what he does!  Therefore, he should stick with it and develop his skills and talent and gain the experience he will need to climb the ladder (pun😊) of success in what can only be seen as a very noble "calling"!

When Myrla directly stated (several times) that money was her prime motivator in life I felt kind of sad for her knowing (from my vantage point of being much older than she is) that money is GREAT, but even greater is how a person enjoys life with a committed partner (spouse).  I do give Myrla credit, however, for being honest and up front with her priorities so she never had to lead Gil on in the romance department.  

From what Myrla stated, I have suggested (in previous threads) that she hook up with a wealthy older man who will presumably indulge every whim and financial fancy to achieve companionship with her (and whatever else the relationship calls for).  That's just my opinion.  

Gil is in a different category.  He's authentically seeking love and romance and I believe he'll find it after the cameras are off and the show concludes.

• Love 6

Popping a package of oatmeal in the microwave is cooking?  Or spreading avocado on toast?  Being she eats healthy.

Sure - I count it as "cooking." Point is, she isn't going out for every meal every day.

My father always told me that when you have passion for your work (profession/career) the $$$ will flow in naturally. 

I wish that was true but it just... isn't. There are plenty of wonderful careers staffed by people who are passionate about them, but they just don't pay. Gil may one day be fire chief and that may pay a higher salary but like most fields, the number of higher paid, leadership positions is smaller than the number of lower paid, direct service positions. I think it's great that Gil is a firefighter. We need them. They are heroes and I could never do that job. But no matter how passionate he is about it, he's never going to earn a high salary doing it.

Too much eating out, buying shoes, all expensive things.  When you care for someone, you don’t care about eating out.  As long as you are together, who gives a shit where you are.

I don't think that brunch every weekend for a dual income/no kids couple is too much. But even if it is, Myrla said she asked Gil to watch a sunset on the balcony with her and his response was that he didn't like sunsets. So she has suggested at least one free activity and he didn't go for it.

I love my husband. I'm happy just hanging out with him. But that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy a nice meal out from time to time (with COVID, it's been sooooo long...). I don't think that it's too much for Myrla to ask for the occasional nice meal out IF they can work together to figure out the finances of it. I also don't think it's too much to ask of Myrla that they order takeout or hit up a local diner from time to time if that's what Gil prefers. It's all about compromise.

Does she even ask him all about his job?

When have we heard him ask about hers? Most of what we hear from Gil is him making fun of her for being "bougie." I actually haven't heard her call him whatever the opposite of "bougie" is...

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Too much eating out, buying shoes, all expensive things.  When you care for someone, you don’t care about eating out.  As long as you are together, who gives a shit where you are.  Myrla is all about satisfying herself.  Order a damn pizza, open up a beer and get to know your husband.  Everything is about HER.  What about him?  Does she even ask him all about his job?  She just sits there and thinks “adore me”, give me.  GTFOOH.

While I do think Myrla is very extra and snobby , I love my husband but we both make weekends a no cooking time . We have a baby now but before we had him , we went to restaurants Fridays-Sunday’s . Nowhere that expensive ( I hate going to upscale restaurants - smaller portions , much more money .) But my point being that we work hard during the week ( cooking included )and we want to enjoy our weekends which includes not cooking/cleaning the kitchen and just having someone else make our food for us . But the difference between us and Myrla and Gil is that my husband and I both want that . I don’t think Myrla is too much because she wants to eat out every weekend , but Gil just isn’t her match . Not just in regard to that , but with pretty much everything . But yes you can love your spouse but still want to eat / go out . One has nothing to do with the other . 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I agree and especially want to point out how unsatisfying it must be for Myrla to dwell on material things (like expensive clothes/restaurants) to try and achieve happiness with Gil who has completely different values than she does.

My father always told me that when you have passion for your work (profession/career) the $$$ will flow in naturally.  I believe Gil is in he infancy of his firefighting career and he already stated that he loves what he does!  Therefore, he should stick with it and develop his skills and talent and gain the experience he will need to climb the ladder (pun😊) of success in what can only be seen as a very noble "calling"!

When Myrla directly stated (several times) that money was her prime motivator in life I felt kind of sad for her knowing (from my vantage point of being much older than she is) that money is GREAT, but even greater is how a person enjoys life with a committed partner (spouse).  I do give Myrla credit, however, for being honest and up front with her priorities so she never had to lead Gil on in the romance department.  

From what Myrla stated, I have suggested (in previous threads) that she hook up with a wealthy older man who will presumably indulge every whim and financial fancy to achieve companionship with her (and whatever else the relationship calls for).  That's just my opinion.  

Gil is in a different category.  He's authentically seeking love and romance and I believe he'll find it after the cameras are off and the show concludes.

Ryan doesn't care about Brett. Johnny doesn't  care about Bao. And Myrla doesn't care about Gil. Brett will be sad, Bao will be introspective, and Gil will be relieved. That's  the way the MAFS cookie crumbles! 

I agree about Myrla re: "wealthy older man." She should be on the (non-existent) show "Trophy Wife" (one rich old dude, 10 wannabe 2nd wives [25 would tax his ticker]). 

In hindsight, the most unsettling exchange between G&M has been their conversation about their fathers' being slain. Light-hearted, smiles, a tone of "You, too? Far out!" Just another moment of their superficial connection, instead of a realization of a profound bond.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
23 hours ago, Gator Stud said:

I kinda do this for a living for corporations.  I couldn't understand Jose's whiteboard either.  Bro's gotta get Excel.

Maybe I’m giving him too much credit, but I assumed he does have spreadsheets or something, and the whiteboard is more about having a visible motivator up in his house. If that’s his only “bookkeeping,” he’s not as savvy as he thinks. It doesn’t even make sense. 

17 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Nooooo!!!  I can’t imagine anyone eschewing Torchy’s!  

I have eschewed Torchy’s ever since I found a… certain type of hair… in a color not found on my body… at the bottom of my mostly eaten meal… (Casa Linda location if anyone wants to avoid that fate.)

The discussions about how adults or married couples “should” use money, or what’s “normal,” are rooted in the same misunderstanding so many of these couples have. It’s the tendency to assume that there’s one correct or normal way to handle personal finances, and that it just happens to be the way you’ve always done it. There are actually lots of ways to use money within the “normal” range. Decisions about shopping or eating at restaurants or travel come down to what people value and what tradeoffs make sense to them.

Myrla, Gil, Rachel, and José all seem to be doing fine financially and were mostly content with their budgets. The only problem is they were matched with spouses who have very different ideas, and especially for Myrla and José, are very stubborn about them. Maybe they will decide the marriages are worth committing to and learn to compromise, or at least get off the other person’s back and let a few things slide. Or maybe they’ll be so sure that their way is the only way that they’ll walk away from a potentially good marriage over it. With the more stubborn partners, it could also be an unconscious way to keep up certain walls, whatever those may be.

I will never be okay with the idea that it’s “just” a kiss and no “normal” woman should ever have a problem kissing a man just because they’re legally married. Kissing and physical touch affect people differently. For some perfectly normal, non-evil, non-defective people, it actually is a big deal to kiss someone. If it’s a kind of touch you wouldn’t do with a sibling, then it’s not something you should be expected to perform on command.

Myrla married a stranger but doesn’t want to kiss him?! Well, yes. That’s not insane, actually. He is a stranger. She wants to be married, but she takes relationships very slowly, as confirmed by her friends. There’s a reason MAFS can’t contractually require physical intimacy, and it’s related to why prostitution and slavery are illegal. Bodily autonomy is kind of a thing in our culture. 

• Love 4

I have zero faith in any of these couples. Jose turned out to be even worse than I imagined. Wasting a woman’s time for four years, and you really didn’t want to be with her because she had children? I hope that lady isn’t watching this because that would hurt to know he was faking interactions with her and her children.

Rachel needs to listen to that little voice telling her something is off. It’ll save her in the end. I’m not sure what she’s in love with. I’m confused.

Johnny and Bao exhaust me. He needs psychotherapy immediately. Maybe even past life regression/hypnotherapy to unmask some of what’s weighing him down. Outside of having needs, I don’t understand why Bao was intimate with him. He dislikes your personality. He dislikes your childlike disposition. He dislikes this and that and reminds you even over a casual dinner that he’s not ready or whatever. She deserves better.

Brett. What is happening with Ryan behind the scenes that has her falling so hard? I don’t see it. I don’t think he’s feeling her at all. 

Myrla and Gil. Y’all have said everything.

Michaela and Zach. Hang it up for the love of God. Her eyes shifting when he spoke up and didn’t accept her silly excuse of the relationship being new as a justification for her piss poor treatment of him was a sight to see. You could see during that whole conversation that there was an internal battle going on, and she was fighting like hell to not explode. He’s not perfect, but she said the classic abuser’s line when she told him he or his actions were the reason she behaved like x. First of all, no man, woman, or child should ever be able to have that much power or control over you. Second, we control how we react. No matter how mad someone makes me, there isn’t anyone outside of myself that dictates how I’m going to respond. She has no accountability. 

When he listed his qualities, they were basic things many of us seek when looking for friends, romantic partners, or even business partners. She said she fell short or couldn’t do those things. Which ones were stringent or unreasonable? Honesty or being trustworthy is too hard? Being loyal is a something you can’t meet? Do you lack ambition? Are you not intelligent? Being adaptable is too hard? You can’t be mature in any circumstance?Like these are basic foundation fundamentals for a healthy relationship of any type. Lies, distrust, immaturity, and insecurity or constant doubts are not a healthy foundation. She said his requirements were stringent. How did this woman get through the cracks? Zach’s lack of perfection aside, she was not ready for a marriage or any type of romantic partnership.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

When have we heard him ask about hers? Most of what we hear from Gil is him making fun of her for being "bougie." I actually haven't heard her call him whatever the opposite of "bougie" is...

Granted, I don't even like Myrla but I am getting tired of Gil making fun of her.  I don't recall her making fun of him about anything.   If I knew him and he teased me like that at the cookout, my elderly aunt would put him in his place and snatch his plate from him, LOL.  He seems nice enough but he really should stop it and just wait until Decision Day to ask for a divorce. 

Also, I've noticed that whenever the couples are gathered together he wants to appoint himself as the leader of the pack, alpha male--you name it.  I would find that annoying if I were around him in a group setting.       

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Loving someone and being in love with them are 2 different things. Idk why Rachel & José feel like they love each other, but it doesn't matter. They don't mean it. They love the thoughtful/loving acts each does. It's conditional, til one messes up. That's the true test. Just wait.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, pdlinda said:

And don't forget, she has told Gil that she wants a Cartier wedding ring (and I don't think she was joking).  To me, that is one of the most selfish things anyone has ever said on this sh*tshow.  She knows his income, and to ask him to spend that much is just asking for trouble....because either he spends waaayyy above his means and gets resentful, or she doesn't get a Cartier ring and is resentful of whatever "lesser than" ring he is able to afford.

19 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I don't think that brunch every weekend for a dual income/no kids couple is too much. But even if it is, Myrla said she asked Gil to watch a sunset on the balcony with her and his response was that he didn't like sunsets. So she has suggested at least one free activity and he didn't go for it.

On his salary, at the kind of place she wants to have brunch, it is too much, even if he only pays for his share.  But it's more than just money.  For many people, Sundays are for relaxing (I assume she is talking about Sunday brunch, not a Saturday one, which are harder to come by and generally not as prestigious).  Getting all dressed up, and taking hours (since that's one of the main points of brunch) is a lot to ask for every.single. weekend.  I love brunch and cannot even imagine doing that.

16 hours ago, Lindz said:

Myrla's clothes have been very bad. That T-shirt dress she wore for the housewarming. YIKES! 😬 Otherwise, it's been boring sweats. Not fancy at all. I'm unimpressed. 😅😂

Yeah, what the heck is up with that?  It really does not compute...unless the sweats and that ugly t-shirt dress (in an unflattering color) are designer and that's the part she cares about.

8 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I agree about Myrla re: "wealthy older man." She should be on the (non-existent) show "Trophy Wife" (one rich old dude, 10 wannabe 2nd wives [25 would tax his ticker]). 

Too funny!  You know that Olivia would also sign right up for that show!

5 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Myrla married a stranger but doesn’t want to kiss him?! Well, yes. That’s not insane, actually. He is a stranger. She wants to be married, but she takes relationships very slowly, as confirmed by her friends. There’s a reason MAFS can’t contractually require physical intimacy, and it’s related to why prostitution and slavery are illegal. Bodily autonomy is kind of a thing in our culture. 

But physical intimacy in a marriage is also "kind of a thing" in our culture, and almost every other culture in the world.  The problem isn't so much that she isn't kissing him, as that (unless it's occurred but we just haven't seen it) Gil doesn't have any clue what her timetable might be for progressing physically, or what it has been in the past.  We do know that she has never been into PDA.  Heck, I don't think we know if she has ever had sex.  It would be fair to question, for someone who is so uncomfortable with this stranger who is now her husband, and will not even give their own husband a peck on the lips, what could reasonably be expected moving forward.  Three months for a peck on the lips?  Four more months to french kiss?  Five more months to cop a feel partially clothed?  Six more months for actual breast fondling?  And that is just above the waist!!!

5 hours ago, AussieBabe said:

When he listed his qualities, they were basic things many of us seek when looking for friends, romantic partners, or even business partners. She said she fell short or couldn’t do those things. Which ones were stringent or unreasonable? Honesty or being trustworthy is too hard? Being loyal is a something you can’t meet? Do you lack ambition? Are you not intelligent? Being adaptable is too hard? You can’t be mature in any circumstance?Like these are basic foundation fundamentals for a healthy relationship of any type. Lies, distrust, immaturity, and insecurity or constant doubts are not a healthy foundation. She said his requirements were stringent. How did this woman get through the cracks? Zach’s lack of perfection aside, she was not ready for a marriage or any type of romantic partnership.

Yes to all of this.  And it really made me wonder what characteristics her previous boyfriends have been looking for (or settling for the absence of) that she found Zack's list  unreasonable or unattainable.

• Love 7