Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E09: Could this be love?

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Gil, honey, going out to dinner twice a month and brunch one weekend day per week is not much to ask.  Ease up, buddy. I think he complains too much. 

Gil likes to cook so there’s that!

I think what’s slowing Gil’s roll in the eating out is that Mrs Fancy Pants wants to eat out at the most expensive restaurants in town!  That can break the bank .

Shes over the top in everything!

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

Like, ignoring anything I said about bald heads, if that is Myrla's preference, choose someone in that range. Give these people the best chance of succeeding. I know this is a tv show first but we can get entertainment out of couples that at least make sense. 

Exactly! I loved when Pastor Cal claimed that Myrla saying that she was not attracted to bald men “was just her being superficial”. Lol! Exactly, Pastor Cal…and that doesn’t mean it’s insignificant and should be ignored! At least a part of attraction (arguably, a very big part) is superficial. Plus I think Myrla leans more toward superficiality, in general, than the average person (I’m sure she would be the first to admit that too) so all the more reason for the experts/producers to actually listen to her. To simply ignore certain requests and/or requirements of the participants is disingenuous. The show claims to match people that are “right” for them, and physical attraction is part of that, as is compatibility on finances, children, etc., other traits they seem to mismatch regularly. This show seems to be deliberately and increasingly ignoring the “deal breakers” of the participants, so it’s no wonder the failure rate is increasing. Case in point…Eric and Virginia should never have been matched given their difference of opinion on having kids and the importance that Eric, in particular, placed on that (as well as lifestyle, politics, their personal definitions of marriage, etc.). The decision to have kids is such a HUUUUUUUGE deal for couples, so to just ignore that incompatibility is irresponsible. These are real people with real lives and, as the show so often states, with ”real marriages”. The experts and producers need to be more mindful of that. They seem to be playing a game, a ratings game, but getting divorced can leave a sizable and traumatic wake behind for everyone involved. These repeated mismatches are sad and troubling.

• Love 19

I was glad that Johnny and Bao found some happy time and I liked Happy Bao, right up until that fake scene in bed where she whispered that she wanted to work her way into his heart like a parasite. WTF??? She is smart enough to know that a parasite is not a desirable thing to be!

I have no use for Myrla. Her continued snobbery and air of superiority is just too much. OK, she didn't ask her sweet hubby to give her a foot rub, but he offered and she accepted, so put the damn phone down. And don't tell him that he is only marginal at foot rubs! I know many people who would LOVE to have their feet rubbed (especially by him). And her rude comments about Jose's house were disgusting, as is she. I cannot wait for Gil to dump her on D Day, although since she insists on always being first, I hope he gets to be the one. (No spoiler - just stating the obvious). And, if she works from home, why does she need all her fancy clothes? I know she probably travels more, but she still doesn't need all the fanciness. Although, I will say that I agree that she can spend her money any way she wants to. as long as she is responsible, as it appears she is. She is just making up for being poor and I get that. Plus, she mentioned making keto chocolate chip cookies for him, which could explain why her grocery bill is higher than his.

I really wish Michaela and Zack would come to terms with the mess and agree to stop before the end of the run. They are horrible together and he is never going to get a decent night's sleep, sleeping with one eye open. And, we haven't even seen some her worst rants yet (according to previews).

I felt so so sad for Brett. She wants him so much and he isn't there, or going to get there. He must be modeling the Mindy/Zack playbook as to waiting for the attraction. I felt embarrassed for her when she said that she had written all of those compliment cards for him and he had nothing to say. I am sure he was uncomfortable seeing all of that affection towards him when he had nothing to return. He didn't even seem to be able to form ONE nice thing to say and it must be actually difficult for him, as well as miserable for her. I actually like the thought of putting her with Gil as a couple. Maybe when this nightmare is over. . .

Rachel's face continues to contradict her words. She is NOT happy with Jose, even though she claims to be. He is not letting her be herself at all and she is never going to be good enough. He is never going to trust her ("once a cheater, always a cheater.") and will continually let her know. And, I do get that, but then end it now. She is like Myrla in that they both just want a husband. And like AJ in earlier seasons, they want a dinner partner. Period. Like Olivia, they want someone to be their "plus one."

Just an overall awkward season and it is not fun to watch. That said, more baby goats and sweet dogs, please. #FREE HYPE.

ETA - did Dr. V just work one day this season? We have seen her in that Pocahontas outfit all season and it is looking pretty tired. She is a pretty lady, but she is not looking good this season.

Edited by Retired at last
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Yep. I can appreciate her unabashed love for the finer things. She totally owns that trait, which I respect. But I really struggle with her inability to compromise and her lack of consideration for whatever Gil might want or like (except for the one time when she gave him a plate of chocolate chip cookies on the honeymoon - that was cute). It’s her way or no way and that just won’t work in a marriage (unless you marry a doormat, which Gil most certainly is not).

Gil was spot on when he called her “extra”. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

until that fake scene in bed where she whispered that she wanted to work her way into his heart like a parasite. WTF??? She is smart enough to know that a parasite is not a desirable thing to be!

Ugh…I felt like she stole that line from Doug in season 1, when he said he “grows on people, like a fungus.” It was such a cute line at that time, especially given Doug and Jamie’s start, so understandably the show played that clip a lot. I’m betting Bao saw it and wanted to replicate the “cuteness”. But it was a big fail in my book. It seemed artificial.

So, yes, it didn’t play well with me either, but not necessarily because i was disgusted by it, but because it felt so fake, and most annoyingly, it felt plagiarized. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Thank you.  Nobody knows what they do.  They also pay for their food everyday to cook, besides getting burned and saving lives.  She is spoiled and a brat.  Wants to go to a fancy restaurant twice a month and brunch every Sunday.  Not on his salary.  I don’t even know why he’s on this show.  Maybe on a dare from his buddies.  I hope he dumps her and finds someone who appreciates him.  She doesn’t.  I can’t see her stuck in the house with a baby.  She won’t come first anymore.

I will say she and the dog seem to have worked it out!  Lol

Was Bae playing baby last night when she did her little bunny steps following her ‘crush’ husband into the bedroom?

Another silly Bae moment!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Cancun said:

That would be a great improvement! I cringe every time I hear her overly cheery “Hey guys!!” opening and the repetitive “gotcha!” responses.

Every time I watch Unfiltered I ask myself:

Does Jamie watch herself on this show?  Wouldn't one do that so they could tweak themselves where necessary?

She's over the top with the opening.  Stupid.

Her skirts/dresses are too short, ride up too high, show too much leg (cellulite).

Her heels are too high causing her knees to sit way up high because she is tall.

And a question for all of you, anyone know when Unfiltered is tape in relation to what we are seeing on the show right now?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Jose pulled the wrong card. Every season a guy is perceived as gay. Probably, at a certain point, it may make sense to just agree that straight men don't all carry themselves the same way. Doesn't mean they are gay.

Some guys have seemed gay in past seasons, and maybe 1-2 really were. But José is eliciting an overwhelming gut reaction among a significant number of viewers. It’s not just stereotypes like a man who enjoys rom-coms or is close to his mother. He’s not flamboyant or high-voiced or delicate. I think you can rest assured that we’re not all little unbroke fillies here. We’ve met men before and we know what we’re picking up on. There is a distinct energy there and many of us recognize it. 

55 minutes ago, greeneyedscorpio said:

Also, when Gil said to the hand-held camera, "Welcome to the Guero-Feria house", she had to chime in, "Feria-Guero".   I'm all for keeping your name when you wed, hyphenating, whatever, but she seems to be in some strange competition to be "first" in their relationship.  

Also, It's been a popular style for years, and imo is usually unflattering.  My young adult daughter used to wear hers that way and finally realized other styles looked better on her. 

Cuero! “Guero” is slang for a white person. Not super offensive but along the lines of “gringo” or “whitey.” It’s also the name of Beck’s best album.

According to Gen Z, side parts and skinny jeans are fashion crimes. They can be quite haughty about it. I’m glad your daughter fought past the noise. One needs an exquisitely symmetrical face to pull off symmetrical hair. Most of us are not that fortunate. 

34 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

I was glad that Johnny and Bao found some happy time and I liked Happy Bao, right up until that fake scene in bed where she whispered that she wanted to work her way into his heart like a parasite. WTF??? She is smart enough to know that a parasite is not a desirable thing to be!I

She knows! She thinks she’s quirky. It’s painful to watch. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Another silly Bae moment!

Yep. I think Johnny was definitely a bit harsh when he flat out said he was not attracted to Bao when she giggles and acts childlike. If I were on the receiving end of that comment, from my husband no less, that would really sting. No doubt he could have positioned that sentiment in a much less hurtful and more productive way, but I am starting to see what I think he meant. I feel like there is a spectrum for silly behavior - on one side there is playful silly, almost sexy silly, and on the other end of the spectrum, there childish silly. Bao seems to lean pretty heavily on the childish side and I think Johnny was hoping for someone with at least a little bit of sex appeal, especially when they were en route to the bedroom! Lol. 

Johnny seemed to want an easy going, sexually confident woman and he got a silly, hyper-organized perfectionist. I don’t dislike Bao, per se, I just don’t think they are well matched. So, chalk this one up to yet another mismatch this season. (Sigh)

Baby goats = best part of this episode ❤️❤️❤️

• Love 6
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Speaking of hair, especially on Mylar and those on Cam Con, why do these girls have straight hair parted in the middle hanging all the way down straight?  No curls, just straight.  Not a good look.  Imo.

This was my thought exactly, especially on Unfiltered.  Jamie, Myrla, Rachael. All with straight, long hair.  Myrla's hair appears to be thin, with little body, and looks stuck to her head most of the time.  Having it that long does her no favors.  It would look better if she cut off a good four or five inches.  But she may be one of those that has to have long hair--for a security blanket. 

• Love 5

I laughed out loud when Bao and Johnny were throwing darts, and the prize was getting what you wanted in bed that night.  When Bao lost, she dropped to the floor in anguish and cried, "I don't want to play video games in bed."  Ha!

16 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

So hate me if you must but goats smell bad and those baby goats had some really creepy eyes!

A friend who had goats once told me that goats pee on their own faces.  Yuck.  And those eyes are creeeeepy.  I'll stick to lambs, which are much less creepy looking, and unfortunately, delicious.

5 hours ago, Booger666 said:

It’s hard to believe Myrla is the introvert she says she is when she is all about going out to hip, busy restaurants where she will be surrounded by people.  

As others have explained, being an introvert doesn't have a whole lot to do with wanting to go to a hip, busy restaurant.  Plus, on Unfiltered, she said she cooks three meals a day and likes a break from that occasionally.  So she's not really "all about" going out.

3 hours ago, Racj82 said:
3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I don’t even know why [Gil's] on this show.  Maybe on a dare from his buddies. 

It may at least partially be because of his job that he is on the show. It's probably hard for him, in regards of free time, to date.

On Unfiltered, it became clear why dating, especially if it involves writing a profile, hadn't worked for him.  Before the foot massage, Myrla said that she had suggested that they watch the sunset and he said he didn't like sunsets.

So he gave her the foot massage instead, even though she said she really appreciates foot massages only when her feet are sore, and hers weren't because she'd been home all day working.

I'd call this one a draw.  I mean, would it have killed Gil to sit there and watch a sunset?

3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I don't really like Jose but I'm bothered by everyone's certainty that he is gay. He presents himself as heterosexual. He married a woman and has said he is attracted there and has had sex with her. He presents as heterosexual. It feels disrespectful to insist that he is a closeted homosexual because of some dated stereotypes about how gay men are. 

Myrla presents herself as someone who doesn't want to have a dog, and yet plenty of people are happy to impose their beliefs about the cuteness and desirability of dogs on her. 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Michaela can’t even boil water?  And she had no clue about how much seasoning  is too much?  

What is the eat standing up thing? 

My thoughts entirely!  Looked like production crew thought up that cooking segment and she was not even slightly interested in successfully participating.  Then, when I saw her "picking" at the food and him wolfing it down fast the "standing up while eating" made sense as neither of them was apparently in the mood to have a quiet, enjoyable dinner. 

Apparently both were much more interested in parsing all their psychological differences ad infinitum.  Nothing even remotely "normal" about Zach and Michaela's relationship.

• Love 2

But José is eliciting an overwhelming gut reaction among a significant number of viewers. It’s not just stereotypes like a man who enjoys rom-coms or is close to his mother. He’s not flamboyant or high-voiced or delicate. I think you can rest assured that we’re not all little unbroke fillies here. We’ve met men before and we know what we’re picking up on. There is a distinct energy there and many of us recognize it. 

Jose is eliciting a gut reaction from some posters on this thread. I don't think that anyone has polled the entire viewership of the show - and even if they did, I'd still maintain that any person is the expert on his/her/their own sexuality. Jose says he is straight so I'm not going to question that, regardless of what "energy" people on this thread think they may feel from watching him on a tv show.

Myrla presents herself as someone who doesn't want to have a dog, and yet plenty of people are happy to impose their beliefs about the cuteness and desirability of dogs on her. 

Not quite the same thing as questioning someone's sexuality. I love dogs and could go on and on all day about how they are great pets but I'm not trying to change Myrla's mind about being a dog person. I think it's terribly unfair that she clearly said she did not want a dog and the "experts" matched her with someone who has a dog. I also think there are strategies that Myrla and Gil could employ to make it more comfortable for Myrla to live with a dog she didn't want. I clearly wouldn't say that there were strategies a gay man could undertake to be more comfortable married to a woman.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I don't think Mryla likes Gil other than someone to banter  and brunch with.

I think Gil gets it but being a gentleman he'll wait to deliver the thanks but no thanks on decision day.

They could have been great!

This right here!  I can see a scenario where they had a private conversation early on where Myrla told Gil "Look, this is never gonna work, you are the exact opposite of what I asked for.  But, you're a nice enough guy, let's just play this for the cameras until decision day."  And Gil was like "Works for me, I'll be getting DM'd till eternity with this exposure as long as I play nice guy along with you." 

Also, I cringed at Brett's roots in the sunlight. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Spectator said:

I think Johnny was definitely a bit harsh when he flat out said he was not attracted to Bao when she giggles and acts childlike. If I were on the receiving end of that comment, from my husband no less, that would really sting. No doubt he could have positioned that sentiment in a much less hurtful and more productive way, but I am starting to see what I think he meant.

I hate baby talk so much I would have a hard time saying anything constructive about it - it really is a “don’t do that, don’t do any version of that, it’s a huge turn-off” thing for me. I didn’t really register what Bao was doing when he mentioned it first, but this episode when she was talking about being the big spoon in a babyish voice I was like “… Yeah, I get it.” Johnny has issues but I see what he means there.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Jose is eliciting a gut reaction from some posters on this thread. I don't think that anyone has polled the entire viewership of the show - and even if they did, I'd still maintain that any person is the expert on his/her/their own sexuality. Jose says he is straight so I'm not going to question that, regardless of what "energy" people on this thread think they may feel from watching him on a tv show.

This forum, subreddits, Twitter, and everyone I’ve talked to in real life — all of whom have mentioned it unprompted, usually the first thing they say if I ask if they’re watching this season.

Normally I don’t feel this strongly about this kind of thing, but I don’t think I can convey to you how absolutely obvious it is to many of us.

You can @ or quote people directly so they know when you’re responding to them.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Jose pulled the wrong card. Every season a guy is perceived as gay. Probably, at a certain point, it may make sense to just agree that straight men don't all carry themselves the same way. Doesn't mean they are gay.

Yeah, I don't see why there is so much talk about him being gay.  I mean, has he not watched the show before and seen how that season's designated "he must be gay guy" gets ridiculed?

I watch a lot of House Hunters shows and some of those husbands, whose wives seem perfectly happy with them, would appear to be gay to some people too.

There are many shades of male-female-ness.

• Love 9

The guys had a rough week. Ryan, you are an absolute douche. You couldn't say one nice thing? But you're too afraid of hurting her feelings to tell the truth? Fucking coward. It's clear you're dead inside. On the upside I didn't feel like Brett's boobs were as prominent this week, maybe she's following our advice to get fitted!

Johnny, WTF. Bao can't win. You will find something to annoyed about if it's the last thing you ever do.  He contradicts himself even second.  Ask me how I feel. No don't, why do you keep asking how I feel?! I don't know why Bao is so in love with this man baby.

Jose, you're pretty fucking judgemental for a guy who led a single mom on for 4 years. Oooooh, but how can I be COMFORTABLE when you go out then Rachel? What was she supposed to say at that point other than what she said? That's she'll wear a GPS? Then what's all this, I'm a guy and guys don't listen...no YOU don't listen Jose. Because you don't give a crap about anyone, except Jose. And, you're gay.

I cannot blame Zach though for being afraid of Hurricane K. She scary.  Someone else said that the way she was blaming HIM for her behavior was a major major red flag for abuse. Yep, yep. I wouldn't hit you, if you didn't make me so mad....

Gil and Myrla, I don't mind. Gil's funny and I think Myrla's playing up her shit. What she said about the BBQ was straight up rude though. And please wash your hair, dang.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, ChiMama said:

I can tell I PERSONALLY would NOT like his kissing style. Ew. 

I CRINGE every time Johnny and Bao kiss!!!  

They simply don't seem to "connect" with those kisses.  Both out or synch!! Maybe each needs instruction regarding "technique??"

I can only analogize their kissing to a couple dancing.  Either you and your partner connect with each other to the beat of the music, or it a stumbling, bumbling off-beat disaster!  No rhythm, no coordination, no harmony. 

Two sets of lips looking for a "connection!"

• Love 3

I don’t think I can convey to you how absolutely obvious it is to many of us.

No - you've conveyed it. My point is that I don't think it's appropriate or respectful for a bunch of tv show viewers to continuously contradict someone's stated sexual orientation based on "evidence" from a reality tv show. The LGBTQ+ community has been marginalized and discriminated against for years. Part of the reason this continues is gossip and speculation about the sexuality of public figures (even as a z-list celebrity, Jose is somewhat in the public eye). I think these sorts of comments are damaging. Until and unless Jose comes out as gay, I'm going to believe him when he says he is straight and wants to be married to a woman. That is as "obvious" to me as any other "evidence" that other people claim to be seeing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
4 minutes ago, karenbrady said:

Love all the cooking and meal prepping with this group of couples. So many past couples didn't seem to get off the sofa. These ppl are actually LIVING.

There was something I liked about how Rachel said she and Jose were sitting around watching TV when she said she loved him. It grounded their relationship a bit - they weren’t doing show-provided goat yoga, they were just chilling at home doing what most of us do.

• Love 5
Just now, Empress1 said:

There was something I liked about how Rachel said she and Jose were sitting around watching TV when she said she loved him. It grounded their relationship a bit - they weren’t doing show-provided goat yoga, they were just chilling at home doing what most of us do.

I agree. They were just chilling, nothing producer-driven. They looked like they forget about the cameras even being there. I'm sure it's exhausting, ugh.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, glitterpussy said:

Then what's all this, I'm a guy and guys don't listen...no YOU don't listen Jose. Because you don't give a crap about anyone, except Jose. And, you're gay.

I cannot blame Zach though for being afraid of Hurricane K. She scary.  Someone else said that the way she was blaming HIM for her behavior was a major major red flag for abuse. Yep, yep. I wouldn't hit you, if you didn't make me so mad....

I've been married 31 years and my husband doesn't listen to a damn thing I say anymore.  But if Jose is starting a new marriage, with a woman he doesn't know, why isn't he listening to her?  If it's a problem this early, and Jose acknowledges it and thinks it's cute, I'd bail.  Why should she have to say everything twice?  Is he a toddler? A teenager? 

Regarding Michaela: That's exactly what I said to my husband (the one that doesn't listen to me anymore haha).  She was totally turning it around on him, making him the bad guy so that she didn't have to take responsibility for her actions.  

Edited by greeneyedscorpio
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Cammi said:

Unpopular opinions:

1. I think Ryan checked out when he saw Brett's red hair. And I don't blame him. I don't go for crazy hair colors either. Also, her voice grates me, just really... unfeminine (die mad about it ya'll- but it is not attractive to me personally). He seems pretty conservative, and no matter how "big boobed, charming, funny etc. Brett is, she just isn't his type. I would love to friend her, she seems super sweet- but I could see her not being his cup of tea before they even met. I think Ryan is being pretty respectful about his feelings though, unlike a lot of past grooms. Is he boring? Who knows, could just be an edit, but they are a clear mismatch. He does not want a liberal, bright red haired wife. End of. 

2. Everyone keeps saying Ryan wants a "dumb trophy wife", but imo- I think that is Johnny. He just wants a cutie to dote on him and ask him about HIS feelings and perform anime sex. To his credit, even though he is an ass- Bao would work my nerves as well. But she is really adorable and in touch with her emotions, a wonderful quality. They bring out the worst in each other.

3. Everyone who is falling in love with "Queen Myrla" can go suck an egg. She is rude, dismissive, an elitist, emotionally distant, snobbish, and frankly- she's MAYBE a solid 5 (because of her tight lil body only). If a dude on here said or did HALF the things she has- he'd be an ass, not a "Queen". Gil was right- she just wants a warm body across the restaurant table. Gil take a cue from an old Eagle's song "Already Gone"- dude leaves girl- then she has to eat her lunch all by herself. Myrla, if you are THAT skittish about a peck on the lips- don't sign up for this show. Imo Gil is a catch. Not perfect, but definitely more relationship material than any other cast member. And they way his little eyes sparkle is the cutest thing- very nice man and seems like a genuine good guy all around. They have different values- horrible match. 

4. Jose is over the top in his 'masculine' mannerisms and even speech patterns. Dude, just explore same sex relationships. You're gay. Probably be much more likable if he just came out. There is some repressed anger boiling under his surface. 

5. Zaack is not attracted to Mickaela. Neither is ready for a relationship. Both need way too much therapy. He has already put her in the "angry black woman" box in his head and there she will stay. They should get VERY interesting. 

Who called Myrla "Queen"? I hope you're right in your positive assessment of Gil. 

Question about the opinion that Myrla is/was "rude": To whom? Is it "rude" to speak to a Third Party about someone else's domicile's being "in the middle of nowhere"? Heck, I say that about the location of my college,  because it's true---and I LOVE my school!

I think it's rude to inquire of others' sex lives---yet even the show's "good guys" so ask. 

I think it's rude and neurotic to lecture another about tooth-brushing and "proper" toothpaste-tube etiquette. (Yeah, never mind the baby goats!)

I think it's rude and insensitive to insist that a woman attempt, with an audience, a dance,  off of which she has already begged.

I think it's rude to incessantly mock, chide, and belittle another's lifestyle that is legal, harmless, and, not a small point,  heavily promoted by the culture at large.

Lots to go around.  

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

It was cringeworthy when Brett and Ryan played Jenga and he read the complements that Brett had written on those cards. Sheesh. I felt terrible for her. He had nothing to say back or to reciprocate about good qualities she had and that he liked about her. Her spirit was deflated and it showed in her eyes. He says he wants to be completely honest with her and not lead her on but, come on, he should be able to think of one nice thing to say about her. Ryan, show a little decency and kindness towards a person that likes you and thinks you're cool. You don't have to be that brutally honest that you hurt her feelings and leave it like that. Oh, well, too bad. Deal with it. You're friendzoned. There are no sparks.

Edited by Matty
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I think it's rude to inquire of others' sex lives---yet even the show's "good guys" so ask. 

I do too but I would bet that’s producer-driven. In earlier seasons of the show before they had all the couples hanging out together, the producers would ask. (They didn’t show them asking but the spouses would be in talking heads saying if they had or hadn’t, clearly in response to the question.) The experts ask. This is season 13 of the show, the people who apply have almost definitely seen it before and know they’re going to have to talk about their sex lives on TV.

• Love 1

I just found this episode so very boring.  They showed way too much of their "fun, romantic dates..."  Show one dart being thrown/shot, show a quick bit of cooking together, but don't belabor the interactions by showing way too much of them (notice I didn't include the goats, because I could watch them for a long time [although I would never ever want their dirty hooves walking anywhere on me]).  I guess there wasn't anything else to show-this episode was so much filler.

So, last week my heart softened towards Myrla, but this week it hardened up again.  And, yes, brunch every weekend is too much, especially as there will be many weeks that Gil works the whole weekend or one of the days (fire schedules shift) leaving him without a weekend day for other things/people.  Myrla also cares more about the appearance of the restaurant/drinks than the actual food (firefighters tend to know good food; we went to real "holes in the wall" when I was growing up that had amazing food because my father was a firefighter and, again, firefighters know good food!).  Oh, and let him eat his chocolate chip cookies!  I think Myrla enjoys feeling superior and it is really starting to show (IMO).

Johnny and Bao both annoy me (for different reasons).  But, what is quite interesting is how so many of these participants think they deserve beyond who their spouse is, not realizing that they themselves are the sole reason they hadn't been married prior to this.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Some guys have seemed gay in past seasons, and maybe 1-2 really were. But José is eliciting an overwhelming gut reaction among a significant number of viewers. It’s not just stereotypes like a man who enjoys rom-coms or is close to his mother. He’s not flamboyant or high-voiced or delicate. I think you can rest assured that we’re not all little unbroke fillies here. We’ve met men before and we know what we’re picking up on. There is a distinct energy there and many of us recognize it. 

There have been far more than 2 and goes further than just this iteration. One guy always gets it in seasons from other countries. And I don't think any guy came out as gay on this show. At least, not to my knowledge. So, its always been wrong. 

It also happens for different reasons. The woman wants sex and he doesn't, shyness, mannerisms. Obviously, anyone can do whatever they want. It's more about the he does this so obvious he's that of it all. These people put themselves out there so, everything they do is up to interpretation. My point was this seems to be a constant theme for the past few years now. Even longer than that. So, maybe these guys aren't gay but there is something else going on. That's all I'm saying.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I think what’s slowing Gil’s roll in the eating out is that Mrs Fancy Pants wants to eat out at the most expensive restaurants in town!  That can break the bank .

Myrla's indifference (I will refrain from using harsher words) to Gil and their relationship was amply shown in her casually talking on the phone while he was giving her a foot massage.  It is very obvious that he does NOT interest her as anything other than a friend.

• Love 8

As a fellow Texan, I am highly disappointed in Jose and all of these folks referring to this event as a BBQ. It was a cook out. Two very distinct things in TX.

And yep, that’s what I got out of this episode. These couples suck. I expect no one to make it. Myrla is absolutely miserable.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, CSunshine76 said:

As a fellow Texan, I am highly disappointed in Jose and all of these folks referring to this event as a BBQ. It was a cook out. Two very distinct things in TX.

And yep, that’s what I got out of this episode. These couples suck. I expect no one to make it. Myrla is absolutely miserable.

As a non-Texan, but a lifetime, die-hard Cowboys fan ;) I need you to explain the difference between a BBQ and a cookout. 

Also, I agree with you about Myrla.  Can't stand her.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, greeneyedscorpio said:

As a non-Texan, but a lifetime, die-hard Cowboys fan ;) I need you to explain the difference between a BBQ and a cookout. 

Also, I agree with you about Myrla.  Can't stand her.

Gladly, and Go Cowboys!

A cookout is grilling…hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, etc.

A BBQ in Texas involves a smoker…we smoke our meats…brisket, sausage, chicken, turkey etc. and it is an event!

Everyone I know distinguishes between the two. And in fact while watching I texted a friend that had already watched and said I’m curious as to if it was an actual BBQ..she told me to be ready to be disappointed in all of them! 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, karenbrady said:

There was something I liked about how Rachel said she and Jose were sitting around watching TV when she said she loved him.

I agree. They were just chilling, nothing producer-driven. They looked like they forget about the cameras even being there. I'm sure it's exhausting, ugh.

I don't recall the "I love you" being caught on camera.  And I think Rachel's account of it was done on her own phone, I think.

I do wonder when (or even if) people forget about the cameras.  I know the first Real World people said they forgot, but I think they were the last "genuine" reality TV cast, and I now think everybody on reality TV is very aware of the cameras at all times.

3 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Question about the opinion that Myrla is/was "rude": To whom? Is it "rude" to speak to a Third Party about someone else's domicile's being "in the middle of nowhere"? 

At first I thought it seemed rude, but quickly realized she wasn't saying it to him, so who was she being rude to?  Then again, it was on camera so it's liable to be aired, and Jose will see it then.  (I honestly wonder if reality show people even think about this when they're doing talking heads.)

Heck, I say that about the location of my college,  because it's true---and I LOVE my school!

Yeah, but Myrla definitely doesn't love Pearland. 

Anyway, I'm on the fence about whether it was rude or not.  Comments here?  Not rude, because the people being snarked on have no business reading here if they don't want to read snarky things about themselves.

22 minutes ago, CSunshine76 said:

My takeaway is that Goode Company, a long-time BBQ place in Houston, apparently sells fried chicken now, to judge from the logo on the sack Bao brought home.  Yum!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Plus, on Unfiltered, she said she cooks three meals a day and likes a break from that occasionally.  So she's not really "all about" going out.

6 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Before the foot massage, Myrla said that she had suggested that they watch the sunset and he said he didn't like sunsets.

Sorry, but this all presupposes Myrla’s statements on Unfiltered are honest. I’m not feeling charitable enough to believe either one of these claims from her. 

Edited by ChiMama
  • Love 6

(I honestly wonder if reality show people even think about this when they're doing talking heads.)

I think they count on it.

My takeaway is that Goode Company, a long-time BBQ place in Houston, apparently sells fried chicken now, to judge from the logo on the sack Bao brought home.  Yum!

I was starving by the end of the episode! There was pizza, mac and cheese, chocolate chip cookies, all the cookout food, fried chicken, ... I can't even remember what all. 

ETA... oh yeah - overseasoned shrimp scampi...

Edited by Elizzikra
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I FFd they that segment because they bore me to tears, so I missed the Goode Company bags. So now I have some research to do…I love their BBQ, this is great info!

MAFS…my new source for food options in the greater Houston area. 😃

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

She's gets a foot massage and whines about it. She is kind of funny but would be torture to live with.

• Love 5
On 9/15/2021 at 6:48 PM, Cancun said:

Myrla saying it was nice to be invited to Jose’s house but she wouldn’t ever come back “because as an introvert, she doesn’t go to peoples’ houses.”  That was such an odd peek into how she is wired. (And I’m an introvert, so I feel like of all people, I would understand if I could.) And then she had to add the barb about the house being in the middle of nowhere. Not a good look. Dang, my appreciation for her had been growing but ugh!

Pearland IS in the middle of nowhere.  There is nothing to do out there except cheat with your neighbors. 

On 9/15/2021 at 6:49 PM, mythoughtis said:

Michaela can’t even boil water?  And she had no clue about how much seasoning  is too much?  

What is the eat standing up thing? 

When they dumped the pasta in pot, they stood it on its side and left it there. Half of the pasta was probably overcooked. 

• Love 1
On 9/15/2021 at 8:25 PM, flaky said:

That bee analogy is still sending me....I appreciate what he is trying to do but that was sooooo funny. I wish Ryan showed more emotion while reading the notes. He may not feel sparks yet but he needs to at least engage on the journey. Jose, Please don't ask your wife to say something twice. She said it once, you listen once. That's the way an adult relationship works, saying things twice is for kids and since you like to talk about 'as a man' please act like one. It's really hard to tell if Myrla really likes Gil or not but at least they are civil towards one another. I think brunch every weekend would wear me out. I love me some long mornings to sleep but eating out twice a month for dinner is totally reasonable.

Johnny....hmmmm.... Please let Bao paint in peace. Not everything has to be foreplay. I couldn't help but laugh at what he considers to be an argument. 'Ask me stuff' no wait 'don't ask me stuff' . Well which is it? I just feel sorry for Bao. Makes total sense that he learnt sex from hentai though.

Here is where they were doing brunch.  Look at the prices. Look at his paycheck  That's what my man was tryna say.

https://www.toulousecafeandbar.com/river-oaks-menu

• Useful 5
17 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Gil, honey, going out to dinner twice a month and brunch one weekend day per week is not much to ask.  Ease up, buddy. I think he complains too much. 

If it was a thirty dollar lunch, I feel ya. But they were eating here, and Fireman bro aint gonna be spending half his paycheck on brunches.  How much do you think a date would cost here? With drinks?

https://www.toulousecafeandbar.com/river-oaks-menu

• Love 2
16 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I just don’t see Jose in the same light as some of you do.  I think he likes women.

Maybe he is bisexual. His mannerisms are super-effeminate. I thought I saw him staring at Johnny a few times.  But maybe we are all wrong and our gaydar is broken. I see crosses all over his house and think his family is conservative Catholic.  He was wearing a cross in this episode. Did they really have sex?  Or did Jose just want people to stop asking about if he had sex? Why does Jose kiss so maniacally in public? What's he tryna prove?

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I don't really like Jose but I'm bothered by everyone's certainty that he is gay. He presents himself as heterosexual. He married a woman and has said he is attracted there and has had sex with her. He presents as heterosexual. It feels disrespectful to insist that he is a closeted homosexual because of some dated stereotypes about how gay men are. 

It's possible, even after four years, that Jose didn't have much contact with the kids and they weren't really attached to him. I didn't love that he stayed in a relationship for four years with a woman he didn't love (who had kids that he didn't love either) but I fault the woman as much as Jose, maybe moreso. She is the one who is supposed to be looking out for her children and making sure that people don't sort of swan in and out of their lives willy nilly.

She said she is introverted (which I believe) and that's why she doesn't go to barbecues, which are often bigger events. I didn't like that she said she wouldn't go to Jose's house again because it was too far away; that seemed rude. But I can see where she prefers brunch with a friend or two over a bigger party. 

There is nothing wrong with being gay.  But everyone thinks Jose is.  Why do you think that is? 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

No - you've conveyed it. My point is that I don't think it's appropriate or respectful for a bunch of tv show viewers to continuously contradict someone's stated sexual orientation based on "evidence" from a reality tv show. The LGBTQ+ community has been marginalized and discriminated against for years. Part of the reason this continues is gossip and speculation about the sexuality of public figures (even as a z-list celebrity, Jose is somewhat in the public eye). I think these sorts of comments are damaging. Until and unless Jose comes out as gay, I'm going to believe him when he says he is straight and wants to be married to a woman. That is as "obvious" to me as any other "evidence" that other people claim to be seeing.

Nobody is discriminating against Jose or cares that he is gay or bisexual. It would be nice if he did not lead a women on or work out his sexual identity issues with a women looking for love. We already went through this with Puke it is was not right.  Although, Puke also claimed he slept with Kate.  Why dont they just put a gay couple on instead of doing this?

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Gator Stud said:

Nobody is discriminating against Jose or cares that he is gay or bisexual. It would be nice if he did not lead a women on or work out his sexual identity issues with a women looking for love. We already went through this with Puke it is was not right.  Although, Puke also claimed he slept with Kate.  Why dont they just put a gay couple on instead of doing this?

Your right nobody is criticizing if he's gay. And if you don't want the public  to comment on what you're doing, don't go on a TV show.  He knew he would be talked about and commented on and he chose to go on anyway.

Edited by antfitz
  • Love 2