Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Seven Episode Talk

• Start Topic

That whole "underground hole" rant was a thing of beauty. Thank you, Stephen.

And that's all the more I'll say, because If I were to keep going, this post would be full of nothing but a string of curse words related to the people Stephen was talking about in his monologue. Jesus Christ, the stupid...my head literally hurts. 

• Love 11

On a much lighter note, I'm glad Hugh Dancy was finally on. What a fun interview. I enjoyed learning that he's just as fascinated with Sam Waterston's eyebrows as the rest of us are. 😂

My "is potato" shirt finally arrived! I can't wait to wear it outside and confuse people with it. 😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Big ups to Louis for doing a wonderful job leading the band, being a foil to Stephen’s comedy, and bringing in great guest players. I hope Jon is healing well and will be back soon. But in the meantime, Louis and the band have been fabulous.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

Isn't Jon supposed to be filming The Color Purple?

i don’t think they’ve started filming yet. and if they had, i expect stephen would have said something. i’m more concerned that jon’s protracted absence is because his wife is not doing well. 

• Sad 2
(edited)

Well, they have next week off due to Memorial Day (as they and the other late night shows do every year). If they come back on the 6th and Jon is still not there, I imagine Stephen will have to say something.

Edited by Prairie Rose

I wasn't listening closely (it was on CNBC after all, and who really listens closely...), but there was a reporter at the Walmart annual meeting thing and she said Jon was performing there.  So yeah, it's Walmart and all, but that means he's okay!  Yay!!

• Applause 3
  • Love 5
(edited)

"The adults of the United States are failing the children of the United States."

Agreed. They very much are, on gun violence and on so many other issues.

I also liked Tapper highlighting the difference between "the voters" and "the public" when it comes to why things that seem to poll well struggle to pass when it comes down to the wire. I hadn't really thought about that before, but that makes sense. 

On a much lighter note, it's so nice to see Jon Batiste again :). I'm glad he had so much fun filming the movie - definitely will have to keep an eye out for that. 

ETA: This interview with Joel Kim Booster is fun :). I've been hearing lots of good things about Fire Island over in the "Romantic Comedies" thread in the movie forum, so I was already curious to check the movie out based off of that. This interview, and the clip they showed, just further confirmed that. Guess I know what I'll be watching this coming weekend!

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

My local CBS channel mangled the second half of the Jake Tapper interview, the part about the 1/6 hearings.  Ran commercials over the first and last segment and made all but about 30 seconds unwatchable.  If I was a suspicious type, I'd think someone here in AZ did it deliberately.

Of course, they couldn't stop me from going over to Paramount+ and watching it.  Took twelve commercials to get there, but I got it.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Wink 2
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I loved that, too :D. Also, thanks, Stephen, now I want a cheeseburger :p. 

Glad Stephen highlighted Thompson's comments regarding where he came from. That was one of the best parts of his speech, which is saying something, considering how powerful the whole thing was.

ETA: LMFAO at Jon Batiste's reaction to Stephen's comment about Ivanka XD. Oh, snap.  

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 7

I just learned a new word thanks to him, regarding the smell of rain in the summer. 

His answers to this questionnaire are fun. I agree the "one song" one is the hardest - it certainly would be for me. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I too loved the Muppet Show parody. Did the audience get to see the live coverage from the Ed Sullivan Theatre before the show began? I would assume so, but I don't really know how they do it.

Every bit of the show was great, but the Questionert with Jon was the high point. I will miss Jon this summer, but he has more than earned the time off to be with his wife. Plus, the band is in great hands with Louis. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7

Kudos to LSSC for booking Woodward and Bernstein as guests for last night's show. They were both classy, funny, heartfelt and full of great stories. Both of them seemed thrilled to be there, and Stephen and the live audience just ate them up. In fact, other than the monologue and a musical number by Bonnie Raitt, they were the entire episode. The show does a terrific job booking timely guests and last night was no exception.

• Applause 4
  • Love 6
On 6/10/2022 at 1:33 PM, shapeshifter said:

I'm pretty sure there were tears in Stephen's eyes after he took Jon's hand at the end of the questionnaire and announced he'd be gone for the summer and that he loved him.🥲❤️ 

I know there were tears in my eyes!  I love Jon and I'm so happy for all the well-deserved accolades he has received over the past couple of years, but it seemed inevitable that all his success meant he was going to move on, perhaps not forever but for large chunks of time.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Calvada said:

I know there were tears in my eyes!  I love Jon and I'm so happy for all the well-deserved accolades he has received over the past couple of years, but it seemed inevitable that all his success meant he was going to move on, perhaps not forever but for large chunks of time.

Yes, but in this case I feel a bit uneasy. I hope and pray that Jon is simply taking a well-deserved hiatus this summer for R&R and that nothing is going wrong with his wife's health. 

Speaking of wives, it was wonderful seeing Evie last night for the Father's Day cards. She was far and away the highlight for me watching the quarantine shows. It's always great seeing her.

• Sad 1
  • Love 8

Speaking of Evie, does anyone have any insider info?  When she's been on before, he rarely mentioned her last name, but when he did, as far as I can remember, she was "Evie McGee".  Last night, he referred to her as "Evie Colbert".  Wikipedia, helpfully, had her listed in one place as "Evelyn McGee" and another place as "Evelyn "Evie" McGee-Colbert".  Not that it's unusual for women to use different names socially and professionally, just seemed odd that he wasn't consistent.

• Useful 1

I was catching up late on last weeks Thursday episode - nice to see Jon taking the questionnaire. Didn't anyone else feel like there was some tension between them, or am I just crazy? A few times it seemed to me like Jon wanted to elaborate more on his answer, but Stephen cut him off.

I had to laugh at that short entry to Meanwhile of course, nicely done.

• Useful 1
11 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I was catching up late on last weeks Thursday episode - nice to see Jon taking the questionnaire. Didn't anyone else feel like there was some tension between them, or am I just crazy? A few times it seemed to me like Jon wanted to elaborate more on his answer, but Stephen cut him off.

I had to laugh at that short entry to Meanwhile of course, nicely done.

This was on the live show, right?  I noticed Jon was wearing a different outfit for the Questionnaire compared to what he was wearing both before and after, so I wondered if that portion was pre-recorded and edited...?

I also wondered if the Meanwhile intro was so short because of it being live, to minimize the chance of flubs with the normal convoluted bucket of words that is... the intro to Meanwhile.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

This was on the live show, right?  I noticed Jon was wearing a different outfit for the Questionnaire compared to what he was wearing both before and after, so I wondered if that portion was pre-recorded and edited...?

Yes. Good catch on the outfit, I missed that.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

Speaking of wives, it was wonderful seeing Evie last night for the Father's Day cards. She was far and away the highlight for me watching the quarantine shows. It's always great seeing her.

I see Evie as having gradually grown into the role for that bit they do with the greeting cards, and I adore it.

It used to be a random person from the audience handing Stephen the cards until the pandemic, and the first few times Evie did it made me cringe with embarrassment for both of them.

But these last few times Evie has looked and sounded "fantastic" (as Stephen accurately pronounces when she comes out) to the point where I'm thinking:
Hmmm.
Ellen is leaving her Daytime Talk (no matter the network).
And Stephen could probably use a bit less stress at this point, which daytime would afford.
Plus, as was noted tonight during the bit about the hearings, Stephen finally was noticed by those he has mocked for half a dozen or so years and those whom he has begged to acknowledge his existence as a thorn in their sides.

So: How about Stephen and Evie doing daytime talk? 
Especially with Jon maybe moving on——
Even if/when Jon comes back at the end of the summer or whenever his wife's illness will allow🙏, Jon has so many opportunities knocking at his door.

I can't think of anyone offhand who could fill Stephen's shoes, but maybe it would be someone who has a different footprint to make in the realm of what Stephen has crafted.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Yes. Good catch on the outfit, I missed that.

Yeah, I don’t usually notice when Stephen has a different color tie in a particular segment, but Jon’s pink suit stood out to me compared to the orange-y tones he was wearing in the rest of the episode.  Both outfits, by the way, 10 out of 10.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Both outfits, by the way, 10 out of 10.

Jon's clothing is one of the many things I enjoy about him.  Jon and Stephen look like an artist and his accountant.  No offense intended to Stephen.

• Fire 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

We all dunk on the length of the intro

I used to like it, but I’ve come around to join the crowd in here.

Edited by opus
  • Useful 1

I loved him and Stephen doing the Tik Tok dance in that "Dads" segment XD. And his description of the movie Big cracked me up, too. 

It's fun to hear Stephen reminiscing about fun moments involving big musical acts that he and his siblings liked when they were kids. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Speaking of Evie, does anyone have any insider info?  When she's been on before, he rarely mentioned her last name, but when he did, as far as I can remember, she was "Evie McGee".  Last night, he referred to her as "Evie Colbert".  Wikipedia, helpfully, had her listed in one place as "Evelyn McGee" and another place as "Evelyn "Evie" McGee-Colbert".  Not that it's unusual for women to use different names socially and professionally, just seemed odd that he wasn't consistent.

They've brought it up on the show before. Sometimes she's Evie McGee, sometimes she's Evelyn Colbert.

• Love 1
(edited)

Tom Hanks looked a bit thin tonight,

I noticed that too. Is it for a role or is he still having COVID-related issues? (In fact, I've picked up on several Hollywood actors looking thinner than usual lately. Maybe it's a trend right now?}

My local CBS channel mangled the second half of the Jake Tapper interview, the part about the 1/6 hearings.  Ran commercials over the first and last segment and made all but about 30 seconds unwatchable.  If I was a suspicious type, I'd think someone here in AZ did it deliberately.

I'd have no problem putting my money on "deliberately." Parts of SNL get run over by ads all the time in the metro PHX area by the local NBC station. Sometimes entire skits have been replaced and I've only found out from reading the PTV SNL forum. Jimmy Kimmel's show on ABC occasionally gets messed with by the local ABC station too, though recently I guess the claim was that it was a problem with the feed they were using. Sure, Jan.

Not sure what's going on with Jon taking the summer off but he was just on the Today show this morning and he was featured fairly heavily. Perhaps he's looking for greener pastures, e.g., ones earlier in the day?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Not sure what's going on with Jon taking the summer off but he was just on the Today show this morning and he was featured fairly heavily. 

Not just TODAY (and he was just on there a couple of months ago), but I just read on the forum for The View that he'll be on that show Monday. CBS sure seems understanding of him being on other networks, but I guess if they're OK with it...

It just seems a bit fishy to me. Stephen's narrative had me thinking Jon would be taking the summer off for personal time, like a second honeymoon in an exotic locale. But if he wants to perform and his bosses at LSSC and CBS don't have any issues, it's good. Plus he probably wouldn't be out performing on his break from LSSC if his wife wasn't OK.

Besides, the band is doing fine with Louis Cato at the helm (and he has a nice singing voice, too!). I like the rapport he and Stephen have built up these past few weeks.

I didn't get to see the Tom Hanks interview. Did he address his recent kerfuffle with the paparazzi?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

I didn't get to see the Tom Hanks interview. Did he address his recent kerfuffle with the paparazzi?

No, he didn't. I think the episode filmed before that news broke. 

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Annber03 said:

No, he didn't. I think the episode filmed before that news broke. 

Got it, thanks!

7 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I love that the band played "Our Lips Are Sealed" when Tom Hanks came out!

Now that's just awesome. 😂

• Love 1
On 6/17/2022 at 10:44 AM, Brandi Maxxxx said:

They've brought it up on the show before. Sometimes she's Evie McGee, sometimes she's Evelyn Colbert.

The last time she was on before this was to read the Mother's Day cards. She was introduced by Stephen as "Evelyn McGee, ladies and gentlemen." 

Oh, I saw Jon's appearance on The View today. It was a pretaped show and Jon was only interviewed; he did not perform. He was also interviewed remotely - he was not actually at the table with the ladies. (I also have absolutely no idea when the episode - celebrating Juneteenth - was actually recorded.) I will post the clip on the music of LSSC thread.

I was just thinking about Stephen's funny running jokes. Of course, "is potato" is mine though he hasn't mentioned it lately (which could either be a good or bad thing). I was flipping through my DVR guide when I saw a listing for Morbius and laughed out loud, thinking about how Stephen loved to rag on that movie. Next?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I liked when he would say that some politician did or said a completely reasonable thing, then paused and said "I'm just kidding" and told us the crazy reality. Haven't heard that in some time. Also, taking a very obvious sip of water before a clip of some crazy stuff, which he would then spit out. That's a bit childish, but I lauged every time.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I liked when he would say that some politician did or said a completely reasonable thing, then paused and said "I'm just kidding" and told us the crazy reality. Haven't heard that in some time. Also, taking a very obvious sip of water before a clip of some crazy stuff, which he would then spit out. That's a bit childish, but I lauged every time.

So did I. Great bit.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Yeah, I thought his response to that was really well-handled. Respectful and understanding of the police response, given the circumstances, and acknowledging the messiness of it all, while also rightly calling out the people who wanted to make it sound way more dramatic than it actually was, as well as the bad faith actors who were making ridiculous comparisons to the actual insurrection. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Though he left out the widely reported information that they did not have permission to be in the hallways and had already been asked to leave once. I have a little less respect for him not addressing all the facts, only those that made his people sound blameless. If he wants to call out others for selective facts, he shouldn't engage in the same behavior.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I loved his breakdown of the interaction with the Capitol Police and that his team wasn't actually in the Capitol building.

7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, I thought his response to that was really well-handled. Respectful and understanding of the police response

4 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Though he left out the widely reported information

I appreciated the thoughtful writing for the part of the monologue about the arrest of the puppet
(IDK? Was the puppet arrested? Just asking rhetorically because it's a comedy show),
but I wish they could have worked in the difference between:
"A Capitol building" (widely reported)
and
The Capitol Building (widely inferred on media)
-- about which I was confused both before and after the monologue.
It seems odd that Stephen didn't mention it, but I guess it wasn't deemed necessary since he did say that they "weren't at the Capitol Building."
And I guess the differentiation between "A" and "The" isn't very humorous. 

• Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Maybe because I used to work for a firm where I went to the various buildings where hearings were held, I had no problem understanding what Stephen was saying. 

Senators have their offices in the Russell, Hart buildings, to name two, and House members in Longworth and I’m blanking on the others. They are not “The Capitol” where the insurrection took place on January 6th.

So I very much enjoyed the monologue.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I wasn't saying his staff was in the actual Capital building. He still failed to address the fact they were in a secure Congressional office building without proper permits and where they were already asked to leave. Doesn't matter which building. They got a chance to leave and go back when they had permission and not after 8 pm. They just apparently didn't think they really had to. He didn't address that part at all.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1