Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Seven Episode Talk

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I also didn't read too much about him saying he would stay home the full 10 days instead of wearing a mask. It's one thing for on-air journalists to mask-up, it's another for a performer.

This. It'd be tough to do a full monologue with a mask on. 

• Love 1

That Amy Klobuchar interview was quite emotional. She had a little catch in her voice all through it. It's clear she's genuinely distressed about the current condition of American democracy. She sounded the way I feel. 

• Love 6

She always has that catch in her voice these days, though. I've started to think it's an act, or maybe a genuine disability. I've seen her interviewed many times in the past few months and it's there in every instance, no matter the topic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Great monologue tonight. That screenshot of Stephen's face the day of the insurrection says it all. And I love those clips of Biden's speech, too. Tell 'em, Biden. 

I also love the new thing of having kids reading reactions from TFG XD. 

• Love 10
19 hours ago, possibilities said:

She always has that catch in her voice these days, though. I've started to think it's an act, or maybe a genuine disability. I've seen her interviewed many times in the past few months and it's there in every instance, no matter the topic.

I think it's a combination of factors - one being that it's winter and the combination of cold air outside and hot dry air inside does something to your sinuses, voice, etc.  Also, she was diagnosed with breast cancer almost a year ago, had a lumpectomy and radiation treatment, and most likely is on one of the breast cancer drugs, all of which can affect you physically and emotionally.   And I can understand her being emotional talking about January 6, since I have the same feelings.  

I loved the Rent parody.  I have to watch it online since my local broadcast had weather advisories over a lot of the screen for wind chill warnings, because hey, breaking news!  It's cold in Wisconsin in January.   

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
51 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I loved the Rent parody. 

Yes, although I'd like to hear it without the audience laughter in the background.

I'm wondering what awards it might be nominated for. Is there an Emmy category? A Grammy?
In case anyone missed it, Stephen credited Louis Cato of Stay Human—I think for the vocals, but maybe more?

When this👇opening image of the video first appeared, I thought it was going to be about rents going up in NYC. Yeah, sometimes I'm a little clueless.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Upthread(s) there've been musings about why Stephen (and often other late night hosts) don't do Friday shows. 
Well, this past Friday's monologue hints that it's up to the Network execs,  that it's all about money to them (of course) and, if what I'm reading between the lines of the joke is correct, perhaps Stephen would be liable for a breach of contract if he doesn't do what they say:

[Stephen Colbert Friday January 7, 2022 monologue]
This is the first Friday of 2022. 
I'm so happy to be here.
That's why I showed up.
If I'm not happy to be here, I don't show up.
That's why on some Fridays you might notice we don't do a new show.
'Cause on some Fridays I call Chris and say, "I'm not feelin' it, Man."
And the Network goes: "Whatever you want, Chief! Your health and well-being is way more important to us than money!"
That's the first joke tonight.
But not everybody is showing up to work these days according to the most recent Jobs Report...

• Useful 1

Interesting… I guess they changed up the end of the Romansplaining segment at the last minute. The closed captions on the YouTube video show a different joke (that I actually like better):

Tired of speed dating? Try Swede dating, where you hook up with Alexander Skaarsgard at IKEA inside a Malm cabinet. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

That dream was wild. I just loved that all this stuff was happening amidst an imminent nuclear attack throughout :D. I joked to my mom that it sounds like the kinds of dreams she often has :p. 

I also liked her talking about her favorite football team. I don't even follow football and I want a shirt like the kind she has. 

As for other topics, Jon Batiste's reaction to that Stormy Daniels joke in the monologuee was mine. And I liked the segment about the uber rich, and that expensive house that's on top of a hill. "Please let it be a volcano..." XD. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, catlover79 said:

The best part of that segment was Jon Batiste giving a standing O with the most solemn look on his face!!! 🤣

He has the best reaction shots to whatever Stephen's talking about or the clips he shows :D. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

He has the best reaction shots to whatever Stephen's talking about or the clips he shows :D. 

Remember the other night when he doubled over in laughter at the piano? I forget what the joke was, but that part had me in hysterics!!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Annber03 said:

IMO, Mr. Batiste is  the show's literal class act (and lately has been the one regular who keeps the classless  and churlish elements from being unendurable). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Well I have to say that Steve was a hell of a lot better during quarantine when T****P Was in office. His monologues & humor do not compare to Kimmel. Colbert is much better at straight, with occasional humorous aside thrown in, political discussions. 
Tonight, not for the first time, I’ve found his “jokes” to be unfunny & problematic when pertaining to  animals. Yes Stephen or whoever wrote this particular set, it is hysterical! a  hundred monkeys on their way to be tortured in a lab were sideswiped by a truck and some escaped. (a couple of them, by the way, had to be euthanized when they were found) oh HA FUCKING HA. 😡😡

• Love 1
3 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

i noticed that there’s been anew drummer. any idea what’s going on with joe saylor? i’ve always loved the interactions between him and colbert. 

I don't know. If he had covid, I would think the rest of the band at least would be in quarantine - so it's probably not that.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Tonight, not for the first time, I’ve found his “jokes” to be unfunny & problematic when pertaining to  animals. Yes Stephen or whoever wrote this particular set, it is hysterical! a  hundred monkeys on their way to be tortured in a lab were sideswiped by a truck and some escaped. (a couple of them, by the way, had to be euthanized when they were found) oh HA FUCKING HA. 😡😡

That really bothered me, too. 

• Love 3

For the first time last night (January 25,2022), I noticed a shot of the ceiling area of the Ed Sullivan Theater which featured what appears to be a large stained glass window depicting the Jon Batiste and Stay Human! 

IMO, that shot alone was more entertaining than much of last night's show. 

• Love 2

I was so annoyed that they kept Matlin's interpreter off camera. They could have and should have had him in her line of sight so she could look at him and Stephen at the same time, not have to be looking totally away, and also so that viewers could see the interpreter.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

I was so annoyed that they kept Matlin's interpreter off camera. They could have and should have had him in her line of sight so she could look at him and Stephen at the same time, not have to be looking totally away, and also so that viewers could see the interpreter.

Wouldn’t that have been Matlin’s choice?

Edited by shapeshifter
sp.
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought he was in her line of sight - just off camera, to Stephen's left.  But I also thought she was lip reading to get what Stephen said, since she was looking directly at him, and the interpreter's role was mainly interpreting what Marlee was signing.  But I'm no expert.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

The interpreter surely was signing what Stephen was saying, for Matlin, and should have been visible to any Deaf viewers. She clearly was getting Stephen's comments a second behind when he said them, and was mostly looking straight ahead at the interpreter and having to glance to the side to see Stephen, and was having to shift her viewpoint back and forth between him and Stephen. No one can lip read that well, that quickly, and that accurately. Also, she wasn't looking at his mouth, she was looking at the interpreter, who was across the room and at an angle from where Stephen was.

I don't know why they did it that way, but usually, at least in my experience, an interpreter is placed so that the Deaf person can see the interpreter and also the person whose speech is being interpreted at the same time. This also allows any other Deaf people to benefit from the interpreting in a way that putting the interpreter off camera does not allow. The captions are terrible, and not a real substitute for signing, even when they're decent. 

• Useful 3
10 minutes ago, possibilities said:

The interpreter surely was signing what Stephen was saying, for Matlin, and should have been visible to any Deaf viewers. She clearly was getting Stephen's comments a second behind when he said them, and was mostly looking straight ahead at the interpreter and having to glance to the side to see Stephen, and was having to shift her viewpoint back and forth between him and Stephen. No one can lip read that well, that quickly, and that accurately. Also, she wasn't looking at his mouth, she was looking at the interpreter, who was across the room and at an angle from where Stephen was.

I don't know why they did it that way, but usually, at least in my experience, an interpreter is placed so that the Deaf person can see the interpreter and also the person whose speech is being interpreted at the same time. This also allows any other Deaf people to benefit from the interpreting in a way that putting the interpreter off camera does not allow. The captions are terrible, and not a real substitute for signing, even when they're decent. 

Ah, I didn't catch that.  But from what I saw, the interpreter came in and was seated where the studio audience (and Marlee) could clearly see him.  So for what Marlee says, Deaf TV viewers could see her signing, and hearing viewers could hear the interpreter.  For what Stephen said to Marlee, hearing viewers could hear him, and Deaf viewers would have to rely on the cc's like they do for any other dialog.   I guess it would be a bonus if they could see the interpreter, but the show doesn't regularly have an ASL interpreter for any other dialog.  Maybe I'm getting this all garbled up and missing some of the nuance.

I have heard some interesting interviews/podcasts with her where one of the things they talk about is her working relationship with her interpreter, but it's been a while and I'm not sure if it's the same guy.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

For what Stephen said to Marlee, hearing viewers could hear him, and Deaf viewers would have to rely on the cc's like they do for any other dialog.   I guess it would be a bonus if they could see the interpreter, but the show doesn't regularly have an ASL interpreter for any other dialog.

I assume they must have considered having an inset window onscreen showing the interpreter like I've seen for some speeches (e.g., IIRC, by the governor of Illinois) but maybe not?

Maybe Marlee Matlin wanted this to appeal to the hearing audience in an effort to foster inclusivity, and maybe she thought what we saw was the least distracting way to accomplish that?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
29 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I assume they must have considered having an inset window onscreen showing the interpreter like I've seen for some speeches (e.g., IIRC, by the governor of Illinois) but maybe not?

Oh that's a thought, but maybe it would only highlight the fact that Deaf viewers only get a accommodation when there's a Deaf guest...?  I guess that's what the cc's are supposed to help with, as imperfect as some of them are.

And it's not just the Governor or Illinois - pretty much every press conference from a state or city official that I've seen in the past few years has had an interpreter.  I think some of them are more recognizable to me than the officials they're interpreting for.

And to close out this slightly off-topic path, does anyone else remember SNL's News for the hearing impaired?  With Garret Morris in an inset, yelling the news that the anchor had just said? I probably shouldn't have found that as funny as I did.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I have heard some interesting interviews/podcasts with her where one of the things they talk about is her working relationship with her interpreter, but it's been a while and I'm not sure if it's the same guy

Definitely the same guy - Jack.  He's been with her for about forever, so I'm sure both of them were comfortable with the setup.  I've seen them sit next to each other, across from each other and various other permutations, so whatever they went with last night (or Thursday, as it were), was most probably agreed upon and everyone was fine with it.

38 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

And to close out this slightly off-topic path, does anyone else remember SNL's News for the hearing impaired?  With Garret Morris in an inset, yelling the news that the anchor had just said? I probably shouldn't have found that as funny as I did

Well, I found it (and still find it) pretty hilarious.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
56 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

And to close out this slightly off-topic path, does anyone else remember SNL's News for the hearing impaired?  With Garret Morris in an inset, yelling the news that the anchor had just said? I probably shouldn't have found that as funny as I did.

I remember.

”Our top story tonight…”

”OUR TOP STORY TONIGHT…”

• LOL 8

The only reason I watched was to see if and how it was handled. The answer--very badly. It was basically, I get that you all are wrong about this and I'm sorry it makes me look bad but I get to decide what race means and if you disagree, you're wrong. And she's not anti-Semitic. Which we know since she told us.

It was kind of worse than the original because if it had been ignorance, she had a chance to be educated and still doubled down on her ignorance.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Ailianna said:

The only reason I watched was to see if and how it was handled. The answer--very badly. It was basically, I get that you all are wrong about this and I'm sorry it makes me look bad but I get to decide what race means and if you disagree, you're wrong. And she's not anti-Semitic. Which we know since she told us.

It was kind of worse than the original because if it had been ignorance, she had a chance to be educated and still doubled down on her ignorance.

Ugh. I can’t stand that woman. 

Just now, ahisma said:

I was not expecting such an amazing exchange with Dua Lipa. This one is right up there with Stephen’s talk with Anderson Cooper about grief. 

Yeah, that was a really good interview in general, I enjoyed it. Such a thoughtful question for her to ask Stephen towards the end, and I liked how he answered it. 

• Love 5

Ditto+++ on the Dua Lipa exchange.
2 greats schmoozing = great TV.

Evie looked fabulous and her banter with Stephen was perfection. 
I was tired of her giggling in the background when they had no audience, but their Valentines bit was adorable.

• Love 3