Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Seven Episode Talk

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Stephen, the mustache isn't working. Please shave!!

He looks a bit like a cross between the late Alex Trebek and someone else, I can't quite put my finger on who. But as he said, his wife will ultimately be the deciding factor in how long that mustache stays, so....:D. 

I loved the COVID excuses song. That was entertaining. And on a more serious note, I'm glad to hear that Jon Batiste's family's okay after Ida and everything. But still, yes, any help that state can get is always welcome. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Sadly (though understandably), the audience is masked up again.

I applauded when I saw the masks. 

And possibly more than anything else ever, I ❤️loved❤️ this: 

But mileage varies, as usual. Even in the Before Times I loved a good excuse.

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, lambertman said:

Am I over analyzing everything now, or was Steve Martin kind of rude to/dismissive of Selena Gomez on a couple occasions last night? 

I'm with you....It was all very bizarre

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, lambertman said:

Am I over analyzing everything now, or was Steve Martin kind of rude to/dismissive of Selena Gomez on a couple occasions last night? 

53 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I'm with you....It was all very bizarre

I just watched the whole segment (fell asleep last night) after reading your take, @lambertman, and I didn't see it that way. 
It seemed to me like the 3 of them have their patter perfected, and the "O.G.s" make cracks just to illicit from Selena her perfectly dismissive-yet-charming smile.
No?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I just watched the whole segment (fell asleep last night) after reading your take, @lambertman, and I didn't see it that way. 
It seemed to me like the 3 of them have their patter perfected, and the "O.G.s" make cracks just to illicit from Selena her perfectly dismissive-yet-charming smile.
No?

isn't it crazy how two people can watch the same show and get an entirely different read on it?  I felt that there was absolutely no repoire between the boys v the girl.  (ps, I'm not arguing or looking to sway you)  LOL  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

isn't it crazy how two people can watch the same show and get an entirely different read on it?  I felt that there was absolutely no repoire between the boys v the girl.  (ps, I'm not arguing or looking to sway you)  LOL  

I could be wrong! 
These days if there is Trouble in Paradise for this trio, we'll be sure to hear about it eventually on social media.

Maybe it's not quite a positive or negative issue. Like maybe the old guys tease her and think her cute smile response means she enjoys it, but she's too polite to tell them she's not enjoying it.
Since the 2 guys tease each other, they might also be trying to include her in their repartee?

Just guessing. 
But I did see her wave them away each time they made a crack at her and before she smiled, so I may be wrong.

• Love 1

A talk show host returning from a break with facial hair is a bit of a trope. They then get some jokes and bits out of it before shaving (Obviously Tuesday wasn't the first time Evie had seen the mustache)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I found the trio interview rather uncomfortable overall. Teasing each other was fine, but Steve Martin twice basically said "me first, then you can talk" to Selena felt weird and unfunny. I don't think SM is necessarily a dick, more that it was just unpleasant. And SG - I know hardly a thing about the woman, but is that how she's always looked and talked? Her face looked bizarrely frozen and she sounded almost like her jaw had been wired shut. Very odd.

The new intro is cool; wonder if it's a bit of an homage to all the behind-the-scenes staff? And John Baptiste must have the most incredible closet of any man on earth. Do you think he keeps all the gorgeous suits or are they property of the LS?

Loved the four excuses song and how all the band members got to participate! 

• Love 3

Weather killed my satellite signal last night, so I didn't see the interview. But I have always gotten the impression that SM is a dick, whenever I've seen him interviewed. He may or may not be one, but he definitely comes across that way, so I'm not surprised if it happened again.

SG was on Seth Meyers' show solo and she was charming. She also has a cosmetics line, so she and Seth put on mascara together. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Disliked Mr. Colbert letting Kacey Musgraves (September 9,2021) pass off indulging in psychodelic mushrooms as 'plant therapy'. Sorry, but three generations of folks 'turning on  and and tuning out' via drugs has wreaked quite enough damage to people's lives, families and communities and has wreaked too much havoc on the world as it is.  He shouldn't have been worried about looking 'uncool' or 'unhip' but truly should have called her out on this. And her resulting song 'Star Crossed' she debuted on the show seemed rather incoherent and pointless- as though she was trying to make significant revelations about love, romance and relationships but  just wound up being a pretentious mess, IMO. Hence, it didn't make the case for  having had 'mind expansion' .

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Disliked Mr. Colbert letting Kacey Musgraves (September 9,2021) pass off indulging in psychodelic mushrooms as 'plant therapy'. Sorry, but three generations of folks 'turning on  and and tuning out' via drugs has wreaked quite enough damage to people's lives, families and communities and has wreaked too much havoc on the world as it is.  He shouldn't have been worried about looking 'uncool' or 'unhip' but truly should have called her out on this. And her resulting song 'Star Crossed' she debuted on the show seemed rather incoherent and pointless- as though she was trying to make significant revelations about love, romance and relationships but  just wound up being a pretentious mess, IMO. Hence, it didn't make the case for  having had 'mind expansion' .

That's what they said about marijuana for decades. And now, it's legal in most states. And mushrooms will soon follow, because, like marijuana, it doesn't wreck havoc on people's lives, families, communities, and the world the way doctor prescribed opioids have!

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

This post↑ made me go watch the Kacey Musgraves segment (youtu.be/sofT6O7ixVM) with an "open mind" (no drugs were involved in the opening of my mind) but I didn't see or hear what you did. I heard Kacey Musgraves clearly say that mushrooms are "not for everybody" which is also true of many psychotropic drugs prescribed by psychiatrists in the treatment of depressive and other mental disorders. 

Moreover, I didn't think Stephen was "worried about looking 'uncool' or 'unhip'" since he made clear his opinion twice; once when he said he was "a little afraid of unlocking the box up there" and then secondly when he said, "My story about going to the [Willie Nelson's] bus, was trying to get off as quickly as I could."
Stephen also verified that Kacey had used the mushrooms with an MD present, which was, to me, a clear "Don't try this at home" message.

I preferred her music video to a lot of music videos that focus on the physicality of sex. 
But given her warning about a beheading, I do not intend to watch more of it.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

The most generous interpretation I can put on Steve Martin's "I go, then you go" to Selena Gomez is that he's a comedian and understood the way the story had to go for there to be a funny pay-off. But, yeah, I've always though he was a bit of a dick, or at least cold, but I still enjoy his work and will eventually break down and get Hulu. Martin Short, is sort of the opposite for me because I dislike almost everything he does but is mostly likable in interviews. This was the first time I'd seen Selena Gomez and she seemed nice enough, patient with the old men, but I did keep wondering why her face didn't move.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, possibilities said:

Weather killed my satellite signal last night, so I didn't see the interview. But I have always gotten the impression that SM is a dick, whenever I've seen him interviewed. He may or may not be one, but he definitely comes across that way, so I'm not surprised if it happened again.

SG was on Seth Meyers' show solo and she was charming. She also has a cosmetics line, so she and Seth put on mascara together. 

My mom watches both shows (Seth is her fave), and she noted that SG seemed really nice and looked so much different (better) on Seth. The mannequin look, it seems, was just on Colbert.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Brandi Maxxxx said:

I know what you mean... Mushrooms aren't even plants!

Miss Musgraves was the one who termed partaking in that particular fungus as 'plant therapy' - not I! 

My disdain for partaking in  mind altering substances (whether they are found in nature or produced in a factory, etc.) regardless of popularity or being  technically legal comes from observations of loved ones and acquaintances down the decades- not from textbooks!

As to the evident 'result'? IMO, Miss Musgraves's video played on the show seemed rather pretentious and incoherent (and the video just seemed to be a bunch of dancing around in a wedding gown with a very short center part)  so even with her 'it's not for everyone' possible disclaimer, did nothing to sell me on that whatsoever. 

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Miss Musgraves was the one who termed partaking in that particular fungus as 'plant therapy' - not I! 

My disdain for partaking in  mind altering substances (whether they are found in nature or produced in a factory, etc.) regardless of popularity or being  technically legal comes from observations of loved ones and acquaintances down the decades- not from textbooks!

As to the evident 'result'? IMO, Miss Musgraves's video played on the show seemed rather pretentious and incoherent (and the video just seemed to be a bunch of dancing around in a wedding gown with a very short center part)  so even with her 'it's not for everyone' possible disclaimer, did nothing to sell me on that whatsoever. 

Mushrooms and other types of THC products like weed aren't addictive and don't create the types of problems in society that cocaine, meth, and Oxycontin cause. I don't know what your loved ones and acquaintances were taking, but it certainly sounds as if they were of the highly addictive variety, which would rule out weed or mushrooms!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Mushrooms and other types of THC products like weed aren't addictive and don't create the types of problems in society that cocaine, meth, and Oxycontin cause. I don't know what your loved ones and acquaintances were taking, but it certainly sounds as if they were of the highly addictive variety, which would rule out weed or mushrooms!

True. 
But marijuana can cause some users to lose interest in pursuing worthwhile goals. 
(Willie Nelson not being so afflicted.)

17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

True. 
But marijuana can cause some users to lose interest in pursuing worthwhile goals. 
(Willie Nelson not being so afflicted.)

I'm sure anti weed activists tried to make that case with no success, proving any attempts to stop it falls on deaf ears.

Besides, alcohol also makes people lose interest in pursuing worthwhile goals, and is far more addictive and dangerous than marijuana ever could.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 9/13/2021 at 1:40 AM, Victor the Crab said:

Besides, alcohol also makes people lose interest in pursuing worthwhile goals, and is far more addictive and dangerous than marijuana ever could.

Wow, you even lost interest in finishing that sentence. (Me shut up now.)

• LOL 5
58 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I don't really have a definite opinion on these substances, but how many people have an interest in pursuing worthwhile goals to begin with?

Well, certainly not those who are Just Here For Food. {rim shot} 😆

Funny monologue last night.  
I wonder if there was a transitional joke edited out last night between the “Meanwhile” segment’s last joke (about beer)  and the entrance of Supreme Court Justice Breyer.

Breyer was pretty witty in his first segment. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

From Monday's (9/13) broadcast:  The "sex party" joking went on too long. Rather juvenile. I get that it was "schtick" but wonder how Evvie felt hearing her husband saying he wants to get invited to a sex party. Kind of disrespectful and guess that I just expect more from Colbert. I hope this is not going to be a running gag.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ABay said:

I'm going to guess that after decades of marriage, Mrs. Colbert understands when her husband is telling a joke.

No doubt.  Just think, dude, you're 57 years old and wondering why you're not getting invited to sex parties.  Give it a rest.

• Love 2

I mean no disrespect by this because I'm a fan and treasure memories of singing along to Sweeney Todd and A Little Night Music while driving around with my best friend when we were in high school, but what is going on with Sondheim's eyes? I watched the 90th birthday party special and I'm sure he was on camera at least once and I don't remember him looking like that.

On 9/17/2021 at 2:56 PM, ABay said:

I mean no disrespect by this because I'm a fan and treasure memories of singing along to Sweeney Todd and A Little Night Music while driving around with my best friend when we were in high school, but what is going on with Sondheim's eyes? I watched the 90th birthday party special and I'm sure he was on camera at least once and I don't remember him looking like that.

That's a good question! I also noticed that they made sure to show Mr. Sondheim already seated instead of showing him traversing to/ from offstage to the Guest Chair.  It somewhat reminded me of Mary Tyler Moore's last guest role on Hot in Cleveland (2013)  when she was only  shown seated and at a table  (and, as it turned out, had serious vision challenges) after diabetes had  done so much damage to her. At least, Mr. Sondheim's memory was good and he was treated with respect so that's the important thing (even though it does appear that he could have mobility and/or vision issues as the late Mary Tyler Moore did). 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 4

Entertaining interview with Anderson Cooper (Wednesday, September 23,2021). Yes, Mr. Colbert definitely showed how he'd honed his improv skills during the Pandemic ZOOM Months by somewhat bailing out Mr. Cooper from having dead (and dull) air when the Central Park concert had washed out.

Yes, I knew that the late Miss Vanderbilt had somewhat epitomized being an eccentric (if not entirely via her own monies) but I'd never imagined that she'd have actually attempted to pressure Mr. Cooper into having her be a surrogate to her own grandchild by him- at age 85! I don't know via what medical procedures and measures they'd had that Italian woman achieve Miss Vanderbilt's goal. However, it should be pointed out that Miss Vanderbilt  already had  three grandchildren by her eldest son Stan Stokowski but it seems she was on strained if not estranged terms with her eldest son for most if not all of the time Mr. Cooper knew her so I'm not sure how much if any interaction she'd had with them (and her 2nd eldest son had cut himself off from the family entirely almost as soon as he became an adult and only when researching the book Mr. Cooper wrote with Miss Vanderbilt did Mr. Cooper find confirmation of his whereabouts). I wonder if Mr. Cooper will address his older half-brothers and their bond with their mutual parent at all now that she's no longer alive and he doesn't have to worry about upsetting her . He has addressed the turmoil of his older brother Carter Cooper's suicide in front of their mother. And it is known that she DID leave the bulk of her large estate to her youngest son. 

• Useful 1

I guess this is as good a place as any but Drew Carey's appearance on the Tuesday, September 29,2021 highlighted how much more likable he's become since he started hosting The Price is Right than IMO he earlier was on his own sitcom.  I also liked him explaining about his lengthy journey to being invited to sit next to Johnny Carson and what it meant back in the day. And who'd have imagined that Paul McCartney not only is a fan of TPIR but that he actually called out the show during a live performance?

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

And who'd have imagined that Paul McCartney not only is a fan of TPIR but that he actually called out the show during a live performance?

That was such a cute story :D. 

I really liked the interview with him, too, it was really fun. So many great stories. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Blergh said:

And who'd have imagined that Paul McCartney not only is a fan of TPIR but that he actually called out the show during a live performance?

16 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That was such a cute story :D. 

I really liked the interview with him, too, it was really fun. So many great stories. 

After Drew recounted Sir Paul saying something like "I've always been a fan of The Price Is Right" I was really  hoping Drew would have responded "and I've always been a fan of listening to pop songs!".  Fortunately he has a better filter than I have.

But I have to admit I'm not a fan of that suit.  It did look comfortable, though.

• Love 2

I am only catching up with last week's episodes and I have to say, Jon Batiste's outfits are amazing lately. I especially liked the blue suit that he had on what I think was 21st of September - a day before the red jacket in support of Climate week, which also looked great on him. The bright colors are a nice contrast to Stephen's more conservative look.

• Love 9

I love John Lithgow :D. That dramatic reading and the accompanying drawings were fantastic. 

His story about going off stage during a play and forgetting to come back on was hilarious, too XD. Kudos to Glenn Close for handling that so smoothly. 

• Love 2

As soon as John Lithgow was announced as the first guest, followed by the announcement that Stephen was next going to be talking to Rudi Giuliani, I knew we were going to be watching comedy gold. And we were not disappointed. That might have been Lithgow's best performance of Rudy, and that's saying something.

Of course, I watched the initial showing when I was baked, and was LMAO. When I watched it the second time, sober, it was still fuckin' funny!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2