Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Seven Episode Talk

• Start Topic

That fake trailer was some solid writing. I can totally see a movie like that being made, along with all those time puns.

I liked the interview with Galadriel, she seems very nice and down to Earth. I liked how she described the lambing process.

• Love 2

What is it with men who are old enough that their mamas would have taught them better, appearing on TV with their hats on indoors?  Ron Howard last night, and now James Taylor.  Surely you don't think anyone cares that you don't have the hairline you had when you burst onto the scene at age 3 or whatever.

Just kidding.  Ron Ronny and James Sweet Baby James can come sit on my couch any time, and reminisce or sing or whatever, hat or no hat.

Edited by SoMuchTV
updated to more clearly reflect how I think of them
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

Wow. Thursday night/Friday morning could have been a Valentines Day Special.
First James Taylor tells the incredibly moving story in his own rambling way of meeting his "best friend"/wife in 1995, Caroline Smedvig.
Then Colman Domingo comes out and recounts his own fantastically romantic meeting of his husband 17 years ago. 

59 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

What is it with men who are old enough that their mamas would have taught them better, appearing on TV with their hats on indoors?  Ron Howard last night, and now James Taylor.  Surely you don't think anyone cares that you don't have the hairline you had when you burst onto the scene at age 3 or whatever.

Just kidding.  Ron and James can come sit on my couch any time, and reminisce or sing or whatever, hat or no hat.

Both had hats with brims, so I figured they served to keep the bright lights out of their eyes (especially for James Taylor while playing), with keeping their shiny heads from reflecting light into the camera as just a bonus.
But my father always had a combover, and my uncle has worn a "rug" for over 40 years, so I'm just making stuff up.
But, yeah, it's their style. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Then Colman Domingo comes out and recounts his own fantastically romantic meeting of his husband 17 years ago. 

I actually said, "Aw..." after that story :). Talk about your "meet cute" moment. 

• Love 2
On 8/2/2022 at 1:37 PM, DXD526 said:

Did anyone else think Stephen was a little miffed at Patton Oswalt for bringing up the Comic Con panel? I don't think Stephen was happy with the friendly criticism! He seemed kind of annoyed for the rest of the interview, IMO. 

I thought Stephen was quite irritated and yes, it carried through the entire interview. I think Patton Oswalt realized he’d said the wrong thing too.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, Songbird said:

I thought Stephen was quite irritated and yes, it carried through the entire interview. I think Patton Oswalt realized he’d said the wrong thing too.

I remember feeling very uncomfortable about it when it aired, but rewatching this 5 minute segment just now, it didn’t seem so bad. 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

Of all the nights for Stephen not to be live!!!!! 😉

I thought the same thing! Tomorrow night's monologue should be something, though...

Regarding tonight's monologue and Stephen referring to Alex Jones as "the worst human on earth" - he's being polite in referring to him as "human"!

I will never tire of the talk about Jones' trial, though. Between that and other big goings-ons, it seems schadenfreude is getting quite the workout this week :p!

(LOL. "They didn't cover this in Legally Blonde..." And "Every picture of you is a dick." XD.)

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2

I'm no prude by any means, but I kept thinking, why is Mindy Kaling exposing her bra/bralette/corset(??) for all and sundry to see? It was nowhere near a camisole. It looked like a fucking BRA. And only partially covered by the sides of her jacket.

It was so distracting I couldn't really concentrate on their discussion.

Sorry, Senator Murphy. But Manchin is still an ASSHOLE, no matter how nice he was to the victims of Sandy Hook.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm no prude by any means, but I kept thinking, why is Mindy Kaling exposing her bra/bralette/corset(??) for all and sundry to see? It was nowhere near a camisole. It looked like a fucking BRA. And only partially covered by the sides of her jacket.

It was so distracting I couldn't really concentrate on their discussion.

St. Vincent wore the same bra-with-blazer combo every night of her week with the Stay Human band. 

• Love 1

OMG - Jon is leaving the show!  I'm devastated!!  Truly.  

Although, I do like Louis, so maybe as I get more familiar with him, I'll grow to love him.  

But really...  I'm gonna miss Jon on my TV every night.  I do look forward to seeing him live in concert at some point soon. 

• Sad 5
  • Love 2

Well I suspected it was coming, and Stephen just announced it. Jon's leaving the show. But Louis and the band are sticking around!

Not a surprise, as Jon's star is rising like a rocket, and it's well deserved. And I think Stephen and the band are genuinely happy for him. I just hope he's a frequent guest!

ETA: I have to say, I'm amazed that this didn't get out after taping -- they kept this under wraps!

• Love 8

Pretty much sums up everything I was going to say, @saoirse. I'm sad to hear this news as well. But I wish Jon all the continued success imaginable, and I look forward to any opportunity he has to pop in and say hi :). 

And congrats to Louis Cato on his new role on the show! Yeah. He's got this :). He'll be a worthy successor. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I'm slow. This was the first time I noticed how the light panels in the background (don't know what those are called) change depending on guests. When the press secretary was on, they were white, red and blue and when Tatiana Maslany was on, they were blue and green, probably because of her She-Hulk role. I noticed sometime before the white, red and blue combination, but I didn't pay it much mind. Now I realize it must be deliberate when they have some politicians or similar guests. I went back to watch some previous interviews with actors and they had some bland blue and orange colors.

Gonna miss Jon too, hope it's because of his success and not because of some health emergency. Do we know if other members of the band have changed? Stephen called them The Late Show Band, but they were previously called Stay Human, correct? Is the change because of Jon's leaving?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I can't really add to what has already been said...I will definitely miss Jon, but have grown to love Louis Cato. "The Late Show Band" sounds very generic as opposed to "Stay Human"...I'm really not sure why they are changing the name. Too bad we didn't get an in-person sendoff with Joe Walsh jumping out of the cake. 😂

I too am looking forward to Jon's next album...

IMG_20220812_071807.jpg

• Love 5

The news about Jon was not a surprise to me.

Best of luck to him.

Wednesday's show had me cracking up in the monologue, when the quote Stephen was reading turned out to be Capone's. So apt. I'm loving Stephen's contempt and sarcasm here.

And last night was just as hilarious.

Now granted, it's been YEARS since I watched my animated Hulk, that was voiced by the awesome Neal McDonough in the 90s and Michael Bell in the 80s, but the reason why Jennifer can control her "hulking" and not be a raging beast is because she wasn't exposed to all those gamma rays, and got the powers from a blood transfusion Bruce gave her. So it's...muted.

I don't know if that history has changed or not, but that's how she's not turning into a raging beast, and NOT because of some stupid men v. women reasoning bullshit -women can control/suppress emotion-- that Tatiana Maslany was spouting. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

I can't really add to what has already been said...I will definitely miss Jon, but have grown to love Louis Cato. "The Late Show Band" sounds very generic as opposed to "Stay Human"...I'm really not sure why they are changing the name.

Wild ass guess... Batiste, his legal representation or his production company own the rights to the name "Stay Human".  Because he's no longer working for CBS or Colbert's production company, he took the name with him. Batiste Inc. may have decided the name is more valuable for him than CBS et.al. if there were any discussions about selling or licensing the name.

I vaguely remember something like this happening when Letterman & Shaffer jumped to CBS and NBC was getting pissy about what he could or he couldn't bring to the new show.  What do we now name it? Late Show Band/CBS Orchestra/World's Most Dangerous Band?

Probably more about IP rights than anything else. 

Edited by kib
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, kib said:

Wild ass guess... Batiste, his legal representation or his production company own the rights to the name "Stay Human".  Because he's no longer working for CBS or Colbert's production company, he took the name with him. Batiste Inc. may have decided the name is more valuable for him than CBS et.al. if there were any discussions about selling or licensing the name.

I vaguely remember something like this happening when Letterman & Shaffer jumped to CBS and NBC was getting pissy about what he could or he couldn't bring to the new show.  What do we now name it? Late Show Band/CBS Orchestra/World's Most Dangerous Band?

Probably more about IP rights than anything else. 

Yeah, I figured it was something like that. Still, "The Late Show Band" is a rather dull, uncreative name. Unless they're using it as a temp name until they come up with a cooler name. 

This will always be my favorite Jon moment on the show. Remember this? 😉😁🦃

images.jpg

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ShadowKnight2 said:

Jon Batiste leaving?😢

Yeah. I'm a little verklempt too over Jon Batiste leaving the show.
But Jon is so pure, and the show's writing always dips into the raunch, so it's probably for the best, even if his family health woes are what brought it about. 

• Hugs 1
  • Love 3

Plus Jon with his joyous personality and colorful suits...sigh. He will truly be missed, but I am sure he'll be back as a guest sooner rather than later. It's just a bummer that he didn't have a real sendoff. He didn't even phone or Zoom in. It's an exit that feels...unresolved.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

Plus Jon with his joyous personality and colorful suits...sigh. He will truly be missed, but I am sure he'll be back as a guest sooner rather than later. It's just a bummer that he didn't have a real sendoff. He didn't even phone or Zoom in. It's an exit that feels...unresolved.

Maybe Jon’s first guest appearance will be used in part as an opportunity to acknowledge his departure. Maybe they can show a couple of clips from the past.

A daughter who plays piano happened to see the show the first week in February this year when visiting Manhattan friends and the guy gave her his ticket so she could go with his wife. My daughter raved about the band. I just texted her to verify that Jon was there that night:

F2D178A5-A89B-47ED-A953-1D5F47FFF94F.thumb.jpeg.fbcee314420e31fa8c121c159d02b855.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, SHD said:

The Severence piece was wonderfully done and I loved all the references to The Office.

I don't watch that show, but now I'm interested in it. It was really well done, I think that Stephen always likes having a chance to act again.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I will miss Jon so much.  He always seems so nice and so genuine.  He's one of those people whose sunshine cuts through the gloom.  I'm not surprised he would leave.  He now has an Oscar and a Grammy.  I know he took extended leave to deal with his wife's health issues.  I hope he comes back to the show for a sendoff.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Saw this on Instagram and started cracking up.  Potato iz choice.

Screenshot_20220818-131127_Instagram.jpg

That is hilarious...thank you so much!! Actually, I just finished a cup of microwavable instant mashed potatoes...is potato. 🥔😉😂

P.S. I still think LSSC missed the boat by not making and selling their own "is potato" merchandise!! 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

P.S. I still think LSSC missed the boat by not making and selling their own "is potato" merchandise!! 

I agree. I had my credit card standing by to purchase some LSSC "is potato" merchandise which proceeds would have gone to a good cause. They could have partnered with Penzeys spices. They sell [is] Potato of Love

• Hugs 1
  • Love 2

I checked the titantv site to see if there’s a new show tonight. It looks like it’s a rerun of the one with the Pod Save America guys, but the description is “Actor Jon Favreau, comic Jon Lovett and commentator Tommy Vietor;”. Not sure if that’s supposed to be a joke or not. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

In the past, I was alway secretly happy with these breaks, because sometimes I have trouble to keep on track with all episodes, so I was glad to have some time to catch up. But recently it seems to me that each break is exactly at a time something is happening that I would love to hear Stephen's comments on. 

• Like 2
  • Love 5
32 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

In the past, I was alway secretly happy with these breaks, because sometimes I have trouble to keep on track with all episodes, so I was glad to have some time to catch up. But recently it seems to me that each break is exactly at a time something is happening that I would love to hear Stephen's comments on. 

agreed about the unfortunate timing vis a vie the news cycle. and while i do understand the need for the show to take a break now and then, in recent months it seems as though these breaks have been coming far more frequently than in the past — frustrating — even annoying!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

Every time Stephen (and John Oliver and so forth) take a break, I do find myself thinking, "Okay, so what big news do we need to brace for that's going to break while they're gone now?"

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

Same. I keep expecting to see an announcement of an extra/bonus episode just because of all the joke-worthy crap going on.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

I just wish all of them wouldn't go on break at the same time. Seth, Trevor, Stephen, etc seem to coordinate their schedules and all take off at the same time.

I just went on YouTube, and “The Problem With Jon Stuart” popped up covering the current craptastic event:   
https://youtu.be/Dcm4q9MdhEY

There are probably others too.

But I agree, it’s like all topical late night comedians went on hiatus like it’s high school Senior Ditch Day instead of making sure someone signed up to empty the cat’s litter box. 

Oh well. 
Just one more week of radio television silence, and then Hello Season 8!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Once upon a time, everything came to a halt in the month of August - cities shut down, the Queen went to Balmoral, the late night show hosts took most of the month off, and there was no 'news'. That's clearly changing, but the breaks for the late night hosts (and others) are still in their contracts. News is 24/7 now, even when it isn't.

• Like 3
  • Love 2