Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Seven Episode Talk

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

Does anyone know if this week is live?  I really want to see what they do with "the slap heard around the world". 

It's new episode tonight, with Chris Wallace and Wilmer Valderrama as guests. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Steve revealing that he had been punched in the face and how it effected him was kind of reality check regarding the Oscars.

I wondered how much of the back-and-forth with Chris Wallace about Chris not wanting to rehash his reasons for leaving Fox were scripted. Probably it was just: Steve and Chris make clear this is not worth discussing. People can Google.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Steve revealing that he had been punched in the face and how it effected him was kind of reality check regarding the Oscars.

Yes! I wanted to know more about that!

• Love 2
On 3/29/2022 at 7:59 AM, shapeshifter said:

Is this why he's barely talked about the incident? I have to admit I was disappointed, I wanted to hear what he had to say about it more.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Is this why he's barely talked about the incident? I have to admit I was disappointed, I wanted to hear what he had to say about it more.

I think Stephen sharing his own PTS about being punched in the face said everything he had to say about the matter.

• Love 2
On 3/29/2022 at 12:02 AM, Prairie Rose said:

Does anyone else giggle helplessly at "is potato"? 😂😂😂😂😂

Yes. Every time. I am hoping they do a fundraiser shirt (perhaps for World Central Kitchen) with it. 

Is potato.

• Love 13

I liked Mr. Colbert's interview with Ken Burns and Mandy Patinkin about the new Benjamin Franklin docu! GREAT to see the latter two having bonded over this somewhat  flawed but  nonetheless intriguing and vital US Founding Father.  This is the kind of interview I like on the show- with history being linked to current relevance which all three made good cases for. Though, on a shallow note, I don't get why Mr. Burns bothered to grow out a goatee since its SO white that, with his pale complexion, it virtually looks as though he has no facial hair whatsoever.

I also can't help but think that Mr. Franklin would have been amused at the idea of a Jewish man descended from Eastern European immigrants voicing Mr. Franklin's own words- and how THAT choice would have ruffled many of his fellow US citizens' feathers back then! 

I missed seeing Mr. Batiste at his usual spot (whom I can count on to keep the  class whenever crass  seems ready to overwhelm)  but it's cool that he's getting ready to see if he might nab any (if not all) those ELEVEN Grammy nominations coming up!

• Love 2

I liked that he went straight to congratulating Jon on his win. Jon deserves all the credit he gets.

Also, thank you, Stephen, for the "Let's pull the "possible" out of that sentence." Seeing all those possible/potential/alledged/etc. words has been almost physically hurting in the past few days. I know the investigation has to proceed according to the rules, but like he said, there's no question there.

• Love 7

Congrats to Jon...who truly can do it all. I would not be surprised if he became an EGOT sooner rather than later. I love how Stephen is such a proud papa when it comes to Jon's achievements.

Of course, last night I lost it at the mention of "is potato". Yes, I am easily amused. 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

Congrats to Jon...who truly can do it all. I would not be surprised if he became an EGOT sooner rather than later. I love how Stephen is such a proud papa when it comes to Jon's achievements.

I certainly wish him that. Which one is he missing? He already has Oscar, I think.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

Congrats to Jon...who truly can do it all. I would not be surprised if he became an EGOT sooner rather than later.

1 minute ago, JustHereForFood said:

I certainly wish him that. Which one is he missing? He already has Oscar, I think.

Next stop: Broadway!
(For Jon to handily capture a Tony)

1 minute ago, Prairie Rose said:

He needs an Emmy...

Good! --if that will keep him with us and Stephen a little while longer. 

23 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

Of course, last night I lost it at the mention of "is potato". Yes, I am easily amused. 😂

Same! 

But, oh. Shaquille O'Neal's interview felt like the most uncomfortable I can recall seeing--although my memory is slipping--maybe Shaq's is too? Or they just didn't have time to rehearse?
Shaq's awkward interview made Mayim's seem smooth as silk in comparison.
Except.
I have to ask rhetorically: What was she wearing??!?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Also, thank you, Stephen, for the "Let's pull the "possible" out of that sentence." Seeing all those possible/potential/alledged/etc. words has been almost physically hurting in the past few days. I know the investigation has to proceed according to the rules, but like he said, there's no question there.

Agreed. On a similar topic, I couldn't believe that whole story about the Ukrainians and the poison. Holy shit

And on a much lighter note, so Lenny Kravitz and Stephen Colbert are just two weeks apart in age? Wow. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

And on a much lighter note, so Lenny Kravitz and Stephen Colbert are just two weeks apart in age? Wow. 

Yup, both were born in May 1964. Stephen was born on the 13th, Lenny on the 26th.

• Useful 2

It was so precious <3. 

I love that after the show Jon ate half his food and went to sleep XD. Sounds like a good idea to me - I can only imagine how exhausted he must be after all of this. 

• Love 4

Did you notice during the opening (when they announce the names of the guests and "featuring Jon Batiste") that Jon had a Grammy in his left hand? (I'm pretty sure it was added digitally.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Stephen looked like a proud papa the way he gushed over Jon B these past two nights. Can't say I blame him though. Jon B is someone you'd like to hang out with!

Jon strikes me as a rarely sincere spiritual person who tries not to be negative. A truly beautiful human.
But even he briefly referenced the hangers-on types who showed up in addition to his close family at the Grammys, ostensibly as part of his party. I sensed that he had so much to do (rehearse, red carpet, etc. --plus his fatally ill bride at home) that he couldn't help but disdain at least a little bit these celebrity leeches who contributed nothing but sucked what little "extra" time and energy he [did not really] have to give.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Jon strikes me as a rarely sincere spiritual person who tries not to be negative. A truly beautiful human.
But even he briefly referenced the hangers-on types who showed up in addition to his close family at the Grammys, ostensibly as part of his party. I sensed that he had so much to do (rehearse, red carpet, etc. --plus his fatally ill bride at home) that he couldn't help but disdain at least a little bit these celebrity leeches who contributed nothing but sucked what little "extra" time and energy he [did not really] have to give.

It's great to see that Mr. Batiste is shrewd about users yet somehow seems to have avoided becoming cynical ('be as innocent as doves but cunning as serpents')and that he tries his best to concentrate on the positive despite the truly agonizing ordeal that he and his bride are having to endure while hoping and praying that she can regain her health! 

• Love 8

Good interview with Anderson Cooper. I'm glad that he is back home with his kids and away from potential harm. To be honest, I was very surprised to see that he was in Ukraine so soon after having a new kid. But I like his approach, it's very human. Also, thanks for shedding light on the very serious problem with EU still buying gas from russia and financing the war that way. I am continually ashamed of that.

On another topic, that law about changing the age for marriage sounds disgusting.

• Love 7
(edited)

Yes, I LOL'd at this one:

24 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

277732162_2832375373573862_3263838289923349484_n.jpg

• "The latest package will, amongst other things, ban all new investment in Russia.
    "Well, you got to.
    "Otherwise, their soaring economy is an irresistible cash magnet.
    "Before the war started, I was ready to put all my money into their hot new ride-sharing app, Tuber.
    "Yes, Tuber.
    "You know their motto:
    "'is potato.'"
    (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WghDAX9waZc&t=57s)

Disclaimer: I have no clue about world economies; I just enjoy a good "is potato" joke.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

On a lighter note...😂😂😂😂😂

FOAr-WKWQAck4ZZ.jpg

277732162_2832375373573862_3263838289923349484_n.jpg

So did any Survivor fans wonder if Tuber is a Potato then am I a Tuber? since "a Potato has skin and I have skin, so am I am Potato?"

• LOL 3
5 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

Since we can't have Stephen's bad impersonation of the previous president anymore, him saying "...is potato" is a pretty good consolation prize!

I do like the current thing of having kids reading out TFG's statements. Though I also can't help feeling that's a bit of an insult to children :p 

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I do like the current thing of having kids reading out TFG's statements. Though I also can't help feeling that's a bit of an insult to children :p 

As the aunt of young kids, I completely agree. Still, I do love the ingenuity of #HeWhoShallBeNamed.

• Love 3

Such interesting timing to hear the stories about Pelosi and other officials being sick with COVID, and Pete Holmes also having recently had it. My mom and I just spent these last few days sick with COVID as well, and my sister had it last week. It basically felt like a really crappy cold for all of us, thanks to our being vaccinated and all, but still... We're doing much better now, though, thankfully.

So to Pelosi and all those who recently tested positive, speedy recovery wishes and my sympathies. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

I have forgotten the origin of the potato jokes. Can someone remind me?

I don't know what the thought process behind it was, but I suspect someone went on the internet for a few minutes to search for the first stereotype about russia and came away with potato. I know that you guys find it hilarious, but I cringe each time.

(edited)
9 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

…stereotype about russia and came away with potato. I know that you guys find it hilarious, but I cringe each time.

Sorry. Is that because the potato 🥔 is representative of people beset by hard times and hunger—–whether due to harsh climate or social conditions–—and whether Russian or Irish?  

If so, that’s understandable.

But I guess I feel entitled to laugh for familial ethnic reasons, as well as a couple of winters when my kids and I did have potatoes perhaps a little too often due to budgetary constraints. 
Maybe Stephen feels entitled too, because of his Irish roots and having grown up in a very large family?

See also: Van Gogh's "The Potato Eaters": 
https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/the-potato-eaters/7gFcKarE9QeaXw

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
(edited)

Could they be using potatoes due to borscht being tough   to illustrate and/or for the average US viewer to identify?

Edited by Blergh
  • Useful 1

I was wondering about potatoes, too.  So I did a little research.

POTATOES IN RUSSIA

The beginning of potato cultivation in Russia is usually associated with the name of Peter I. There is a version that Peter I, having got acquainted with the potato in Holland and appreciated it, sent a bag of potatoes to Count Sheremetev with a strict order to breed it in Russia. The history of Russian potatoes seems to have begun with this bag of potatoes. However, there is no information about the fate of this royal parcel. If it actually took place, it was only one of the ways the potato entered our country.

At first, potatoes in Russia, as, indeed, everywhere else, were considered an outlandish exotic vegetable. It was served as a rare and tasty dish at palace balls and banquets, And then the potatoes were sprinkled not with salt, but with sugar.

Already in 1764-1776. potatoes were cultivated in small quantities in the gardens of St. Petersburg, Novgorod, near Riga and in other places.

Gradually, Russian people learned more about the benefits of potatoes. More than 200 years ago, in one of the articles of the journal “Works and Translations, for the benefit and entertainment of employees”, dedicated to potatoes, it was said that earthen apples (we have already noticed that potatoes were called that at first) are a pleasant and healthy food. It was pointed out that potatoes can be used to bake bread, cook porridge, cook pies and dumplings. Baked potatoes were one of Pushkin's favorite dishes, and he often served them to his guests.

With the development of capitalism, the production of potatoes in Russia grew from year to year, and its purpose and use became wider and more diverse. At first, potatoes were used only for food, then they began to use them as feed for livestock, and with the growth of the starch-treacle and distillery (alcohol) industries, they became the main raw material for processing into starch, molasses and alcohol.

So Russia became the “second homeland” of potatoes. Now, perhaps, there is no more popularly beloved “Russian” vegetable than potatoes. In modern Russian cuisine, there are many thousands of a wide variety of dishes using potatoes.

Also:

Although potatoes had become widely familiar in Russia by 1800, they were confined to garden plots until the grain failure in 1838–39 persuaded peasants and landlords in central and northern Russia to devote their fallow fields to raising potatoes. Potatoes yielded from two to four times more calories per acre than grain did, and eventually came to dominate the food supply in Eastern Europe. Boiled or baked potatoes were cheaper than rye bread, just as nutritious, and did not require a gristmill for grinding. On the other hand, cash-oriented landlords realised that grain was much easier to ship, store and sell, so both grain and potatoes coexisted.

Nevertheless, the Russian Federation remains a "potato giant", with output second only to China in 2007, and the average Russian consumes a hearty 130 kg of potatoes a year. More than 90 percent of Russian potatoes are grown on household plots and private farms, with average yields of 13 tonnes per hectare. Pests and diseases are a major problem: as much as 4 million tonnes are lost annually to Colorado beetle, late blight and viruses. (Source: International Year of the Potato)

TL:DR

Potatoes sustained the Russians during long cold winters.  They are nutritious and grow well in Russia’s soil and climate.  They are a staple food in their cuisine.

• Useful 7
  • Love 1