Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Seven Episode Talk

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Never,  ever bet on Stephen in a mascot race. 😉😂

gettyimages-1234799769-612x612.jpg

Cute, funny account on Mr. Colbert's part re his Milwaukee Apology Sausage Run ( BTW, I wonder if things might have gone better for him had he invited Henry 'The Fonz' Winkler along). 

However, since there's no actual sausage or hot dog that even remotely resembles Mr. Colbert, perhaps it might have worked better had he dressed up as an ice-cream cone and did his run as that  since he DOES have a Ben and Jerry's Official Flavor named for him! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I'm actually starting to hate watch this show. I used to be such a fan of Colbert, but he seems to have really lost something. Has the writing team changed? He just doesn't seem like he knows what he's talking about half the time. I hate it.

• Love 1
On 10/3/2021 at 12:08 AM, possibilities said:

I'm actually starting to hate watch this show. I used to be such a fan of Colbert, but he seems to have really lost something. Has the writing team changed? He just doesn't seem like he knows what he's talking about half the time. I hate it.

Yeah, something about him is annoying me lately, but I don't really know that I can articulate it. I've never wanted an audience back, because I feel like it just kinda makes him feel phonier as a person. I feel like he's acting when he's in front of a crowd, and I felt like I was getting more or less the real him when he's by himself. I know he hated it because he said so, but being forced to get the real him instead of him "performing" made me connect more to him. It felt more honest. And I heard him SAY in an interview he was more honest when there's no crowd, so that bugs me too. He confessed that he's not as honest with all those people there and that makes me feel like I'm just watching an act.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Yeah, something about him is annoying me lately, but I don't really know that I can articulate it. I've never wanted an audience back, because I feel like it just kinda makes him feel phonier as a person. I feel like he's acting when he's in front of a crowd, and I felt like I was getting more or less the real him when he's by himself. I know he hated it because he said so, but being forced to get the real him instead of him "performing" made me connect more to him. It felt more honest. And I heard him SAY in an interview he was more honest when there's no crowd, so that bugs me too. He confessed that he's not as honest with all those people there and that makes me feel like I'm just watching an act.

I so agree with you. We enjoyed the “under produced” shows and now have mostly stopped watching unless there is a guest we are interested in. 

Party of 1 here:
I prefer Stephen and other late night hosts when they are performing in front of a live audience. 
Seeing SC take notice of the audience reactions, pause for laughter, etc. enrich the experience of watching for me. 
But then I'm also the one who found Evie's giggling in the background annoying.

I am also not a sports person and could not sit through the recent Wisconsin bit--which didn't have a studio audience either.
However, I did appreciate that by SC going to Wisconsin, he was sort of a Good Will Ambassador for folks who think like he and I do.

• Love 5

As I think I mentioned before, Mock the Week found a good middle ground between no live audience and full or partial studio audience by having a wall of audience members zooming in from their own homes. So they had a live audience with live audience reaction (and interaction as Dara or one of the others usually makes at least one comment about someone on the wall) but not present in the studio. I don't understand why no one tried that on a US show.

• Useful 1

I suppose for me, it depends on the host. I preferred Trevor Noah and John Oliver without an audience, but with Stephen, I like both versions. I agree that he seemed more honest when he was just in the office (by the way, I preferred him in the office than in his home), but he really seems to feed off the audience and he looks younger and more energized now, at least to me. I think it is his theatre background.

• Love 7

It's not just the audience pandering, it's also the quality of the commentary. Before the pandemic, with an audience, he still had sharp critiques and his monologues seemed to actually be genuinely informed and carefully crafted. Now they seem shallow and lazy and misleading and kind of weak, IMO. 

• Love 2

Yeah, I think I read something once about how he had surgery on that ear when he was a kid or something like that, and that's why it's bent the way it is (and why he's also deaf in that ear). He's done a trick before where he's shown how he can bend that ear and have it pop back out :p.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I really liked Stephen running the show from home with family as crew. His stint in the office closet, eh. I very much enjoy Stephen with the audience, even if it might seem different now that we've seen the other sides. He seems to draw energy from the audience and the band, which makes me as a viewer feel more relaxed. His interviewing skills are still spotty; perhaps the occasional Zoom glitchiness allowed more room for error!

I don't necessarily think he's being less authentic now, but just showcasing a different side. In my job as a tutor I often say to myself "okay... SHOWTIME!" right before starting a session. I'm still totally me, but it revs me up a bit and reminds me that I must capture the student's interest each and every time. I get a similar vibe from Stephen on stage.

(Now Trevor Noah? Oh man, don't get me started. He was absolutely brilliant in quarantine and I desperately want him to go back "home" for his shows.)

I also wonder if the recent lack of those excellent heart-felt monologues is somewhat a result of the current administration being slightly more sane than the nuclear dumpster fire being pissed on with acid from Satan's dick than the former was.

• Love 9

I've been complaining a lot about the show and almost didn't watch this week, but I saw they had Adam Schiff as a guest and I decided to see what he had to say, so I watched. And it seems to me that the show has gotten back in balance-- all week it turns out the show seems like it is back to how it was before the lock downs, where the writing is good, and the audience's presence is in balance with the rest of the production and not such a dominating factor.

I don't think it's just me getting used to it. I think they've course corrected, basically back to pre-pandemic flow. Good for them!

• Love 8

Late on this comment, but I thoroughly enjoyed the John Leguizamo "car-dancing" segment. I think they might want to retire the Colbert Questionnaire (the first couple times it may have been semi-off-the-cuff, but since everyone knows the questions in advance now...) and replace it with some old school hip hop dance time. 

• Love 2

IMO, that was a rather blah interview with Tony Hale which seemed to be mostly himself and Mr. Colbert laughing at his own alleged wit and barely plugging the latest movie (his ostensible reason for being on the show) .

No, IMO  nothing offensive but nothing funny or clever either. Truly, they could have just had Mr. Hale pop in for a visit in Mr. Colbert's green room during pre production and let the two of them have their supposed fun on their own and the show would have been fine if they'd kept it to themselves. 

OK, I know it's a bit late to weigh in but I was a bit appalled that Miss Couric actually BRAGGED about editing an interview with the late Justice Ginsberg because she (Miss Couric) didn't want the older woman to get any flak. Justice Ginsberg always spoke her mind,  knew what she was saying, meant what she said, wasn't afraid of flak  and had FAR more maturity and gravitas to the end than Miss Couric could ever  hope for. Journalists (though  I use the term loosely with Miss Couric) are supposed to REPORT the news- not attempt to shape it.  Oh, and I was disappointed in Mr. Colbert for not calling Miss Couric on it instead of evidently staying charmed by her when she promoed her bio(and, of course, avoided asking any real questions about Miss Couric's catty and victim-blaming observations). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

little late here, as well. back in the day, the late night format was different: guests weren’t their simply to plug their latest project, so they stuck around. when the next guest came out, the first one simply moved over to make room. there was conversation between the guests as well as the host (talking about johnny carson, here).

i really missed those days and was so hoping that billy porter could have stayed and chatted with annaleigh ashford since both were in ‘kinky boots.’ alas…

• Love 3
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

James Corden also did it pre-pandemic. I don't know what he's doing now.

It’s a mix. It can be two in studio guests at once or a solo in studio guest, and Zoom interviews are also still in play.

Edited by opus
  • Useful 2

I'm a huge fan of Stephen's and I watch his show every night.  But I can't think of a pre-taped segment of his that was as funny as the Paul Rudd interview for Sexiest Man Alive.   Stephen's and Paul Rudd's commitment to the bit was unreal.  How they didn't crack up on tape, I don't know, and I'm sure there are lots of outtakes when one or both did lose it, but that was brilliant comedy.  I kept expecting the gag to end with Paul not getting the title.  I'm  just fine with him getting this honor this year.  There's nothing sexier than a very funny man, IMO, and both Stephen and Paul fit that description in that segment.    

• Love 12

I am not sad at all about the reveal - I thought that when Paul Rudd showed up, he was being a great sport, so when the cover was revealed - well, let's just say there was some squee-ing happening in the saoirse-household. Even my sister posted the cover on my FB this morning, knowing my love for The Rudd!

• Love 3

So here I am in EST, watching The Late Show after 11:35 because Jeff Goldblum is on, and...
OMG!😱😨
Jeff Goldblum has a horrible cough!😧 😱😨
And he's leaning over and talking right in SC's face!!!😳😲😷
I don't care if they're both double vaxxed and boosted.
I am totally freaked out.

ETA:
At least he stopped coughing after the break.
And Jeff and Steve ended the interview with a duet of "You Are My Sunshine."

But hopefully both are well.🙁

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I learn things from Colbert.  Sometimes things I'd rather not know.  Based on last night's show apparently there are folk out there trying to undo their Covid vaccine.  "Borax take my antibodies away".  I laughed but it's really not funny I guess.

Edited by SusannahM
  • Love 2

As if the selection process clip for Sexiest Man Alive was not possibly the funniest thing on this show ever, to follow it up with Paul Rudd's actual interview and massage parlor was *mwah*. Perfection. I cannot live in a world in which Stephen and Paul don't make a movie or do a comedy special together. They are both just so damn genuine and funny and hot. (Paul Rudd had me at the "you know you're gorgeous" line from Clueless. SWOON.)

The double-dose of Sting and Rod Stewart really took me back to my 80s childhood. But that's about all they had in common! Sting is still the man: fit as hell, stylish clothes, and his voice still sounds really great. Rod Stewart, on the other hand, wow... I'm thinking the Robert Palmer identical-back-up-band thing has already been done, and a posse of sexy Caucasian woman (almost all of whom were blonde) feels kind of tone deaf in 2021. (Just my opinion.) Add in the cringe-worthy lyrics about "keeping a secret" and doing it "one more time" from a creaky old senior having a seizure with a mic stand... ugh. But I may be biased. I actually liked "Infatuation" in the day, but "Forever Young" was treacly crap. (Unless you're talking about the Alphaville version.) Plus, I kept thinking about the South Park version of Rod Stewart. Not a good thing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

What's weird is, they had a taping on Thursday. There were tickets posted on 1iota, and a guy on Late Show subreddit mentioned going to the taping. I've asked him for some details, but so far he hasn't replied. 

Edited by Raradra
Typo.
  • Useful 2

I'm going to a taping Dec 14 - I've been to the View and Kelly before and get how this works, but this Colbert one wants us for 3.5 hours?  How do I find out if they're taping 2 shows?  that's  alot of time to take up for a 3 night get away.  Its a Tuesday - and I always thought that Thursdays had the double taping.  

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I'm going to a taping Dec 14 - I've been to the View and Kelly before and get how this works, but this Colbert one wants us for 3.5 hours?  How do I find out if they're taping 2 shows?  that's  alot of time to take up for a 3 night get away.  Its a Tuesday - and I always thought that Thursdays had the double taping.  

I hope your third taping winds up being more enjoyable  for you than I would imagine your previous two tapings likely were but, despite his faults, Mr. Colbert seems far more likable than anyone on those other shows (as does Mr. Batiste and the band members). 

• Love 1

Robert Plant and Allison Krauss on the show tonight.  I've been tuning in to all the stuff they've done recently.  The NPR Music Listening Party today on YouTube was quite good. 

When we went to a taping of the show, they told us to start lining up around 2ish (or maybe 3ish) and the taping started at 5:30, so it goes most of the afternoon.  Line up, check in, wait in the lobby, get seated, warm-up comic, Stephen takes questions...  it's a time suck, but totally worth it.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
On 11/19/2021 at 11:46 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

Can I please ask for a request?

Could you please give us a report about your experience at the taping when you do go? What it was like and how Stephen interacted with the audience when they weren’t taping?

I ask this because, back in the days of back to back episodes of TDS/TCR, people would attend taping of these shows and post their experiences there over at TWoP. We all lived for these posts, and I myself proudly posted my experiences when I attended.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
On 11/20/2021 at 4:11 PM, Victor the Crab said:

Can I please ask for a request?

Could you please give us a report about your experience at the taping when you do go? What it was like and how Stephen interacted with the audience when they weren’t taping?

I ask this because, back in the days of back to back episodes of TDS/TCR, people would attend taping of these shows and post their experiences there over at TWoP. We all lived for these posts, and I myself proudly posted my experiences when I attended.

absolutely I will.  I know I posted about my first View taping 2 years ago, I went again this past September and I don't think I posted it.  I'm still not over the anger that I went back expecting something different and nothing had changed ( the hosts don't even acknowledge the audience, they thank us on TV, but that's all for show).  For Kelly, I think posted there too.  From everything I've read, Colbert actually talks to the audience between breaks, maybe it comes from his improv days and he can handle the banter.  Who knows?  lol

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Colbert’s monologue last night was both funny and informative, which was followed by Andrew Garfield, who was a wonderful guest, and who Colbert did an expert job of interviewing.

That was a very nice interview with Garfield, yes. Especially when he started talking about his mom, and celebrating one's life. I liked when Garfield said something about how Stephen tends to people's wounds each night, too :).

I also liked Stephen's take on the Rittenhouse verdict in the monologue. And I appreciate him clearing up just what an NFT is for people. Sounds rather pointless and dumb to me, but hey, to each their own, I guess. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 11/24/2021 at 10:44 PM, wonderwoman said:

i noticed this one monday, and just checked the video to make sure i wasn’t hallucinating. but no, jon batiste was indeed wearing what looked like a wedding band. but last night and tonight, no ring. 

any thoughts?

He's not married but has been in a committed bond with the journalist Suleika Jaouad   for the last decade so who knows. 

• Love 1