Type keyword(s) to search

Bill Maher: The Man, the Myth, the Legend (In His Own Mind)

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

His dislike for "liberals" is visceral...wasn't he a liberal once upon a time?

I remember on a show in the not-too-distance past where he referred to himself, during his monologue, in all seriousness, as a liberal. I wish I could remember more details about which show it was, or I'd track it down. But I do remember the comment, because I was absolutely floored. It was well after he'd gotten into the habit of sneering "oh LIBERALS" at the audience when they didn't bust a gut over some joke he had told.

And he's referred to in the media a LOT as a liberal. I really hate to make blanket "in the media" statements but it's true more often than not. 

But I did find a couple of interesting articles in my research. This one speaks for itself: https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/10/05/phony-liberalism-bill-maher

And there's this article from Rolling Stone, in which he plainly describes himself as a "libertarian" and more of a "Goldwater/Reagan"  Republican. It's from 1999, but I don't think things have really changed too much for him, except ~maybe~ he's not quite so blatantly sexist in his speech. Which is not to say he's not any less sexist, he just puts up slightly more pretense now than he used to. https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/checking-in-with-bill-maher-in-1999-69781/. There's more than a few sentences that are really quite nauseating.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Bill has mainly refered to himself as a Libertarian.  Libertarianism tends to be 'right-wing' on economic issues but 'left-wing' on social issues.  Bill wants the freedom to do what he wants with his money and for any women who sleep with him to have free access to abortions and he needs to be able to smoke pot whenever he wants.  Nobody gave him a free education; he sold pot to get through college and make enough money to start off in comedy. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2
On 6/27/2021 at 6:34 PM, littlepaw said:

And he's referred to in the media a LOT as a liberal. I really hate to make blanket "in the media" statements but it's true more often than not.

But now, Bill is about as liberal as Rand Paul. And just as insufferable and obnoxious as the junior senator from Kentucky.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I think I brought this up before but I have noticed this a lot (Not just with people talking about Bill but other folks as well), it would seem the left is moving further and further left.  While what was once considered center-left is now considered conservative.  I think that Bill falls into that area.  Meaning he was someone who was center-left but now that our left has moved further left he is no longer viewed as being liberal. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, BK1978 said:

I think I brought this up before but I have noticed this a lot (Not just with people talking about Bill but other folks as well), it would seem the left is moving further and further left.  While what was once considered center-left is now considered conservative.  I think that Bill falls into that area.  Meaning he was someone who was center-left but now that our left has moved further left he is no longer viewed as being liberal. 

"Seems to be moving more left/right" is pretty ambiguous, though. Everybody has their own ideas about what they imagine is center left/right and both sides react to different things going on in the world at that time. I'm sure Bill sees himself as representing what "the left" has always been, but he's not necessarily right about that.

• Love 2

I loved Bill during the Obama years, when he called out Fox News and their “spin” reporting. But, IMO, the other stations have learned from Fox how to get ratings. Now CNN, a station I once considered trustworthy, is horrible. So is MSNBC. I can’t stand to watch any of them, they are all so into slanting every news story. The fact that Bill doesn’t go along blindly with everything the media is selling these days is fine with me.  To me, cancel culture is dangerous and SHOULD be talked about, and talked about often. It’s OK when people we disagree with are canceled, but what about when it starts happening to people we agree with? It’s an awful precedent, and one that the mainstream media has embraced. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Tara said:

But, IMO, the other stations have learned from Fox how to get ratings. Now CNN, a station I once considered trustworthy, is horrible. So is MSNBC. I can’t stand to watch any of them, they are all so into slanting every news story.

But wasn't Bill always complaining that Democrats needed to fight like the Republicans do? Then when that happens he complains again. I've given up trying to understand what he wants, and apparently so has he.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

But wasn't Bill always complaining that Democrats needed to fight like the Republicans do?

Yes, you’re right, he always did say that.  Maybe now he sees firsthand how two wrongs don’t make a right. 😉

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Tara said:

To me, cancel culture is dangerous and SHOULD be talked about, and talked about often. It’s OK when people we disagree with are canceled, but what about when it starts happening to people we agree with? It’s an awful precedent, and one that the mainstream media has embraced.

If it happens to people who we agree with, then it more than likely means the people perpetrating it are from the right and far right, for which someone like Bill should know better. Him standing up for Alex Jones, after his social media platforms were yanked, is an example of such a problem because Jones' insane, over the top, carnival barker style of spreading bullshit have had far dangerous repercussions for the country and society as a whole!

46 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

But wasn't Bill always complaining that Democrats needed to fight like the Republicans do? Then when that happens he complains again. I've given up trying to understand what he wants, and apparently so has he.

IKR? Before the Brett Kavanaugh confirmation hearings started, Bill was complaining that Democrats weren't doing anything, down and dirty, to stop Kavanaugh from being sworn in. Then when stories of Kavanaugh's past started to surface - ie, Christine Blasey Ford - Bill went ape shit over the idea of Democrats bringing her in as a character witness and slammed them for bringing sexual assault and rape into the proceedings. Bill has no foundation for which to to spout off his opinions. That's one of the reasons he's losing more and more fans.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Broderbits said:

The thing with "cancel culture" is it means whatever anybody wants it to mean in the moment and Bill's proven he's happy to say random things that aren't even true without fact-checking. Because it's just about his feeling that certain things that don't bother him sometimes get consequences that he doesn't think are right. He just talks as if we all agree with him underneath and if people don't they're just scared by Twitter. It's just "truthiness" all over. It's his favorite topic, but he can't be bothered to treat it seriously at all.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Love 8

I watched some old clips recently, and man I used to be such a big fan. I still admire so much of his old work. I wonder how much the writers play into old Bill and current Bill. 

On 7/4/2021 at 11:46 AM, sistermagpie said:

The thing with "cancel culture" is it means whatever anybody wants it to mean in the moment and Bill's proven he's happy to say random things that aren't even true without fact-checking. Because it's just about his feeling that certain things that don't bother him sometimes get consequences that he doesn't think are right. He just talks as if we all agree with him underneath and if people don't they're just scared by Twitter. It's just "truthiness" all over. It's his favorite topic, but he can't be bothered to treat it seriously at all.

Yep. There have absolutely been instances where like Bill I don't think the punishment fits the crime, but there are many instances where it's about damn time someone deals with consequences. Bill doesn't seem to think so lately. 

On 7/4/2021 at 12:44 PM, Victor the Crab said:

If it happens to people who we agree with, then it more than likely means the people perpetrating it are from the right and far right, for which someone like Bill should know better. Him standing up for Alex Jones, after his social media platforms were yanked, is an example of such a problem because Jones' insane, over the top, carnival barker style of spreading bullshit have had far dangerous repercussions for the country and society as a whole!

That’s my point, if I understood your meaning correctly. It’s only happening to people on the right. There are many far left people out there whose ideas and words could be classified as “dangerous to society” if one chooses to view them that way. For example, I could imagine a strong argument for silencing those who are publicly saying we should defund the police.

Who gets to choose? Apparently there are those with power who have decided they get to choose. That doesn’t sit well with me, and I understand it not sitting well with Bill. Alex Jones IS an idiot, but when did this country decide it needs to make decisions for us, because we might start believing bullshit? Freedom of speech as long as the liberal media says you can say it. 

• Love 1

I'm not understanding what "cancel culture" has to do with reality. Does it mean people are being denied access to Twitter (full disclosure: I have never Twittered) or other social media platforms? If so, that's not denying anyone's right to free speech and private companies can "cancel" whomever they want. Does it mean someone might lose a speaking engagement or other money-making opportunity? That's contract law and a reminder to read before signing; go get another job at a friendlier venue.

Each of us has a right not to listen to stuff we don't want to hear. It may not be in our best interest, it may be self-destructive, but it's human behavior.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Broderbits said:

I'm not understanding what "cancel culture" has to do with reality. Does it mean people are being denied access to Twitter (full disclosure: I have never Twittered) or other social media platforms? If so, that's not denying anyone's right to free speech and private companies can "cancel" whomever they want. Does it mean someone might lose a speaking engagement or other money-making opportunity? That's contract law and a reminder to read before signing; go get another job at a friendlier venue.

Each of us has a right not to listen to stuff we don't want to hear. It may not be in our best interest, it may be self-destructive, but it's human behavior.

Exactly. There's many different people doing a million different things, and everyone has their own ideas about which part of it is cancel culture. In Bill's case it seems to usually mean that a mainstream celebrity said or did something that got people on Twitter angry because they think it's bigoted or sexual assault.

Not being on Real Tim doesn't mean you've lost your freedom of speech. Being chosen by Bill to be on his show says you have ideas he thinks are worth listening to or that are worth "debating" (or what would call debating).

5 hours ago, Tara said:

It’s only happening to people on the right.

Only if you define "it" in a way that excludes things happening to everything/everybody not a person on the right.

Also, we don't have a liberal media in the sense of what that phrase usually seems to mean.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

In Bill's case it seems to usually mean that a mainstream celebrity said or did something that got people on Twitter angry because they think it's bigoted or sexual assault.

I don’t think that’s what it means to Bill at all. I think he’s talking about people losing their jobs. I can’t imagine anyone sincerely caring about Twitter, because it’s a cesspool of ignorance. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Tara said:

I don’t think that’s what it means to Bill at all. I think he’s talking about people losing their jobs. I can’t imagine anyone sincerely caring about Twitter, because it’s a cesspool of ignorance. 

Bill's been known to describe someone as losing their job when they haven't lost their job, though. Bill does think people should ignore Twitter--but he's almost always referring to a specific part of Twitter who represent attitudes he doesn't like to begin with and seems to think has too much power. If Twitter didn't like someting Bari Weiss Tweeted, she'll often be invited on to talk about it. (Of course, Bill often invites guests to speak ignorantly in the name of the marketplace of ideas, so he can't really condemn Twitter for that.)

• Love 2
On 7/4/2021 at 11:44 AM, Victor the Crab said:

But that's because you don't agree with Jones.  Bill is arguing that it shouldn't happen to anyone.  There are a lot of people barking out bullshit these days.  Shut them all down??

• Love 1
21 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

But that's because you don't agree with Jones.  Bill is arguing that it shouldn't happen to anyone.  There are a lot of people barking out bullshit these days.  Shut them all down??

This, right here, says it all:

813389425_FreeSpeech.png.08cb8a98449eb7d44ce9ba5df12d94f2.png

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

This, right here, says it all:

813389425_FreeSpeech.png.08cb8a98449eb7d44ce9ba5df12d94f2.png

That's my point.  Shut everyone down who says something SOMEONE out there doesn't like?  I'm not talking about the law. 

People on both sides are saying shitty things, I don't know if you can see it but it is true.  Shut down every expression and ban them from the community because you don't like what they have to say?  Not the world I want to live in.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

People on both sides are saying shitty things, I don't know if you can see it but it is true.  Shut down every expression and ban them from the community because you don't like what they have to say?  Not the world I want to live in.

I think Alex Jones got banned because he broke the ToS by using hate speech and inciting violence pretty explicitly. At least that was the reason that was given. Really it probably was that he was responsible for encouraging stuff like people harassing and threatening the parents of Sandy Hook victims, claiming that their kids didn't exist and the platforms were worried people would sue them over it too. Ironically, I think Jones' own defense of himself is that no one could reasonably believe what he's saying--even though his whole thing is that he's supposed to be giving people the true info being hidden for them. He's not in jail, though.

To be fair, this is all complicated by the fact we're living through an actual assault on the idea of objective truth.

• Love 5
On 7/9/2021 at 10:39 AM, heatherchandler said:

That's my point.  Shut everyone down who says something SOMEONE out there doesn't like?  I'm not talking about the law. 

The world is a tough place. And things happen for a reason, whether you like it or not. Sometimes it's justified, and sometimes it's not.

For Bill to be reacting to EVERY. SINGLE. STUPID. THING. UTTERED, shows that he's, in his own words, a Whinny Little Bitch™ with extremely thin skin who needs to grow the fuck up, now!

• Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

I wish Bill would bring up the cancellation of Colin Kaepernick, the Dixie Chicks, the voters in states that are passing voter suppression bills,  Liz Cheney, any Republican legislator that spoke out against Trump's BIG LIE, Anthony Fauci, the officer that shot insurrectionist/terrorist Ashli Bobbit... and so many more...nobody loves cancel culture more than Republicans.

For someone who was cancelled he is making a heck of a living.  He opted out of his contract when he realized he was no longer going to be a starter.  Now he is making more money as an activist and he doesn't have to worry about the injuries he would have gotten if he continued to play the game. 

Also, I am reasonably sure Bill talked about what happened to the Dixie Chicks when it happened to them.  It was, what like twenty years ago, so I don't really recall.  But I am pretty sure he even had Natalie Maines on the show at one point talking about what was done to them.

Edited by BK1978
10 hours ago, BK1978 said:

For someone who was cancelled he is making a heck of a living.  He opted out of his contract when he realized he was no longer going to be a starter.  Now he is making more money as an activist and he doesn't have to worry about the injuries he would have gotten if he continued to play the game. 

Also, I am reasonably sure Bill talked about what happened to the Dixie Chicks when it happened to them.  It was, what like twenty years ago, so I don't really recall.  But I am pretty sure he even had Natalie Maines on the show at one point talking about what was done to them.

He did have Natalie Maines on way back when...but it wouldn't hurt for him to remind people how far back the right's cancel culture goes. I don't have a problem with Kaepernick making money since the right successfully canceled him and even made him a target for death threats and continued harassment. Let's put this in perspective...Kaepernick kneeled in a silent, peaceful protest gesture. On January 6th thousands of angry and violent mobs stormed the Capitol and engaged in acts of violent and deadly force on the Capitol Police all the while beating officers with American Flag poles. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

He did have Natalie Maines on way back when...but it wouldn't hurt for him to remind people how far back the right's cancel culture goes. I don't have a problem with Kaepernick making money since the right successfully canceled him and even made him a target for death threats and continued harassment. Let's put this in perspective...Kaepernick kneeled in a silent, peaceful protest gesture. On January 6th thousands of angry and violent mobs stormed the Capitol and engaged in acts of violent and deadly force on the Capitol Police all the while beating officers with American Flag poles. 

All that! And also, let's not forget that Bill himself was a victim of cancel culture from the right, when his old ABC show got cancelled because Bill said the pilots that flew the planes into the Twin Towers were brave. So you'd think he'd have far more contempt with them for what they actually did to him two decades ago, instead of trying to tear apart Every. Single. Little. Thing the left brings up and then blaming ALL of them equally.

All of which shows Bill slowly embracing the right's POV.

15 hours ago, BK1978 said:

To be fair here, no one, not even Kaepernick himself, thought he'd be pulling in seven figures from Nike just for taking a stand.

• Love 4

Folks, 

This is the Bill Maher thread, not the let's debate the quality of media, all events of the last year, supporters of different politicians, politicians themselves, or anything else thread.  Many posts have been removed. Let's get back on track. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

let's not forget that Bill himself was a victim of cancel culture from the right, when his old ABC show got cancelled because Bill said the pilots that flew the planes into the Twin Towers were brave.

That was actually Dinesh D'Souza who said that, and also called them Patriots. Bill just agreed with him. I watched that episode of Politically Incorrect.  Stephen Collins was the other guest. 

• Useful 2
On 7/14/2021 at 7:30 PM, Victor the Crab said:

All that! And also, let's not forget that Bill himself was a victim of cancel culture from the right, when his old ABC show got cancelled because Bill said the pilots that flew the planes into the Twin Towers were brave. So you'd think he'd have far more contempt with them for what they actually did to him two decades ago, instead of trying to tear apart Every. Single. Little. Thing the left brings up and then blaming ALL of them equally.

Actually? I'm not sure how true it is that he was cancelled because of what he said, although Bill would like us to believe that. The controversy played a part with advertisers dropping him for awhile and Sinclair running informercials or whatever on their ABC affiliates, but ultimately he was cancelled because ABC wanted to go in another direction and get away from the topical and do more of a traditional late night show. They had already made an attempt to get Letterman and would push out Koppel when his contract came up a couple years later. A more self aware host (basically anyone in the last few decades of late night except maybe Corden and Fallon) would realize it and basically admit that he said something stupid that made it easier for the backstabbing network execs to do what they wanted to do, but sadly Bill like those he criticizes has bought into his own hype.

All of which shows Bill slowly embracing the right's POV.

I don't know about that. I think it's more that Bill is just a narcissistic old white man who is uncomfortable with being expected to truly embrace diversity and change and is looking for a fig leaf to cover up his prejudices. Oh wait. Same thing I guess.

21 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That was actually Dinesh D'Souza who said that, and also called them Patriots. Bill just agreed with him. I watched that episode of Politically Incorrect.  Stephen Collins was the other guest. 

True, but the quote that got all the coverage was what Bill said while he was agreeing - ""We have been the cowards, lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, [it's] not cowardly." So I think the characterization of Bill having said it is accurate. And of course there is the whole issue that agreeing with Dinesh D'Souza on any topic more intellectually advanced than a lunch order is almost always trouble in and of itself...

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, wknt3 said:

True, but the quote that got all the coverage was what Bill said while he was agreeing - ""We have been the cowards, lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, [it's] not cowardly." So I think the characterization of Bill having said it is accurate. And of course there is the whole issue that agreeing with Dinesh D'Souza on any topic more intellectually advanced than a lunch order is almost always trouble in and of itself...

Right. I didn't expand on it as I didn't know if that would be veering off topic.

• Love 2
On 7/9/2021 at 1:38 PM, sistermagpie said:

I think Jones' own defense of himself is that no one could reasonably believe what he's saying

I hate that kind of defense, when there is clearly evidence to the contrary.  its not like there's testimony from samples of the listeners who "believe" the crap being spewed by the likes of Jones (or Carlson) and the defense proves they are not "reasonable people."

• Love 1
On 7/20/2021 at 8:05 PM, Victor the Crab said:

Just wanted to post this here Tweet that shows young, healthy people can get struck down from Covid, which puts a dent in Bill's claim that only fat, lazy people can get hit with the virus...

Bill never said ONLY fat, lazy people get Covid. He often reports the fact that 78% of Covid hospitalizations are overweight or obese individuals.  

Cleavon MD is a Covid-obsessed quack, who rolls around constantly in the muck and mire that is Twitter.

Frue McAvoy contracted Covid on June 24, and is still unable to work, forcing him to set up a Go Fund Me to help pay his utilities, buy groceries, and help with his insurance co-pay. https://www.gofundme.com/f/please-help-frue-furloughed

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Tara said:

Bill never said ONLY fat, lazy people get Covid. He often reports the fact that 78% of Covid hospitalizations are overweight or obese individuals.  

Cleavon MD is a Covid-obsessed quack, who rolls around constantly in the muck and mire that is Twitter.

Frue McAvoy contracted Covid on June 24, and is still unable to work, forcing him to set up a Go Fund Me to help pay his utilities, buy groceries, and help with his insurance co-pay. https://www.gofundme.com/f/please-help-frue-furloughed

This ties in to Bill's questionable fat shaming crusade. And what exactly is wrong about being obsessed with Covid, considering that there are people out there still trying to manipulate the truth about what it can do?

My case stands!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Tara said:

Right.

I remember his case. The delta variant is more contagious and more deadly. Whatever kind of shape you all are, please be careful. I relaxed a bit once I was vaccinated and everyone in my state ditched the masks. (My version of being relaxed was still taking covid way more seriously than most people my age.) I'm being more cautious again. 

I personally really recommend everyone take vitamins. You can't quickly lose weight, but if you can afford vitamins, definitely get them. 

The video was interesting but the guy completely misses the point Bill tries to make on Wokeness.  He's acting as if Bill is saying Wokeness is a huge problem in the world & the guy says it's not even Top 10. Well, duh. But Bill's point is that it is in the Top 10 reasons people vote for Republicans over Democrats.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ICantDoThatDave said:

The video was interesting but the guy completely misses the point Bill tries to make on Wokeness.  He's acting as if Bill is saying Wokeness is a huge problem in the world & the guy says it's not even Top 10. Well, duh. But Bill's point is that it is in the Top 10 reasons people vote for Republicans over Democrats.

Bill thinks "wokeness" is the greatest evil to invade American society. He's so fucking obsessed with it that just about every problem facing the country is connected to wokeness as far as he's concerned.

Bill does not deserve to be taken seriously by serious people, which is where he finds himself right now!

• Love 6

So what will Bill's take on "the slap" be?

--Will Smith was too woke because he was triggered by Chris Rock, a comedian and fellow victim of woke society

--Chris Rock is too woke because his joke was too woke and then he didn't take Will to task for reacting to his woke joke 

--The audience is too woke because they reacted to Will being woke over a joke that was woke because Gen Z/Millennials are too woke

--Everyone except Bill Maher is too woke

--All of the above 

--Other

--I'm just confused at this point

It's truly an ouroboros of wokeness

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4

He tried to backpedal when she revealed that the anxiety partly stemmed from childhood sexual abuse but the damage was done.  

I'm just thankful that he has to be semi-sober on his HBO show. No way could I watch that podcast. It was gross. It reminds me of childhood being surrounded by bitchy, whiny alcoholic relatives. 

• Love 3

Anyone else watch his stand-up special? It was filled with the usual rants about his pet topics. His act is getting really stale. He just seems stuck on a handful of issues that he's beating into the ground. There's nothing deep or thoughtful or new about it, it's all just the same old tired complaints and insults. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Anyone else watch his stand-up special? It was filled with the usual rants about his pet topics. His act is getting really stale. He just seems stuck on a handful of issues that he's beating into the ground. There's nothing deep or thoughtful or new about it, it's all just the same old tired complaints and insults. 

I had had a gummy so fell asleep after 5 minutes. I'm sure Bill would be okay with that.

• LOL 4