Type keyword(s) to search

Schmigadoon! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, brisbydog said:

Ladies who lunch? Sondheim, Company. Right era I think

Bustin Out is also a spoof of You Could Drive A Person Crazy from Company.

The whole Chorus Line sequence that ended with Melissa using her license as get head shot. Love it all.

Edited by argrow
  • Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1

Am loving this season so far. Sondheim/Kander & Ebb, etc. tend to be more my jam, and all the Fosse references were delightful. And I love Titus as the narrator.

I think Aaron’s character is supposed to be a mashup from Pippin/Hair/Godspell. I cracked up at the hand puppet.

I also cracked up at that random Bye Bye Birdie reference in the jail. Loved that.

Dove Cameron would make an excellent Sally Bowles.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, MsNewsradio said:

I cracked up at the hand puppet.

Why did he have a sock puppet?

3 hours ago, MsNewsradio said:

I also cracked up at that random Bye Bye Birdie reference in the jail. Loved that.

I missed it, what was it?

Just remembered one other thing that delighted me -- the one audition dancer whose backstory was clearly Liesl von Trapp. 

I missed that too, which one?

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Why did he have a sock puppet?

I missed it, what was it?

Conrad Birdie was in jail for statutory rape. 
All the references were fantastic.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Love this show and love that it's back.

It's a fresh breath to see a well made show for a change.

On 4/5/2023 at 5:12 PM, iMonrey said:

So far so good. I didn't love the opening number "Welcome to Schmicago" but I do love Tituss Burgess. Big Kimmy Schmidt fan. My favorite number was the "Hey Big Spender" parody. Are you shocked? Because we're trying really hard. I have a tattoo! I like boys and girls! I've experienced an orgasm - the female kind! So shocking! By 1960s standards that is.

Took me a second to recognise Titus Burgess. He lost an impressive amount of weight.

I also loved that song. My favourite part was "Look, there's a man and he's wearing a dress." - "I mean I've literally seen every season of drag race. So..."

Good callout on the "Hey Big Spender". What we got here is pretty damn close to this production:

but I like this one more:

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Just remembered one other thing that delighted me -- the one audition dancer whose backstory was clearly Liesl von Trapp. 

The one whose father was in the military and had a titled girlfriend.Screenshot_20230406_153200_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6b7724282700898b6bcc52d169680039.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

Loving the new season. Aaron Tveit's character is giving Pippin (his song was a take-off on Corner of the Sky) and Godspell (he's in jail for "peddling parables with no clear takeaways" which is basically the entirety of Godspell, also his name is Topher, which is short for Christopher, which is a derivation of Christ). 

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but the names of the ladies doing the Hey Big Spender number are the orphans from Annie, lol.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure I heard some of “Into The Woods” as instrumental background when they were ….. in the woods, looking for Schmigadoon in the beginning.

• Like 2

I also loved that song. My favourite part was "Look, there's a man and he's wearing a dress." - "I mean I've literally seen every season of drag race. So..."

Also, while the number was going on, Josh was looking at the menu and went "I wonder if the meatloaf is any good."

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Oh my gosh please let there be a season three and please let it based on the ‘80’s and the super over the top set dressings and big budget musicals like Phantom and Miss Saigon et al!

and then a season four based off the new era of scaled back rock musical like Rent!

on a side note, if we don’t get a “Cell Block Tango”number this season, I say we riot!

Edited by HelloooKitty
  • Like 11
  • Applause 1

I keep watching the Busting Out number and I especially love the pattern of the stripes on Ariana DeBose's costume (Dove Cameron's are just horizontal and Cecily's are chevron but Ariana's are asymmetrical) and the way Sergeant Rivera can't help dancing in his chair.

• Like 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, HelloooKitty said:

Oh my gosh please let there be a season three and please let it based on the ‘80’s and the super over the top set dressings and big budget musicals like Phantom and Miss Saigon et al!

I read someone on Facebook say we need a "LesSchmiz" next season.  That would be awesome.

Edited by Phebemarie
  • Like 8
  • LOL 2
8 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

I read someone on Facebook say we need a "LesSchmiz" next season.  That would be awesome.

YES!!! YES!!!!!!

Because I love “Corner of the Sky” “Doorway to There” made me laugh.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

I was thinking “Shmantom” Every episode they could drop something big. And it’s all sung through. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3

Ugh, I sort of dread that. IMO musicals stopped being good sometime after the 1970s. I blame whoever normalized talking to music and calling it a "song."

• Like 2
On 4/7/2023 at 8:52 AM, SomeTameGazelle said:

I keep watching the Busting Out number and I especially love the pattern of the stripes on Ariana DeBose's costume (Dove Cameron's are just horizontal and Cecily's are chevron but Ariana's are asymmetrical) and the way Sergeant Rivera can't help dancing in his chair.

This.  Having worked in a Costume Shop where we executed a designer's original designs for big (local) musicals, these pieces blew me away.  The designer conceived the three, considering the physiques of the three performers -- went out and found that fabric (actual wide stripes, or pieced together?? Not sure).  And the crew sewed each specifically, and they aren't exactly easy ones, with the shoulder and hip action, and I think little bustles?  Plus the slightly different three hats.

And then pink character shoes !?  Brilliant.  Please an Emmy nomination for this costume designer, just for these.  

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 4/6/2023 at 5:37 PM, Rickster said:

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure I heard some of “Into The Woods” as instrumental background when they were ….. in the woods, looking for Schmigadoon in the beginning.

Yes, definitely.  Thought the same thing.

• Like 1

S02.E03: Bells and Whistles

SchmigadoonEpisode3.thumb.jpg.95dd2bec14c5fc8cb7833fa517410841.jpg

While Josh spends time on the run with Topher and the tribe, Melissa explores Schmicago looking for clues and uncovers a family secret.

Premiere Date: April 12, 2023   Apple TV+ schmiga10-1080x720.jpg.webp

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Give Jane all of the awards now. It’s what she deserves.  (I’m so glad they didn’t make me wait for 1000 years to see her this season) 

Loved the fact that there were places named after Sondheim, Kander & Ebb, and Schwartz on Quick St! 

I loved Melissa’s outfit, with the hat and the shoes, it was just adorable.

i didnt think this plot would wrap up so soon, but i’m going with it. the whole Bells and Whistles number was pitch perfect, and the patter bit was fantastic.

I love that Patrick Page’s character is just Hades from Hadestown. (That can’t be a coincidence!)

not a huge fan of our hippy friends, but Josh trying to get everyone to keep their clothes on was great, as was Melissa burning her really expensive bra. 

Was the actor who spoke in the jury the guy who played Pete in s1? 

“I’ll Drink To That” lady continues to be my life inspiration. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1

So the last notes of Kratts song were straight up from Caiaphas’s solo in JC Superstar where he sings “this Jesus must, Jesus must, Jesus must die!”

then with “Bells and Whistles” we get 2 songs from Chicago- all that jazz and Razzle Dazzle as well as some Chorus Line’s dance 10, looks 3 thrown in. 

then Hair and so much Godspell with Topher and crew

and a blend of Annie and Sweeny Todd with miss hannivett? Loveigan? 

and then full out Sweeny with Alan cumming. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, HelloooKitty said:

So the last notes of Kratts song were straight up from Caiaphas’s solo in JC Superstar where he sings “this Jesus must, Jesus must, Jesus must die!”

then with “Bells and Whistles” we get 2 songs from Chicago- all that jazz and Razzle Dazzle as well as some Chorus Line’s dance 10, looks 3 thrown in. 

then Hair and so much Godspell with Topher and crew

and a blend of Annie and Sweeny Todd with miss hannivett? Loveigan? 

and then full out Sweeny with Alan cumming. 

Jane's (incredibly well done) quick patter portion of Bells and Whistles was definitely meant to be in the style of (Not) Getting Married Today from Company...

Edited by giovannif7
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

So much to comment on in Episode 3 -- Just from one viewing I did especially love Alan Cumming's solo.  He can really 'live' a song, it was incredible.

But I wonder if they intended (and, could they not?) - the two characters who showed up on roller skates, to be a nod to "Starlight Express" ?   Not a huge hit, but it existed, and every performer in that was on roller skates the entire time.   I'm betting Mark Benanti will mention it in 'Broadway by Ghostlight' this week.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, QuantumMechanic said:

That song pinged some Into the Woods feelings for me.  I can't exactly say why, but it definitely popped in there.

Ah! Yes! There was SOMETHING that made me think into the woods at one point but I can’t remember what! It’s not really in the “right” era as it’s late 80’s but I think sometimes there are extra little Easter eggs for die hard theater nerds. 

I found the flower poeple / hippies / whatever they were extremely tiresome, stupid and not fun. However, the way the lawyer defended Josh was just awesome. That was a great number, specially when she talked so fast.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, HelloooKitty said:

Ah! Yes! There was SOMETHING that made me think into the woods at one point but I can’t remember what! It’s not really in the “right” era as it’s late 80’s but I think sometimes there are extra little Easter eggs for die hard theater nerds. 

They also played some “Into the Woods”-y riff in the underscore back when Josh and Melissa were in the woods looking for Schmigadoon in the first episode of the season.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Harvey said:

I found the flower poeple / hippies / whatever they were extremely tiresome, stupid and not fun. However, the way the lawyer defended Josh was just awesome. That was a great number, specially when she talked so fast.

Have you ever sat through 'Godspell'? Those parables get tired fast.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Give Jane all of the awards now. It’s what she deserves.  (I’m so glad they didn’t make me wait for 1000 years to see her this season) 

God yes. All the awards. She is a fantastic performer. The dancing is incredible. That whole number was unbelievable. It really made the episode for me.

Some of the songs . . . eh. I can take 'em or leave 'em, and there were maybe one too many this episode. But there is always, always at least one that I absolutely love, every episode.

• Like 1

Five songs this episode, and all winners. The courtroom number managed to encompass "Razzle Dazzle," a quick bit of "We Both Reached for the Gun," "Getting Married Today," and "Dance 10 Looks 3" (aka "Tits and Ass"; the derivation is very clear in the accompaniment). And to get the Judge's self-flagellating aria from Sweeney Todd at the end, when it's often cut (with permission) from the show itself... that was beyond expectation.

I guffawed aloud when the Mrs. Lovett song began. I was anticipating something of the sort, and yet it surprised me with how hard it hit, and how immediately.

• Like 2

This show is such a delight for us theatre geeks. In the opening shots of the stores in Schmicago, we saw references to Sondheim, Schwartz, and Ebb, all of whom have already been represented in the musical references so far. But there was also "Herman's Hummable Tunes" which is not just a reference to Jerry Herman (whose work we have yet to see used in the show, but Hello Dolly and Mame could fit the time period) but to his (in my opinion) atrocious Tony acceptance speech in 1984. His score for La Cage aux Folles won over Sondheim's Sunday in the Park with George. Accepting the award, he said “This award forever shatters a myth about the musical theater. There’s been a rumor around for a couple of years that the simple, hummable show tune was no longer welcome on Broadway. Well, it’s alive and well at the Palace.” This was clearly a dig at Sondheim, even though Herman denies this.

Speaking of Sondheim, the parodies of Worst Pies in London (2 of them!), Barber and His Wife, Epiphany, and Getting Married Today were amazing. And Kratt's Jesus Christ Superstar number (sorry, I don't know that show well enough to specify) had moments of Judge Turpin's Johanna in the staging.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I saw this comment from someone somewhere else, so I can’t claim credit for the thought, but it applies to me too. It seems this season I get a lot more of the musical references than I did last season. I don’t know if I am just more familiar with 1970’s musicals, or whether the writers are making more of an effort to create those references. Season one for the most part seemed to be more generic 40’s-50’s musical, without a lot of specificity (to me, anyway).

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Never thought you could combine Miss Hannigan and Mrs. Lovett, but this show pulled it off.

Lmao at Josh discovering his magical hair: “I’ve had reoccurring dreams about this!” And the parable: “I’m gonna blow my brains out.” God bless Keegan.

Melissa is giving Blight the advice that somebody should’ve been giving Sweeney Todd. Hope he doesn’t go full blown evil.

Jane rules.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

I loved it - one of the best yet, IMO. Yes, please give awards to Jane Krakowski. She was amazing. Loved seeing so many references in her spectacular number. 

I for one have great affection for Godspell. I saw the play at Ford's Theatre (yes, that one) when I was maybe 10 or 11, and I loved the movie too (12 or 13 at the time) as well as Jesus Christ Superstar - which I had memorized thanks to the original concept album. (Loved Titus's little Annas insert during Patrick Page's Caiaphas performance.)

Some of the Hair choreography looked like Twyla Tharp's from the late 70's movie. I never saw the stage production - definitely too young at the time - but Good Morning Starshine was on the radio every day in the summer of '69, and I loved it. 

The parody of it was fun, along with the Grease references they snuck in.

If I'm influenced by the impressions gained when I was young, so be it, but I loved this episode.

(My son and I used to watch Annie when he was young, so the shades of Miss Hannigan were also great, and while I haven't ever seen Sweeny Todd, Alan Cumming is always the best.)

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
On 4/11/2023 at 11:01 PM, Harvey said:

I found the flower poeple / hippies / whatever they were extremely tiresome, stupid and not fun. 

But the line about how they had been getting naked and talking in parables and nothing changed was really funny.

Alan Cumming commits totally.  

• Like 8
On 4/12/2023 at 1:12 AM, QuantumMechanic said:

That song pinged some Into the Woods feelings for me.  I can't exactly say why, but it definitely popped in there.

Well, I was right that it was Sondheim-y.  But it was a patch on "Worst Pies in London" from (what else :) ) Sweeney Todd.

• Like 1

One thing I’ve found interesting about this season is that the songs are much more 1:1 with specific songs. Last season while there were a few of those it was more general style parodies.

For this season I really recommend going on YouTube and watching a bunch of songs from Sweeney, Chicago, Pippin, Cabaret, etc.

For example, you’ll appreciate much more the geekiness of the writers if you watch “Magic to Do” and “Corner of the Sky” from Pippin, “Mein Herr” from Cabaret, “Worst Pies in London” from Sweeney Todd, and so on.

The breakdown articles that Playbill is doing are also really useful.

• Like 3

As a teenager in the Sixties, I loved Godspell. I’ve seen it performed at least 10 times and watched the movie more times than I can count. And the parable done here was so spot on right down to the corny side comments. It gave me all the feels!

I also loved the music from Hair. I never saw the stage play because of the, you know, nudity at the end of act one. But I knew all the songs. I loved how the gibberish lyric here a la Good Morning Starshine was the names of the characters from Grease: Rizzo, Cha-Cha, Doody, Zuko, and Kenicke. (Thank you, Playbill.).

Jane Krakowski is a national treasure.

• Like 4

So, I have a friend who hadn’t watched. So I brought her over and we binged season 1 and the first episode of 2. 
and I noticed something I hadn’t before. 

The final song of season 1 had a VERY different vibe than all the others. I thought nothing of it at the time. But this time…. when they brought out the tambourines, I realized. This was the transition to season two. This was Godspell and hair in music and dance but still “golden age” in costume and set. 

they told us what they were going to do. We just didn’t see it!!

man I love this show!

Edited by HelloooKitty
  • Like 9

And that Josh, is why you never go with a hippy to a second location. You end up naked listening to parables. And nobody wants that. 

What I do want is more Jane Krakowski singing. That song could have been 20 more minutes longer, and I’d have been happy. Add in Kristen Chenoweth and Alan Cumming, and was very happy watching this episode. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

This show is so much fun, I'm so glad I recently binged it. The musical references are always so great to pick up on, Chicago is one of my favorite musicals of all time so of course this season has especially been my literal jam. 

I'm watching with Mr. Tennisgurl who really likes the show but is not really a musical fan or familiar with them, I have to explain the references to him, so he was so so happy to actually get the Sweeny Todd reference. 

Yes, we are pretty much Josh and Mellissa. 

• Like 4