Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Grilled hamburgers. We replaced our laminate counter tops with quartz, which were installed this morning. The plumber didn't arrive until after 7:30 pm, and is still working on getting plumbing reconnected. You don't realize how important running water in the kitchen is until you don't have it.

• Love 2
On 8/21/2021 at 7:41 PM, MargeGunderson said:

BBQ chicken pizza (frozen from Whole Foods, surprisingly good), followed by peanut butter ice cream with caramel, chocolate and pretzels (Jeni’s High Five Candy Bar).

I just tried Whole Foods BBQ chicken pizza tonight. It's pretty good. I decided to think of it as a flatbread, not as a pizza 🤓

• Love 1

We made cheesesteaks and onion rings on Friday. We have a Blackstone flat top griddle that I really love using! Tonight will be ham and broccoli Stromboli. 

My youngest of three just started Kindergarten a few weeks ago so I’ve taken on a part time job which starts tomorrow at the preschool my kids all attended. My life is about to be turned upside down in regards to family dinners. 

I don’t like crockpot food (all mush IMO) so I spent this past week making a bunch of freezer to skillet type meals or freezer to oven meals. I did throw in one crockpot meal that I know my family likes. 

My kids don’t have school busses or lunches provided at school so between working part time, trying to fit in my daily workout session, walking the dog, etc I’m nervous about how this will go. I feel at ease knowing I have dinners ready! 

• Love 4

While Mr P914 is on a trip to Yellowstone, I had a small potluck party with 5 friends. One of them brought blueberry soup and plastic shot glasses. It was very good (except for the cardamom which I'll leave out when I make it) & the shot glass amount was just enough as it's a bit rich.

• Love 1

Sometimes Blue Apron has something I've never heard of. Tonight was an Italian sausage tomato pasta with a side of roasted broccoli over a mixture of ricotta and parmesan cheese. The broccoli side was tasty.

And as usual, any pasta dish is enough to feed 4 people instead of 2.

• Love 1

It was my son's birthday yesterday so he request his favorite meal  -- lobster rolls and seasoned sweet potato fries.

I also made him a birthday cake instead of ordering this year.  He really likes those Ferrero Rocher Rafaello truffles.  They are these thin cookie-wafer balls filled with an almond and a white chocolate cream and covered with coconut flakes.

So I tried to recreate that in a cake.  I made a white cake infused with some amaretto, frosted with vanilla frosting covered with crushed almonds and hazelnuts and then covered it all with lightly roasted sweet coconut flakes.  It was pretty tasty and a big hit.

• Love 8
On 9/2/2021 at 10:42 AM, DearEvette said:

It was my son's birthday yesterday so he request his favorite meal  -- lobster rolls and seasoned sweet potato fries.

I also made him a birthday cake instead of ordering this year.  He really likes those Ferrero Rocher Rafaello truffles.  They are these thin cookie-wafer balls filled with an almond and a white chocolate cream and covered with coconut flakes.

So I tried to recreate that in a cake.  I made a white cake infused with some amaretto, frosted with vanilla frosting covered with crushed almonds and hazelnuts and then covered it all with lightly roasted sweet coconut flakes.  It was pretty tasty and a big hit.

Your son's birthday is 9/1?!!  So is mine!  42 this year for me (yikes!).  Had pizza and pasta that day along with a huge slice of cake, so I'm now 1.5 lb heavier (that's a lot for a petite person like me).  Oops!

Today:  grilled cheese and egg and tomato toast for brunch (half each) and will likely do roast chicken tonight.

• Love 1

Beautiful Labor Day to grill outside, so I made Queso Fundido burgers (Ground beef mixed with Chorizo and chili powder topped with a slice of colby-jack, sauteed jalapenos and onions, then another slice of cheese with some guacamole) and maybe an adult beverage or two.

• Love 3

It was gray and cool yesterday here at the beach but it was Labor Day! so grilling was mandatory :)  I grilled some lovely halibut and had it with blue corn tortilla chips and fresh strawberries with very dark chocolate for dessert. Today of course, a work day, is spectacularly sunny and warm...:(

• Love 4

Cheeseburgers, onion rings, and caprese salad last night, and I have just enough inspiration and energy tonight to cook rather than ordering in, but it must be basic, so I have a chicken roasting in the oven (stuffed the cavity with garlic, lemon, and rosemary and seasoned the outside - done).  I'll roast some broccoli from a head I'd already cut up to save room in the crisper, and slice up the half of an avocado I have left over from a BLT to add to a bagged spring mix salad and dress it with some ranch I already have made.

• Love 2

Just me so nothing major.  Just soup and sandwich.  The bread was a nutty, whole grain bread called Marathon Bread (made by Wegman's) spread with avocado, topped with roasted turkey, a creamy coleslaw, red onions and Trader Joe's crunchy Jalapeno pieces.  The soup was sweet basil tomato.

• Love 3

I seem to be on a fish kick....so wild king salmon steaks were on sale at my fav local market and I had them pick out the very smallest one they could find (apparently it was a "collar" piece- whatever) as it was still incredibly expensive. Grilled it last night very simply (garlic, black pepper, touch of lemon, a little dried dill weed and some butter on top) and had it with some lovely asparagus and the last of the summer strawberries for dessert. What a treat!! (and my cat liked it too :)

• Love 2

Still getting take-out brunch - I'm not going to be dining indoors until very young children can be vaccinated.  Sure, I can do patios right now, but sometimes, you just don't feel like it.  Anyway, we ordered eggs benedict (husband) and avocado toast (me), which we shared with our toddler.  Dinner?  Heated up a frozen lasagna I got from a restaurant last month.  

• Love 1

I have family visiting, so lots of food. Lunch was homemade hummus, tzatziki, roasted red peppers, marinated artichokes, roasted eggplant, Greek meatballs and homemade pita (it actually puffed!). Dinner was saag paneer, chana masala, red lentils, raita, and naan. Oh, and somewhere in there was an orange ricotta pound cake.

• Love 4

Crab cake, corn on the cob, and cucumber salad.

The price of crab has really gone up, I get my crab cakes at a local place. Jumbo lump used to be $19.99 per cake. Today they were $23.95, Fortunately, they are big enough to feed 2 people.

I used to be able to get good crab meat at Costco, for less than $25/lb, but they haven't had it in many months (I keep meaning to find the manager and ask if it's gone for good, but am never in the mood once it's time to check out).  So I have to get it at my local seafood market, where it's twice as much.

I went to that market this week for a few things, and tonight's dinner will be a very simple baked cod lightly coated with flour seasoned with paprika and cumin and cooked in a lemon garlic sauce.  Roasted zucchini as the side dish, and horiatiki for the salad.

Last night was homemade portobello and spinach ravioli - my neighbor came by saying she was experimenting with filled pasta after getting the hang of fresh noodles, had made too much, and wasn't sure how well it came out; did I want some to try?  Um, yes, please!  I could tell from looking at it her pasta to filling ratio was a little off (not enough filling), and I usually like a cheese inside my ravioli, so I made a garlic parmesan cream sauce and wilted in some extra spinach as I tossed it all together and it was delicious.

• Love 1

For some reason I had a lot of puff pastry on hand....

Individual beef and curry puff pastry hand pies.

and for a very quick brunchy snack peach and brie puff pastry tarts (baked with brown sugar and then drizzled with honey)

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 3

I'm doing my super locavore meal (well, mostly!) chicken thighs seasoned with Myers lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper baked on a bed of rosemary branches with a little butter on top - the lemons and rosemary are from my backyard...can't take credit for anything else :)

On 10/7/2021 at 7:42 PM, DearEvette said:

Air fryer pork chops, potatoes au gratin and grilled spicy brussels sprouts. Dark chocolate brownies for dessert.

I have been debating back and forth about getting an air fryer. Seems like another appliance I might not use much and will, take up space on the counter.  But I do like the idea, can you tell me how much you use it and if you are glad you got one?

6 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I have been debating back and forth about getting an air fryer. Seems like another appliance I might not use much and will, take up space on the counter.  But I do like the idea, can you tell me how much you use it and if you are glad you got one?

I was skeptical at first.  But I won one in a raffle.  And I was a convert  after the first time I made wings.  So easy and effortless.  And they came out crispy -- no breading or even oil necessary.

I use it quite often.  It is great for chicken, but I've also done chops, "deep fried" ravioli, rolled taquitos, I've also done glazed yeast donuts.  Mine came with a recipe book but there are recipes all over the place.  My kids use it a lot for frozen stuff.  It heats quicker than an oven.

Mine is fairly large so when it is in use it takes up a fair amount of counter top space.  Clean up is simple and I store it on a shelf in my pantry that holds a lot of my out-of-sight gadgets. 

• Love 1

Yesterday was our Thanksgiving dinner.  Most of the fixings, and as usual, we had most of it catered.  The mashed sweet and apple pie (husband hates pumpkin) came from the grocery store we've been shopping from since the pandemic began while the turkey (pre-cooked, sliced breast - same as what we do for Christmas.  The good thing about ordering this is the fact that we won't be living on leftover turkey for days) and stuffing came from a neighbourhood gourmet store.  I made cornbread.  Let's just say that my cornbread this year was a massive fail (either because I overcooked it or because I didn't make it with enough oil/butter this year).  Today?  Salad for lunch and maybe soup for dinner.  I'm still full from last night.

15 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I have been debating back and forth about getting an air fryer. Seems like another appliance I might not use much and will, take up space on the counter. 

I know this can be insulting if you know it, so I apologize, but a lot of people don't know it because "fryer" deliberately insinuates something else, so, just in case: If your oven - wall, toaster, or range - has a convection setting, you already have an "air fryer" and don't need a separate appliance taking up more space.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

I know this can be insulting if you know it, so I apologize, but a lot of people don't know it because "fryer" deliberately insinuates something else, so, just in case: If your oven - wall, toaster, or range - has a convection setting, you already have an "air fryer" and don't need a separate appliance taking up more space.

Nope, all my appliances are old and no air fryer/convection option in any of them. :(

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I have an oven and a toaster oven with convection but didn’t make the connection until you spelled it out for me, so thank you. I rarely use the convection setting but now I’m going to try it out with a few things.

I rarely use my regular oven. It's a Jenn Air and HUGE. We are on propane, and it's a waste of propane for what I normally use an oven for. My Breville countertop has a convection setting, and I always use it, as I do the Jenn Air oven when I use it. Food cooks faster with convection. The Blue Apron dinners I cook on occasions call for roasting something in the oven, and I've learned to roast for a good 3-4 minutes less than what their recipe calls for because of the convection setting.

• Love 1