Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

(edited)
41 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I much prefer the soft tacos myself! But glad your craving was satisfied for another decade. 😋

They (hard shells) are so hard to eat!

Edited by biakbiak

It’s hot here so I made Black Bean Confetti Salad (added roasted corn because I had some in the freezer). I usually serve it with tortilla chips, avocado slices and some cheddar cheese on the side. I also made pasta salad with smoked mozzarella, salami, cherry tomatoes and bell pepper. This should last us several days so I don’t have to cook.

• Love 2

Since yesterday was Father’s Day, my husband got to decide what to have for dinner.  He wanted pizza, so we ordered from a place we never ordered from before.  But I got to pick the pizza.  Decided on something vegetarian:  spinach and ricotta with cherry tomatoes.  The pizza was more of a flatbread than the typical Neapolitan style that people around here like.  It was pretty good and we’ll definitely try the place again.  Also, our 2 1/2 year old, expressively delayed toddler said “pizza” for the first time.  His vocabulary has grown immensely in theist two months, though not quite at the level most kids his age are at.

We’ll he eating lighter today. 

• Love 2
On 6/18/2021 at 10:12 PM, biakbiak said:

They (hard shells) are so hard to eat!

I figured out how to handle this issue. I spread a thin layer of refried beans on the hard shells, then place them in a warm oven for 5-10 minutes. They soften just enough, don’t crack, and the bean layer also helps to hold onto the other fillings making them neater to eat. 

• Useful 1

For Father's Day dinner, my dad wanted "a steak and potatoes thing", so I did grilled ribeye, a mixed greens salad, sauteed mustard greens, and smashed potatoes with buttermilk, bacon, and scallions.  I don't eat potatoes and my mom will only eat a little bit of mustard greens, but that was still plenty of food for us and he was happy. 

I have two thin-cut pork chops that need to be eaten tonight, so I'm going to brine those and cook them on a grill pan.  Something with chard for the side dish, as I have both red and green and love greens with pork, but I haven't decided specifically how I'm going to prepare them yet.  I haven't decided on the salad yet, either.  I had a big "spring mix" salad topped with shrimp, walnuts, feta, and balsamic vinaigrette for lunch, so maybe just some sort of simple slaw.

• Love 2

Well, here's a confession: I used a Bertolli bag dinner for supper tonight. I added some white wine, a bit of cream cheese, a bit of chicken broth + some seasonings. It was pretty good (& easy!) along with a salad. Some nights I just need a break!

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, here's a confession: I used a Bertolli bag dinner for supper tonight.

Which one?  The sodium content is ridiculous, but, otherwise, for a bag of frozen dinner, I think they're pretty good.  I used to keep a bag of the chicken florentine in the freezer sometimes for "I don't feel like cooking" nights when I wanted something cheaper than ordering in.  But I quit when they cut way down on the amount of chicken included -- I'm not paying that much for just pasta and spinach!

51 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Which one?  The sodium content is ridiculous, but, otherwise, for a bag of frozen dinner, I think they're pretty good.  I used to keep a bag of the chicken florentine in the freezer sometimes for "I don't feel like cooking" nights when I wanted something cheaper than ordering in.  But I quit when they cut way down on the amount of chicken included -- I'm not paying that much for just pasta and spinach!

I threw the garbage bag out, but I think it was chicken carbonara. We don't eat these often but I like to keep one in the freezer for the days when I just don't feel like cooking. With a tossed salad... it's a nice, tasty, quick meal. You could add some leftover peas and/or bits of ham as long as you add something like wine and/or broth to the sauce.

Oh, yeah, I know I can doctor it up, but I'm not giving them my money unless they give me a proper bag of food.  They used to, so the change really ticked me off.  I should probably try again with the shrimp and asparagus; I liked that one, too, and the last time I made it, it still had a decent number of shrimp.

I'm not sure about tonight; I was going to just roast a whole chicken, but I think I might cut it up and roast in an herb wine sauce instead.  Asparagus as the side (I haven't decided the specifics on that yet, either), and an arugula salad.

My favorite grocery store had wild red Argentinian prawns on sale (already shelled and deveined but still raw) so I got some of those and sauted them in butter and olive oil with freshly chopped garlic and black pepper and then a dash of dry white wine. Served them on top of a slice of toasted sourdough bread to mop up all that lovely sauce. Had the last of the strawberries from a few days ago for dessert with some very dark chocolate. Time to go get some more strawberries! (They grow just blocks from my house so its as locavore as you can be :)

• Love 3

Blue Apron was supposed to send me a salmon meal, but sent boneless pork chops instead. BA refunded the cost of the meal. I'm marinating the pork chops for grilling. I'll serve it with zucchini and romesco rice dish that came with the meal.

Chimichurri shrimp with barley, bell pepper, and tomatoes.

The pork chops we grilled last night were the best I've ever had. I used the same brine I usually use, brown sugar, salt, smashed garlic, and whole gloves. The meal included a "Spanish spice blend" that we put on the chops before grilling. I have shied away from ordering pork chop meals from Blue Apron, but these were the most tender, juiciest, flavorful chops I've ever had. One thing I like about Blue Apron is the quality of the protein they send. It is always good. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Last night was wild Alaskan salmon burgers on brioche buns with a touch of mayo, sliced local organic tomatoes, red onion and romaine lettuce (grown by my next door neighbor!). My son flew in yesterday afternoon from Portland to cool, grey beachy central California and since he made me salmon the first night I visited him last year, turn about was fair play :)

• Love 2
On 6/30/2021 at 2:35 PM, chessiegal said:

Blue Apron was supposed to send me a salmon meal, but sent boneless pork chops instead. BA refunded the cost of the meal. I'm marinating the pork chops for grilling. I'll serve it with zucchini and romesco rice dish that came with the meal.

Can you tell me how BA is delivered? I have had 2 instances in the last couple of months of USPS tossing my box in the ditch at the top of my road. Yes, I live on a dirt road that can be problematic in the snow or rain, but midSummer it is dry as a bone. No excuse for not driving to my door. Amazon tracking said it was delivered to my front door...NOPE! 

I am hesitant to sign up for a food service that may end up in the ditch.... 

21 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Can you tell me how BA is delivered?

They're using a delivery service I've never heard of, and one time FedEx. They leave it on my door step. If you go to their website, they'll let you know if they can deliver it to you.

On 7/1/2021 at 5:49 PM, DearEvette said:

It so HOT!!!  I am just having a big ass cobb dinner salad: Mixed greens, egg, bacon, avocado, cherry tomatoes, grilled chicken, gorgonzola cheese and some other stuff...

I thought I was the only person saying "big ass salad"...who started this expression? It always makes me laugh. I don't use it in front of anyone except MrP914 & my sis 😁

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

thought I was the only person saying "big ass salad"...who started this expression?

Don’t know who started it but I have a friend who lives in Ohio and there is a restaurant called Big Ass Salad.

Still in the low 60s so dinner will be white bean and ham soup with homemade sourdough. 

58 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Don’t know who started it but I have a friend who lives in Ohio and there is a restaurant called Big Ass Salad.

Wha....??  I'm amazed they could get away with that. Shock of all shocks 😳

4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Wha....??  I'm amazed they could get away with that. Shock of all shocks 😳

I think anything goes today. I mean, there is now a TV series called Kevin Can Fuck Himself, soooo... (Granted, it's streaming and/or cable, where rules are much more relaxed. But still!)

The actual logo of Big Ass Salads reads Big, a picture of a donkey, then Salads.  Their website is reallybigsalads.com, not bigasssalads.com.

Kevin Can Fuck Himself is titled as Kevin Can F**k Himself (like Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23).  That's how these things are allowed.

• Useful 2