Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Sambal-peanut chicken noodles. I was going to make this yesterday but strong winds blew a tree over the power line that supplies our peninsula around 5 pm. Since we're on a well, in addition to no electricity, we had no water. We didn't get power back until 11, so last night we had cheese on Triscuits with G&Ts.

• Love 1

I had some leftover cranberry sauce from a turkey dinner this weekend so made a glaze mixing it with horseradish for pork chops, leftover stuffing, and spicy broccoli. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Okay, not a failure per se, but I did find out my now beloved immersion circulator isn't as aces at potatoes as it is with carrots (or meat, but that goes without saying). I used the widely recommended time (1 hr) and temp (190 F) and while it was perfectly fine, I prefer potatoes softer than they came out (whereas with carrots, I loved the little extra firmness sous vide provides vegetables). 

Meat, I'm still meaning to do chicken (after great success with both pork shoulder and a simple salmon filet).  Vegetables... I think Brussel Sprouts may be interesting (since traditionally the only way I like them is foil wrapped under high heat, I'd like to see if a low heat method actually works well with them). 

Sous vide update: Corned Beef works pretty well. I've been eating the results for days. 10.5 hours at 180 degrees, then crisp up the outside of the full brisket side after, with about 2 minutes per side on a very hot cast iron skillet.  Viola. A much better end result than boiling corned beef in open, hotter water. My only mistake was not de-brining the meat more.  When you buy pre-brined corned beef at the supermarket, it's usually too salty.  You apparently need to soak it in water for like a day before using it.  I simply washed the brine off, so the result was a bit too salty. But as per usual with sous vide, the texture came out perfect. 

• Love 1

I used Trader Joe’s Garlic spread (it’s basically toum) to marinate chicken thighs which I roasted with smashed potatoes and spicy green beans. The chicken turned out great very garlicky but not overpowering.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Last night was crab cakes (flaked crab, chopped celery, onions, touch of breadcrumbs), sliced vine ripened tomatoes and some salt free blue corn tortilla chips. Our local strawberries for dessert!

• Love 2

I broke out the Immersion Circulator to try with Pork Chops (a pretty short cook compared to most sous vide, only about an hour). Finished on a cast iron skillet for just a minute or so per side.  Pretty good results, but not as overwhelming a difference as doing a big thick piece of meat, like a Pork Shoulder or Brisket side. I almost grabbed a veal shoulder on sale instead, but that takes a LONG cook and I was impatient today. 

• Love 1
(edited)

After staring into the refrigerator for a while, I realized I have the ingredients for bún ga nuong.  So I've got chicken thighs marinating, and made the nuoc cham, and tonight will make a big bowl of vermicelli, vegetables, and herbs, top with the grilled chicken, drizzle with a generous portion of sauce, and enjoy. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
On 5/21/2021 at 3:00 PM, Gramto6 said:

Didn't know what that was so looked it up. Oh my that looks delicious!!

I'm going to make a "bastardized" version of this Sunday night, one chicken thigh boiled in chicken bone broth with ginger and garlic.  Follow cooling directions for chicken... cook rice in most of the broth... sauce will be gochujang diluted with the broth, lemon juice & green onion...making due with what I have on hand... Close , my mouth is watering already...

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

After staring into the refrigerator for a while, I realized I have the ingredients for bún ga nuong.  So I've got chicken thighs marinating, and made the nuoc cham, and tonight will make a big bowl of vermicelli, vegetables, and herbs, top with the grilled chicken, drizzle with a generous portion of sauce, and enjoy. 

bún is one of my very favorite foods! I made a rather disappointing batch a couple of weeks ago. Do you have a recipe you use, or do just know what to do?

(edited)
On 5/21/2021 at 9:31 PM, biakbiak said:

It tis!

Falafel with humus and pickled turnips and tabouli.

Yum!  I'm super-picky about falafels.  I cannot STAND a certain brand (they also make chickpea/falafel patties and that's even grosser) one finds in the supermarket fridge.  Oh, and no tahini for the falafel?

What I ate:  Ordered brunch from a healthy/gluten-free/paleo and keto-friendly restaurant.  Had eggs benedict served on paleo-friendly waffles and coffee.  

Edited by PRgal
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

Oh, and no tahini for the falafel?

Oh yes both tahini and amba sauces as well as tomato and cucumber salad. 

Tonight is animal style Buffalo burgers and oven fries. Tried a new hamburger bun recipe and they look fantastic can’t wait to try them. 

(edited)

It’s Mr Gunderson’s birthday, so we went out to dinner. I had braised short ribs with mushrooms, horseradish mashed potatoes, and roasted carrots. It was easily the best meal I’ve had in months. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 7

Cleaning out the freezer and found some matzo balls and stock so made some soup with a lot of dill, carrots, and leftover chicken. I don’t think I have ever frozen matzo balls because I typically don’t make it for only 2 people but pandemic and all so I was thrilled that they came out light and fluffy! 

• Love 4
On 5/23/2021 at 7:38 AM, MargeGunderson said:

bún is one of my very favorite foods! I made a rather disappointing batch a couple of weeks ago. Do you have a recipe you use, or do just know what to do?

I mostly throw it together - the salad ingredients based on what vegetables I have among those typically used and the meat based on how long I have to marinate it.

• Love 1

Clean out the vegetable bin pasta salad with peppers, broccoli, tomatoes and red onion. For the dressing I used some yummy smoked canned tuna and made a tonnato sauce. It was delicious.

• Love 1

Tonite I made: I made spinach linguini with basil pesto sprinkled with red pepper flakes and extra pignoli on top, roasted cauliflower with almond herb sauce and rosemary focaccia bread with olive oil.

• Love 1

Was in a hurry tonight, so the Country Style pork ribs I had in the fridge got pressure cooked, rather than the long wait for sous viding, or the medium wait in an oven. 

• Love 1

Last night I took advantage of having cut back my completely out of control rosemary bush in the back garden so made chicken thighs, baked on a bed of fresh rosemary branches, topped with garlic powder, salt, pepper and a little more fresh rosemary and butter pats. Simple, easy and yummy (assuming you like rosemary :).

• Love 4

Making a salmon poke bowl tonite. Always a huge hit with the fam.

The rice base is a combo of brown Jasmine, pearl couscous and red quinoa seasoned (very lightly) with rice vinegar.

I top it with sushi grade king salmon and tuna sashimi, avocado, edamame, radish, cucumbers, pickled ginger, crunchy onions and crushed  wasabi seaweed.  Finally it is drizzled with a poke sauce (a sauce made of soy sauce, mirin, green onions, sesame oil, and sugar).

Wasabi, yum yum sauce, sriracha mayo and extra soy sauce are offerred as sides for people to add to taste.

• Love 2
(edited)

Finally made it to the recently opened H Mart and went a little crazy with shopping (the fish ball bar, the kimchi section, etc.) and got a bulgogi hot pot kit for dinner tonight. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 5/23/2021 at 7:38 AM, MargeGunderson said:

I said how I make it varies by what I have on hand, but I wasn't satisfied with the lack of helpfulness in that answer, so I poked around a little and came across this recipe which is very much in line with how I assemble the bowl in general, and specifically what I use for marinade when making bún gà nướng and how I make the nước chấm sauce for so many things.

Tonight I'm going to make scallops saltimbocca - scallops topped with sage leaf, wrapped in prosciutto, and seared just enough to crisp up the prosciutto and cook the scallops.  I think sautéed spinach and mushrooms with a drizzle of balsamic for the side, and some sort of arugula salad.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I said how I make it varies by what I have on hand, but I wasn't satisfied with the lack of helpfulness in that answer, so I poked around a little and came across this recipe which is very much in line with how I assemble the bowl in general, and specifically what I use for marinade when making bún gà nướng and how I make the nước chấm sauce for so many things.

Thank you so much! I could eat bun several times a week, so I will give this recipe a try.

I made shrimp soft tacos tonight, too (not an uncommon thing for me to say; I make many versions and would make tacos even more often if I didn't keep half an eye on carbs).

I seasoned the shrimp with cayenne, garlic, onion, and cumin, and added that to a slaw dressed with a lime juice, cilantro, and garlic dressing plus avocado and cotija cheese. 

• Love 1