Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Do you have a recipe you can share? I’m always on the lookout for good Thai recipes.

Yup.  Here is the general base recipe I like:

https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/panang-curry/

I have modified it over the years.

For instance it calls for 1  1/2 tsp sugar.  I don't use white refined sugar, I use coconut palm sugar.

Also, I give it an extra splash of fish sauce.  Fish sauce smells a little funky, but the flavor it adds to Thai curries is integral.

Also I tried to make my own panang curry paste from scratch once.  Yeah, no.  Even the guy in the Asian market was like -- the store bought is fine.  I use either Maesri brand or Thai Kitchen.

This recipe doesn't include any veggies but I like to add some snap peas or red/yellow sweet peppers.

Also for my rice,  I use Jasmine rice and will add a quarter cup of unsweetened shredded coconut flakes, lightly toasted and about a tablespoon of coconut cream incorporated into the liquid in the rice cooker.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I love The Woks of Life! So many great recipes.

Pasta with pesto, heirloom tomatoes, and burrata and a spinach salad. 

I have learned so much from The Woks of Life! I especially love the ingredients section of the site. I use their recommendations for brands when I’m at my local Asian market. I have a freezer full of noodles that I bought on my last trip because I saw so many noodle recipes I wanted to try. 

• Useful 1

We had a particularly good Blue Apron meal tonight. Salmon and sushi rice bowls. The cooked salmon (we grilled) is flaked and ponzu sauce added. That's served over the rice with a sweet pepper and cucumber salad, topped with cubed avocado and rice wine vinegar layer, topped with a chili mayonnaise sauce.

• Love 3

You are always finding the most wonderful stuff in your freezer, @biakbiak. And then making even more wonderful stuff out of it. I dig around in my freezer and find a bag of frozen-to-dust hot dog buns and a tube sock filled with rice. I'm living my life all wrong.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

You are always finding the most wonderful stuff in your freezer, @biakbiak. And then making even more wonderful stuff out of it. I dig around in my freezer and find a bag of frozen-to-dust hot dog buns and a tube sock filled with rice. I'm living my life all wrong.

Thank you! It helps that we got a chest freezer because I hate waste and it’s usually only two of us so have room to store stuff and to forget about! Though I did finally get a magnetic whiteboard for it and or kitchen fridge/freezer so we can keep at least a general list of what’s where. 

• Love 1

I didn't feel like cooking tonight, so I just ordered Korean food, which I haven't had in a while (other than snacking on some frozen beef bulgari mandu I picked up at Costco when it was in the coupon book) -- an appetizer serving of samgyeopsal (pork strips basted with ssamjang and grilled, scooped into lettuce cups along with perilla leaves, onion, and kimchi), plus jjamppong (seafood and noodle soup) and Nakji bokkeum (spicy stir-fried octopus and vegetables). 

Yum; I can't wait.  I need to make/order Korean food more often.  I should have gone with the soup OR the stir fry, since seafood doesn't reheat very well, but I couldn't decide so got a half order of the soup.  Oh well.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I did finally get a magnetic whiteboard for it and or kitchen fridge/freezer so we can keep at least a general list of what’s where. 

My husband started keeping a Word document called "Food Inventory" to track what's in our downstairs freezer, and that was working great till he started being passive-aggressive by bullet-pointing items he wasn't allowed to use. (He's not allowed to use them because he never tells me when he's used them up.) And then he just stopped adding new items to the file.

But I can assure you that if I ever found leftover brisket in my freezer, I'd know that the ghost of my grandmother was sneaking things in there. So I'm very jealous of your fabulous finds.

• LOL 1

Watching an overly excited 10 year old who is about to return to in person school tomorrow so let her choose the menu so Caesar salad, sausage and mushroom pizza, and coconut cream pie.  

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4

Slow Cooker Creamy Tuscan Chicken.. I've made this 3 times and everyone just loves it; however, I may hold off til the fall now.  It is chicken breasts, alfredo sauce, sundried tomatoes, spinach, garlic.. To die for.

• Love 2

I found a can of evaporated milk in my pantry - I can't remember what I bought it for but didn't wind up making - so I'm going to make tallarines verdes (basically Peruvian pesto, for anyone unfamiliar) tonight with chicken milanesa and linguine.  For the salad, mixed greens, tomato, cucumber, and onion with a chile lime vinaigrette.

• Love 1

It's frakking hot, so I had a cold soba noodle salad last night, tossed with chicken, cucumber, radish, scallions, and cilantro and a chile-scallion oil (this recipe).

Tonight is my mom's birthday dinner, so I will have to slave over a hot stove - thankfully, at their house, which they waste ridiculous amounts of energy keeping cooled or warmed.  I'm going to make the America's Test Kitchen version (more work than typical recipes, but well worth it) of shrimp scampi and serve with roasted asparagus, slaw with dill and corn, and a warmed baguette for which I made a garlic, parsley, and lemon compound butter.  Basic yellow cake with chocolate frosting for dessert.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

It's frakking hot, so I had a cold soba noodle salad last night, tossed with chicken, cucumber, radish, scallions, and cilantro and a chile-scallion oil (this recipe).

Tonight is my mom's birthday dinner, so I will have to slave over a hot stove - thankfully, at their house, which they waste ridiculous amounts of energy keeping cooled or warmed.  I'm going to make the America's Test Kitchen version (more work than typical recipes, but well worth it) of shrimp scampi and serve with roasted asparagus, slaw with dill and corn, and a warmed baguette for which I made a garlic, parsley, and lemon compound butter.  Basic yellow cake with chocolate frosting for dessert.

That all sounds so good!

I made a salad with romaine, Napa cabbage, carrots, snow peas, mint, and cilantro, tossed with a peanut dressing and wonton strips.

• Love 2
On 8/13/2021 at 3:13 AM, MargeGunderson said:

There’s a heat wave here, so that’s why I made it. This is my favorite recipe.

The photo seems weird to me because it looks as though it has cream in it.  Did yours look the same way?

I'll take one for the team and admit that my dinner was peanut butter straight from the jar with spicy pickles on the side.  Dessert later will be Ben and Jerry's.

In my pathetic defence, I live alone.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Leeds said:

The photo seems weird to me because it looks as though it has cream in it.  Did yours look the same way?

No, no cream in it. It is more orange in color than red. I do make it with a combination of red and yellow heirloom tomatoes, so maybe that’s the reason.

• Love 1
On 8/17/2021 at 9:03 PM, Leeds said:

I'll take one for the team and admit that my dinner was peanut butter straight from the jar with spicy pickles on the side.  Dessert later will be Ben and Jerry's.

In my pathetic defence, I live alone.

Another one for the team... It has been cold and rainy here totally different from most of you. I had 1/2 organic roma tomato with a dash of ranch dressing and one mini bagel, half with smoked salmon cream cheese, the othe with plain cream cheese and a sprinkle of Trader Joe's Everything but the bagel sprinkle. Not much appetite... I too live alone...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Another one for the team... It has been cold and rainy here totally different from most of you. I had 1/2 organic roma tomato with a dash of ranch dressing and one mini bagel, half with smoked salmon cream cheese, the othe with plain cream cheese and a sprinkle of Trader Joe's Everything but the bagel sprinkle. Not much appetite...

Yours sounds much more nutritionally sound than mine!

• Love 1

So, on a friend's recommendation, I bought a prime cut of beef from my favorite butcher called "Baja Fillet". I have no idea what part of the steer this comes from, but I went for it and decided to just grill it very plainly last evening so I could ascertain the flavor of the meat without any marinade or sauce. (Just used a touch of salt, garlic powder and freshly ground black pepper)

It was very good, definitely super tender and no waste (no fat or gristle at all). I think a little BBQ sauce on the side would be nice.

In the process I discovered my grill cover has disintegrated so now I get to buy a new one. We converted our propane tank driven gas grill to natural gas powered (had a pro run a line to hook it up permanently to the house gas) and it was one of the better things we did as I grill at least once a week and there is no longer that propane residue smell that used to bug me so much. (I am way too busy to mess with charcoal, sorry!)

3 hours ago, isalicat said:

So, on a friend's recommendation, I bought a prime cut of beef from my favorite butcher called "Baja Fillet". I have no idea what part of the steer this comes from,

The shoulder.

• Useful 1

Our grill has been woefully unused this summer so we decided to just grill.  So we had Grilled porterhouse steaks,  loaded twice baked potatoes (on the grill), grilled vegetables skewers(zucchini, cherry tomatoes, sweet red/orange pepper, eggplant) drizzled with balsamic.

• Love 3

Panang curry (jarred paste, coconut milk, extra fish sauce) with fried tofu, zucchini, yellow pepper, carrots and a few tomatoes over spaghetti, like a laksa curry. Leftovers for tomorrow, with fresh extras (cooking/dining for one has its privileges).

Gramto6, I make salmon low-fat cream cheese for my mini bagels, then sprinkle TJ's EBTB on top;-)

• Love 1
21 hours ago, buttersister said:

Panang curry (jarred paste, coconut milk, extra fish sauce) with fried tofu, zucchini, yellow pepper, carrots and a few tomatoes over spaghetti, like a laksa curry. Leftovers for tomorrow, with fresh extras (cooking/dining for one has its privileges).

Gramto6, I make salmon low-fat cream cheese for my mini bagels, then sprinkle TJ's EBTB on top;-)

You didn't have rice noodles?  Did it work well with spaghetti?

13 hours ago, buttersister said:

None in the house right now. It reminded me of a laksa curry. ❤️

I spent a few weeks in Malaysia decades ago and couldn't get enough of the food!  My town used to have an amazing Malaysian restaurant with laksa to die for.  Since they closed a good while ago, I've been searching in vain for a good replacement.  :-( 

• Love 1