Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

45 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

stuffed squash blossoms

What did you stuff them with?

I didn't plant a garden this year because my back wasn't up for it, and my parents only planted tomatoes and corn for the same reason, but my friend is keeping me supplied with zucchini and crookneck squash from her garden, so I've still been able to enjoy squash blossoms.  I'm always interested to hear what flavor combinations others use for stuffing them.

15 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Everything you make always sounds so good!

Thank you!

Tonight was yakisoba with shrimp and pork belly and a bunch of random vegetables. 

I also used the leftover mash from making strawberry cordial over those supermarket sponge dessert cups and milk which reminded me of my childhood!

Not into cooking tonight. Had a White Castle slider with cheddar and jalapenos and geen beans with Buttermilk Ranch dressing, Strawberry Haagen Dazs ice cream for dessert. Haven't had much of an appetite lately

• Love 5
(edited)

Still having eating issues, grilled cheese with harissa and onion soup for dinner. Haagen Das Strawberry ice cream for dessert and a couple Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Thin Cookies for dessert.

Went for my yearly dr exam on Monday and I have lost 12.5#. Now at 133.6# and I wasn't trying to lose weight. I'm 72 5'4" so getting lower than I should. The good news was my A1c was 5.2%....

I am trying hard to come up with things that will taste good to me.  @DearEvette that Dinosaur Barbecue's Sensuous Slathering Sauce sounds delicious! I found it on Amazon and added it to my Shopping List.  I'm sure here in the boonies in MT no store will be carrying it!

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I am trying hard to come up with things that will taste good to me.  @DearEvette that Dinosaur Barbecue's Sensuous Slathering Sauce sounds delicious! I found it on Amazon and added it to my Shopping List.  I'm sure here in the boonies in MT no store will be carrying it!

Yes.  It is really good.  The Dinosaur Barbecue is a local restaurant in Syracuse, NY where I went to college.  Their barbecue is divine and has earned a well deserved regional reputation of having great food.  And eating at the restaurant itself is a good experience -- an interesting meld of southern soul food, a biker bar, and a cookout.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Yes.  It is really good.  The Dinosaur Barbecue is a local restaurant in Syracuse, NY where I went to college.  Their barbecue is divine and has earned a well deserved regional reputation of having great food.  And eating at the restaurant itself is a good experience -- an interesting meld of southern soul food, a biker bar, and a cookout.

There is also one in Troy, NY, too. Also good!

• Love 1

Is it "local" if there are multiple locations, in other cities?  I've eaten at Dinosaur in Brooklyn and Harlem, and there's even a location in Newark.  

11 hours ago, Quof said:

Is it "local" if there are multiple locations, in other cities?  I've eaten at Dinosaur in Brooklyn and Harlem, and there's even a location in Newark.  

It originated in Syracuse and that was the only location for many years.  It was certainly the only location when I was in college. So for me it was local.  Then they opened a Rochester, NY location about 10 years after the Syracuse location. Then about six years after that they opened in Harlem, NY.  There are I think about seven locations total with Newark being the only out of state. 

I've eaten at the one in Harlem (yummmmmm).  There was one in Baltimore a few years ago, but it didn't last nearly long enough.  Went there a couple of times after baseball games. 

Last of Blue Apron dinners from last Friday - seared scallops & lemon-caper butter with pancetta, corn, peppers, and fregola sarda (a type of pasta I'd never heard of). The other meals were 2 variations on chicken rice bowls and a soy garlic shrimp dish.

I've started getting 4 meals per week - it's s nice not to have to shop for dinner ingredients. I find if I get my mise en place done by 5, dinner comes together quickly at 7:30 after Jeopardy!☺️

• Love 2
(edited)

Eggplant Parmesan for dinner.  But also Pecan pie. 

I am on a committee that is tasked with finding a new software for one of my departments. I had been working closely with one of the vendors we are considering and they were one of the final two.  But I had to give them the news that we were  going with the other vendor.  And what do you know,  they sent me a pecan pie from this company in Texas as a thank you for considering them.  it is called a  Brazos Bottom pecan pie and it comes in this fancy wooden box that they had customized with their logo.

It was one of the best pecan pies I have ever had.  Seriously.  I hate them when they are super syrupy and sweet.  This one is just rich and buttery and not too sweet at all.  And the crust is flaky as hell.  And nobody else in my family likes pecan pie so it is all mine.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 9
On 7/23/2021 at 6:39 PM, chessiegal said:

Last of Blue Apron dinners from last Friday - seared scallops & lemon-caper butter with pancetta, corn, peppers, and fregola sarda (a type of pasta I'd never heard of). The other meals were 2 variations on chicken rice bowls and a soy garlic shrimp dish.

I've started getting 4 meals per week - it's s nice not to have to shop for dinner ingredients. I find if I get my mise en place done by 5, dinner comes together quickly at 7:30 after Jeopardy!☺️

Did you like it? I also have never heard of it, but looked it up on Amazon and it looks interesting. How did Blue Apron prepare it?

1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

Did you like it? I also have never heard of it, but looked it up on Amazon and it looks interesting. How did Blue Apron prepare it?

It came in a plastic pouch - you just boiled it in water 7-9 minutes.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

It came in a plastic pouch - you just boiled it in water 7-9 minutes.

Thanks! It is dried in a bag on Amazon. I'm going t look up some recipes and see if it would work for me.

Picked up some lovely heirloom tomatoes at the farmers market so did pasta with them burrata, garlic and red pepper flakes, and basil with a little gem salad with a green goddess dressing. Quick and tasty! 

• Love 2
(edited)

@biakbiak, the icebox cake is delicious! I refrigerated for about 14 hours and the wafers were soft but not completely disintegrated. I rank it right up there with Ina Garten’s mocha icebox cake which is my favorite icebox cake. 

There is a lot of it - the recipe easily serves 6-8 (or more). I should have made a half batch for just the two of us.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

There is a lot of it - the recipe easily serves 6-8 (or more). I should have made a half batch for just the two of us.

Perfect. We are going out with a few friends and then back here for dessert. Also, I lovingly call my boyfriend a garbage disposal so he could probably eat 3-4 servings himself if it was available to him. 

• LOL 1

Italian Wedding Soup and warm italian bread with roasted garlic butter.

One time I made Italian Wedding and didn't have any orzo or any other small pasta, so i decided what the heck, I have some barley.  I'll use that.  It came out great and now I make it with barley more often than not.  I love barley!

• Love 4

I often make Italian Wedding soup and freeze it, so I leave out the pasta, intending to make just enough for what I pull out of the freezer. I’ve forgotten to add the pasta the last couple of times I’ve defrosted it, and neither my husband and I really missed it. Barley does sound like it would be a nice change from pasta.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I usually double the amount of meatballs from IWS and than freeze them separately to serve them as sandwiches on pita or lavash. 

Tonight clean out the fridge pasta salad with the leftover gribiche as the dressing.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/25/2021 at 6:28 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Made from scratch green bean casserole - weird, but I had a very specific craving for it. I also made peasant bread from Alexandra’s Kitchen, which is easy and pretty good. I also made chocolate banana icebox cake which is similar to banana pudding but with chocolate wafers instead of Nilla wafers. I haven’t tried it yet but it looks good! 

That Peasant Bread recipe looks really good! When it cools down some, I am going  to give it a try!

May try it in a moonpie pan and use as buns.... the dinner rolls are a definite plan.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I often make Italian Wedding soup and freeze it, so I leave out the pasta, intending to make just enough for what I pull out of the freezer. I’ve forgotten to add the pasta the last couple of times I’ve defrosted it, and neither my husband and I really missed it.

Since it's just me, I always make it without the pasta, and just add noodles one serving at a time to what I've put in the refrigerator upon making a big batch.  After a while, though, I've often quit messing with the pasta altogether, and, yeah, it's just as good.

• Love 2
(edited)

I just ordered some Fregola from Amazon and was looking at Italian Wedding Soup recipes. Giada's doesn't have any pasta in it at all. I want one to use the new pasta I just bought so still searching. But I do like the idea of freezing it w/out the pasta in serving sizes and adding it when I recook it.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 1
On 7/26/2021 at 11:57 PM, Gramto6 said:

I just ordered some Fregola from Amazon and was looking at Italian Wedding Soup recipes. Giada's doesn't have any pasta in it at all. I want one to use the new pasta I just bought so still searching. But I do like the idea of freezing it w/out the pasta in serving sizes and adding it when I recook it.

My go to is Ina Garten’s.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

My go to is Ina Garten’s.

That's the one I make.  I omit the carrots (I don't like cooked carrots), use whole wheat bread crumbs instead of white (just because that's what I use for everything calling for bread crumbs - that's the bread I eat, so that's what my crumbs are made from), use extra spinach, and often omit the pasta.  Despite that list, though, it's fundamentally her version, and it's delicious.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/26/2021 at 11:59 PM, Bastet said:

Since it's just me, I always make it without the pasta, and just add noodles one serving at a time to what I've put in the refrigerator upon making a big batch.  After a while, though, I've often quit messing with the pasta altogether, and, yeah, it's just as good.

@biakbiak Thanks for Ina's recipe! The pasta should arrive tomorrow. Have a dr appt up in town so will stop in grocery store  for ingredients.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 1

Shrimp panang curry over coconut rice.  My version will never match my favorite Thai restaurant's, but it comes kinda close.  Also had my last piece of my pecan pie. Sob.  Went to see where they ordered it and yeah...not spending $42.00 on a pie as good as it was.  LOL.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Shrimp panang curry over coconut rice.  My version will never match my favorite Thai restaurant's, but it comes kinda close.  Also had my last piece of my pecan pie. Sob.  Went to see where they ordered it and yeah...not spending $42.00 on a pie as good as it was.  LOL.

Do you have a recipe you can share? I’m always on the lookout for good Thai recipes.