Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Since the average high here is 77 degrees today and it never got above 53 and rained all day, I made Moroccan lentil and chickpea soup for lunch. Mexican turkey and brown rice bowls for dinner.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I seasoned the shrimp with cayenne, garlic, onion, and cumin, and added that to a slaw dressed with a lime juice, cilantro, and garlic dressing plus avocado and cotija cheese.

Yup,  is almost exactly how I prepared mine. 

In addition to the seasonings above, I also used Trader Joe's Chili Lime seasoning.

The slaw I use is dressed in a cilantro and garlic crema (sour cream, a little bit of heavy cream for texture, and  lime juice).

Today nobody is home too cook for yay! So for myself I did a big ass dinner salad of grilled salmon over spring field greens, radish, red sweet peppers, and red onion dressed with Girard's champagne vinagrette.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

It only made it to the upper 40s today, so I made comfort food - Swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes, and green beans. 

Did you have some ligonberries with the meatballs? Felix is the best brand. I can't find it in any of my supermarkets so I now order it from Amazon.

Yeah for vaccines! Went to a friend’s house I haven’t seen in person for a year and half. She is from Cameroon and made my favorite dish ndolé (nut stew with bitter greens, beef and fish) bobolo (fermented cassava in banana leaves) and plantains! So tasty!

• Love 6
(edited)

We had a lowkey pot luck cookout with some extended family yesterday, not the big blowouts we usually have.  Only about 10 of us.  Yay, vaccine!

I ended up having grilled chicken sandwiches on onion rolls topped with grilled veggies and pesto mayo.  Seasoned sweet potato fries with sriracha mayo. And one of my cousins brought vegetarian Dolmas (stuffed grape leaves) with tzatziki which were pretty damned tasty.  And key lime pie in a dark chocolate cookie crust.  

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 4

Halibut! Oh, how I love fresh wild halibut and it being on sale (still insanely expensive), I bought myself a small halibut steak which I grilled with garlic, black pepper, a squeeze or two of lemon juice, and a couple of pats of butter, and then ate with a bit more lemon juice. It really did not need anything else - it was so sweet and tasty.

• Love 3

I made shrimp and grits yesterday,

The shrimp part is actually shrimp, andouille sausage, and red, yellow and and orange sweet peppers sauteed with garlic, cajun spices, butter and a little bit of chicken stock.

The grits are simmered in chicken stock and heavy cream with some cheddar cheese stirred in at the end.

• Love 2

For my Birthday dinner tonight, I am having pan fried huge scallops, brown/wild rice mix with with garlic butter, a green salad and a slice of key lime pie as a treat. Washed down with Prosecco.

Probably one of my favorite meals!!

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

For my Birthday dinner tonight, I am having pan fried huge scallops, brown/wild rice mix with with garlic butter, a green salad and a slice of key lime pie as a treat. Washed down with Prosecco.

Probably one of my favorite meals!!

Happy birthday!🎊🎉 I hope you enjoy your dinner.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Happy birthday!🎊🎉 I hope you enjoy your dinner.

Thank You! Indeed I will! 72 trips around the sun...never thought I'd make it this long!

• Love 3

Adding to the birthday wishes, and thanking you for putting an end to my dithering on whether to make shrimp something or scallops something tonight - scallops it shall be.  Seared scallops with cucumber and mango salsa, since I have a cucumber that needs to be used ASAP.  Served over cauliflower rice (made with a little bit of lime zest and cilantro), with roasted asparagus as the side.  The salad will be arugula and endive, with some sort of vinaigrette, cheese, and roasted nut still to be determined.

• Love 2

Charcuterie board tonite. 

I did the standing in the fridge staring thing trying to decide what to do.  But I have this weakness for cheese and will always buy several types to snack on.  I have this one lovely cheese called Artigiano Vino Rosso which is a semi-hard cheddar in a red wine brine. There are these little crystalline  bits in the cheese that add to texture and flavor.

Artigiano_Product_1.jpg.ebd31fe30420e36e1af3c4492a08a51f.jpg

I basically built a board around that cheese it pairs well with prosciutto and  soppressata dolce.  I added a couple more cheeses, some bruschetta, olive tapenade, roasted several bulbs of garlic, cut chunks of Wegman's Tuscan Garlic bread, some olives, sun dried tomatoes.  Had a nice Riesling with it.

• Love 3

I picked up a pork butt at the store yesterday so I could make some pulled pork.  It tasted good, but I've come to the realization that I'm terrible at the last step of the process.  I have a very simple recipe:  I put the meat in the slow cooker with a little water and chopped onion.  When it's cooked tender, I remove it from the pot and place into a pan. This is where I have problems.  I have no talent for the shredding of the pork.  I know I've seen people on TV shows just taking two forks and working quickly to shred up the meat into nice bite-sized pieces, I'm so clumsy with the forks, getting them tangled, completely missing the piece with one fork, etc.  Sometimes it makes me made when I'm struggling with it, other times it makes me laugh.  I just don't know how some people do it.  Lots of practice, I guess?  Anyway, I finally got it all shredded nicely and mixed in some BBQ sauce.  The resulting sandwiches were good, and I have plenty left over for a few more meals.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

Lots of practice, I guess? 

My friend who has similar issues uses her stand mixer and it works great.

Butter basted steak, spicy green beans, and roasted potatoes.

• Love 2

Tonight I am doing my copycat recipe of the Popeye's spicy chicken sandwich (boneless  chicken thighs seasoned with Trader Joe's chile lime seasoning, honey sriracha seasoning, garlic, smoked paprika, cayenne, and salt soaked in a buttermilk brine for several hours). The sandwich is dressed with a spicy mayo sauce, pickles and served in a buttered toasted brioche bun.

This is the one of the few remaining things I still use my deep fryer for.  The coating (seasoned flour and cornstarch) is key.  I tried it in the air fryer once and it just wasn't the same, imo. 

It is accompanied by homemade coleslaw.

• Love 4

Anchiote shrimp topped with pickled onions and chopped (garden fresh) cilantro.  The side was roasted (garden fresh) zucchini seasoned with garlic, cayenne, and chili powder, topped with cotija cheese, cilantro, and lime juice.  The salad was mixed greens with cilantro pepita dressing.

So, yeah, cilantro night here.  I'm waiting for my stomach to tell my brain I'm full, because right now I still want more yummy food.

(edited)
On 6/7/2021 at 7:59 PM, DearEvette said:

Pepperoni Pizza Soup and caesar salad.

This inspired me to make a pepperoni, red pepper, and provolone Stromboli and a Caesar. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1

Last night's dinner was mostly courtesy of Trader Joe's freezer section (well some of it).

The me portion of it was fresh ramen noodles sauteed in sesame oil and lightly coated with a sauce of ginger, garlic, scallion, soy sauce, rice vinegar, a little sugar and a little chicken broth for moisture -- just enough to coat not enough to make a broth -- and drizzled with chili oil.

Trader Joe's provided vegetable and shrimp gyoza (I steamed them) and scallion pancakes.  I made a dipping sauce of soy sauce, sesame oil and sweet chili sauce.

I just love TJ's gyoza (I love the texture) and their scallion pancakes and could almost eat them weekly.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Man I wish there was a Trader Joe's in my state! A CA transplant in MT, I'd have to drive to Spokane to get to one...Love MT but miss some of the conveniences of CA...

Go to Amazon and enter Trader Joe. It's amazing how much TJ stuff you can get. I love the TJ Spicy Chai Tea Latte and the Mustard Aioli and ordered both from Amazon just after everything shut down last spring.

• Useful 3

Thanks will check it out!

12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Go to Amazon and enter Trader Joe. It's amazing how much TJ stuff you can get. I love the TJ Spicy Chai Tea Latte and the Mustard Aioli and ordered both from Amazon just after everything shut down last spring.

• Love 1

We just had a take-out gourmet dinner, compliments of the Reston, VA Community Center in lieu of their annual vol appreciation dinner. Gourmet entrees (I had beef tenderloin & our tax aid volunteer had sea bass), gorgeous salads topped w/ fricos & candied bacon, white truffle & cauliflower bisque, 2 Chocolate Creameaux, and 2 wine glasses w/ battery candles & "lampshades". It all came packed in a pretty tote bag. They always have gourmet food at their appreciation dinners but this take-out version was special.

• Love 7

We had family over for a cookout (they are from NC but the son just moved to our area). We had steak tips, grilled shrimp. vegetable kabobs, potato salad, and cucumber onion salad. For dessert, brownies and blueberry cobbler bars. I’m skipping dinner!

• Love 2

Yesterday I made Giada De Laurentiis' slow cooker short rib ragu and served it over rigatoni.  It is super easy to make but tastes like you did a lot of work.  I am a huge lover of mole sauce and there is dark chocolate in this recipe that gives it a mole sort of flair.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

For some reason I craved something I can’t remember the last time I had which was a hard shell taco so did some ground beef tacos. It fulfilled the craving but realized I can probably go another 10-15 years without having them again.

• LOL 1
21 hours ago, biakbiak said:

For some reason I craved something I can’t remember the last time I had which was a hard shell taco so did some ground beef tacos. It fulfilled the craving but realized I can probably go another 10-15 years without having them again.

I much prefer the soft tacos myself! But glad your craving was satisfied for another decade. 😋

• Love 1