Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I swear that seeing St. Patrick’s themed ads makes my boyfriend start craving all of the things his Irish mother used to make (it’s why I also am currently brining a brisket for corned beef) so bangers and mash with onion gravy, buttered peas, and blistered tomatoes that I had to use up.

Edited by biakbiak

I would rather have bangers and mash (yummm!) than corned beef any day. I have gone to so so many St. Patrick's Day dinners and come home hungry as I just don't like corned beef and cabbage. My local best market has Irish bangers on sale so that will definitely be my dinner this coming Wednesday while wearing the green. (No, I'm not of Irish descent but one day a year we all are, right?)

• Love 2
5 hours ago, isalicat said:

I would rather have bangers and mash (yummm!) than corned beef any day. I have gone to so so many St. Patrick's Day dinners and come home hungry as I just don't like corned beef and cabbage.

Oh, thank God I'm not alone there. And I AM of Irish (among other things!) descent. St. Paddy's Day has always been hell for me because of it.

I don't eat corned beef and cabbage, either.  I like cabbage, but not corned beef.

I went a little crazy at the seafood market yesterday (which matches the fact I went, well, nuts at the nut bins a couple of weeks ago, bringing home almonds, walnuts, peanuts, and pistachios, but at least nuts last a long time), so I'll be eating a lot of seafood.

Last night I made fish tacos with Alaskan halibut, today's lunch was a mixed greens salad with shrimp, avocado, feta, walnuts, and balsamic dressing, and tonight I'm going to do something with scallops.  Maybe au gratin.

Tomorrow night I'm going to take a seafood break and roast tri-tip I've been marinating.  After that, I'll have jumbo shrimp, Dungeness crab, and jumbo squid to use.  Yum.  Right now, I'm thinking shrimp scampi, crab cakes, and some sort of stuffed squid, but we'll see as the week goes on.

• Love 2

I am of Irish descent, don't mind corned beef and cabbage, but since I am alone now it is just too much food and I don't like the corned beef after it is frozen. So I bought sliced corned beef meat, swiss cheese some red cabbage and red onions and store made pizza dough. I'm going to make corned beef and cabbage "pizza" turnovers dipped in TJ's aioli garlic mustard for St Paddy's Day! It's a made up recipe but I think it will be very good...

• Love 3

Continuing my seafood extravaganza, tonight I made shrimp scampi following the much-praised America's Test Kitchen recipe.  It was indeed delicious - quite flavorful, but not via swimming in butter (oh, there's butter, and a lot of it, but it's not relied on predominantly like many disappointing versions; there are herbs and shrimp stock galore added to the garlic and butter, and no salt).

The salad was arugula with lemon vinaigrette, and I also made some garlic bread to sop up the extra sauce with a thick slice of some sourdough made by a neighbor.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Squid stuffed with a mixture of cooked chard, onion that has been sautéed with parsley, thyme, rosemary, garlic & a little cayenne pepper, bread crumbs, and lemon zest.  They're prepped, and will cook in white wine and be served over arugula. 

I had a big salad for lunch, so I'm going to skip the side salad since there's already arugula.  I'll make roasted asparagus, plus couscous with scallions and pine nuts. 

Last week, I got an email from ATK that included a recipe for salmon piccata that looked good. I picked up some salmon and beautiful asparagus this morning. 

Dinner tonight was salmon piccata, asparagus with piccata sauce, and lemon parsley linguine.

• Love 2

Is green liquid allowed?  I recall that dark liquids - red jello, coffee - weren't allowed because they could confound the results.   Wonder if green jello might "colour" the doctor's view.  

• Useful 1
19 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Nothing with a red hue (Because it mimics blood). 

As I discovered when I ate a red popsicle when I had a stomach bug, and was vomiting red.  Freaked me right the hell out until my brain kicked in and said, "Popsicle, not blood!"

• Love 1

Made some rye bread, previously homemade corned beef, homemade sauerkraut and homemade Russian dressing, to make reubens! I did not make the cheese but did make the dill pickles and macaroni salad to accompany them. 

• Love 3

So I started Hello Fresh and tonight is hoison and pineapple pork stir fry with black rice. It's pretty good and surprise, I really like the black rice. I'm not sure how long the meal orders will last, in already a little overwhelmed by the amount of food and there's a lot of chicken and beef options (don't like chicken and not a big fan of beef), but I feel like I'm being healthy-ish.

(I feel the need to say I'm actually a good cook but way to lazy to go to the store and figure out meal portions for just one person.) 😣

21 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

feel the need to say I'm actually a good cook but way to lazy to go to the store and figure out meal portions for just one person.) 😣

Sometimes it’s also just nice to already have the decision of what’s for dinner already made, that was my favorite part of using them when I got free trials. 

Chicken fajitas. I feel it’s been over a week since I have had guacamole and that’s unacceptable. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

hicken fajitas. I feel it’s been over a week since I have had guacamole and that’s unacceptable. 

Sorry - the C of "Chicken" seems to have fallen leftward off the page...

anyways, I am so with you but my love of all things avocado requires a daily portion, whether on the side with scrambled eggs with monterey jack cheese and salsa, or in my every day throw it all in lunch salad, or in some way part of dinner...

Today I took tuna salad sandwiches (chock full of said tuna salad, sliced cucumbers, sliced fresh tomato, spring greens and a half of mashed avocado per sandwich as the "spread") to a home bound older friend locally and we ate outside socially distanced on her back patio in the spring sunshine with the accompaniment of her glorious water fountain. Had newly picked strawberries (the fields about a mile from my house just opened their stand last weekend) for dessert. Life is good.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I am so with you but my love of all things avocado requires a daily portion,

One of the few “joys” of the pandemic and not having to leave the house in the morning and getting back into making sourdough means that a go to breakfast has become avocado toast with a poached egg and hot sauce!

• Love 1

I have a question re these meal kits. Are the items frozen, fresh, shelf stable packaging? I live alone and have limited refrigerator/freezer storage space. Apparently most supply meals for a minimum of 2 so I would have lots of leftovers. Add to that I am in the boonies in MT and many/most don't even deliver here. Is this something I should explore more? Is it worth it? It would be nice to not have to go out to shop so much, but I don't want to waste a lot of food either.