Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Last night was some packaged ravioli (ricotta and spinach filled) with tomato/red pepper sauce from Italy (actual frozen meal from Italy) which I could not even finish - I've realized that pasta cannot be a main dish for me as I fill up easily and its mostly starch. Tonight I am making a lovely tri tip roast which will be accompanied by salad and some cabernet sauvignon from the Alexander Valley (the brand is "Technique" and it is inexpensive and really fruity and good - you can get it at Trader Joe's).

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Last night I went over to my parents' house and made kung pao chicken for Father's Day dinner.  I also made a colorful chop salad with romaine, red cabbage, carrot, yellow bell pepper, scallions, cilantro, bean sprouts, and peanuts with a sesame ginger dressing.  My mom made jasmine rice, because they like rice with kung pao.

I just had leftover kung pao (I made a ton so I could leave some behind and take some home) for lunch.  I don't normally eat leftovers of one night's dinner the next day's lunch, but it was the only thing in the fridge I could just pop in the microwave to reheat, and that was too appealing to resist.

I haven't figured out what I'm going to make for dinner yet (probably some sort of shrimp tacos), but I did decide I'm going to prepare an Indonesian-style (Ina Garten's recipe) ginger chicken (which marinates overnight) to cook tomorrow night.

I have some shrimp and scallop ceviche "cooking", and will make a nice big salad with it - butter lettuce, scallions, cilantro, avocado, and the shellfish, with a little reserved marinade as a dressing.

I have more scallops to use (my last until I venture out again), so I'm going to make them pretty simply: pan seared with asparagus and topped with a sauce of reduced white wine, orange juice, and butter, plus bacon (I normally make it with pancetta, but I don't have any) and chives.

The side will be even simpler, sesame snow peas (snow peas with sesame oil and seeds), and the salad mixed greens and avocado with lemon vinaigrette. 

• Love 5

I am SO bored with everything I have been cooking so tonight will be a hybrid meal: crab cakes with hot curry sauce on corn tortillas. The crab cakes were on sale but I forgot to buy any traditional Louis type sauce or some fresh salsa so I'm going to try curry....probably do a chopped tomato, red onion and cucumber salad on the side.

Blue Apron Hot Italian Pork Sausage burgers. The sausage has fontina cheese mixed in. The recipe includes oven fries and sautéed onion, but I'm just making the burgers on the grill and serve with a side of cucumber salad.

I'm going to make pork chops tonight, too.  (Well, a pork chop; it's a regular-sized one, rather than the thin cut I normally buy, so I'm just grilling one rather than two.)  Kale sautéed with red onion and garlic for the side, and I have not yet decided on the salad -- maybe some sort of slaw.

Last night's supper was Mexican-Style Ground Beef & Noodle Casserole, + a tossed salad. I've been going through the gazillion recipes discovered on the internet & printed (then stuffed into a file and forgotten). It was good but I got carried away & made it almost a bit too rich with fresh mozzarella and then  some Gruyere I found in the fridge.  

I'm having guests for dinner tonight! (very dear old friends who have been entirely isolated, as I have for the most part, so we should be safe) So I spent Sunday afternoon making chili colorado (basically chili that starts with good stew meat - NOT ground beef - onions and garlic and then I add tomato paste, oregano, cumin and red pepper and lots of water and simmer....this is one of those dishes that really tastes better a day or so on so I cooked it for a few hours on Sunday, then refrigerated and now I am finishing it off by cooking it down to the right consistency - no beans!). We will be starting with some brie and an interesting apple/walnut cheese I found and the chili will be served with a green salad (lots of avocado!) and warm corn tortillas. Giant fresh strawberries and chocolate ice cream for dessert! I have a bottle of Robert Mondavi Cab Reserve from 1984 I will decant in a few minutes that is going to be well past its optimal drink-by date but I want to see if there is anything left there....and of course I have two bottles of that great Alexander Valley cab (Technique) as back up although my friends are sure to bring something winey with them.

• Love 2

I made the last of my Blue Apron dinners from last Friday's delivery - oregano chicken with orzo and sugar snap peas. When my husband was spooning out the orzo, he asked me if it was polenta? 🤣🤣🤣 I asked him if he even knew what polenta was? He said, evidently not. I told the Alabama boy polenta is basically grits. He's had orzo before. so??

I got my Blue Apron box today that has a salmon dish with a fresh zucchini/radish salad. The salmon is supposed to have a tamarind-tomato sauce on it. I decided to ditch the salmon recipe and marinate it in olive oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, and dill and grill it. I'll halve the zucchini and grill it also. I will make the rice and add in the Asian style aromatic herb packet. I'll use the radishes on a green salad. No idea what to do with the tamarind paste.

(edited)
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

No idea what to do with the tamarind paste.

Some added to a stew, soup or sauce can add a depth of flavor without tasting of it. 

Went super simple with a classic French omelette and an arugula salad. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Yesterday was steak tips,  “loaded baked potato” salad (bacon, shredded cheddar, scallions with a simple mayo/sour cream dressing) and heirloom tomatoes with olive oil sherry vinegar and chives. I also made a coconut banana cream pie. Today is leftover chicken korma, pakoras and naan from takeout on Friday night. And more pie.

Last night I made a Blue Apron pesto linguine with zucchini and goat cheese. It was very good. The 10 oz. of pasta turned out to be too much for us, so tonight I'm adding some more zucchini and roasted garlic shrimp. This is the first Blue Apron dinner I'll be keeping the recipe card and making it again. I think it would also be good with scallops.

Corn chowder is on deck. I've been sick since Thursday (sinus infection) and I completely lose my appetite. I also start coughing really bad when I eat so while the chowder is good, it's going to take awhile to finish up.

On 7/5/2020 at 3:38 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Yesterday was steak tips,  “loaded baked potato” salad (bacon, shredded cheddar, scallions with a simple mayo/sour cream dressing) and heirloom tomatoes with olive oil sherry vinegar and chives. I also made a coconut banana cream pie. Today is leftover chicken korma, pakoras and naan from takeout on Friday night. And more pie.

That all sounds so delicious! What are "steak tips"? And do you have a personal trainer to mitigate all this wonderful eating or are you one of those super lucky people that can eat whatever? (I'm fast gaining that "Covid 15"! LOL) I just had leftover chili colorado with a huge yellow peach for dessert last evening. Being super lazy, I am taking advantage of my local deli's roast chicken for tonight (the spice rub they use is amazing!).

27 minutes ago, isalicat said:

That all sounds so delicious! What are "steak tips"? And do you have a personal trainer to mitigate all this wonderful eating or are you one of those super lucky people that can eat whatever? (I'm fast gaining that "Covid 15"! LOL) I just had leftover chili colorado with a huge yellow peach for dessert last evening. Being super lazy, I am taking advantage of my local deli's roast chicken for tonight (the spice rub they use is amazing!).

Steak tips are just chunks of beef, often flap steak at my market. They aren’t as lean as stew meat so you don’t have to slow cook them. I’m unfortunately not a person who can eat whatever I want but I really wish I was! Those two days were not typical, for sure. I’ve had cereal for dinner more times than I can count the last few months, despite being home all of the time (dry cereal, mind you, I’m too lazy to pour milk on it).

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I thought I was the only person who ate Cheerios out of the box or in a bowl plain. 

I love Cheerios plain.  It's hard for them not to get too soggy for me and I love crunch.  Sometimes I'll eat them with a glass a milk as a chaser.

• Love 1

I don't eat cereal, so when I was a kid having spent the night at a friend's house where that's what the parents served for breakfast the next day, I always asked for my cereal by itself in a bowl and my milk by itself in a glass.  Floating food in milk sounds thoroughly unappealing to me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Salmon en Papillote with asparagus, spinach and new potatoes. Every time I cook something en Papillote (encased in parchment paper and baked) I think I should do this more often because it’s dead simple, quick and requires minimal clean up and then I forgot to do it for another six months or a year.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I thought I was the only person who ate Cheerios out of the box or in a bowl plain. 

I call it toddler dinner. My preference is Honey Nut Cheerios, but Apple Cinnamon will do. My cat will only eat the Honey Nut, which she loves. I tried a plain Cheerio, but the look she gave me before stalking off was scathing.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

There's a reason why all of my step-grandchildren ate Cheerios, particularly Honey Nut, as one of their first solid foods. My husband eats a large bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios topped with Grape Nuts, topped with a banana, blueberries, and strawberries with skim milk. Every day!

15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

There's a reason why all of my step-grandchildren ate Cheerios, particularly Honey Nut, as one of their first solid foods. My husband eats a large bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios topped with Grape Nuts, topped with a banana, blueberries, and strawberries with skim milk. Every day!

Your husband's breakfast (I presume its breakfast) has all the carbohydrates I eat in a month 🙂

My dad loved Cheerios and Grape Nuts but I never saw him combine the two. I tried Grape Nuts a couple of times but unfortunately they scraped the top of my mouth unmercifully and then I stopped eating any cereal anyways. Now its either scrambled eggs and cheese (I vary types of cheese depending on the day of the week) or fried eggs and bacon for breakfast. Once a week I treat myself to one of those amazing Icelandic yogurts (Siggi's - try it if you like yogurt!).

So tonight I have some prime "Brazilian picanha culotte" steak to make, which I have never purchased before but it was on sale so I thought, why not? I'm just going to grill it failing any other suggestions from the talented cooks hereabouts.

• Love 1

As a thank you gift my bff, knowing I have been missing sushi, got us a surprise delivery from one of my favorite sushi places so got me their omakase bento box and a sake tasting. It was phenomenal!! rolls were trout with candied kumquat; Tuna with morel soy and charred shishito peppers; Yellowtail-yuzu kosho aioli, grilled Tokyo negi. Sashimi were Albacore-Black lime, shallots; Toro-Morel soy, chive, HMB wasabi; and yellowtail with stone fruit, crab with Meyer lemon. Plus, uni over sushi rice and sesame truffle noodles! Feel so stuffed and loved for such a thoughtful gift! 

• Love 3

I had 'dinner for breakfast' (brown rice, grilled chicken filet, sauteed onion, drizzled with soy sauce), and a Lean Cuisine for lunch. I just got in from mowing the yard (95 degrees with very little shade since I had two trees cut), so I had planned on having a nice big green salad (with some cheese cubes in it) for dinner.  But now I'm considering baking up the can of flaky cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting that I have in the fridge and chowing down on those for dinner. Decisions, decisions! 🙂 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1