Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Red lentil soup for lunch. Cheese and tomato omelet, bacon, and whack-a-dough biscuits for dinner.

I'm out of fresh veggies and some fruit. Not looking forward to my next trip to the store. We have face masks on the way made by my stepdaughter from our health care provider Kaiser Permanente's instructions, should arrive on Friday. Meanwhile we've cobbled together some from t-shirts and elastic I found in my mother's sewing basket I've been carting round for over 45 years.

Just now, chessiegal said:

Red lentil soup for lunch. Cheese and tomato omelet, bacon, and whack-a-dough biscuits for dinner.

I'm out of fresh veggies and some fruit. Not looking forward to my next trip to the store. We have face masks on the way made by my stepdaughter from our health care provider Kaiser Permanente's instructions, should arrive on Friday. Meanwhile we've cobbled together some from t-shirts and elastic I found in my mother's sewing basket I've been carting around for over 45 years.

• Love 2

Crispy rice and eggs for our early meal. 
And my boyfriend went to pick up carnitas with all the fixings and margaritas from one of our favorite Mexican places.

Just a reminder if you are trying to support your local restaurants and are capable of safely going out you might want to call the restaurant and ask how they would like you to order because while many 3rd party apps are advertising $0 delivery rates to help the restaurant industry they are still charging the restaurants their standard commission with is between 35-45%. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Best laid plans. Tried to order salads from my local Panera for pick-up. They must have closed because it's no longer available. Plan B - order from a nearby restaurant. When I got online to order, it said online ordering was not available, so they must have closed too.

Plan C - Omaha Steaks apple tartlets with ice cream for dinner.

I've just decided I'm going to make scallops with cucumber and mango salsa tonight, and now I am greatly looking forward to dinner.  It's a rainy day, so I need something to cheer me up.

• Love 1

I have more scallops to use, so I was going to make baked scallops au gratin tonight.  But in trying to decide what the salad and vegetable side would be, I remembered that my friend will be dropping off some artichokes from her garden when she comes to get oranges and firewood tomorrow, and artichoke sounds really good with the scallops.  So I'm going to make pork chops instead (with kale), and do the scallops tomorrow night.

We had the traditional Easter Sunday dinner of chili cheese dogs on toasted wheat buns. 🤣🤣🤣

My grocery store started limiting the number of people in the store, which I appreciate. We were out of everything fresh, so I got up at 5:30 to get there at 6 am when they opened. I told my husband I spent Easter sunrise at the church of food. I came home and had a Bloody Mary. 

• LOL 7

A stay at home feast which was dropped off via appropriate distancing rules to a few nearby friends so that the two of us would not gain 10 lbs in the meal alone: spicy avocado deviled eggs, Ham with a bourbon mustard glaze, cheesy grits (a last minute addition because a care package from South Carolina arrived yesterday filled with stoneground grits), potato kugel, apple sauce because we had to use it up, roasted Brussels Japanese milk rolls, and coconut cream pie! 

We also had various Zoom and FaceTime gatherings including playing board games with my parents and other family so a great day all around. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

Odds and ends pasta salad where I leftovers and bits of veg in the fridge that can’t really be made into a new meal by themselves but can be spread into a dinner by making it into a cold pasta salad. 

My seafood store has asked people to call in what you want before coming to the store. I had the next 4 menus planned around seafood. When I called after noon, no one picked up. I thought, oh no, they've closed. I called an hour later and they answered!

Grilled marinated salmon with mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus for dinner tonight.

• Love 1

I signed up for a CSA box to limit the need to go the store and our first one arrives tomorrow so am further cleaning out our fridge so did a random soup of white beans, carrots, celery, some ham and arugula pesto dumplings, I am quite happy with it. Also, used up the last of our lettuce and tomatoes in a salad.

• Love 1

I ordered a 4 lb. bag of red lentils yesterday, so I made red lentil soup with the last of what I had for lunch. We had enough leftover salmon and potatoes for dinner with steamed asparagus.

I was looking for chicken stock on Amazon today, and there is some serious price gouging going on - over $24 for (3) 32 oz. of Swanson chicken broth. Ridiculous.

Edited by chessiegal

Support our local restaurants night coincided with me feeling like absolute crap (not COVID-19 related) so Detroit combo pizza and Caesar salad from a local brewery so also got a growler of hazy IPA.

• Love 1

We grilled a pork tenderloin. Had mashed potatoes (Bob Evans...I'm getting lazy & relying on his mashed potatoes now), salad, & cooked spinach. Then I hauled out of the pantry one of those small (6"?) chocolate cake mixes from Duncan Hines and made it. I think it's old cause to me the cake wasn't all that great. But it's one less thing in an overstuffed pantry. Going to Wegmans tomorrow (new mask? check! latex gloves? check! Lysol wipes in car? yup!) Sigh. This has already gotten old 😷😟

• Love 1

Just had early Sunday supper: fish and chips (sort of!) I baked those Gorton breaded fillets and also French fries... nice & crispy. Sliced tomatoes, cucumbers & red onions. I'm ready to pick up a dinner at a good, nearby restaurant, though. Has it been a month since the shut down? Feels like 10 years 😷😫

• Love 2

I picked up shrimp tacos, black beans, and rice from a favorite place that is doing curbside pick-up Wed-Sun 3-8 pm. I noticed that our favorite locally owned pizza shop was back open. They had closed for awhile. The governor has mandated face masks for every one shopping.

• Love 1

I made English muffins yesterday from the discard from my starter and so this morning made egg and bacon sandwiches. So yummy. 

Dinner will be a riff on Zuni’s roast chicken with bread salad, homemade country loaf and since we don’t have any arugula using rainbow chard leaves and quick pickled stems. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Tonight I made an artichoke risotto and chicken piccata. I thought it was great, but Mr Chemo was not enthralled. Caution. Don’t ever get isolated with a food snob. 

💖I love chicken piccata💟

I made that last week!  I thought it was excellent.  I threw on some pepperoni, some red pepper flakes, and some chiffonaded basil from a plant we have in the kitchen.  Delicious.  My husband thought the crust was a bit bready.  Which is great, since that made more for me.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I finally found a recipe for meatloaf without ketchup. So we had meatloaf with gravy, creamy mashed Yukon potatoes, and green peas for dinner.

Sounds yummy! I’d have cleaned my plate, had I been there. Meat loaf (with gravy or ketchup), mashed potatoes (Yukon or not, as long as they’re not sweet potatoes or a color other than the usual white-ish) & green peas are 3 of my favorite foods.

• Love 1

Rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, and steamed green beans for dinner tonight.

I went to the grocery store for the 1st time since Easter yesterday at around 2:30 pm.  The stores are limiting the number of people inside, but I only waited about 5 minutes to get in. The aisles are directional, and employees and customers are required to wear masks/coverings over their nose and mouth. I forgot to pick up Bob Evans mashed potatoes, so, much to my husband's delight, I'll be making them from scratch.

• Love 1

I found a recipe for leftover mashed potatoes and made potato cakes (from a blog called mantitlement.com). They were very good, with a salad.  & homemade Oatmeal Orange Crispies for dessert (I found a lot of flour in the pantry so in my boredom I guess I'll be baking).

Today I’m going to make Ina Gartens Italian Wedding soup. I even found a bag of fresh baby spinach to put in it (veggies are one of the harder to get items in my area, so I’m eating a lot of frozen that I loaded up on before the panic). Also have some French bread and butter to go with it. Fingers crossed it comes out well. 

My grocery store has fresh veggies of every variety in quite an abundance. I got green beans, broccoli, and asparagus when I went to the store yesterday.

I've thawed pork chops and beef tenderloins I got from Omaha Steaks. We'll probably grill the pork chops tonight.

• Love 1

I'm going to roast a pork tenderloin tonight, but I'm not sure what the vegetable will be; it's getting to be slim pickings in the crispers and by Monday I'll have to go shopping.  I normally do kale or collard greens with pork, but I don't have any of either left.  Maybe I'll roast Brussels sprouts.  The salad will be pretty basic, again owing to limited ingredients.

But when I do venture out to shop every couple of weeks, I'm thankful it's still very easy to get fresh produce here.  What bread and pasta is available is a crapshoot, and when I pass by the aisles it seems toilet paper and cleaning products are still being stockpiled, but fresh meat and produce aren't remotely picked over.

Right now I'm going to make breakfast (yes, at 1:30 in the afternoon) - an egg white scramble with bacon, asparagus, spinach, and jack cheese.

Ordered takeout from a yummy Mexican place so a huge feast of carnitas and since I am trying to not use 3rd party apps used their newly poorly designed takeout website and accidentally ordered twice the amount of margaritas I intended, oh well what is a weekday hangover anymore!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I made chicken noodle soup for lunch with the rest of my rotisserie chicken. Tonight will be grilled steaks (from Omaha Steaks), baked potatoes, and steamed broccoli.

I got my second order from Omaha Steaks today. My husband took it to the garage to put in the fridge's freezer. He came back in and said the freezer was totally full. Time to stop buying. 😉

14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Made a spicy meatloaf with some leftover sausage and ground beef, roasted asparagus and mashed potatoes.

I love meatloaf. I've used sausage before but usually just ground pork. Is the spicy just the sausage or do you add something else like green chilies? I use poblano peppers sometimes. I'm a wimp when it comes to heat.

Edited to add, I made some curried rice and was not a fan. I usually love curry, but not that recipe. Used basmati rice and it was a bit too sweet.

Edited by nokat

I got take out today from our locally owned neighborhood place. Tortilla chips with guac, salsa, and queso, Maryland crab soup, margaritas, and a special they call a California salad - blackened shrimp, avocado, strawberries, pineapple, feta, and walnuts over mixed greens.

9 hours ago, nokat said:

I love meatloaf. I've used sausage before but usually just ground pork. Is the spicy just the sausage or do you add something else like green chilies? I use poblano peppers sometimes. I'm a wimp when it comes to heat.

In this case it was spicy sausage, jalapeños and a Sriracha glaze. 

Pan roasted chicken thighs with grapes and a vermouth sauce over polenta with Brussels sprouts in the side.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1