Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Meal one was gnocchi with marinara and parm.

Meal two was inspired by an episode of Somebody Please Feed Phil and was BLATs on scallion cheddar biscuits and an arugula salad. 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Meal one was gnocchi with marinara and parm.

Meal two was inspired by an episode of Somebody Please Feed Phil and was BLATs on scallion cheddar biscuits and an arugula salad. 

Thanks for reminding me Someone Feed Phil dropped yesterday - I forgot!

• Love 1

I'm going to make spinach and ricotta gnudi with sage butter sauce tonight.  Martha Stewart made it on her show yesterday, and I thought, "I haven't made that in ages!  And I have all the ingredients."  But I already had my mouth set on the tacos I'd planned to make, and stuck with that for last night's dinner.  (Ground beef tacos the way my mom makes them, which is the only way I'll eat ground beef tacos [and those tacos joining burgers as the only way I'll eat ground beef; I'm not generally a fan].)

So tonight will be the gnudi (not Martha's recipe, as it's very similar to what I normally make, so I'll just stick with my usual), sautéed mushrooms, and a Caesar salad.  The salad selection was made because I'm kind of craving garlic bread with the gnudi, but don't have any bread, yet I do still have some croutons (which are garlic-y) from when I last made them.

After Bloody Marys (my Sunday morning tradition), I just finished my go-to breakfast of egg white scramble (this one with chicken, spinach & feta sausage, asparagus, spinach, and some more feta cheese).   Now I need to pull some weeds, but I just want to hang out on the patio reading.  We'll see what happens.

• Love 1

I baked dumplings tonight.  Basically, I reheated frozen shiitake, spinach and pine nut dumplings in the oven with butter chicken sauce (for some) and balsamic vinegar and onions for others.  Totally went fusion (also had chickpeas, kale and rice)...haha

• Love 1

I made fresh spring rolls (also called summer rolls, at least where I live) with shrimp and peanut sauce. The first batch I make every summer is not aesthetically pleasing - it takes me a batch (or two) to get my rolling down pat. I had one well-rolled roll and 7 rather sloppy ones. 

• Love 2

I got so caught up in talking with friends and watching news analysis that, boom, it was suddenly a couple hours after dinner prep and I found myself with no delivery options and limited cooking options.  Thankfully, I had everything I needed to make one of my favorite dishes - chicken, mushroom, and scallions sautéed with ginger and garlic, then simmered with rice vinegar, tamari, and cilantro.  Served over cauliflower "rice" this time because I had nothing else.  And there's enough of both left over for a second serving (especially with the salad I skipped tonight).

• Love 1

I tried a new recipe for onion and mushroom galettes. For the last 10 minutes you add an egg to the top. It was good. I need to do a few tweaks (more thyme, add parsley and more gruyere cheese), but I will make them again.  

• Love 2

Last night I made a paella-style chicken and rice dish from a recipe I tore out of People magazine about 9 years ago...I'm a little behind in sorting and filing my recipe clippings 😉  It was by (of all people), Mario Lopez, of Saved by the Bell fame, and it. was. bangin'!!  Chicken, andouille sausage, onion, garlic, rice, saffron, peas, and green pepper (original recipe calls for red, but they make me sick).  I do not eat any seafood, but you for sure could put shrimp and/or little clams in, if that is your jam.  I think I may have had naughty dreams about that dish last night...so delicious!

Last night I made a Blue Apron dinner that was to have tofu in it. I swapped out chicken for the tofu, and it had snap peas and bok choy with a tasty sauce served over brown rice.

When I contacted Blue Apron and asked that they never send a tofu meal again, they comped me the dinner. I've been happy with their customer service. Now I have 14 oz. of firm tofu I don't know what to do with. I'll probably just toss it out.

45 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Now I have 14 oz. of firm tofu I don't know what to do with. I'll probably just toss it out.

I, too, would tell Blue Apron to never let tofu darken my doorstep again.  But most people I know like it.  If you're on Nextdoor or a Facebook group for your neighborhood, you could offer it there. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

I, too, would tell Blue Apron to never let tofu darken my doorstep again.  But most people I know like it.  If you're on Nextdoor or a Facebook group for your neighborhood, you could offer it there. 

We live in a small subdivision of about 40 houses. I put up an offer for free tofu on our FB page. It's had 21 views (which is close to all the folks on it)I with no takers. Which makes me wonder what Blue Apron was thinking including a tofu based meal.

16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

This weeks takeout option was a big Ethiopian feast of lamb tibs, kitfo, misir wot, gomen, azifa, Kik alicha, sambussas and tons of injera. 

You enjoy so many diverse foods. I don’t even know what some of them are, but if you like them then I’m sure that they are good. Where did you learn about all these different foods? 

What a great thread!

So I have this fecund Myers Lemon Tree and have taken to leaving anonymous bags of lemons on my neighbors' doorstops as how many lemons can you use really? (no, I don't drink lemonade or this might not be a problem, clearly) So my next door neighbor cornered me a couple of days ago and thanked me for the lemons (having looked over the fence and spotted the lemon tree) and offered up some freshly grown thyme from his yard (which then gave me an excuse to get him to take some of the insane amount of rosemary I have going in my yard).

Anyways this turned into the most delicious turkey burgers the night before last: ground turkey, an egg, some plain breadcrumbs, garlic powder, freshly ground black pepper, chopped red onion and that new thyme that I carefully stripped from the stalk. Fried in butter and olive oil on my grill pan. Topped with thin slices of melted jarlsberg cheese. Accompanied by a nice pinot grigio and then locally grown tangerines.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

You enjoy so many diverse foods. I don’t even know what some of them are, but if you like them then I’m sure that they are good. Where did you learn about all these different foods? 

I have been super fortunate to travel from a lot and from a young age so a lot of it is through that. My parents are super into food so probably put in as much or more effort into finding places to eat in a place than things to see and do, so I have always been into trying new foods. 

On a less adventurous note I had my first IN-N-Out Burger since lockdown (the one in SF doesn’t have a drive thru so it just reopened a few days ago. So lunch was as an animal style cheese burger and well done fries.

Dinner was homemade spinach ravioli and kale salad. 

• Love 1
On 6/4/2020 at 9:23 PM, biakbiak said:

This weeks takeout option was a big Ethiopian feast of lamb tibs, kitfo, misir wot, gomen, azifa, Kik alicha, sambussas and tons of injera. 

So jealous. Ethiopian is one of my favorite cuisines and I don’t get it much! Closest restaurant is about 2 hours away.

(edited)

This is why I love this thread:  Mention of Ethiopian food lit a spark under my I don't know what I want to make ennui last night, in time for me to make Doro Wat.  The side was collard greens also seasoned with berbere, and the salad was made to coordinate as best I could based on what I had on hand: mixed greens with red pepper and cucumber and a white wine vinaigrette with ginger, garlic, and jalapeño.

Tonight I'm going to order in from my favorite local Vietnamese restaurant; right now, I'm leaning towards goi cuon, pork bun, and seafood pho, but we'll see what I'm craving when the time comes.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

We ordered brunch from a restaurant my husband really loves (because their homefries are drenched in a barbecue-y sauce), but never goes to because it's next to impossible to get a table for brunch (unless you're willing to wait for an hour.  They don't take reservations for weekend brunch).  They're delivering during the current COVID situation.  He had a lorraine benedict (think eggs benny with quiche lorraine ingredients) while I had an amped up Florentine (i.e. it also had avocado, tomato and brie).  For dinner, I heated up vegetarian enchiladas I bought earlier from a restaurant/market (so many restaurants are turning into pantry/grocery/meal kit shops during the pandemic) and vegetables.  We're STUFFED (those enchiladas were mostly carbs, with pinto beans, sweet potatoes and corn...at least there's protein in beans?)!!!!

• Love 3

Just had to come here to say: I actually had dinner *out* (as in sit down in a nice restaurant and served food!) for the first time in four months! It was sorta by accident - my friend and I had gone to a local Mexican food restaurant and found them closed so we kept driving and I saw that this very good Italian restaurant seemed to be open and lo! they had re-aligned the interior for social distancing, all the staff were wearing masks and gloves and it was wonderful! I had linquini with clams in a white wine sauce with a glass of Italian pinot grigio (delicious) but it felt like the most special meal....I will never take restaurant service for granted again! (or restaurant workers! yes, I left a very large tip!)

• Love 4
(edited)

Today is Mexican night. We are having chicken cutlets and baking it with salsa and seasonings. Then having with guacamole and rice.

Edited by blueray

My boyfriend was craving deep dish and our normal place is not open on Monday so I made one with hot Italian sausage, mushrooms, and olives. Plus an arugula salad so there would be a green in the vicinity.

20 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

Corn. I had corn.

I commend you for this life choice.  I had a large lunch and there is fresh corn in the fridge, so I may follow suit for tonight's dinner!

Last evening, I had grilled marinated skirt steak (I'm too lazy to make my own marinade and find that Paul Newman's Olive Oil Italian dressing works well as a marinade so that is what I used), mixed green salad and a big juicy yellow peach.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, isalicat said:

(I'm too lazy to make my own marinade and find that Paul Newman's Olive Oil Italian dressing works well as a marinade so that is what I used)

I hear you.  I used Bernstein's Italian dressing & marinade to marinate tri-tip - something my mom has been doing for years, either that or Basque marinade; she has delicious homemade marinades for other things, but somehow for tri-tip it became one of those two bottles - and am getting ready to grill that tonight.  That's not how I typically roll with a marinade, but I eat tri-tip maybe once a year (I'm not a huge beef fan), so I'm fine with the ingredients under those circumstances.

The side will be steamed artichoke with garlic-wine dip, and the salad a basic mixed greens with feta cheese, walnuts, and balsamic vinaigrette as the fridge is getting pretty bare (buying groceries is the only time I go out in public during the pandemic, and I limit that to once every 2-3 weeks).

I'd cut the roast in half when I bought it a couple of days ago, and put the other half in the freezer; just this half will give me meat to use sporadically in various ways for a week.  Well worth the cost, since I got it on sale.

• Love 2

I just put a pot of rice on the stove to go with my 'multi-day' chicken gumbo.  (I took a hen out of the freezer a few days ago and put it in the fridge to thaw. I need to boil it and turn it into gumbo, but my A/C quit on me so the last thing I wanted to do was sit at a hot stove making roux. So I went ahead and cooked the chicken, took the meat off the bones and put the meat in the broth. It went back in the fridge and now -- 2 days later with my A/C (hopefully) fixed -- I just made some roux to finish it up).  I just snacked today so dinner will be at least two bowls of gumbo and rice. 

• Love 1

Last night I took the hamburger and shitake mushrooms from the Blue Apron kit that was supposed to be a shitake mushroom hamburger and made Salisbury steaks with a mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli (also came with the kit).

One of my favourite brunch places recently re-added ricotta toast to their menu.  It's two pieces of challah LOADED with ricotta, berry  compote and chopped hazelnuts.  SOOOOOO GOOD and so glad they deliver.  I shared that along with avocado toast (on sourdough) with my husband at brunch today.  Tonight?  I'm lazy again and will be heating up some prepped meals that are about to expire in the next couple of days, just to clear the fridge and freezer.  Haha...

• Love 1

Clean out the fridge and veg bin so I made a chicken salad with bacon, celery and walnuts on some leftover homemade buns and a potato salad with red pepper, red onions, and eggs and a spicy dressing. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I had to drop something off at the house of a friend who lives near a Middle Eastern restaurant I have missed eating in, so I called in an order to pick up (curbside; they put it in your trunk) on my way home tonight.  I got lebni, tabouli (never tell my mom this, but this restaurant makes it even slightly better than the one I grew up with), and two kabob skewers - one chicken koobideh and one lamb - that come with pickled vegetables and a Persian salad.  (Yes, that side salad made the tabouli order rather unnecessary.  But it's delicious and a big serving, so I can eat it for several days.)

As soon as the butter is properly softened, I'm going to make peanut butter cookies from my paternal grandma's recipe; my dad's birthday is tomorrow, and I'll be going to my parents' house for the first time in three months (implementing all sorts of pandemic-necessitated precautions, creating a rather odd dinner, but my parents really want to see me) - because I do not go out other than to buy groceries, I have no present for him other than a bottle of bourbon, so I'm adding a batch of the cookies he used to occasionally be allowed to skip school to stay home and help bake.

Oddly, I love the batter, but don't care for the finished result.  So some "quality control" tastes of the batter will be my dessert, but I don't have to worry about stealing any cookies.

Edited to say, holy crap, is it weird to gear up to make food for my own family.  We pay no attention at all to germs in normal life (which means we have healthy immune systems), but now, just in case, I have to take precautions on the off chance I'm unknowingly infected with a virus that could kill my parents (or me, but more likely them).  I didn't bother during the pre-baking parts, since the oven heat would kill anything dangerous, but removing from the oven, cooling, packaging -- what an odd experience. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
(edited)

I am in serious need of grocery shopping, which I'll do tomorrow, so I've ordered in tonight, going basic, from my favorite pizza place*.  On the way is a caesar salad, some garlic lemon pepper chicken wings, and a wheat thin crust pizza with white sauce, grilled chicken, mozarella, and roasted red peppers, topped with mixed greens, sliced avocado, and a drizzle of chipotle sauce.

This way I'll have leftovers to eat tomorrow before I go to the market; had I cobbled something together for dinner, I'd be left eating something like olives and cheese for breakfast/lunch tomorrow and then I'd buy ridiculous stuff while shopping with a hungry stomach.

*Well, my favorite pizza place for the pizza; they actually know how to make a proper thin crust.  But their salad offerings are limited, and their appetizers just good, so I have a couple of other places I sometimes order from instead where the pizza isn't quite as great but the overall meal is just a bit better.  Tonight I'm all about the pizza.

Edited by Bastet