Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I made a Blue Apron dinner - Tahini-Balsamic Chicken Bowls. It was barley with roasted fennel and red onions with a tahini-balsamic dressing, served with an arugula and pear salad. and seasoned chicken tenders. Their recipes are rather labor intensive, but the end result is good. And what else do I have to do right now.

Dinner was a favorite Hawaiian restaurant so poke, spam masubi, a “plate lunch” of chicken katsu. Plus, a pitcher of mai-tais because it’s the biggest profit for the restaurant or rather that’s the excuse I went with tonight!

• Love 2

I saw an ad for a gadget that makes hard boiled eggs in the microwave by steaming them. The reviews were split between best thing ever and this is worthless crap that doesn't work. I remembered Alton Brown made hard boiled eggs using a steamer insert in a saucepan. I looked it up, and made hard boiled eggs - 12 minutes in the steam, 5 minutes in an ice bath. Best and easiest eggs ever - shells just slipped right off. Deviled eggs for lunch. I picked up a mushroom and sausage pizza and side salads from our mom and pop store for dinner.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Going through the freezer so we can fill it up again lunch was a bunch of homemade shrimp and pork dumplings. 

Dinner was steak with leftover chimichurri, grilled asparagus and roasted potatoes. 

Chimichurri here tonight, too.  I'm roasting a pork loin stuffed with artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, and spinach, and made chimichurri earlier to go with it.  (It's a "loosely inspired by, using what I have" version of something I saw on an episode of Milk Street today.)  The salad will be spinach with mushrooms and bacon, and roasted Brussels sprouts will be the side dish.

Breakfast/lunch was an egg white scramble I make all the time, with bacon, asparagus, spinach, and cheese (gruyere this time).  I normally make it with two slices of bacon, but I had three left in the package.  Instead of just using more, or eating the third slice on its own, I used 1-1/2 slices, so I can get another scramble out of what's left.  I was quite impressed with my bacon restraint. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Chimichurri here tonight, too.  I'm roasting a pork loin stuffed with artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, and spinach, and made chimichurri earlier to go with it.  (It's a "loosely inspired by, using what I have" version of something I saw on an episode of Milk Street today.)  T

Was it the Argentinian  stuffed pork loin? I made that earlier this week and that’s what my chimichurri is leftover from!

55 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Was it the Argentinian  stuffed pork loin?

Yep!  That episode aired here today, and some ingredients I didn't have and some I didn't like, but I had enough to build on the general idea for the pork loin and I love chimichurri on just about anything.  It came out nicely, and I always want a sauce with reheated pork, so I'm looking forward to leftovers, too.

22 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Going through the freezer so we can fill it up again lunch was a bunch of homemade shrimp and pork dumplings. 

Hah!  Sounds like me. My freezer is packed to the gills but after going to the supermarket a few times and seeing no meats or no this or that--I just have this urge to stock up on stuff. And there are frozen things like tilapia and salmon fillets way back in there that need to be used now.  I'm just afraid that we'll go through another major shutdown again and the supermarkets will be out of stuff.  You'd think I'd gone through The Great Depression and WWII the way I'm thinking 😷🙄

• Love 5
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

You'd think I'd gone through The Great Depression and WWII the way I'm thinking 

Me too! In a way we are. I find I'm saving aluminum foil that can be reused. My freezers are full, so I'm not buying fresh at the store. I need to start using Omaha Steaks food in the freezer.

• Love 1
(edited)

In surveying my refrigerator contents, I've decided that tonight I'll make what is probably the healthiest dish in my repertoire: chicken breasts poached (in water flavored with garlic, lemon zest, and herbs) with leeks and topped with a salsa verde (basil, mint, cilantro, garlic, lime, jalapeño, and a little olive oil).  Artichoke as the side dish.  Either a slaw or spinach salad.

Or, when the time comes, maybe I'll decide to order pizza; I get the sense laziness may come upon me.  We'll see.

For lunch, I had sausage and kale soup.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Bon Appétit has a show in its YouTube channel called Gourmet Makes were they make snacks and candy from scratch so today I made hot pockets some worn pimento cheese and ham and the other with salami and mozzarella and had those with a big salad.

• Useful 1

Blue Apron dinner - Smokey Chicken & Creamy Cilantro Sauce over Spicy Carrots and Farro It was good. One thing I'm liking about these meals is that they have us eating things I would never try, like farro..

• Love 1
(edited)

For lunch I had leftover dough so made ham and pimento cheese pinwheels and had that with a small salad.

Dinner we got takeout from a lovely Malaysian place so tamarind duck curry, Fried chicken with coconut rice and fermented pineapple and tea leaf salad. So yummy.

Dessert was a chocolate cake made with sourdough starter discard. 

Edited by biakbiak

I made chicken noodle soup for lunch with leftover chicken from a rotisserie chicken I bought this week for lunch. I was looking at a Tyler Florence recipe where he adds a bay leaf, so I tried it. It definitely made a subtle difference for the better.

I need to use up some mushrooms, so am making a cheese and mushroom omelet for dinne3r.

On 5/23/2020 at 8:34 PM, biakbiak said:

“Grandma” style pizza with pepperoni and mushrooms, plus a Caesar salad because I had an egg yolk I needed to use.

What's "grandma" style pizza?

Breakfast today was a fairly standard meal:  thawed out berries with yogurt and kefir plus a homemade apple and oat bran square.  

Lunch:  steamed kale and salmon

Dinner tonight will either be pasta or quinoa with a chickpea and lentil sauce (with other vegetables).

I don't think my husband will be too amused at the dinner.  And thank goodness my parents aren't here.  They'd criticize it and say it isn't "complete" enough.  I think they (especially my dad) feel the food I cook sends the wrong message to my son and that I'm also losing touch with my heritage.

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

inner tonight will either be pasta or quinoa with a chickpea and lentil sauce (with other vegetables).

I don't think my husband will be too amused at the dinner.  And thank goodness my parents aren't here.  They'd criticize it and say it isn't "complete" enough.  I think they (especially my dad) feel the food I cook sends the wrong message to my son and that I'm also losing touch with my heritage.

Sounds complete to me. Chickpeas and lentils with other veggies, especially over quinoa, a good source of protein, is very healthy..

5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Sounds complete to me. Chickpeas and lentils with other veggies, especially over quinoa, a good source of protein, is very healthy..

Exactly.  My guess is my parents don't understand plant-based proteins very much (other than tofu).  Cultural (and generational).

Anyone else having trouble finding distilled vinegar? I use it to make cucumber salad with onion and dill. I bought some white wine vinegar last week as they had no white vinegar. Guess I'll have to taste it to see if it's a good substitute.

35 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Anyone else having trouble finding distilled vinegar? I use it to make cucumber salad with onion and dill. I bought some white wine vinegar last week as they had no white vinegar. Guess I'll have to taste it to see if it's a good substitute.

I haven’t had trouble finding it but I usually use apple cider vinegar because it has more of a “punch” than white wine vinegar and I like that. 

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Cucumber and onion salad is my favorite. I think I will make some tomorrow!

I have two versions: one is Swedish & one is Thai (that's the one with the peanuts tossed on before serving).

Today has been a bit of a weird day, and I'm not sure why; yeah, I'd normally have enjoyed burgers and onion rings at my parents' house, and I missed doing that (and, holy crap, I miss their cats so much), but I couldn't see them for frakkin' Mother's Day, so Memorial Day isn't a big deal.  There's just something "blah" about me today.  So I definitely do not want to cook.  I had several options in mind, but just wasn't in the mood to lift a finger.  So I just ordered Thai - chicken satay, a cucumber and cilantro salad with chili lime dressing, and shrimp panang.

For lunch I reheated some leftover roasted Brussels sprouts (I don't know how I couldn't finish them last night, since I make the same amount all the time, but I'm glad I couldn't because - again with the blah mood all day - it was really the only thing I had that didn't require any effort). 

At least I'm finally getting hungry, and I'm sure the flavors will perk me up.

Had plenty of time so made spinach risotto as the primi, then chicken piccata and strawberry shortcake for dessert. The shortcakes were homemade and instead of cutting the berries up and adding some sugar, lemon and liquor (either raspberry or limoncello) we roasted the berries. I was surprised at how sweet they were without sugar and how much nectar they made. I’ll repeat that again next time. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Tonight will be grilled boneless pork chops (from Omaha Steaks), baked potato, and green beans.

Blue Apron asked me to rate recent meals they sent. While on the web site I noticed one meal they shipped to arrive Friday was a tofu stir fry. I HATE tofu. I got on their customer service chat and told them to never send me any meal with tofu in it again. They came back and are crediting my account for that meal. I was satisfied with that.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Tonight will be grilled boneless pork chops (from Omaha Steaks), baked potato, and green beans.

Your dinners always sound so good😊  I've wanted a pork chop for a while now.  I have a lot of good food to make but I'm out of pork chops.

Last night was a grilled pork chop, homemade creamed spinach and a baked potato. Tonight I was lazy and had leftover sauce with meatballs. For some reason I’m just not hungry for anything in particular. Nothing sounds good. My taste buds (and sense of smell) are fine. 

• Love 1

Tonight is Blue Apron seared chicken with goat cheese sauce, mashed potatoes, and a sautéed carrot side that has raisons, with honey and balsamic vinegar. I'm on the fence about sauteeing the chicken, coated in a spice mix vs. grilling the chicken. They claim the fond from the chicken will help flavor the carrots, but that means I'll have to keep the chicken warm for the 10 minutes minimum to cook the carrots.