Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

On 4/24/2020 at 9:07 PM, biakbiak said:

Made a spicy meatloaf with some leftover sausage and ground beef, roasted asparagus and mashed potatoes.

This interests me--a little spicy sausage mixed in with ground beef. I'm going to do this next time I make meatloaf. 

• Love 1

Our farm box delivery got moved to tomorrow so it’s clean out the veg bin quiche (asparagus, mushroom and goat cheese) and a big salad with carrots, cucumbers and radishes and a carrot top pesto vinaigrette.

• Love 2

I'm slow roasting a pork shoulder, so I'll have pulled pork to make various things out of throughout the week.  Tonight it will go in quesadillas with a pineapple-avocado salsa.

• Love 2

We had grilled pork chops, Spanish Roasted Potato Salad with my own aioli, and sliced cucumbers, radishes & red onions w/ a Greek vinaigrette. My sister keeps telling me to use Schwans or Fresh Chef. But if I do that, I'd have no excuse to visit my grocery store once a week (wearing mask & gloves, with antiseptic wipes in the car) 😷😁 

Edited by annzeepark914
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm slow roasting a pork shoulder, so I'll have pulled pork to make various things out of throughout the week.  Tonight it will go in quesadillas with a pineapple-avocado salsa.

I love a slow roasted shoulder. I do high heat to get the fat sizzling, then drop the temperature down. So tasty. Will have to search for the salsa recipe.

Meal one was open faced sandwiches with whipped goat cheese with lemon and green garlic on homemade sourdough and topped with smoked salmon.

Dinner was shrimp scampi with fettuccine and salad with green garlic vinaigrette.

On 4/24/2020 at 11:30 PM, ethalfrida said:

And I will have to try the carrots. Recipe or link you recommend?

I want to say Popsugar.com is where is saw it at. apparently you make hot dogs out of carrots, never knew that also

Working on getting into the Omaha Steaks stash in the freezer - grilled cheeseburgers.

And why is there no tonic water in the grocery store? We're not going through a malaria pandemic. Amazon is doing some serious price gouging on tonic water - over $5 for a 32 oz. bottle that retails for $1.79 in the store. 

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

And why is there no tonic water in the grocery store? We're not going through a malaria pandemic. Amazon is doing some serious price gouging on tonic water - over $5 for a 32 oz. bottle that retails for $1.79 in the store. 

You joke but because hydroxychloroquine is a malaria drug people were also lumping tonic into possible cures. A few tonic manufacturers even issued statements saying the amount of quinine in today’s tonic was minimal and wouldn’t be effective treating anything. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

You joke but because hydroxychloroquine is a malaria drug people were also lumping tonic into possible cures. A few tonic manufacturers even issued statements saying the amount of quinine in today’s tonic was minimal and wouldn’t be effective treating anything. 

As a scientist, that kind of nuttiness makes me SMH. Liquor stores and mom and pop convenience stores near me have plenty of tonic water. Just means an extra stop. As long as I'm already suited up, it probably shouldn't annoy me, but I find I'm cranky these days.

• Love 2
On 4/28/2020 at 8:35 AM, Nicmar said:

I want to say Popsugar.com is where is saw it at. apparently you make hot dogs out of carrots, never knew that also

I had no idea these alternatives existed. Although not vegan or vegetarian, I really enjoy both those food options. Then you!!!!

We did pick up from a Lebanese restaurant and for lunch  and ordered sort of a lamb dip sandwich and because I have been craving onion rings for a few makes I made a batch with a blue cheese dressing.

Lunch was so filling that dinner was some savory pastries (lamb and pomegranate, spinach and onion, and cheese that I ordered from the same restaurant with a small salad and baklava for dessert.

Fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, cole slaw, and a biscuit with hot honey, all from a local restaurant that is now doing takeout and delivery. It was delicious, and so nice to eat food prepared by someone else (for the first time in 2 months).

• Love 2
On 4/27/2020 at 7:46 AM, nokat said:

I love a slow roasted shoulder. I do high heat to get the fat sizzling, then drop the temperature down. So tasty.

I actually don't particularly care for it.  I like everything - meat, vegetables, pasta - cooked only just as much as it needs to be.  So a pork shoulder, which cannot just be cooked to 145 degrees because it would be tough and thus has to be cooked to a very high internal temperature to be good, is not my preferred cut of meat.  It's fine, but I'm not excited by it. 

But I had it in the freezer (one of many gifts from a neighbor when she used to divide her time between here [Los Angeles] and her Missouri farm), and figured it was about time to go ahead and cook it, especially since I could get so many meals out of it and I wanted to put off a grocery store run as long as possible.  I finished it off last night, and I had roasted a chicken for the week, too, so I wasn't always eating pork. 

I finally got groceries yesterday, so it's nice to again be able to make meals out of whatever ingredients I want rather than being limited to what's on hand.  (Well, except for my salads - I forgot lettuce, so it'll be spinach, kale, or cabbage based salads for a while.) 

But tonight I'm going to order Thai food.  I haven't decided which restaurant yet or what dishes I'm going to order, but I've decided I'm in a Thai mood.  (I pick one local restaurant a week to order delivery from to help keep them in business, and I generally do it on Saturday nights since almost all of them have cut their hours during the week and I like to eat late.)

For meal one I took the leftover broth from last nights matzo ball soup, simmered it with some ginger, garlic, scallions and soy for about a half an hour than strained and dropped in some homemade wontons from the freezer and some spinach.

Tonight is a pork and asparagus stir fry with rice and chili crisp. 

Thanks to a break in rainy days (yay! Thunderbirds & Blue Angels flew over our 'hood) we grilled burgers and brats, had potato salad and a tossed salad.  Rain returns tomorrow but it's so green here that I feel we're competitive with Ireland right now 😷😉

• Love 1
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Thanks to a break in rainy days (yay! Thunderbirds & Blue Angels flew over our 'hood) we grilled burgers and brats, had potato salad and a tossed salad.  Rain returns tomorrow but it's so green here that I feel we're competitive with Ireland right now 😷😉

Us too with the Blue Angels nd Thunderbirds! And we had grilled hamburgers after the deluge that flooded Dock Street in Annapolis yesterday, not that it mattered, since everyone (almost) is staying home. We live on an inlet off the South River, and have seen power boaters defying the governor's ban on recreational boating. As sailors, we don't get the disregard for the ban. Yes, we'd like to be out on the water, but the safety of others is more important.

• Love 3
(edited)

I took the leftover chicken and vegetables that I had strained from my matzo ball soup to make wonton soup and made chicken “pot” hand pies with a big salad. It was so tasty and there were enough to freeze for snacks later. 
I also made a crumb cake with my starter discard. 

Edited by biakbiak

That looks delicious! 
I made a bunch of dumplings this morning for freezing so had several for lunch when I finished. 

Dinner is salmon cakes, parsleyed potatoes, and roasted asparagus.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Anela said:

A huge bowl of mashed potatoes

I hear you, sister. I had a crown fall out the other day, with no hope of going to the dentist. So the first thing I did was make a batch of mashed potatoes. Sometimes nothing else will do.

Fortunately, the empty spot is in the back, so I don't look like a hobo when I smile, but still . . .

• Love 2

Mr P914 picked up two dinners at Coastal Flats, one of a local chain of wonderful restaurants in our area. I had my favorite: Crispy Shrimp with Two Noodles (along w/ Prosecco). Then we had a store-bought birthday cake for my self-isolation era birthday. I got 2" roots and I cut some layers in my hair, so I'm glad I wasn't out at a restaurant--I look like a grown up nerd or dork or whatever kids call a goofy lookin' person these days.  I am it!!! 😷😏

• Love 3

A southern feast from a neighborhood restaurant so fried chicken, Mac and cheese, collards with pork, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn and biscuits with hot pepper jelly. 
Because that wasn’t enough dessert was double chocolate macaroons made with egg whites leftover from making pasta.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

A southern feast from a neighborhood restaurant so fried chicken, Mac and cheese, collards with pork, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn and biscuits with hot pepper jelly. 
Because that wasn’t enough dessert was double chocolate macaroons made with egg whites leftover from making pasta.

Where are you finding flour? My last trip to the grocery store on Tuesday had some cake flour and a few boxes of cake mix, but no regular flour.

3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Where are you finding flour? My last trip to the grocery store on Tuesday had some cake flour and a few boxes of cake mix, but no regular flour.

We have been lucky because we bought 20 lbs at Costco in January to replace all we used at the holidays and than we were getting low when my boyfriend did a Costco run last week and got  25 lbs so we have never been low of flour or yeast. 

I restarted my Blue Apron subscription which I only used once on a trial several years ago. My first box arrived today - 3 meals for 2. Tonight will be roasted salmon with a panko crust, and roasted snap peas and cubed sweet potatoes with some kind of dressing on them. I don't like sweet potatoes, but I'll give them a try. Maybe the dressing will make them palatable.

• Love 1

I got take out from our favorite watering hole. A salad they call California, blackened shrimp, pineapple, strawberries, grape tomatoes, feta, avocado on baby spinach. Also got an order of margaritas.  I'm amazed restaurants can sell alcohol to go because Maryland has some wacky liquor laws, as do many states. I'm glad they can, that's a big part of their profit.

• Love 1

I had some leftover meat mixture from my cabbage rolls so added some bell peppers, onions and a few other spices and made empanadas (dough made from schmaltz instead of lard) with an avocado sauce. Didn’t have any Escabeche so used some homemade giardiniera and cooked it with some rainbow chard. 
One of the very few upsides of our current circumstances is it’s sort of fun to experiment and improvise new recipes. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I got take out from our favorite watering hole. A salad they call California, blackened shrimp, pineapple, strawberries, grape tomatoes, feta, avocado on baby spinach. Also got an order of margaritas.  I'm amazed restaurants can sell alcohol to go because Maryland has some wacky liquor laws, as do many states. I'm glad they can, that's a big part of their profit.

Regarding the bolded: Where I am in Indiana, I think they’re running commercials for a restaurant where you can get Margaritas for carry out with your food—only you provide the booze.

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

A salad they call California, blackened shrimp, pineapple, strawberries, grape tomatoes, feta, avocado on baby spinach.

As long as it's not too sweet, that sounds delicious!  What kind of dressing?  I have all those ingredients, so I may put something like that together for lunch tomorrow. 

(It always amuses me when I see something, especially burgers, with avocado and pineapple called "California [Whatever]" in other states, and then here in CA, it'll sometimes be listed as a "[Maui] Whatever".)

Tonight I have a pork chop brining, and will have that with a side salad (kale based), roasted Brussels sprouts, and Kraft mac & cheese.  I'm a little sad not to be able to have dinner with my mom (we usually spend Mother's Day together most of the day, culminating with me making dinner at my parents' house), so I'm consoling myself with my beloved neon orange chemical packet.

18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I got take out from our favorite watering hole. A salad they call California, blackened shrimp, pineapple, strawberries, grape tomatoes, feta, avocado on baby spinach. Also got an order of margaritas.  I'm amazed restaurants can sell alcohol to go because Maryland has some wacky liquor laws, as do many states. I'm glad they can, that's a big part of their profit.

They are selling Margaritas where I am  to go also.

13 hours ago, chessiegal said:

@Bastet I think the dressing was Ranch.

I made it for lunch today with green goddess dressing.  I was going to make a lemon vinaigrette, but then your post had me thinking creamy instead, so I went with green goddess (I already had some made).  So thanks for the inspiration; it was a simple, tasty dish I didn't have in mind until you mentioned your meal.

And it was nice to make a little larger lunch than normal, because it allows me to make a halved serving of fettucini alfredo tonight -- I somehow made a bit too much alfredo sauce several days ago, so I'll use it over some whole wheat pasta with chicken and broccoli.