Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Poached salmon fillet, brown rice, and sauteed dandelion greens. This was my first time trying to poach fish and it's definitely the easiest way to cook fish, although it did fall apart a bit in the poaching liquid. I didn't have a lot of stuff on hand so I just poached it in water with black pepper, dill, cayenne pepper, and ginger. I sauteed the dandelion greens with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, red pepper flakes, black pepper, dill, thyme, ginger, and turmeric. Then I had some tomato and green pepper on the side. And for dessert I will have Endangered Species hazelnut toffee dark chocolate.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Giselle said:

Tonight is crispy skin chicken thighs, turnip mash, cooked to death collards, corn bread.

Do try this chicken. My husband loves it especially with Italian herbs and garlic. The skin is shattering crisp. Use a spatter screen!

https://www.stupideasypaleo.com/2016/04/03/cast-iron-skillet-chicken-thighs-recipe/

That's so funny, Giselle:  cooked to death collards.  Are you from the south?  That's how they cook green beans and I love them that way (my family thinks I'm strange but I prefer my green beans southern style, with a bit of bacon or streak of lean for flavoring).  I'm going to try this cast iron skillet chicken recipe but will use semi-deboned chicken breasts. Thanks for sharing.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

That's so funny, Giselle:  cooked to death collards.  Are you from the south?  That's how they cook green beans and I love them that way (my family thinks I'm strange but I prefer my green beans southern style, with a bit of bacon or streak of lean for flavoring).  I'm going to try this cast iron skillet chicken recipe but will use semi-deboned chicken breasts. Thanks for sharing.

I love green beans cooked that way too.  I haven't see yellow waxed beans in decades, unfortunately.  The best way to cook them is in milk until soft.  The milk evaporates leaving solids behind that cling and coat the beans.  They are soooooo good.    Every other vegetables I like al dente.   

I don't care for collard greens or kale at all and I have tried.  People will say, you will love the way I cook them though.  Well, I didn't.  

54 minutes ago, Wings said:

I love green beans cooked that way too.  I haven't see yellow waxed beans in decades, unfortunately.  The best way to cook them is in milk until soft.  The milk evaporates leaving solids behind that cling and coat the beans.  They are soooooo good.    Every other vegetables I like al dente.   

I don't care for collard greens or kale at all and I have tried.  People will say, you will love the way I cook them though.  Well, I didn't.  

I never see fresh waxed beans anymore either unless they’re the canned variety. I will buy them for a bean salad but wouldn’t heat and eat the canned version. I’ve never heard of cooking them in milk. I may have to grow some next year. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Wings said:

I don't care for collard greens or kale at all and I have tried.

As a kid, I didn't care for greens, but it turned out that was because they were cooked to death.  Once I had them prepared differently, much more lightly cooked, I discovered I love them.  (It makes sense - I don't generally like vegetables to be cooked beyond al dente, but it seemed like a different rule applied to greens and everyone cooked the ever-loving hell out of them.)  I got my mom to start making them my preferred way half the time, and then that's how I prepared them once I started cooking.

22 hours ago, Wings said:

People will say, you will love the way I cook them though.  Well, I didn't.

I don't know why so many people insist on doing that when someone says they don't like a particular type of food.  "Have you ever tried them prepared X way?" is a valid and potentially helpful line of inquiry, but declaring, "You'll like them this way" is ridiculous.  There are things we simply do not like, no matter how they are prepared.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Wings said:

I haven't see yellow waxed beans in decades, unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I never see fresh waxed beans anymore either unless they’re the canned variety.

My farmer's market sells wax beans and it's the only place I've seen them for sale. If you have a farmer's market nearby they might have them.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

My farmer's market sells wax beans and it's the only place I've seen them for sale. If you have a farmer's market nearby they might have them.

Same here. I also grow them myself some years if I’m up for the challenge of keeping the rabbits off of the seedlings. 

• Love 1

I preferred turnip greens but only the way they were cooked at the K & W Cafeteria in Raleigh.  I'd squirt some fresh lemon on them and they were wonderful.  Wouldn't dare try to make them myself, though (and yes, they were cooked to death but still delicious).  Years ago I was at an association executives luncheon/mtg. At each table they had a rep from various hotels. One of the association folks said he never again wanted those green beans that weren't really cooked. He cut into one and it flew across the room.  Loved that image and never forgot it (and it sure can happen!)

• Love 1

I've been craving seafood lately so for lunch I had Lobster Bisque and a grilled cheese BLT. Tonight I'm making a shrimp boil with a spinach orzo side salad and crusty bread. I'm going to make my chili for dinner tomorrow night because as usual we skipped fall and went straight to winter. We went from 80 degree highs to 40 degree highs in the matter of a week and I've got a nasty cough that will not go away. So, I want all the comfort foods right now :)

Edited by Mountainair

We're having grilled bone-in pork chops with an ATK marinade in their grilling book - water with salt, brown sugar, cloves, garlic, bay leaves, and pepper. Served with steamed green beans and baked potato.

ETA: The pork chops were really good. Whole Foods had them on sale this week. The marinade really makes a difference. They were moist and flavorful.

Edited by chessiegal

Are you from the south?  That's how they cook green beans and I love them that way (my family thinks I'm strange but I prefer my green beans southern style, with a bit of bacon or streak of lean for flavoring). 

I grew up in the south (and still live here) and was raised on green beans and greens cooked that way (cooked for a long time with some ham or bacon for seasoning).  I still like to cook Italian green beans that way, but I also like the crunchy garlic-y green beans on Chinese buffets. My dad told me the other day that he had just planted some turnip greens in his garden, so I'm looking forward to having some later this season (cooked with ham or bacon and served with a sprinkle of white vinegar on top).  I like both collard and turnip greens, but mustard can be a little too strong and bitter for me. 

Dinner tonight is a couple of pork chops baked in the toaster oven and a couple of Halloween-sized chocolate bars for dessert (I bought some to give out at a conference last week and haven't take the rest to work yet).

Soy honey chicken drumsticks, white rice, and baby Bok Choy sautéed with garlic.

For lunch I made broccoli cheddar soup with roasted broccoli and a few random asparagus spears. Roasting the broccoli gives is a differ flavor, a bit caramelized and sweet in the way that roasted garlic is sweet. It’s an easy extra step that makes it so good.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 1

Friday night:  Surf & Turf - crab cakes and bacon-wrapped filet mignon, with roasted asparagus and an arugula salad

Last night: Popcorn.  Movie theater popcorn.  A lot of it.  With "butter." 

Tonight: Poached chicken breast (with leeks and topped with an herb & jalapeño salsa verde) and steamed broccoli.  (Because, dude - a tub of movie theater popcorn!  Good thing I eat it approximately once every five years.)

• Love 1
On 10/28/2018 at 8:44 PM, EllieH said:

Hamburgers and roasted broccoli.  Now I'm debating opening the Halloween candy, for a QA check of course!

But then you'll need to buy more.  Because there might not be enough for the kids.

• Love 1
On 10/15/2018 at 8:35 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Last nights dinner was nothing special (grilled steaks, cucumber salad, baked potatoes with sour cream and fresh chives) but my beaus kids were there and we were drinking wine. Here is a conversation that we thought was funny. 

Beau: “The thongs for the grill are in the drawer in the kitchen where the scissors are”

Me: “No honey. The grill doesn’t wear thongs, but I’ll get you the tongs.”

I'd have gone inside, come back wearing a thong (borrowed from my daughter, over my jeans) and told him to get his own damn tongs.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Grilled hot dog on a toasted pretzel bun with mint chocolate chip ice cream for dessert. Today is my 68th birthday - I told my husband I feel like I reverted 60 years. :-}

Only thing missing is champagne! Happy birthday! ?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Grilled hot dog on a toasted pretzel bun with mint chocolate chip ice cream for dessert. Today is my 68th birthday - I told my husband I feel like I reverted 60 years. :-}

Happy Birthday!

• Love 2

Whole-wheat rotini with steamed tofu, tomato basil sauce, and nutritional yeast. And on the side a salad of spinach, tomato, cubanelle pepper, and carrot, topped with thyme and black pepper. The change I would make next time is to use Fra Diavolo sauce instead and add some chunks of fresh roasted garlic. For dessert I had some dark chocolate hummus which sounds weird but is pretty good, sort of like a chocolate pudding.

(BTW years ago they used to sell chocolate silken tofu at the supermarket which was like a plant-based and high-protein version of chocolate pudding. I used to love that stuff but now I can't find it in the store.)

12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Happy Birthday! 

On 10/30/2018 at 4:46 PM, chessiegal said:

Happy Birthday ??? 

• Love 2
On 10/30/2018 at 7:46 PM, chessiegal said:

Yum - sounds dee-lish.  Happy Birthday!!

• Love 1

Something new tonight:  Chicken Parmesan with Pepperoni, a recipe by Chef Bryan Vietmeier of Seattle's Take 5 Urban Market.  It was pretty decent.  I just need to gussy up the marinara next time, maybe add more fresh mozzarella and a bit more seasoning (love my seasonings!)

• Love 1
On 10/17/2018 at 1:26 PM, Giselle said:

Tonight is crispy skin chicken thighs, turnip mash, cooked to death collards, corn bread.

Hot gingerbread with butter and sauteed apples for dessert.

Do try this chicken. My husband loves it especially with Italian herbs and garlic. The skin is shattering crisp. Use a spatter screen!

https://www.stupideasypaleo.com/2016/04/03/cast-iron-skillet-chicken-thighs-recipe/

I tried this method and agree it is quite delicious.  I normally use boneless, skinless thighs, but will add this to the rotation now.

• Love 1

Having friends over for a homemade Indian feast: samosas with tamarind  chutney and a cilantro/mint chutney, lamb vindaloo, Chana masala, saag paneer with homemade paneer, rice, puris, and Gulab jamun and Kheer for dessert. 

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Having friends over for a homemade Indian feast: samosas with tamarind  chutney and a cilantro/mint chutney, lamb vindaloo, Chana masala, saag paneer with homemade paneer, rice, puris, and Gulab jamun and Kheer for dessert. 

That sounds amazing and how I wish that I was one of your friends coming over for your feast. Yum. 

• Love 2

This was dinner last night - Envy Soup.

My horrible brother sent me a pic of what he was having at Mom’s midweek and I was instantly envious of their soup,

but it took a few days to get my ingredients together (had to make some bone broth first & get some of the right veggies restocked). 

96D275D1-1555-4FBD-9BBE-94832047686A.jpeg

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

It was a breakfast for dinner night here -- egg white scramble with bacon, asparagus, spinach, and gruyere.

Some sort of breakfast for dinner is a staple for at least once every two weeks for me. I usually have some sort of omelette.

Just about ready to head out of work and it is a rainy day so I don't really feel like cooking. I am feeling in the mood for some Chinese Food. Called in for pick up on some Sesame Chicken, Pork Fried Rice, Wonton Soup, and Egg Roll.

On 11/2/2018 at 9:01 AM, mansonlamps said:

I tried this method and agree it is quite delicious.  I normally use boneless, skinless thighs, but will add this to the rotation now.

Glad you enjoyed it!

On 10/30/2018 at 4:46 PM, chessiegal said:

Hope you had a great birthday! 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Giselle said:

Way too busy so dinner was Snickers candybar. I volunteer as a clerk processing voters & we got slammed at our precinct polling place.

I miss helping at the polling place, but I no longer have the stamina necessary for the obscenely long hours.  I remember how grateful we were to receive leftover Halloween candy on voting day, & now I always encourage people to donate theirs to those poor souls.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, fairffaxx said:

I miss helping at the polling place, but I no longer have the stamina necessary for the obscenely long hours. 

Oh my - this made me go check my County Clerk's website to see that, yes, they work the entire day, from set up before the polls open to clean up after the polls close, about 15 hours on average, all for a very small check.  I thought there would be two shifts!  Thank you for bringing this to my attention; I always thank the poll workers, but in future I will also bring goodies.

• Love 3

We have friends from Alabama coming to stay with us tomorrow for a few days. They are going to be guinea pigs for slow cooker lasagna I'm making in my Crock Pot Casserole Slow Cooker. The recipe came with the slow cooker, and doesn't need to cook the regular lasagna noodles ahead of time. I'll serve it with a green salad.

ETA: Lasagna turned out great.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 3