Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

*poached salmon (salmon fillet, lemon slices, black pepper, dill) on top of a salad (massaged kale, tomato, cucumber)...should have thrown some parsnips in with the salmon too.

*cheesy grits (grits, Dubliner cheese, black pepper, paprika)

*for dessert: Endangered Species forest mint dark chocolate and Polar blueberry lemonade seltzer

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The most delicious piece of dry toast I've ever had. It's the first food I could keep down in 36 hours. Things are looking up.

Oh that sucks! Glad you are feeling better! Maybe soon you can add butter.

Used the last of my pork roast to make a clean out the fridge fried rice with Chinese sausage, snow peas, peppers, and scallions and topped with a runny egg.

• Love 1

It's a bright sunny day. No rain, YAY!

We're grilling!  I've got a tri-tip marinating, I'll prep some veggies for grilling and I'm making loaded hashbrowns. 

Rhubarb sauce, ice cream and shortbread cookies for dessert.

• Love 1
(edited)

Fish for me (observing Fish Fridays for Lent) but chicken for DH - he doesn't really "do" fish.  Sides will be steamed "riced" broccoli, butternut squash and dandelion greens.  

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 1

Didn't get to eat until midnight....

*A sandwich of Lightlife vegan "turkey" slices, Kerrygold Dubliner cheese, Grey Poupon country dijon mustard, and Cholula hot sauce, on sprouted whole grain bread...this was actually really good.

*Salad of massaged kale, tomato, cucumber, half an avocado (other half is for breakfast tomorrow), and paprika for seasoning

*A pear

*Garden of Life chocolate vegan protein bar

My bff had a horrific week so inviting her over for a meal of her choice which is rib eyes with a béarnaise sauce, fully loaded baked potato, Caesar salad, and a chocolate cream pie for dessert. Plus lots and lots of wine. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7

I put a pork butt in the Crock Pot several hours ago, and I just shredded it and added some BBQ sauce.  I'll have a couple of pulled pork sandwiches for dinner (with plenty of leftovers for tomorrow). 

• Love 1

Continuing with the too much dill recipes a vegetarian pot pie with leeks, mushrooms and peas and a crust of buttermilk dill cheddar biscuits, a salad with a gazillion vegetables and a ranch dressing and coconut cupcakes for dessert. I did not use any dill in the cupcakes!

• LOL 2

Spring mix salad, BBQ turkey meatloaf, mashed garlic cauliflower.   

Last weekend I made pickled beets and a couple jars of giardiniera. When I told a friend about it she mentioned her love of pickled things including pickled eggs. So naturally project pickled eggs kicked off in the Macc kitchen. Made one batch regular style and one Amish style (with beets, so the eggs are magenta.) The former have a huge acid kick which is cool with me. The latter are more mild with a bit of sweet. Fun stuff. I’m delivering a couple small mason jars to my friend tomorrow. 

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Pickled eggs with beets are one of my all time favorite foods. I've used them to make deviled eggs. Yummy!

I’ve been making the beets for a while. Love them. The eggs are a new thing for me. I think that once I perfect it, I’ll make them a lot. 

8 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I’ve been making the beets for a while. Love them. The eggs are a new thing for me. I think that once I perfect it, I’ll make them a lot. 

I do equal parts white vinegar and water added to the juice from the beets. I grew up with what I called pickled eggs, but people around here in MD call them beet pickled eggs. It amuses me that foods I grew up with in PA (pickled eggs and scrapple) are popular and readily available, both in grocery stores and cafes, here in the Annapolis area.

My husband's from PA, and the first time I visited his family there was also the first time I saw (beet) pickled eggs.  I couldn't believe how beautiful they were, and when we went home, I tried making them.  And then I sort of forgot about them, till last year, when I stumbled on a recipe online that sounded the closest to my mother-in-law's of all the ones I'd seen.  So I made them, and I thought they were great.  My husband said the brine needed more cloves, so I added them, and he said they tasted exactly like his mother's.  He also admitted he'd never liked pickled eggs all that much.  Go figure.

More for me.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Thanks for this thread for reminding me about beet pickled eggs is a good solution for my abundance of dill!

13 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

My husband's from PA, and the first time I visited his family there was also the first time I saw (beet) pickled eggs.  I couldn't believe how beautiful they were, and when we went home, I tried making them.  And then I sort of forgot about them, till last year, when I stumbled on a recipe online that sounded the closest to my mother-in-law's of all the ones I'd seen.  So I made them, and I thought they were great.  My husband said the brine needed more cloves, so I added them, and he said they tasted exactly like his mother's.  He also admitted he'd never liked pickled eggs all that much.  Go figure.

More for me.

They really do look pretty sitting in that deep pink liquid but I don't care for pickled eggs. I tried one recently because I never had one before and I do like to try things at least once.

Nope not for me. Y'all enjoy!

But I can eat Thai pickled crab straight out of the jar.  My sister in law uses that in her papaya salad. 

Edited by Giselle

Tonight I’m having red beans (Camelia brand from New Orleans) and rice. I top it off with some finely chopped raw Trinity (celery, onion and green peppers). I’ll freeze the leftovers for a lazy night. 

• Love 2
On 3/8/2019 at 10:29 AM, Giselle said:

It's a bright sunny day. No rain, YAY!

We're grilling!  I've got a tri-tip marinating, I'll prep some veggies for grilling and I'm making loaded hashbrowns. 

Rhubarb sauce, ice cream and shortbread cookies for dessert.

I love hashbrown s, especially home made ones.  What's a loaded hashbrown?  I'm very intrigued. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Talky Tina said:

I love hashbrown s, especially home made ones.  What's a loaded hashbrown?  I'm very intrigued. 

Just like a loaded baked potato it is a potato casserole using fresh or frozen hash browns, sour cream, bacon, green onions, cheese & seasonings then baked until cooked through & bubbly. I will sometimes add some sauteed red bell peppers.

It's a good potluck dish and good for breakfast or dinner.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Do you eat it with Bulldog sauce? Yum. 

I made my own. 

Tonight is going to be za’atar roasted chicken with a garlic tahini sauce, sautéed green beans and lemon dill couscous.

• Love 2

Well, I took an easy way out tonight and heated a Bertolli Chicken Coconut Curry dinner.  First time using this and it has some heat in it, so much that I had to give most of it to Mr. P914, darn it all (tasted good initially). Guess I'll have to revert to making my own chicken curry (and making sure there's some coconut flavor in it--I liked that!)

Ground turkey and vegetables stuffed in bell peppers, topped with tomato sauce and buffalo mozzarella.  Served with "riced" broccoli and dandelion greens (steamed). 

10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

My goodness @biakbiak How do you find the time to cook all these great meals? The homemade bread. The meal planning. Yours is a table of plenty. I’d like to be half as good as you. 

Insomnia! Doesn’t everyone bake bread at 3 in the morning?

• Love 1

I tried Milk Street’s pizza dough which calls for 24-72 hours fermentation time in the fridge, it was supposed to be 48 but last night got out of hand so takeout was ordered, easy and delicious. We had mushroom, pepperoni, red pepper on one and because I don’t care what anyone thinks pineapple and red pepper flakes on the other. I also did a kale Caesar with rye croutons I made with leftover bread.

The basil in our aerogarden decide to take over from the dill by going crazy so Ina Garten’s pasta, pesto and peas with grape tomatoes and red peppers so it looks like Christmas but tastes like spring. I also had leftover pineapple and strawberries so made a pineapple strawberry rum upside down cake. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm on sort of a casual diet, aka "stop stress eating junk food" diet, so for dinner today I'm having:

*sandwich: Shop-Rite Wholesome Pantry sprouted whole grain bread (basically the same thing as Ezekiel 4:9 bread but cheaper), Tofurky deli slices, everything-flavored hummus, nutritional yeast, and Dijon mustard. This is one of my favorite healthy sandwiches.

*salad: red cabbage, tomato, carrot, fava beans (from frozen), black pepper, paprika

*plain unsweetened almond milk

Yesterday was my friend's birthday though so I had spicy tuna rolls plus a couple of other random sushi rolls, vegetable tempura with black rice (I don't think I ever had black rice before but it was really good), and chocolate mousse cake for dessert. I should not have eaten that much and I felt kind of gross afterwards.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 1

Grilled pork chops, spinach, and scalloped potatoes (confession: I bought a box of Betty Crocker scalloped potatoes cause I wasn't in the mood to peel potatoes). We were surprised that the potatoes weren't OTT salty & they were tasty! They must have altered the recipe & lowered the salt. Who knew 😽

• Love 1

It’s my bffs daughters 8th birthday and she got to choose what we ate so it’s Serious Eats version of Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich. I have never eaten at Chick-fil-A but it was delicious! Plus, coleslaw and oven fries. Also a chocolate cake with chocolate butter cream frosting and sprinkles!