Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I eat a huge salad every night. I don’t even take it out of the mixing bowl anymore, just scarf it down while I’m waiting for whatever else it is I’m preparing is cooking. 

Sometimes my "would be plated" meal ends up in my salad bowl.

I'll dice up my portion of the protein for the meal and put it on top of greens and raw veggies, add some of the hot veggies, and sometimes spoonfull of the starch (bulgur, couscous, quinoa).

Hubby says it can look like the dog's breakfast at times.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

Funny (to me) story about turnips.  When I was little, I hated them, but my dad loved them.  At every holiday dinner my grandma, who was the greatest, always made turnips "for Cathy" and I sucked them down because I appreciated that my Grandma made something "special" for me.  As I got older, I realized my dad told her I loved turnips because he wanted them and he knew I would go along to please grandma.  It became a joke as I got older.  I love my dad and my grandma!  And I still hate turnips.

Aww, that's adorable!

• Love 1
On 12/10/2018 at 4:09 PM, chessiegal said:

My wonderful husband is making scrambled eggs with cheese, bacon, and Pillsbury biscuits while I have my butt firmly planted on the couch watching TV. Happy day.

I love breakfast for dinner!

You inspired us to have pancakes and sausage for supper.

As a kid when we moved to a new house the first meal cooked was always pancakes with sausage and bacon.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

The closest IKEA is 4 hours away, but I will take your suggestion and check for it on Amazon. Thanks. 

Felix is a great brand of lingonberry sauce and is sold in some supermarkets.  I couldn't find it today so I bought d'arbo All Natural Wild Lingonberry Sauce which is good.  If you can't find either of these, you can always use Ocean Spray whole cranberry sauce.

Plain whole milk yogurt (Stonyfield Farms which is the best kind); whole wheat rotini with chopped walnuts, Earth Balance, and nutritional yeast; and green beans with seasoning. Posted because the combination of pasta and walnuts is amazing and I wish I started doing this years ago. I wish I had some mushrooms to put in it too but it's time for grocery shopping again (hence the lack of vegetables today). For dessert I will probably just have an apple because I have some apples from the last shopping trip I need to finish.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave

I am a neutral observer in the what is pizza debate so tonight I am making a deep dish pizza with sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and olives for a friend from Chicago who had a shitty week. I am also doing a blue cheese wedge and salted dark chocolate shortbread ice cream sandwiches for dessert.

• Love 3

I had pizza tonight (from Mod Pizza).  It was ok and I didn't have to cook (after returning several items to local stores that I'd ordered online & were not so great).  I've given up on finding the kind of pizza I grew up eating in NYS (& I doubt people there can even find, today, those wonderful pizza pies from back in the day).

6 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I had pizza tonight (from Mod Pizza).  It was ok and I didn't have to cook (after returning several items to local stores that I'd ordered online & were not so great).  I've given up on finding the kind of pizza I grew up eating in NYS (& I doubt people there can even find, today, those wonderful pizza pies from back in the day).

The Bronx still has some old-school places. I didn't realize how special NY pizza is until I went upstate for college and the pizza there was awful (weird because a lot of the people who live there are from NYC originally).

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

You should come to Mayo (Edgewater) MD. We have a Mom and Pop place about a mile from us, Angelina's Italian Kitchen. They have the best pizza we've ever eaten. They make their own dough, and also their rolls for their subs, that are the best I've ever had. My second favorite is Ledo's. a local chain founded in College Park MD near University of Maryland. I have fond memories of eating their square pizzas while grading exams when I was in graduate school as a TA. Not only did our professor buy the pizza, he stayed with us lowly TAs and graded exams with us. So happy to have a Ledo's in Edgewater. 

• Love 3

My usual Subway order: footlong tuna sub on whole wheat with provolone, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, and hot sauce. And a bag of plain Sun Chips on the side. Yes it's 1250 calories and 67 grams of fat, but it actually fits my calorie count for today (in fact I have 84 calories left!). For some reason tuna in particular is really energizing so I have a second wind for the several hours of coding and studying I have to do tonight. But I don't have it too often because of mercury. I also had black tea with it because tea is awesome.

Today I went grocery shopping which, for me, a person who doesn't drive, involves pushing a cart two miles round trip over broken and uneven sidewalks, almost getting run over several times by the asshole drivers in my area who don't stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk (aka the reason why I don't drive)*, rushing through the store to get everything so I could get home before dark because I will definitely be hit by a car and killed if I cross this one particular street crossing after dark, and then carrying the approximately 40-50 pounds of groceries up three flights of stairs (including carrying the entire cart with everything in it up the front steps). By the time all that was done, I was ironically too tired to cook, so I got Subway.

Dessert will be the blackberries I got at the store today. I usually don't buy off-season fruit but the price was decent and I really want berries.

*BTW when I was heading back from the store I saw a mom with a BABY in a stroller crossing the street. A car had stopped while making a turn to let her pass, and all the cars behind the stopped car started honking their horns to tell the driver to move! The mom actually yelled at the drivers. Seriously, what did they want, for the driver to run her and her baby over, or for her to run through the crosswalk with a stroller so they could get to their destination ten seconds faster? Also when I went to get the Subway sandwich some bitch in an SUV (it's usually an SUV) almost ran me over in the crosswalk too. Please don't be an asshole waste of life driver like most of the drivers in New Jersey are.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 1
On 12/17/2018 at 9:01 PM, BuyMoreAndSave said:

The Bronx still has some old-school places. I didn't realize how special NY pizza is until I went upstate for college and the pizza there was awful (weird because a lot of the people who live there are from NYC originally).

I'm from "semi-upstate" (Mid Hudson Valley) & the pizza back in the 60's-70's was just like pizza in NYC. No idea what it's like today. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm from "semi-upstate" (Mid Hudson Valley) & the pizza back in the 60's-70's was just like pizza in NYC. No idea what it's like today. 

I went to college in the middle of nowhere several hours from NYC, and it was really more Midwest than NYC culturally. I've been to the upstate Hudson Valley area many times but I don't think I had pizza there, but generally any place with a significant Italian-American population will have good pizza.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 1

Leaving tomorrow for the holidays so it was clean out the fridge lasagna (ie not traditional): roasted red peppers, spinach, Italian sausage and assorted cheeses and a bechemel made in the Instant Pot. Plus a side salad of bits and bobs of a ton of vegetables and croutons made from bread I had made earlier this week in the IP. 

• Love 3

Finally I have stuff in the fridge to cook again. I crumbled a block of tempeh and seasoned it with curry powder, cayenne pepper, ginger, turmeric, black pepper, and nutritional yeast. Then I cooked it in a pan with some extra virgin olive oil and a bit of water. At the end I added some fresh kale and cooked that down. Then on the side I had two whole-wheat tortillas, and some cut-up tomato and baby carrots. It's healthy, delicious, and only took ten minutes to make. For dessert I'm going to have some of the Endangered Species holiday cranberry and almond dark chocolate, some strawberries, and unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

I would like it if the supermarket had other types of tofu and tempeh, like made from chickpeas, lentils, or other beans.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave

Today I made split pea and vegetable soup for dinner and it turned out so good. It has green split peas, red potatoes, carrots, celery, kale stems, thyme, black pepper, cayenne pepper, turmeric, and a bit of vegetable Better Than Bouillon. I also had whole wheat toast with Earth Balance on the side. This will be a good "staple" meal in my recipe arsenal. For dessert I'm going to have the Endangered Species cranberry almond dark chocolate again.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 1

Two weeks away from gone so finally back to cooking! I made sourdough in the Instantpot this morning, so easy and hardly any active time and done in about 4 and a half hours than I made some mjshroom and barley soup with the last of the Christmas cookies I brought home for dessert.

Tonight is the last of the 'bad' (unhealthy) food for dinner.  Some 'little Smokies' sausages browned in the toaster oven, a few leftover cooked diced potatoes with ham slivers and several mini doughnuts. Odd choices, but after that meal my fridge, pantry and freezer will be free of everything except healthy foods. 

• Love 1

The thought of leaving the house doesn’t appeal so we are having a nice quiet evening in with braised short ribs, polenta, garlic and lemon green beans and bourbon pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. Plus, champagne for midnight toasts.

• Love 2

We had fondue (gruyere and emmathaler cheese) with lightly toasted baguette, steamed fingerling potatoes, blanched broccoli and smoked sausage. Sparkling apple cider at midnight (and maybe some Ben and Jerry’s before that).

January is again pantry/freezer clean out. It will be an interesting month for food combinations!

• Love 2

We had chicken & dumplings, baby peas, spring salad mix with lemon poppyseed dressing.

Dessert was creme caramel.

We're so tired we are headed to bed and set an alarm to go off just before New Year's. 

Tomorrow Mr.G wants to BBQ.

• Love 1

Grilled marinated pork tenderloin, scalloped potatoes, and cucumber salad. I bought broccoli to steam, but I'm not in the mood. So happy not to have the stinky sauerkraut I grew up with that was a staple on New Year Day. Amazingly, I've had good sauerkraut at a German restaurant near us, and also in Munich this year.

We did something we rarely do - entertain! We had neighbors over for dinner. I made lasagna in my Crock Pot Casserole slow cooker - no need to precook the noodles. Served it with a green salad and warm crusty bread. Totally forgot about dessert as we never eat it, and it was the husband's birthday. He didn't mind, had seconds of everything.

• Love 1