Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

36 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@BW Manilowe Do you have a food delivery service available in your area? For special occasions you could have your preferred dinner brought in. I don’t know if you are able to, but for those dinners perhaps you could get taken over to your Moms. I’m wishing you the best on getting your noodle, butter and lemon fix. If I was in your area I’d bring it over to you. 

Yep, we actually have multiple food/restaurant delivery services that can come to our facility (a local company, Uber Eats, Grubhub, Eat24, & Postmates—I think that’s all of them). Unfortunately, if I wanted to eat there, I’m too physically immobile to go to my Mom’s apartment; she has to come to me—she’s now in her 2nd apartment here & I’ve never seen either of them even though we’ve been here almost 2 years. I swear, someone’s gonna have to take pics of her current place on my phone. Thanks for the thoughts though!

• Love 4

My only experience with assisted living is the place my mom was in for a few months, so I don't know how similar they are to one another, @BW Manilowe.  In hers, each group of four bedrooms shared a small kitchen, so if residents were physically able, they had the means to cook for themselves.  If your room has a kitchen attached, maybe a friend or family member could come over to cook for you (or bring you something s/he had cooked at home).  It's such a simple thing, one would think it wouldn't be that hard to make it happen, but you obviously know best about your own situation.

I'm on board with @Mindthinkr--if you were anywhere near me, I'd be more than happy to deliver your noodles.  You have all my good wishes.

• Love 3
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

My only experience with assisted living is the place my mom was in for a few months, so I don't know how similar they are to one another, @BW Manilowe.  In hers, each group of four bedrooms shared a small kitchen, so if residents were physically able, they had the means to cook for themselves.  If your room has a kitchen attached, maybe a friend or family member could come over to cook for you (or bring you something s/he had cooked at home).  It's such a simple thing, one would think it wouldn't be that hard to make it happen, but you obviously know best about your own situation.

I'm on board with @Mindthinkr--if you were anywhere near me, I'd be more than happy to deliver your noodles.  You have all my good wishes.

Unfortunately, my room is more like a sort of continuing care hospital room-type set up. It looks like a regular bedroom, except the beds have side rails where needed & the area of the building where my room is has 24 hour nursing/nurse’s aide care. So no access to cooking facilities. Thanks again for the thoughts! I’ll figure out a way to try lemon buttered noodles; though it may take me awhile!

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
  • Love 4

Brunch today:  My husband and I shared a spelt waffle w/ maple syrup and berry compote and scrambled eggs, avocado and salad.

Dinner tonight:  We plan to order pizza (he asked for it, and since it's Father's Day, he's allowed.  He's allowed to have pepperoni on it too.  It's mostly his.  I'm not in the mood for more carbs.  I'm having fish and salad).  

• Love 2
(edited)

Tried to eat healthy today.

Breakfast: Stonyfield Farms plain whole milk yogurt; two slices sprouted whole grain bread with natural peanut butter; nectarine; Califia Farms cold brew with unsweetened soymilk (I got the coffee because my dad is visiting and I usually drink decaf -- it is good and not overly strong/caffeinated)

Snacks (we were out all day): Kirkland nut bar; vegan currywurst with bun on the side from a food stand; black tea; blueberry RxBar

Dinner (having in a bit): leftovers that I cooked yesterday -- breaded tilapia, wild rice blend with Earth Balance, steamed broccoli, lemon juice for seasoning

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave

Stress has been causing me a few ailments lately, including lack of appetite and food not tasting as good as normal, but I started feeling a good deal better yesterday morning.  I didn't eat during the day, even though I hadn't had anything Saturday other than a bowl of mushroom soup for lunch and a basic side salad for dinner, but I did have my traditional Sunday morning Bloody Marys and my taste buds actually registered them properly, so I was optimistic.  Indeed, I was able to fully enjoy crab cakes last night for my dad's Father's Day dinner.  He wanted potatoes of some sort, so I made oven roasted fingerling, red, and purple potatoes with rosemary and garlic for him and my mom (I hate potatoes), and roasted some asparagus also with rosemary and garlic.  The salad was spinach with mushrooms and a warm bacon dressing.

Today I've had a small mixed greens salad with walnuts, feta, and balsamic vinaigrette, and I can already tell I will be hungry for dinner, so I'm going to roast a chicken and some broccoli tonight (salad to be determined; maybe arugula based).  I have a rib-eye steak in the refrigerator, so hopefully I'll keep improving and by tomorrow night I'll be up for that big a meal.

• Love 4
(edited)

Hoping to actually stay on the healthy eating track...as long as I get to the supermarket every week and do a bit of (simple) meal prep I should be able to do it.

Breakfast: same thing as yesterday

Lunch: leftover wild rice blend and steamed broccoli topped with pine nut hummus and nutritional yeast; a large salad of spinach, tomato, cubanelle pepper, and shredded carrots topped with hot sauce; fish oil and vitamin D3 supplements

Dinner: whole-wheat spaghetti with Earth Balance and lemon (I was inspired by the discussion here from a few days ago...not sure I ever tried lemon on my butter noodles before but it was good...@BW Manilowe I hope that you will be able to get access to them and any other food you want!)

Dessert: Larabar in blueberry muffin flavor, loose-leaf decaf green tea

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

Hoping to actually stay on the healthy eating track...as long as I get to the supermarket every week and do a bit of (simple) meal prep I should be able to do it.

Breakfast: same thing as yesterday

Lunch: leftover wild rice blend and steamed broccoli topped with pine nut hummus and nutritional yeast; a large salad of spinach, tomato, cubanelle pepper, and shredded carrots topped with hot sauce; fish oil and vitamin D3 supplements

Dinner: whole-wheat spaghetti with Earth Balance and lemon (I was inspired by the discussion here from a few days ago...not sure I ever tried lemon on my butter noodles before but it was good...@BW Manilowe I hope that you will be able to get access to them and any other food you want!)

Dessert: Larabar in blueberry muffin flavor, loose-leaf decaf green tea

They changed the meal that was supposed to have had the buttered noodles on Sunday at the last minute (which they seem to do a lot, & then they never update at least some residents that they changed it until they call to order the meal involved using the original menu), because it was Father’s Day. So I haven’t gotten a chance to try the noodles with lemon yet.

But we’re supposed to have another dinner special tonight which is “something (& something I don’t really like) over noodles”. So I can get just the noodles from that. We also have breaded butterfly shrimp as an entree choice all week. I like shrimp (at least if it’s not raw/shrimp cocktail); so I’m gonna get some of that too, with lemon (& maybe ketchup—I don’t like cocktail sauce) on the side, with my noodles. So I should have the lemon buttered noodles trial accomplished by the end of our dinner time (5-6:30PM Eastern) tonight.

• Love 5
(edited)

@Bastet I hope your appetite returns to normal soon. Please feel better. 

@BW Manilowe Fingers crossed that you get your buttered noodles with lemon and shrimp for dinner later. That sounds like a good meal, especially if you can get a vegetable of your liking to go along with it. 

Yesterday was hot and humid. I had cheese and crackers for lunch and a garbage salad (one with anything that I like in it) for dinner. My daughter named them that, but she loves them too. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 2

I made very poor food choices today.  No fast food, but I had popcorn for breakfast, followed by a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter at my desk when I got to work, a PB&J sandwich for lunch along with some Pringles ('You try saying no to these salty parabolas' -- Ghostbusters).  I had a library trustees meeting this afternoon where there were snacks.  So, I'm just now getting a little bit hungry.  I'll probably follow my sandwich theme and have either some cinnamon toast or a bacon sandwich for supper. Not a green veggie in sight today. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

I made very poor food choices today.  ...  

Maybe I did too:  didn't get around to making a batch of my usual healthy fruit/yogurt smoothies to freeze for breakfast, but did want to make some room in the freezer so I finished the vanilla ice cream and blueberry compote with berry/nut granola on top.  Calcium, antioxidants, fiber!

• Love 3
(edited)

Quick trip to Seattle for my grandmother’s memorial service so for brunch ate what felt like all the piroshky at Piroshky Piroshky at Pike Place and a bunch of other random food. 

Dinner was old school at Canlis because it was my grandmother’s favorite restaurant had first course of cured halibut, second course of white asparagus and prawns, third course lamb leg and belly with mustard greens and a dessert of chocolate ice cream peanut butter and caramel. Everything was fabulous but oh so stuffed.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4

I did indeed continue to regain my appetite to the point I was ready for the rib-eye steak hanging out in my fridge tonight.  I could use a little iron boost, so I also sauteed some Swiss chard (and made a Caesar salad), and I hope my body has adjusted to the new normal.

17 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

@Bastet I hope your appetite returns to normal soon. Please feel better. 

@BW Manilowe Fingers crossed that you get your buttered noodles with lemon and shrimp for dinner later. That sounds like a good meal, especially if you can get a vegetable of your liking to go along with it. 

Yesterday was hot and humid. I had cheese and crackers for lunch and a garbage salad (one with anything that I like in it) for dinner. My daughter named them that, but she loves them too. 

I got the buttered noodles with lemon & shrimp! The noodles were good, except I think I missed hitting some with the lemon wedge or something (I got 1 wedge for the noodles & 1 for the shrimp); the lemon taste wasn’t as pronounced as I was expecting—is it supposed to be very pronounced?

Plus, I think I could’ve used a little more butter, or whatever they use for butter around here, but I’m not sure how much control I have over that part of the equation (if I can get extra “butter” on the side, & if it’ll still melt into the noodles by the time it gets to my room if I can). I’d eat it again though, ‘cause it was good. The tastes just weren’t as pronounced as I was expecting, which was kind of disappointing, I guess. I’m just sorry I didn’t find out about this when my family still lived at home & my mom did the cooking (or at least microwaving). I could’ve probably gotten the right proportions of butter & lemon to noodles, if I didn’t this time, although my mom probably would’ve thought it was weird I wanted to put lemon juice on my noodles.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Quick trip to Seattle for my grandmother’s memorial service so for brunch ate what felt like all the piroshky at Piroshky at Pike Place and a bunch of other random food. 

Dinner was old school at Canlis because it was my grandmother’s favorite restaurant had first course of cured halibut, second course of white asparagus and prawns, third course lamb leg and belly with mustard greens and a dessert of chocolate ice cream peanut butter and caramel. Everything was fabulous but oh so stuffed.

Condolences, @biakbiak.

Celebrating your grandmother's life with her favorite meal sounds like a wonderful tribute.  And I'm all over the piroshky with you.

15 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I got the buttered noodles with lemon & shrimp! The noodles were good, except I think I missed hitting some with the lemon wedge or something (I got 1 wedge for the noodles & 1 for the shrimp); the lemon taste wasn’t as pronounced as I was expecting—is it supposed to be very pronounced?

Plus, I think I could’ve used a little more butter, or whatever they use for butter around here, but I’m not sure how much control I have over that part of the equation (if I can get extra “butter” on the side, & if it’ll still melt into the noodles by the time it gets to my room if I can). I’d eat it again though, ‘cause it was good. The tastes just weren’t as pronounced as I was expecting, which was kind of disappointing, I guess. I’m just sorry I didn’t find out about this when my family still lived at home & my mom did the cooking (or at least microwaving). I could’ve probably gotten the right proportions of butter & lemon to noodles, if I didn’t this time, although my mom probably would’ve thought it was weird I wanted to put lemon juice on my noodles.

BW... ya did good getting the noodles, butter & lemon. It's not a strong lemon flavor. Too strong and you'll think it's got some cleanser in it. So, just a hint of  fresh lemon juice is enough 😊

• Useful 1

I meal prepped today's food (and tomorrow's) last night and it only took me an hour including cleanup (unfortunately we don't have a dishwasher in our apartment, so washing all the food-making apparatuses always takes forever). Now that my MIL moved out and she and her stuff aren't in the way, and we have a blender, the meal prep process is much easier and I have a greater chance of actually doing it regularly.

Breakfast: A smoothie (hemp protein powder, chia seeds, cacao powder, unsweetened soymilk, unsweetened oat milk, frozen mixed berries); plain whole milk yogurt; two buttermilk and vanilla flavor Kodiak Cakes "power waffles" (healthier frozen waffles made with whole grain flour, egg whites, and protein powder); fish oil and vitamin D3 capsules

Lunch: A sandwich of natural peanut butter on sprouted whole grain bread; spicy dry roasted peas; banana chocolate chip Larabar...nothing too complicated since it was on the go so I couldn't bring anything that would go bad.

Snack: Iced coffee with milk and one Sugar in the Raw packet. I have been trying to avoid coffee but I got bored of studying at the library and went to my favorite local coffee shop... I have to ask next time if they have decaf iced coffee though.

Dinner: A bowl with all of these things: tofu sauteed with olive oil, fresh spinach, turmeric, black pepper, paprika, and red pepper flakes; quinoa; shiitake mushrooms. Also a side salad of tomato, cubanelle pepper, and shredded carrots. I don't like the taste or texture of quinoa that much but it's healthy so I make myself eat it every once in a while. It's actually decent in this recipe though because the other flavors and textures cover it up a bit.

2 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

I don't like the taste or texture of quinoa that much but it's healthy so I make myself eat it every once in a while.

I used to feel that way about brown rice when I switched from white rice (I still have white rice occasionally, when brown rice just won't do--such as with gumbo).  I think it was all the extra chewing I had to do with brown rice.  I like it now.  I haven't tried quinoa yet.  Maybe I'll like it when I get used to it (sometimes I get tired of brown rice).

• Love 1

We had Katie Lee's Breakfast Bread last night for supper and Spicy Mango Salad.  I used Wegmans brand naan and didn't really care for it--it didn't get toasty in the oven like the regular brands do.  Supermarket brands are not always the best, in my experience. Unfortunately, Wegmans drops certain brands & just sells their own brand in some foods. They did a survey about their brands vs regular brands, recently, so I let them know how I felt about that ☺️

• Love 1

Hardboiled egg whites x 2 plus kefir mixed with fibre powder and a bit of Ezekiel cereal (like 1/8 of a cup) for breakfast.  Water and a latte to wash it all down.

A bowl with kale, brown rice, chicken and other veggies for lunch (water and a plum afterwards)

Dinner tonight?  I plan to heat up a sweet potato and turkey shepherd's pie (I guess it's technically not a shepherd's pie in this case, but it's store bought and that's how it's labelled.  Ummm, should it be called Thanksgiving leftovers pie? Even though we're nowhere NEAR Thanksgiving?).  

• Love 1

Grilled ribeye steak with baked potatoes and steamed asparagus for dinner tonight. Last night was to be the same but with grilled salmon. Thunderstorms were too severe to grill the salmon, so I remembered how to broil it in my Breville countertop oven. The salmon came out perfectly.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Grilled ribeye steak with baked potatoes and steamed asparagus for dinner tonight. Last night was to be the same but with grilled salmon. Thunderstorms were too severe to grill the salmon, so I remembered how to broil it in my Breville countertop oven. The salmon came out perfectly.

How long in the broiler and at what temperature?  I have a Breville countertop/toaster oven too!  Love it (though I've only used the air fryer mode once or twice)!

2 minutes ago, PRgal said:

How long in the broiler and at what temperature?  I have a Breville countertop/toaster oven too!  Love it (though I've only used the air fryer mode once or twice)!

I just set it on the broiler setting, and set it for 10 minutes, then added another 3. I think broiler is 500F. Only downside to doing salmon inside is it stinks up the kitchen, therefore making outside grilling preferable.

I actually did pretty well on not eating out this week (just had a couple of drinks and snacks while working at coffee shops and went out to dinner with friends yesterday). But today I pretty much ONLY ate out because we took a beach trip...oh well. It was a perfect beach day and the water was insanely calm, and we did a lot of walking. I didn't even plan to go swimming but the ocean was so nice that I went in wearing a casual dress and workout leggings LOL.

Breakfast/Lunch: oat milk that had to be finished up; Starbucks everything bagel with cream cheese (I wanted the spinach and feta egg white wrap but they were out); a "gluten-free protein brownie" from a fancy coffee shop I went to yesterday (it sounds bad but it was actually REALLY good...I've been craving brownies for a few weeks too); Starbucks unsweetened iced green tea

Snack: There was a Playa Bowls stand on the beach (a popular local smoothie chain) so I got a smoothie with chocolate protein powder, peanut butter, banana, and coconut milk. It was a little bit too peanut butter-y for my taste but still good.

Dinner: two slices of pizza from our favorite local pizza place, with tons of red pepper flakes, oregano, and garlic powder; lemon seltzer.

Going to have some decaf green tea now.

• Love 1

Babysitting an 8 year old who gets to decide what she wants to learn how to cook so it will be a carbtastic dinner of spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread and an arugula salad (she has to choose one green to eat) and homemade ice cream sandwiches for dessert.

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Babysitting an 8 year old who gets to decide what she wants to learn how to cook so it will be a carbtastic dinner of spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread and an arugula salad (she has to choose one green to eat) and homemade ice cream sandwiches for dessert.

Hey, that all sounds great to me! Also great that her parents want her to learn cooking skills early...I was usually not even allowed in the kitchen if the stove was on despite wanting to learn and as you can tell from my posts I'm not exactly a gourmet chef, LOL.

Speaking of which...another day of mostly eating out because we were doing work at Starbucks for a lot of it.

Lunch (skipped breakfast): Chili's mushroom swiss burger with black bean patty instead of beef, and black beans on the side instead of fries; an unsweetened iced tea; fish oil and vitamin D3. I know people hate on "fast-casual" places like Chili's as being pedestrian, but my uncouth self likes it for what it is LOL, plus they have a lot of good vegetarian options (they could go lighter on the sodium though).

Snacks at Starbucks: unsweetened iced black tea, hot chocolate made with soymilk, butter croissant

Dinner (really a compendium of snacks and things that had to be used up): a massive vegetable plate of green beans (with Dijon mustard for dipping), tomato, cubanelle pepper, radishes, radish greens, and shredded carrots; some leftover white bean chips and sweet chili quinoa puffs; leftover pine nut hummus with nutritional yeast; leftover salsa

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave

Used the discard of my sourdough starter to make biscuits to use as buns for cheeseburgers with caramelized onions and arugula, potato salad with eggs and dill and corn on the cob. 

• Love 1

For lunch I had a Big Salad (TM Elaine Benes, Seinfeld) with arugula, shaved parmesan, candied walnuts, tomato, caramelized red onion, and Persian cucumber, with balsamic vinaigrette.

Dinner will be baked salmon (with a dill and garlic tartar sauce on the side), roasted asparagus, and the little bit of the salad I didn't finish (I figure things can't wilt in the dressing too badly in that time).  The salmon is because my cat loves being treated to several bites of salmon whenever I make it, and today is the third anniversary of her adoption.  (So, yes, fish as the feline equivalent of a birthday cake.)

• Love 5

Using more of the biscuits to have an oh so healthy breakfast for dinner with country gravy sausage and biscuits with a fried egg. I will dress some arugula in lemon and olive oil so there will be green on the plate and to make it a complete meal I will add mango juice to Prosecco which is two fruits!   

• Love 4

We're in the middle of "June gloom", so it's been overcast and cool. So tonight it's grilled lamb steaks, couscous with apricots and almonds, grilled asparagus. Warm baked custard for dessert.

For dinner I got to do the “lemon buttered noodles” thing again. I also managed to get enough lemon squeezed out so the taste was more prevalent, or maybe the kitchen managed to get more butter (or whatever they use for butter where I live) on the noodles that ended up on my plate, & I thought it was better than the last time.

I had them with  an order (3 pieces) of fried grouper, which was our designated seafood of the day & my way of getting ahold of the lemon for the noodles (the kitchen knows I sometimes eat weird things together/am a picky eater, etc., since I’ve been living here for almost 2 years, but it’s gonna take me awhile to order “an order of just the noodles from the ‘whatever over noodles’ special & a lemon wedge or 2” without ordering something with the noodles & lemon (besides salads, which I hate) that gives me a believable reason to ask for the lemon wedges to go with my dinner (or lunch, when appropriate).

• Love 5

A deviled egg mid-morning. My husband had a medical emergency at the gym this afternoon, and went by ambulance to the ER. He's doing well, spending the night in the hospital for observation, but I have no appetite at all. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

A deviled egg mid-morning. My husband had a medical emergency at the gym this afternoon, and went by ambulance to the ER. He's doing well, spending the night in the hospital for observation, but I have no appetite at all. 

I hope everything goes well and your husband is back home tomorrow.  Try and have some fluids.  

• Love 5

I had a yogurt parfait at the hospital cafeteria for lunch. My husband was discharged late this afternoon. He's had nausea and no appetite. He did eat some vanilla ice cream that came with his lunch. He also had a popsicle. He just asked for vanilla yogurt so I got him some. I've eaten a pack of pretzels they gave him he didn't want, plus some dressing with gravy that came with dinner before he left.

He's doing really well, but I'm exhausted (he is too). Thank goodness for our good health care. Not everyone is as fortunate.

• Love 9

Glad that you and your husband are both home. He will rest better in his own bed. I’m glad this wasn’t anything big and your appetites are returning. I’m sure you can order in delivery for dinner so that you aren’t stressed. Be well.  Both of you. 

Last night was chops, green beans and a tomato salad which came from my plant (with shallots, basil, parsley, garlic, mozzarella, SnP, and red wine vinegar and olive oil). It tasted so fresh. 

• Love 3