Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

salad with ☺ Italian dressing!

There is no such thing as a good salad dressing for his snobby ass. It’s EVOO and (only) a certain brand of red wine vinegar plus S&P. Sometimes I feel for him because he is so locked into his beliefs and unwillingness to taste things. Like Mexican, Indian  or Chinese food. I’m much more food flexible. 

18 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Bratwurst, steamed broccoli and small bites of potatoes fried until golden brown. Last night was (I know this is politically incorrect for some, but my beau hails from Italy and it’s a normal thing to eat over there) Osso Bucco, truffle risotto, asparagus and cannolis and Hennessy’s cognac for dessert. Oh, espresso too. 

Tomorrow I'm going to marinate a flank steak (soy sauce, olive oil, ginger and garlic) which is something he is wary of. Just something they don’t eat over there like baked potatoes. That’s such a staple in steakhouses here that I find it weird that they never eat them. So the steak...hmm...what to go with it? 

Where is he from that they don't eat potatoes?

For reasons known only to him my boyfriend keeps buying bags of chickpeas every time he goes to this one particular store because each time he says “it’s such a good deal” so we might have a lifetime supply so made falafel, hummus, tzatziki, tabbouleh, and pita and washed it down with rose.

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 3
19 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I had a week of birthday dinners so this is the first meal I have cooked in a bit I made a Korean marinade for chicken thighs, kimchi green beans and rice.

Happy belated birthday! (If I recall, I think we have the same birthday!) Hope it was a great day.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Happy belated birthday! (If I recall, I think we have the same birthday!) Hope it was a great day.

I was served a quarter of a pig with a lobster on top (it served three with tons of extras)! Hope your bday served you well!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

We had sausage and mushroom pizza from the mom and pop shop about 0.5 miles from our house. They make their own dough (and rolls for subs). They don't deliver, but they are so close it doesn't matter. They are open Wed-Sunday. There is a handwritten sign in the window that says "Closed Monday and Tuesday because I'm old". 😀

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 9/15/2019 at 2:49 PM, chessiegal said:

Where is he from that they don't eat potatoes?

Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I’ve been away and there’s no WiFi there. He is from Italy. Born in the Venice area. His mother had her first baked potato (she had come over to America to see her son) when she was 80 years old because they don’t do baked potatoes there. They use them for other things like gnocchi. 

• Useful 1

It was my perfect sunny and 65, the thought of snow in September makes me want to break out my flannel pjs just reading about it!

Topped leftover polenta with Italian sausage, mushrooms, red pepper, tomato sauce and mozzarella and did a polenta bake with a salad with a bunch of veggies from the farmer’s market.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It was my perfect sunny and 65, the thought of snow in September makes me want to break out my flannel pjs just reading about it!

Yeah it was a record breaking snowfall for the state for this time of year, fortunately my area only got a little snow, other areas got feet of snow. The governor has declared a state of emergency. Temp here is 34°.

Crack slaw is my go to warm the tummy meal. Lots of sriracha!

Edited by Gramto6
Typo
2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Snowy day here in MT. Made Crack Slaw for dinner. Google it, it is so good it is addictive!

Hmm.  The pictures I saw were not at first glance something I'd get excited about, but as I read the ingredients of a few recipes I realized it could indeed be an easy, flavorful dish I'd enjoy.  Which ground meat do you use?  The recipes varied, and I definitely wouldn't use beef (I only like ground beef as a cheeseburger), but I think it might be nice with chicken (I love larb with ground chicken, and this flavor combination vaguely reminds me of that) -- I always have chicken breasts on hand to grind.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Hmm.  The pictures I saw were not at first glance something I'd get excited about, but as I read the ingredients of a few recipes I realized it could indeed be an easy, flavorful dish I'd enjoy.  Which ground meat do you use?  The recipes varied, and I definitely wouldn't use beef (I only like ground beef as a cheeseburger), but I think it might be nice with chicken (I love larb with ground chicken, and this flavor combination vaguely reminds me of that) -- I always have chicken breasts on hand to grind.

I've made it with many different meats. Last night was ground beef, but I've used chicken, pork, shrimp and turkey. I don't grind all the meats, sometimes I just slice thinly or in the case of the shrimp just leave them whole.

Grilled marinated pork chops, scalloped potatoes, sliced tomatoes, red onions, sliced avocadoes, & mixed lettuces. A nice reward after taking our cat, Zoe, on a loooong trek for consult with dental vet. Dear kitty & Mama were equally stressin' until we got back home 😰

• Love 2

I made some type of breakfast pizza for supper last night, getting ideas from a recipe in a magazine: flatbread, fresh mozzarella, roasted red pepper strips, some kale, sauted baby bella mushrooms, sweet Italian chicken sausage, baked with sunny side eggs on top.  Other than being tough to cut...it was quite tasty! 

• Love 1

I got an email from Whole Foods yesterday saying that Amazon Prime members get a $2/lb. discount on the food bars Monday-Friday. I was headed there today, so picked up dinner. After cruising the hot bar, I decided on garlic angel hair pasta with meatballs in marinara.

• Love 3

Cooks Country has a Hawaiian episode and while I wasn’t feeling their recipes I was feeling a mixed plate so chicken katsu, rice, macaroni salad (less sweet than is traditional) and a salad with carrot ginger dressing. 

Edited by biakbiak
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I got an email from Whole Foods yesterday saying that Amazon Prime members get a $2/lb. discount on the food bars Monday-Friday. I was headed there today, so picked up dinner. After cruising the hot bar, I decided on garlic angel hair pasta with meatballs in marinara.

Is that special at all Whole Foods? How do they know if you’re a member? (I am) 

5 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

You download the WF app and at checkout  flash a barcode there are all sorts of different discounts.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

There is an app for your phone where you can input your prime info - look for the Whole Foods app. You can also link it to a phone number. A scan code pops up they scan or you can scan. You get the prime discount on all prime sale items.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I was too lazy to open this email, so thanks for the tip.  I love getting my Prime discounts at WF. Now, if only WF would get rid of those flimsy cartons at the buffets that one has to fold together. Bring back the thin cardboard containers & lids that won't leak!

No kidding on the flimsy containers! I ended up putting my spaghetti and meatballs in a container in another container because the first one was starting to fall apart.

We were having a discussion about what our mothers cooked. My mom was not a good cook. She cooked meat to death. My husband's mother, from the south, was a wonderful cook, great fried chicken (my northern mom never made fried chicken), biscuits from scratch almost every day. I taught myself to cook from cookbooks after I left home.

Somehow we got onto pot roast, which my husband loves. This morning I put a chuck roast in the slow cooker with potatoes, onions, and carrots.

• Love 2

My mom also cooked all meat to.. let's say well done. I didn't know until I was in my twenties that the right cut of roast beef could be served medium rare. She once cooked a whole beef tenderloin, not a hint of pink... sad. However, her gravy-making skill more than made up for the meat being less than juicy. When I take the time to cook these days, I'm still grateful for learning from her how to make gravy.

To be clear, I'm talking about Southern-style gravy, not tomato sauce. Beef gravy to go with a beef roast, or to create an incredible beef stew. Cream gravy for chicken fried steak or fried chicken - and none of that heavy breading on the meat, just a light dusting of seasoned flour. So good. One of my prized possessions is a small cast iron Dutch oven she gave to me that is seasoned to perfection. I could cook the sole of a shoe in it and it would be delicious.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 5
55 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

She once cooked a whole beef tenderloin, not a hint of pink... sad.

Oh, dear; that's a crime against beef, period, but that cut?  My best friend eats everything well done (yet will eat raw fish, so go figure), and the time she ordered prime rib well done was the one time I could not contain my eye roll.  

It always boggles my mind to look at an old cookbook, or the integrated thermometer settings on my '50s oven, and see what the recommended internal temperatures for various meats at various levels of doneness were - stuff was called for damn near being cremated.  So at least back then there was an excuse.

(I know there's still one now - the simple concept that we like what we like - but in certain situations it still doesn't compute in my brain.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

Left over pot roast from the slow cooker last night. It turned out really well. I had forgotten what a pain it is to clean the ceramic insert in my 6.5 Qt. All-Clad Slow Cooker - it's so heavy. The All-Clad web site says it's dishwasher safe, but I'm not comfortable with that.

Whole Foods sent an email today saying Prime member can get $2 off per pound on boneless chuck roast from 10/9-15. Not sure I want to make pot roast again so soon, but I'm guessing it would freeze well.

I had Maryland crab soup with a warm crusty roll for lunch at an out-of-the-way waterfront restaurant. My husband didn't want to go, went to the gym instead, so I took myself. It was delightful.

• Love 1

Chicken enchiladas. I've never made them before, but they look easy enough. My grocery store gave me a free packet (worth 99 cents) of Old El Paso chipotle chicken slow cooker seasoning mix. Thankfully, the ingredients fit in my 3 Qt. slow cooker. . 

• Love 1

I love chicken enchiladas - with green sauce, not red (I'll eat them with red, but when I make or order them, it's verde).  The sauce I make is really simple - sour cream base with chopped tomatillo, cilantro, and jalapeño - and I haven't had enchiladas in a while, so next time I go shopping I will pick up tomatillos (I always have the other ingredients) and make some.  Thanks for the inspiration.

• Love 1

My new neighbor was having difficulty getting his cable/internet set up so I let him use my WiFi. Turns out he is the owner of one of the best ramen places in the city (I rarely go because it’s regularly an hour plus wait) and as a thank you he brought me some tori paitan chashu ramen and a number to text so I will never have to stand in line again. I am so excited for fall/winter to actually hit so I can warm up with yummy ramen whenever I want! 

• Love 6
On 10/11/2019 at 11:35 AM, chessiegal said:

Chicken enchiladas. I've never made them before, but they look easy enough. My grocery store gave me a free packet (worth 99 cents) of Old El Paso chipotle chicken slow cooker seasoning mix. Thankfully, the ingredients fit in my 3 Qt. slow cooker. . 

Quoting myself because I am so pleased with how the slow cooker chicken turned out. Three large skinless boneless chicken breasts sprinkled with the chipotle enchilada seasoning mix, one sliced onion, and one can of enchilada sauce cooked on low heat for 7 hours. The chicken was so tender it was already falling apart when I took it out of the pot, so shredding it was a breeze. There was enough enchilada sauce in the pot to cover the chicken wrapped in tortillas, then topped with cheese before heating through in my stove top oven.

I have enough leftover chicken to make chicken tacos or more enchiladas.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Ina's Italian Wedding Soup for supper.

Yum. I think I will make that this week. I always double the meatball recipe and freeze them for pita sandwiches.

I made some chicken doner didn’t feel like making flatbread luckily there is a place that makes awesome pide a block from my house so picked up some and some baklava.

• Love 2

Soup is strictly for lunch for me, and I just finished the last bowl of my latest batch of that soup earlier this week.  (I roast whole chicken so often, I make a lot of chicken stock, so I pretty much always have some sort of soup in the fridge.)  Ina's wedding soup is one of my favorites, but with some modifications.  I've taken to omitting the pasta (I used to make it separately, then add the appropriate amount to each bowl as I reheated portions of the soup, but the last several times I've just skipped it and don't miss it) and I almost always omit the carrots as I don't particularly care for carrots, especially cooked (in a mirepoix situation like this, they're fine, but I don't need that leg of the triad, so if I don't have carrots - which I usually don't - I just skip them).  I use quite a bit more spinach than the recipe calls for.

I was going to make fettucine alfredo (with chicken, mushrooms, and spinach) tonight, and I still might, but I also might just get lazy and order pizza.  It will probably depend on what mood I'm in after this football game.