Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

(edited)

Dinner tonight was some kind of Indian chicken concoction.  I had cut up chicken, a jar of Indian simmering sauce from TJ's, and tzatziki from a previous meal. Tossed in seasonings & frozen peas, baked some TJ's frozen naan, made rice, and waa--laa...a weird chicken masala! Served w/ tzatziki, a good Greek sauce, it was a United Nations meal.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Dinner tonight was some kind of Indian chicken concoction.  I had cut up chicken, a jar of Indian simmering sauce from TJ's, and tzatziki from a previous meal. Tossed in seasonings & frozen peas, baked some TJ's frozen naan, made rice, and waa--laa...a weird chicken masala! Served w/ tzatziki, a good Greek sauce, it was a United Nations meal.

I too have made that exact meal! 

I may have cereal for dinner.

• Love 2

First of what I am assuming is going to be a lot of panzanellas for the next few months. I added the last of the leftover turkey from my Thanksgiving in July to bond the seasons! 

(edited)

Grilled pork tenderloin, Spanish    Roasted Potato Salad, and sliced tomato/red onion/green bell pepper/kalamata olives salad of sorts, with a Greek vinaigrette. Tasty meal on a *hot* summer evening.

Edited by annzeepark914

Falafel with tahani sauce, pickled beets and turnips, red peppers on homemade pita with an Israeli couscous salad and Prosecco topped with some tepache (a fermented drink made with the skins and core of pineapple).

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Shrimp curry & Spicy Mango Salad. It's too hot to grill (100° in metro DC area).

No kidding hot! I volunteered at the Annapolis Visitor Booth at City Dock this pm, and I could not believe how many people were out. My husband texted me about 3 and said the temperature on our back porch was 100.8, and that was in the shade. I picked up a jumbo lump crab cake on the way home to share.

3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I told my husband I was going to the grocery store early tomorrow before it gets too hot. His response was I’d have to get up at 4:30 am. I’m thinking a potato frittata for dinner tomorrow.

I said the same thing tonight. Going to Harris Teeter in the morning...but 4:30 AM is too early for me so I guess I'll be sweatin' at 10:30. Cannot wait for Tuesday & 80° weather.

I don't have weather to blame - it has been a lovely day in the 80s here in Los Angeles - but I, too, have opted not to cook; it's 10:30, I'm hungry, and suddenly realizing, duh, "Oh, I'd need to make something."  So I've gone for an arugula salad and a white pizza with chicken and spinach; I've liked this restaurant for years, but they just recently added the white pizza to their menu (I know - really?!), so we'll see. 

Speaking of pizza, through a random series of events today I wound up looking at a make-at-home-recipe imitating the Thai chicken pizza at CPK, which reminded me how much I loved that pizza (I'm not generally a chain person, so it has been some time since I've dined there).  I may need to seek out a reason to work that back into my life sporadically.  Because,  yum.

I just found this Food Topic Listing and thought I'd pop in. It's early in South Florida so I haven't eaten anything yet today and I'm trying to decide what to take out of the freezer for dinner. Although, I have put a turkey breast carcass on the stove to boil for a stew later in the week.

• Love 1

I went to the grocery store at 9 this morning, because that's when the liquor store next door opens. Chain grocery stores in Maryland can't sell any alcohol. Definitely eggs of some sort for dinner. It is now 101.5 outside.

(edited)

Tomatoes at the farmers market were glorious so having the first of many summer BLTs (toasted whole wheat bread that’s been cooled, homemade mayo on one side, tomatoes, bacon iceberg lettuce, Dijon mustard other side) for lunch. 

Dinner is some French onion soup from the freezer and a Caesar salad.   

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Lunch was the rest of my leftover tiki masala from Friday night. It’s too hot here. 110 heat index. Dinner is going to be steamed clams, and then either pasta primavera or spinach risotto. I’d love to have this with some chilled Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc. Boyfriend wants Campari Spritzers (wine, Campari and prosecco), so who knows what we’ll comprise on. Blueberry cobbler for dessert. 

• Love 1

Spanish roasted potato salad with chicken sausage and green beans for lunch. I cut up the chicken sausage (fully cooked roasted garlic sausages) and browned them, and steamed the green beans (in the microwave, since it’s 100 degrees) and mixed them both in with the potato salad so everything was covered with the garlic dressing. So good! And multiple popsicles.

• Love 1

I too am having leftover Tikka Masala, for dinner though, not for lunch. Baby Spring green salad with organic lemon tarragon dressing and cherry tomatoes. Half a peach for dessert.

• Love 1
(edited)
35 minutes ago, AngelKitty said:

You guys sound like you eat much healthier than I with my creamy parmesan chicken, mushrooms, and spinach on bowtie pasta.

Hey, one day at a time. I'd eat your dinner in a heartbeat! As a 70yr old diabetic cancer survivor, eating can be a real problem sometimes. I try to eat "healthy" but sometimes I just can't. Food is a blessing and a curse sometimes. I want to eat something and plan to, but then I just can't...the thought just gags me. Other times something is so goodI can eat it for a couple of days...those are good days. I'm holding my own and just go with the  flow, eat when I can and accept when I just can't.

I watch a lot of cooking shows to get ideas of things to cook. 

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

As a 70yr old diabetic cancer survivor,

Good for you Gram. I'm 64 and presently in remission from an incurable rare blood cancer after having chemo twice and did have appetite problems. In fact, at my sickest, I was down to 85 pounds four years ago. So now I don't worry about what I eat.

• Love 3

I'm trying to eat healthy except for one 'cheat meal' each week.  Yesterday ('weigh day') was my cheat meal.  I made smothered steak with rice.  It was not too healthy because I had about 2 1/2 servings of meat, packaged brown gravy (lots of sodium) and white rice instead of brown.  Today I had leftovers, but a healthier portion of meat, just a touch of gravy and the last of the white rice (only because I had a little leftover).  I eat so little red meat these days, that I'm sure I made yummy sounds as I ate it last night and then again over my portion tonight!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

Had grilled pork chops, yellow rice and pinto beans last night. The chops were kind of tough but everything was tasty.  Anyone have ideas for leftover porkchop meat?

Dice it up, add lots of vegetables and make a pork fried rice. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Dice it up, add lots of vegetables and make a pork fried rice.

Yeah, I usually get a can of Chinese vegetables, add Golden Mushroom soup, some hoisin, and soy sauce and serve over white rice. I'm looking for something other than Asian.

1 hour ago, AngelKitty said:

I'm looking for something other than Asian.

Dice it and slip it into some scalloped potatoes. Quesadillas or tacos. You could also turn it into a hash. Use them to flavor a pot of greens. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

The chops were kind of tough but everything was tasty.

I like the really thin cut chops, so I have to be careful to keep them soft and moist - I brine them for at least an hour (I'd do longer for thicker chops) and make sure not to let them get over 145 degrees.

Rib-eye steak tonight, with roasted squash (zucchini and crookneck), and a salad of cucumber, tomato, and red onion with Italian dressing.  Lunch was just a mixed greens salad with walnuts, feta cheese, and balsamic vinaigrette, so I'm going to be pretty hungry - thus, the big ol' steak sounding good.  I may need to either eat early (unappealing, since it's pretty damn hot outside until the sun goes down) or make an appetizer to tide me over. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Lunch was just a mixed greens salad with walnuts, feta cheese, and balsamic vinaigrette, 

I read this before preparing dinner so changed my salad, what’s a little more cheese I also added some dried cranberries. 

• LOL 1

AngelKitty, pork is the meat typically used for Mexican chili verde (green), whereas beef is the meat typically used for chili Colorado (red).  The easy way is to just buy a can of green enchilada sauce and mix it with your leftover cooked pork, heat, and serve over cooked rice or canned pinto beans -- preferably with cornbread and a salad of lettuce, tomatoes, and onions on the side. 

• Love 3

Toasted ham sandwiches for breakfast.  I worked mightily in the yard cutting low-hanging tree branches, so I put a Stouffer's Lasagna in the oven for a late lunch.  I also had a piece of Pepperidge Farm coconut cake for dessert.  Dinner will be more of the same. I'll have veggies tomorrow!

• Love 2

I woke up with a cold. Yesterday we got the fixings for BLATs -bacon, lettuce, avocado, and tomato sandwiches for supper. My sweet husband took care of dinner while I sat on my ass. Life is good.

• Love 2

For dinner, I broiled lamb chops seasoned with fresh rosemary and garlic and for my side dish sautéed zucchini and crookneck squash with onion, garlic, cumin seed, and jalapeño, topped with cilantro and Monterey Jack cheese.  The salad was cucumber, tomato, and red onion with Italian dressing.

This is not a typical combination, but I have squash and cucumber coming out of my ass (and just from my friend's garden; my parents got theirs planted late and I didn't plant one at all this year) - so I'm in that stage of making the salad and veggie side based on how best to use what I have the most of that's about to go bad, and then adding a main dish that may or may not make a whole lot of sense as a whole meal.

Laziness led to a really healthy day of food.  I started off with an egg white scramble, with bacon, asparagus, spinach, and fontina, but that was the last of the cooking for the day.  I had the second half of a cucumber, tomato, and red onion salad in the fridge, so that was lunch.  I didn't want to expend much more energy than that for dinner, so it was another salad - mixed greens (I keep a container of lettuce, spinach, and red cabbage that I use as a base, and it really feels nice not to have to chop/shred each night) with avocado, feta, walnuts, and balsamic vinaigrette.

Tomorrow night will be pork chops, collard greens (chiffonade and then sautéed with onion, as I don't like greens cooked for eons), and a salad, so after today's health-fest I may also treat myself to the delicious packet of chemicals that is Kraft mac & cheese (the "whole grain" version, because that helps 🙂 ).  I don't eat it very often, but it's my favorite processed food indulgence, and I love it with pork. 

• Love 1

I picked up take-out Italian last night after a late doctor's appointment (good news received) and we'll probably be eating it for the rest of the week. Here's what I ordered: a calzone, chicken alfredo, chicken parm sub w/onion rings, fried green tomatoes, and Reese's peanut butter cheesecake. Yummy, yum, yum.

• Love 2