Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Yesterday:  A cheese omelette and salad for brunch and since it's Thanksgiving weekend in Canada, roast turkey, sweet potato mash, wild rice and bacon stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc... for dinner (didn't cook most of it.  I DID make roast vegetables and cranberry sauce though).  We didn't have pumpkin pie.  We were SUPPOSED to have a pumpkin cake (since we're a few days away from my son's first birthday) but the bakery messed up our order and we got vanilla.  Oh well. 

Today (holiday Monday):  Salad for lunch/brunch and we're going to have leftovers for dinner.

Last night I made Skillet Chicken Lasagna (I think it's a Pioneer Woman recipe).  It was good but it needs some revisions. Next time I'm using Italian sausage (maybe turkey) cause the chicken just doesn't hold up in all that good sauce and fresh mozz!

Was going to make Ina’s Italian Wedding Soup but realized we didn’t have enough chicken To grind for the meatballs so went with some corn chowder from the freezer, Caesar Salad and a baguette from the bakery next door. 

Last week, I made pomegranate chicken tacos, and ate them for dinner all week. Just one large one, thrown together in a huge tortilla. That kept me going for hours. 

This week, I had planned to make a lot of different soups, and put them in the freezer (what I wasn't going to eat this week), but I've had trouble sleeping, and am tired/up all night, so I haven't been cooking much. Dad bought a rotisserie chicken on Sunday, and we've had sandwiches from that all week. I've also had a salad mix, with a couple of boiled eggs, feta, and a salad dressing made from tahini, and a few other things. 

Visiting grands and staying at a Hampton Inn. Enjoyed their hot breakfast and their smoothies, they had a wild berry and orange mango - had 1 of each. Lunch out - blackened fish tacos with rice and corn on the cob with Mexican smear. After the rice and corn, took the tacos home.

Ordered Chinese in for dinner - we now have enough food for leftovers tomorrow, a good thing since we are riding out TS Nesbit.

• Love 1

Still visiting family and staying at a Hampton Inn. This morning at their breakfast buffet I had a cheese omelet, sausage, home fries, and a mango smoothie. For lunch we snacked on cheese and crackers with bloody marys. For dinner we ordered pizza.

• Love 1

Cleaning out the fridge rice casserole with leftover rice, broccoli, ham and assorted cheeses and a salad with green goddess dressing because there were a bunch of herbs I forgot about in the back of the fridge.

5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I made a big vat of apple sauce this weekend so pork chops with apple sauce, potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts.

Hmmm...I have pork chops & enough apples to make apple sauce. This will be Thursday dinner (tomorrow is book club night complete w/ wine & snacks).

With the beau away I noticed that I haven’t had red meat in about a month. So my girlfriend and I went to Texas Roadhouse. Yum. Salad, steak and baked potato. We ordered a glass of wine. We were asked if it we wanted to Texas size it for $2 more. It was a good enough pour that we didn’t need a second glass. Best part is that I brought half my steak home. So either a steak sandwich or salad with meat for lunch. I’m trying to empty out my fridge in anticipation of my trip. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 2

Travels took me near Trader Joe's today, so I picked up lemon-thyme marinated spatchcocked chicken for dinner tonight, and Burgundy marinated pot roast for dinner tomorrow. I'm going to cook that in the slow cooker with potatoes, onions, and carrots.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Travels took me near Trader Joe's today, so I picked up lemon-thyme marinated spatchcocked chicken for dinner tonight, and Burgundy marinated pot roast for dinner tomorrow. I'm going to cook that in the slow cooker with potatoes, onions, and carrots.

Oh, now I know what I’m going to make on Sunday! How long do you cook it in the slow cooker?

24 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Oh, now I know what I’m going to make on Sunday! How long do you cook it in the slow cooker?

The package instructions say to brown it first in a skillet, then cook 10-12 hours on low with a cup of water, or 5-6 on high. That seems a little long to me, I'd say 8-10 hours on low. I'll be cooking it on potatoes, onions, and carrots, and use beef broth or red wine instead of water.

I'd forgotten how good the chicken is - so moist and tender.

• Love 1

Went to my favorite consignment store about 20 miles south of us in a small town, that also has a wonderful family owned café with very good food. I got 2 of their specials for today to bring home and share for lunch - a tuna salad BLT sub and cream of crab soup. It was the 1st time I tried their crab soup, and it was easily the best cream of crab soup I've ever had. The soup was not too thick, and had plenty of crab meat in it. What a find!

Tonight will be leftover Trader Joe's marinated pot roast I made in the slow cooker yesterday. 

I'm making ground lamb, eggplant, tomato skillet over white rice. It's a new recipe, found it after my local market had some local grown Japanese eggplants. It is a snowy day and that sounded really warming.

Brunch:  keto-friendly eggs benny at a keto/paleo-friendly fast casual joint (I’m neither keto nor paleo) - salad, poached eggs and smoked salmon on zucchini fritters (instead of English muffins) and a cappucino

Dinner: turkey lasagna, salad and arancini 

• Love 1

I have an 8 year old for the weekend so we went “Trick or treating” at Ghirardelli square so crab eggs Benedict for brunch and of course a Ghirardelli sundae for dessert after indoor mini golf.

Dinner was her choice so we made spaghetti and meatballs and garlic bread. And now I will sleep a thousand hours in a carb coma!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I live in Montana. Yep, we had snow that stuck on the ground in September! Today's was pretty light but more on the way for Monday.

I got off pretty light in September, places north and east of me had multiple feet of snow in September. It is snowing again now at 10PM, will be icy tomorrow, outside temp right now is 24°F. 

It would be quite the understatement to say I wouldn't be happy in a cold climate.  It's in the mid 70s here, after being in the 90s all week, but clear skies, so it's a beautiful sunny day.  I detest being outdoors in anything below 60 degrees. 

I'm having my usual Sunday morning Bloody Marys, and mentally cataloging my fridge and freezer contents to figure out dinner.  The last several meals have been seafood - crab cakes, linguine with scallops and brown butter, and shrimp tacos - so I think I'll shift from surf to turf and broil some lamb chops. 

Now I need to back up and figure out what to have for lunch.  I'm craving a BLT as the tomato plants start to peter out, but don't have any bread.  Boo.

A smoothie this morning (banana, frozen strawberries, orange juice, and vanilla yogurt). We stayed at a Hampton Inn last week and I loved the smoothies they had at the breakfast buffet.

Whole Foods hearty vegetable soup for lunch while we were having heavy rain and thunderstorms.

Chicken tetrazzini for supper.

I'm loving our 70 degree weather today, and so is my kitty who has been hanging out on the back porch.

porchkitty.jpeg.jpg

• Love 5

Meatball subs for lunch (found homemade meatballs in freezer, had 2 random sub rolls and some shredded mozzarella), and thanks to @chessiegal, pot roast and mashed potatoes for dinner. I didn’t go to Trader Joe’s this weekend to get their burgundy pot roast, so I bought a chuck roast and cobbled it together with recipes from Bon Appétit and Cook’s Country. 

• Love 3

Black squid ink noodles with garlic shrimp and diced heirloom tomatoes. Trying some new items and recipes. It was yum!

Amazing some of the things you can find on Amazon!

Edited by Gramto6

We had reservations for lunch - my birthday. We cancelled because of health issues my husband is dealing with. I got take out from our local watering hole - nachos and shrimp tacos. We enjoyed a bottle of Prosecco. It was warm enough to have lunch on the porch. I had a Blue Bunny sundae for supper. A good birthday all around. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

We had reservations for lunch - my birthday. We cancelled because of health issues my husband is dealing with. I got take out from our local watering hole - nachos and shrimp tacos. We enjoyed a bottle of Prosecco. It was warm enough to have lunch on the porch. I had a Blue Bunny sundae for supper. A good birthday all around. 

Lucky you! It has been below freezing here for a couple of days, all day all night. Looking for warm stews and soups here! 😋

• Love 1

I have been on a bean kick recently between the fresh runner beans at the farmers market and how quickly dried beans cook in the InstantPot, so made sort of a pasta bake with tomatoes, Italian sausage, and a few different cheeses but substituted Royal Corona beans for the pasta, serving with some homemade bread and a big salad. 

• Love 1

As I sit here going to town on some tortilla chips with spinach, artichoke, and cheese dip while watching football, I just had a good laugh upon glancing at the bag of chips and seeing "about 10 chips" listed as the serving size.

• LOL 6